Front Speaker fitting

In case you performed a procedure on your 480 which you would like to share with other 480 drivers: please post a 'manual' here. The threads on this forum aren't open for debate, if you read a manual and it can do with an improvement: please persuade the writer by PM to alter a certain part. If you feel the manual is incomplete then make a brief addition in a reply to the thread. Just don't start debates in this forum.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Front Speaker fitting

Post by jifflemon » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:30 pm

Thought I'd share this with you all.

So, I started off with a pair of V3 Vibe Slick 5 speakers. They're a nice 5 1/4" speaker with a separate tweeter. Both my original fronts were shot; The left side dead, the right side crackled.

So, start of by removing the door handle plastic and door trim, leaving you three big screws to remove

Then pop off the speaker grill to remove two more

Door card should then pop off off and you can see how Volvo connect the tweeters.

Lower speaker is simply a case of removing the screws that hold the door pocket on, swap over and you're done.

The tweeter gets a little more complicated... because you'll find with a component set, your tweeter is going to be considerably bigger.

Option 1:

Keep factory tweeter, connect existing tweeter to your crossover and hope for the best

Option 2:

Mount the tweeter elsewhere - I considered this. Mounting the tweeter on the front corner plastic of the door would probably give better imaging. It wouldn't however, give me a nice standard look. so

Option 3:

Make your tweeters fit. First prise the front off. If you're considering saving the tweeters, they actually bolt in from the rear and you'd probably have to take the handle assembly off to reach this nut

However, I had no such intention, so prise the front off, rip the cone out and you can rotate the backing off, leaving you a nice square hole in which to fit a round tweeter...so, out came the snips...

and look at that...

However, at this point, CHECK your clearances... I realised it was going to foul the door handle plastic so off came the grill.

then it just a case of mounting the crossover and wiring up.

and refitting....

Lovely...

whole thing took a couple of leisurely hours
Last edited by jifflemon on Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frenchfries
Advanced 480 rookie

Re: Front Speaker fitting

Post by frenchfries » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:13 pm

jifflemon wrote:Thought I'd share this with you all.

So, I started off with a pair of V3 Vibe Slick 5 speakers. They're a nice 5 1/4" speaker with a separate tweeter. Both my original fronts were shot; The left side dead, the right side crackled.

So, start of by removing the door handle plastic and door trim, leaving you three big screws to remove

Then pop off the speaker grill to remove two more

Door card should then pop off off and you can see how Volvo connect the tweeters.

Lower speaker is simply a case of removing the screws that hold the door pocket on, swap over and you're done.

The tweeter gets a little more complicated... because you'll find with a component set, your tweeter is going to be considerably bigger.

Option 1:

Keep factory tweeter, connect existing tweeter to your crossover and hope for the best

Option 2:

Mount the tweeter elsewhere - I considered this. Mounting the tweeter on the front corner plastic of the door would probably give better imaging. It wouldn't however, give me a nice standard look. so

Option 3:

Make your tweeters fit. First prise the front off. If you're considering saving the tweeters, they actually bolt in from the rear and you'd probably have to take the handle assembly off to reach this nut

However, I had no such intention, so prise the front off, rip the cone out and you can rotate the backing off, leaving you a nice square hole in which to fit a round tweeter...so, out came the snips...

and look at that...

However, at this point, CHECK your clearances... I realised it was going to foul the door handle plastic so off came the grill.

then it just a case of mounting the crossover and wiring up.

and refitting....

Lovely...

whole thing took a couple of leisurely hours
Got my pair of Clarion delivered 2 days ago. I will keep the existing tweeters and if they happen to be shot I will go down the crossover road thanks to your How To :)
1993 Turbo auto called Skip for the important stuff
2011 Juke 190 for everything else

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Re: Front Speaker fitting

Post by jifflemon » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:52 pm

The crossover system in the 480 is VERY simple. There's a capacitor on the tweeter, that quite simply, blocks lower frequency stuff from reaching the tweeter.

Nothing on the lower speaker, which means you're effectively getting double frequency. Also don't forget that as your wiring in parallel, you'll be halving the impedance; I didn't bother checking what the original speakers were, but just bare it in mind.