ignition lock change

In case you performed a procedure on your 480 which you would like to share with other 480 drivers: please post a 'manual' here. The threads on this forum aren't open for debate, if you read a manual and it can do with an improvement: please persuade the writer by PM to alter a certain part. If you feel the manual is incomplete then make a brief addition in a reply to the thread. Just don't start debates in this forum.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

ignition lock change

Post by glasgowjim » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:21 pm

Here is a brief description on how to change or remove the ignition barrell from your 480.
Also how to take rotary ignition switch from its housing

Tools needed:

24 mm socket and long extension bar
drill
hammer
long nosed pliers might come in useful
chisel
awl or steel needle(thick)
small jewellers screw driver
cross point screwdriver
time 30 minutes to 2 hours depending on how easy it is to remove the barrel.

This how to covers all eventualities from a simple changeover to one where the key barrel is jammed so it cant rotate.

Apologies in advance for the rushed and imperfect explanation but someone needs this how tomorrow.
Last edited by glasgowjim on Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:29 pm

first you have to remove the steering wheel for non air bag cars this is easy.

1 disconnect the negative of battery
2 pry off the centre horn push and disconnect the two 4mm push fit connectors
3 loosen and remove the steering wheel nut pull the steering wheel off.
4 remove the black plastic housing from around the steering wheel by loosening the two crosspoint screws and unclipping each side
5 now disconnect unclip and remove the indicator and wiper stalks.
6 now remove the centre yoke this will allow you full access to the steering column. the steering column will look like this but obviously wont be on a carpet as I am using spare parts to show you more clearly what has to be done.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:32 pm

8 the key barrel looks like this ...

the silver latch or bar you see sticking out at the 5 o clock position on the side is spring loaded.
If your key can turn in the barrel move it to position 2 take an awl or steel nail or small screwdriver and insert through the hole you can see in the right hand side (remember the lock barrel is in position in the lock) above my thumb.
push the latch in and at the same time pull the lock outwards using the key and the barrel will slide out.
The latch is sprung and is held in a groove in the inside off the casing until the key is in position 2 and you push something hard into the hole and shove the spring in while pulling outwards.

If the key is jammed in the barrel and not at position 2 or the barrel itself will not turn then you have to remove it by brute force , drill out centre of barrel and then hammer and chisel the remainder of the housing out . You might get away with drilling and knocking the latch inwards if you are stuck for time.
here are a few photos of the empty casing
this one is clearer and you can see the groove on the inside
Last edited by glasgowjim on Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:57 pm

now to start the car is a relatively easy task go to the left hand side of the steering column and you will see a little grubb screw it is very small undo and the rotary switch can be removed .
you can see it in the picture above

when you remove the rotary switch (you dont need to disconnect the switch ) there is a centre spindle which has a slot in it put screw driver there and turn to start car.(screwdriver is effectively the key.) reassemble the steering column by fitting the yoke then the stalks put the housing back on shove steering wheel back on tighten nut . connect horn push and shove on to steering wheel and now you are mobile. reconnect battery.

It is a good idead before reassembling to connect up battery check car is in neutral and start up car just check that everything is ok. Disconnect again and reassemble.

If you are simply replacing the lock barrel then just refit with the key at position 2 and shove in note the barrel can only go one way so you can not put it in upside down.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:07 am

Just went out and checked if you are stuck for time then a short cut to removing the rotary switch is to just insert a pair of pliers into the key barrel side and grab the centre bar which is jutting out and just turn it using the pliers exactly the way you would with the key (gentle push in and turn) the car will start.

Once the barrel is out there is no steering lock.

Oh dont lose the little grubb screw if you take it out.

best of luck jim.

Melvin480
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by Melvin480 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:30 am

glasgowjim wrote:
4 remove the black plastic housing from around the steering wheel by loosening the two crosspoint screws and unclipping each side
Remember there is a third screw/bolt which is at the underside of the cover. Very good how to, hope I'll never need it :wink:

Raffadakis

Post by Raffadakis » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:34 am

Many thanks Jim! Guess i'm keeping you busy, sorry for that :oops: Gonna try it soon, let's hope i wont need to drill that shizzle out....
M8 i really appreciate your support, a true 480 lover :D
Gotta offer you a pint when i'm in Glasgow. :wink:

Greets
Raff

gingherheed
Can tell where the 480 was built

Nice

Post by gingherheed » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:01 am

Jim is your surname Haynes by any chance?? :D

Raffadakis

Re: Nice

Post by Raffadakis » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:20 pm

gingherheed wrote:Jim is your surname Haynes by any chance?? :D
lol some pics in the haynes manual made me think: No, no such part on my car :lol:

ted clutch
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by ted clutch » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:25 pm

your shed is nicely carpeted jim ;)

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:38 pm

no wife out shopping :rofl:

480 Newbie

Re:

Post by 5781848 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:33 pm

glasgowjim wrote:Image
Hello guys! Is anybody know diametr of this steering shaft from Volvo 480 ??? I'm looking for hub/boss to my ATIWE steering wheel and need to know size of this shaft... Hlp plz!
Thanx
Thank you for your time!
With best regards,
Dennis

480 Newbie

Re: ignition lock change

Post by 5781848 » Thu May 14, 2015 6:26 am

Also in my Volvo 480 (steering wheel without air bag) 1987 year, the steering wheel mount with 21mm nut.
Maybe 24mm nut it is for newer 480 with air bag.

P.S. steering shaft in my car is 17mm in diameter, and it must fit BOSS HUB from Peugeot 205, Renault 19/21
Thank you for your time!
With best regards,
Dennis