Door Lock Ring Replacement / Door trim removal

In case you performed a procedure on your 480 which you would like to share with other 480 drivers: please post a 'manual' here. The threads on this forum aren't open for debate, if you read a manual and it can do with an improvement: please persuade the writer by PM to alter a certain part. If you feel the manual is incomplete then make a brief addition in a reply to the thread. Just don't start debates in this forum.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

mathrock
480 Newbie

Door Lock Ring Replacement / Door trim removal

Post by mathrock » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:31 pm

The black plastic lock ring around my door looks were looking very faded, and in fact were starting to flake off from all the sun and UV damage. Thankfully, Joep Vrijling makes replacement parts to make them look as good as new. The lock rings can be removed by gripping them with your fingernails and rotating them 90 degrees. The lock ring is held in place via a cam that when in normal position keeps it from being removed, but when rotated 90 degrees allows it to have room to slide out. This is most easily shown with pictures and much easier to remove with the whole door trim removed as well.

Faded lock ring
Faded, cracked, and very sad plastic lock ring

Door trim
The door trim is held in place by one phillips screw inside the door behind the triangle trim, a pop clip near the top (mine was broken already), and mounting tape. Remove the screw and carefully pull the trim off using a plastic trim tool to pry the trim off from the tape. The pop clip is near the top arrow in the picture below. Careful removing the door trim as the side closest to the edge of the door wraps around the door edge. When removing you'll want to pry up from the front and then slide back and off.

Door lock ring replacement
Once you have the door trim off it's quite obvious how the lock ring rotates and slides in and out of place. Rotate the cam end (or big end) 90 degrees clockwise, then push the opposite end through to the front and the ring will slide out.

New vs. old

New mounting tape and ready to reinstall

Knows where Volvo is from

Re: Door Lock Ring Replacement / Door trim removal

Post by 100 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:18 am

Well worth doing and a good guide.

I recently used 'Finish Solution' on mine and brought them back, although they had only just begun to fade whereas I think yours may have been well past saving!