How To De Badge - Rear Glass

In case you performed a procedure on your 480 which you would like to share with other 480 drivers: please post a 'manual' here. The threads on this forum aren't open for debate, if you read a manual and it can do with an improvement: please persuade the writer by PM to alter a certain part. If you feel the manual is incomplete then make a brief addition in a reply to the thread. Just don't start debates in this forum.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

o.mcadam
480 Newbie

How To De Badge - Rear Glass

Post by o.mcadam » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:46 pm

This is the first modification ive done on my new 480 and so as i usually do ive written up a little how to with a few pics and even a couple of videos.

I always try to make my how to's as easy as possible using readily available house hold things noting if there are better tools that could be used.

Unfortunately my camera man had to rush of so didn't get as many picture as i'd like.

To Start

You will need:
A Long Kitchen Knife (about 15-20cm)
Some T-Cut or Cif Cream
Lots of patience

Optional:
Carb Cleaner
Sticky Stuff Remover

Time: 30-60 minutes depending on sticky stuff
The badges will remain in one piece so can either be re used or sold on.

First a before picture

1. Now get the knife and carefully slide it along the glass so it just goes under the badge. Try to keep it as flat as possible but make sure that the edge of the blade is actually touching the glass.

2. Use a rocking action to move the blade under the badge and start cutting the sticky pad.
Its a good idea to work towards the middle from both sides, this way there isn't too much stress on the badge.
Heres a video of the rocking action.

3. Now with the badge off it will look something like this:

4. To remove that simply keep the knife blade as flat as possible and perform a slow but strong slicing action like so - an alternative is to use a shaving blade.
Here a video showing what to do.

5. When you've gotten most of it off you can try to clean it up with Some T-Cut or Cif Cream - if there's bits left have another go with the knife or nails (the finger kind not metal) work a treat.

6. Repeat step 5 until there is no evidence of the badge ever being there.

Then the final product:

danbristol
480 Newbie

Re: How To De Badge - Rear Glass

Post by danbristol » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:49 am

lighter fluid light what goes in a zipo lighter is the best stuff for getting the sticky stuff off :wink:

Would you sell me the turbo badge ?

Dan.

o.mcadam
480 Newbie

Post by o.mcadam » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:57 pm

Make me an offer on the turbo badge :P

strongtom
Started learning about 480

Post by strongtom » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:19 pm

Ah my old turbo, badge-less, that car really made me smile!! how is it going for you the rear lights still look good, I'm back on a Turbo now, manual, when you picked that one up I had the Celebration.

Tom
Had a Turbo, then got a celebration, then had to go back to Turbo!!!