change/remove seat covers

In case you performed a procedure on your 480 which you would like to share with other 480 drivers: please post a 'manual' here. The threads on this forum aren't open for debate, if you read a manual and it can do with an improvement: please persuade the writer by PM to alter a certain part. If you feel the manual is incomplete then make a brief addition in a reply to the thread. Just don't start debates in this forum.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

change/remove seat covers

Post by glasgowjim » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:26 am

Read this thread from start to finish before starting to recover your seats.

Front seat passsenger side.

prise off the plastic centre of large knob which adjusts the angle of seat back and use 10mm socket to undo nut.

Use crosspoint ( + ) screwdriver to remove screw next to large knob then with a screwdriver prise out the little rond cover towards the rear of side panel and using the 10 mm socket remove nut carefully remove and store panel and parts.

next

pull the metal rod inwards and over the 3 arrowed lugs , repeat on the other side of seat.

now

turn seat upside down and unclip the elastics snip the metal rings holding the front cover on ( I use a bicycle cable cutter its ideal for this)

Carefully remove the staples shown on picture below , they are also found on the little projections at the bottom side rear of seat cushion cover.

peel the upper part of the seat back at each side as shown below there are 3 metal rings carefully cut these.
you can now remove the seat cover.

The front seat back

Cut the line of metal rings
then cut the rings in at the sides -it can be a bit awkward.
now unhook the vertical thick metal rods from the "wavy"flat spring
this is the shape of the hook widen the gap at the neck slightly with a flat screwdriver and it will come off easily.

turn the seat back tensioner knob fully anti clockwise then using a pair of pliers nip the 2 plastic lugs together and pull the knob out.
Now the seat back release lever can be removed easily by using a small screwdriver to push in the little plastic lug and pull off the adjuster handle . I have shown a removed handle so that you can see the position of the lug more easily. Then unsrew the plate and lift off . This will make it possible to roll work the seat cover upwards.
now cut clips at each side and continue winding/working upwards
repeat for this small rod
now clip the top of the thick metal rods
now push top of cover down revealing the silver/shilny metal clip remove and the head rest will slide out

now work the cover over the head rest supports

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Re: change/remove seat covers

Post by glasgowjim » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:36 pm

having removed the passenger seat covers now for the rear seats.

rear seat base is easy just turn over and cut the metal retaining rings off...(this is as easy as it gets)

the rear seat back requires more work...
first using a 17mm spanner remove the retaining bolt from the side.

remove the metal rings from the bottom edge of the seat they hold 2 thin metal rods together inside each long narrow sleeve.

Now gently peel back the cover you will encounter two vertically running thick shaped metal rods using a screwdriver unhook it from the spring hook/loop you will know what I mean when you see it (its obvious)

repeat on other side
then slide the fabric up
gently lever up both thick rods and unhook

peel the fabric right back off the seat revealing the supports for the headrest...
pull down the foam and you will see a plastic sprung lug
Press in with a slotted screwdriver and pull the mounting up to remove then slip out the mounting from the cover

congratulations now repeat for the drivers side of the car

It is just a question of progressing slowly but surely doing one seat at a time its not hard.

I have done this a number of times.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:52 pm

Now having removed each seat cover you can now recover the seats by working backwards through this how to .

Major suggestions to make life easier for your self as you will probably only do this once ( I have done it 3 times :lol: :roll: )

start with the easiest seat first that is the rear lower cushion and do one at a time .
Then the front passenger seat and finishing with the drivers seat.

You can reuse the metal clips but you would have to be a total masochist to do that. use small zip ties they are ideal for the job and dont rust :lol:

Hope you find this useful at some time or another.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:41 pm

For the eagle eyed amongst you , you will have noticed that I have not mentioned the headrest covers the front seat ones are bigger and easy to remove just pull them down as they tuck up . The rears are more awkward as they are smaller and tighter.

first remove screw and plastic cover from the bottom side...

revealing the staples just pull off..
then working from one end remove the cover it will be a tight fit !

the end. :D

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:36 am

Can anyone supply pics for this ? It's something Al needs to tackle this summer, and as its GT leather we'd like to avoid damaging it!!
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any