Instrument cluster

In case you performed a procedure on your 480 which you would like to share with other 480 drivers: please post a 'manual' here. The threads on this forum aren't open for debate, if you read a manual and it can do with an improvement: please persuade the writer by PM to alter a certain part. If you feel the manual is incomplete then make a brief addition in a reply to the thread. Just don't start debates in this forum.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

countryman
480 Newbie

Instrument cluster

Post by countryman » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:19 pm

I have a uk 480 instrument cluster which is to go to France.
how does the French buyer convert the readout to litres / kms as the cluster up to now has give miles and gallons????? :? :help:

JohnB
Knows where Volvo is from

Re: Instrument cluster

Post by JohnB » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:46 pm

Hi some one may put me right on this but I think you do it by removing the rubber plug on the info swich and inserting soming small and push may be wrong :?

Espada
Started learning about 480

Post by Espada » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:53 pm

Unless I have the wrong end of the stick and assuming that everything works when the unit is plugged back into the new car, simply pressing the "unit" button on the info centre control panel will select between MPG, Miles etc or KM, Litres and back again as required. If you still have it in the car change it before removing it.

The fuel gauge itself is just a bar graph that has a stab at what fuel is in the tank with each bar representing X amount of fuel, so It does not matter if this is gallons or litres. The volvo manual says two bars represents less than 8 lites so it looks like they calibrated it in litres. As you can see that part doesnt matter as I still put gallons in the tank and pay lots of tax to HM Gov in the process.

I understand that the little screw head between the unit and reset button is for recalibration purposes of the fuel gauge which although yes the unit is being fitted to a different car, it has the same size tank and same sensors so hopefully there should be no reason for this to be touched. Hopefully this should be nearly the same but could be looked at later; I think there have been other posts on how to reset the fuel tank level if this is required.

Regards

doingitsideways
480 Expert

Post by doingitsideways » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:01 pm

Insert a pin into the tiny hole in the unit button.

(I think!)

Steve :hopping:
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical fault!"
Hammers can't fix a 480!!!

yorkshire480
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by yorkshire480 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:04 pm

I would concur with the fuel tank being calibrated in litres as when you start up in the 'secret mode' it will give a read out of how much fuel is in the tank in litres.

If you missed that thread you turn the instrument selector switch to the first position and hold reset as you start the car. (This is from memory and could be wrong) Various information can be displayed from there.

I'm pretty sure that selecting display units is done as described above by Espada.

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:58 am

What Espada and doingitsideways say is correct.

The French buyer still has to live with a mph speedo.
after over 10 years parted with the 1995 Volvo 480 ES 2.0

countryman
480 Newbie

Post by countryman » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:40 pm

Thanks for the info guys. Excellent as always :D