Dash rattle fix that really worked

In case you performed a procedure on your 480 which you would like to share with other 480 drivers: please post a 'manual' here. The threads on this forum aren't open for debate, if you read a manual and it can do with an improvement: please persuade the writer by PM to alter a certain part. If you feel the manual is incomplete then make a brief addition in a reply to the thread. Just don't start debates in this forum.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Ade
Can tell where the 480 was built

Dash rattle fix that really worked

Post by Ade » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:09 pm

So after much repairing and bodging of broken fixings on the dash surround and fascia panel, I saw a significant improvement in really bad rattles but there was still the seemingly unstoppable 'buzzing' rattle that I've come across in all but one of the 480's I've ever been in, including both of my own, you know the one I mean right? I think I'd become sort of immune to the annoyance in the blue one (#radio up) but having driven around for the last couple of months in a car that doesn't rattle (the 9-3), I found myself with renewed contempt for the rattles that spoil an otherwise lovely car and so I thought I'd try and find a way of shutting it up once and for all, and now having driven quite some distance at all sorts of speeds and on all sorts of road surfaces, I can confirm a fantastic success so thought I'd share my bit of artful bodgery with the community should anyone need some inspiration for a next step in trying to quieten down the dash.

My research entailed applying finger pressure to different areas of the dash while driving to see if anywhere in particular seemed to make a difference and I discovered that pushing firmly back against the right hand side of the heater control panel (this is a RHD car, I guess mirror image for LHD) made it almost silent in a way that the same action hadn't quite done anywhere else. Try this out with your 480's, if applying pressure here quietens it down a lot then the following fix may well be for you...

Photo, as usual, is only half the photo, right click and save or open in new tab for full picture with all the stuff mentioned below although I'm sure this gives you the gist

Yellow arrow-is the end of the bolt which secures the steering column adjustment lever.

Green arrow-is a conveniently deep M8 nyloc nut which is used to attach a long M8 bolt to the end of it. I had to saw this bolt down a little which is actually an advantage here as not having a lead on the end of the thread means we can get away with less depth taken up in the nut while still having just enough thread engagement. There is a rather large lead on the bolt on the steering column so you will need all the depth you can get in the nut. Screw the nyloc nut onto your extension bolt nylon first before you cut the end flush and back it out again, but not all the way, then nip it onto the end of the bolt in the car. Technically speaking of course this is totally insufficient thread engagement for 'proper' applications of M8 but this is only a dash after all...

Orange arrow-is a big old O ring I had laying around, use your imagination but I think having some sort of rubber in the equation is a good idea.

Pink arrow-is the final attachment point to the dash with a cable tie. It seems that putting some load onto this bracket tightens stuff up enough not to rattle any more. Judge your tension with caution, you don't want to bend it out of shape or the fascia won't fit right, although a little tension in the assembly is no bad thing for eliminating rattles.

This literally has worked a miracle for my car, the interior noise is so civilised now, I can't believe the difference :hopping:

Best time/effort vs reward for overall 480 experience ever, the improvement in driving experience with no rattles makes this one of my most satisfying fixes ever and it doesn't interfere with anything or require any modification to the car :)
O.C. 480 D.

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Re: Dash rattle fix that really worked

Post by dragonflyjewels » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:44 pm

Well done Ade ! Al will be pleased to copy that, he can't stand rattles.
ps. make your pics smaller and you won't lose the right hand side
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any