How to change the fuel filter

In case you performed a procedure on your 480 which you would like to share with other 480 drivers: please post a 'manual' here. The threads on this forum aren't open for debate, if you read a manual and it can do with an improvement: please persuade the writer by PM to alter a certain part. If you feel the manual is incomplete then make a brief addition in a reply to the thread. Just don't start debates in this forum.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

How to change the fuel filter

Post by jifflemon » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:49 pm

Don't ask me why, but some people dread this job, so I thought a quick "how to" may remove some fear.

1) Jack up the rear and support on axle stands - You're going to be crawling underneath, so the last thing you need is the car falling on top of you.

2) The fuel filter is located in front of the rear axle, under the rear seat section of floor. If you can't see the filter clearly, now is the time to clean it off - If you can find identifying marks (make and model), double check that its the same as the filter you've bought. If it's looking rusty, now's also the time to cover it in penetrating oil.

3) Look closely at your filter; There's actually 3 bits where you can get a spanner, as there's a union that screws into the fuel filter on each end. You need to undo the car's union from the filter Union; Not the filter union from the filter.

(Top one is the OLD filter, with the exit union unscrewed - You DON'T want to do that! I was supplied the incorrect filter initially!)

4) Undo the exit side first - If you can't see a flow arrow, its the O/S union. Don't be alarmed that fuel will start dripping out - Just have something to catch it in, it's only the contents of the filter. The fuel pump acts as a valve, so you'll not drain your tank!

5) Once drained, undo the other side. You should have something resembling this:

6) You may have to swap in the inlet union over (I did). Also, be careful of the bracket that holds the filter in place - It's quite flimsy and if its been abused, very likely to snap (mine did!). Panic not and hold the filter in place with a big cable tie.