Rear Caliper Refurb

In case you performed a procedure on your 480 which you would like to share with other 480 drivers: please post a 'manual' here. The threads on this forum aren't open for debate, if you read a manual and it can do with an improvement: please persuade the writer by PM to alter a certain part. If you feel the manual is incomplete then make a brief addition in a reply to the thread. Just don't start debates in this forum.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

eye of ra
Can tell where the 480 was built

Rear Caliper Refurb

Post by eye of ra » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:31 pm

Having now refurbished the rear callipers I thought I would post my findings, meant to do a full how-to but didn't take enough pictures.

It turns out there is what I would call 3 levels of refurb.

Haynes and Vardis only actually go to level one so I assume the kit from Volvo has fewer bits than the aftermarket kits, missing the 2 arrowed parts.

Having followed the instructions and been left with these two parts I did some searching and to use the arrowed part you need to remove the auto adjuster.

I would highly recommend doing this and doing at least the green arrowed part as the amount of goo I found that would have contaminated the new brake fluid was amazing and that was after thoroughly cleaning it, as best as I could, before finding out it came apart and if that seal goes fluid will leak out from the brake lever.

The red arrow is, in my opinion, more optional as it is only a dust seal and will not affect the brake fluid.

And requires you to purchase one of these, at least it did in the kit I purchased, and the use of a dremel.

I should have taken more pictures and done a proper how-to but if you use the following link it will show you how to remove the auto adjuster and brake lever, it is not for a 480 and you can skip a lot of it but the important bits are there as it’s a similar design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm_DnizKOZM
Last edited by eye of ra on Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current:
480 ES Auto 1989
480 Celebration 187
480 ES Auto 1991
CLK430 Conv 2001
Hyundai i10 2015

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Re: Rear Caliper Refurb

Post by Alan 480 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:49 am

brave man!

i got all the parts and bottled it when it came to the adjuster!!

i just cleaned out main piston and gave it a good clean up inside, which did help :wink:
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

Ade

Post by Ade » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:29 am

Good stuff! Might have a go at this on my spare ones with stiff handbrake levers, see if I can't sort them out! Good work!
O.C. 480 D.

eye of ra

Post by eye of ra » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:17 pm

Without the video I would probably not have done the adjuster but once you know how to get it out its straightforward.

The dust seal on the brake lever however I did think a lot more about before doing it after a i bit of Dutch courage. ;)

If anyone does go as far as the dust seal on the lever I would suggest cutting the cap more to one side and at an angle not in the middle and straight down as shown in the video. You are less likely to cut into the lever (not that it will do much harm unless you went really deep) and you get more leverage to pop it out.

I did first as video then second as suggested and found it easer.
Current:
480 ES Auto 1989
480 Celebration 187
480 ES Auto 1991
CLK430 Conv 2001
Hyundai i10 2015