how to remove the nose cone

In case you performed a procedure on your 480 which you would like to share with other 480 drivers: please post a 'manual' here. The threads on this forum aren't open for debate, if you read a manual and it can do with an improvement: please persuade the writer by PM to alter a certain part. If you feel the manual is incomplete then make a brief addition in a reply to the thread. Just don't start debates in this forum.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

how to remove the nose cone

Post by glasgowjim » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:55 pm

First raise popups
lift up hood
loosen the three 10 mm nuts circled first

then loosen the outer most screw and remove this screw retains the indicator cluster at each side of the car

now press in the little clip at the side of the cluser and remove the cluster very carefully

now disconnect the bulbs

there is a nut to be loosened at the side as shown below
now reach in as shown and locate the drl connector and disconnect.
press in the plastic clips holding th drl in the nose cone and manoeuvre it out
now loosen the retaining screw shown
on both sides.
the only thing holding the nose cone on is the tubing for the front washer
disconnect the single feed tube from the black plastic valve (the one at my finger). The nosecone should now lift away.

yorkievolvo
Knows where Volvo is from

Re: how to remove the nose cone

Post by yorkievolvo » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:18 pm

Arternoon All,
where have all the pictures gone?
The pax side h/light don't pop-up no more. Can't shift it manually, even with mole-grips (think internal mechanisms are b--d).
So I need to remove the nosecone to get at the linkages but there are no pictures to view on the 'How to'.
Unless somebody has another idea - blow-torch, anyone?

frenchfries
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by frenchfries » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:48 pm

I don't have it with me but Haynes does a manual you can find a bit everywhere for a few quids and I assume that it will be described in there. It does cover 440s as well so it is a bit big.
1993 Turbo auto called Skip for the important stuff
2011 Juke 190 for everything else

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:06 pm

Assuming its the manual turn on the pop up motor you are applying the molegrips to, sounds like the motor is dead and needs replacing. Al did mine without taking the nose cone off, although there was a lot of bad language over the lack of space. It's usually my small hands that wind pop ups. Cant imagine how you got molegrips in there :D
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:17 pm

The first time I did a pop up swap I left the nose cone on. It was only when I showing the progress via picture message to brinkie and he said “wow, you left the nose cone on?” That I figured it’d be easier without it!

Pics really aren’t needed, follow the text and look around and it’s really quite simple.

yorkievolvo

Post by yorkievolvo » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:45 pm

Thank you for the comments and help but I would really like to know why the photos carry the caption ‘photo not found’. Why can’t the photos (after all one of them is, allegedly, worth a thousand words) be found? I really would like to view them.
The first time I changed a pop-up motor It was wound it up by hand, and changed without removing the nosecone, although it was a bit fiddly and sweary (big hands, short temper). However, I believe the nosecone HAS to come off as it is impossible to raise the pop-up on the pax side.
1 - frenchfries - good comment RTFM (in future, must remember that). Now got to find the FM!
2 - dragonflyjewels - ‘cant imagine how you got mole-grips in there’. With a great deal of pain!
3 - jifflemon - ‘pics really aren’t needed, follow the text and look around and it’s really quite simple’. If you don’t need the pictures, it’s because you have them inside your head. Unfortunately, I don’t, and without pictures the text becomes useless.
Now, about those pictures!

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:02 pm

so the problem with these particular pics is twofold;

The photo's were hosted on Photobucket - it used to be a popular photo hosting site.

As you'll read here, GlasgowJim, owner of said photo's had his account deleted. if you follow his instructions there, you may be able to find some pics, but with no reference to which particular thread they're from.

The second part is that Photobucket then went on to change their terms and conditions, meaning NO-ONE could link to photo's without paying around £400 a year for a special account. Forums everywhere have suffered (and thankfully, so have Photobucket!)

yorkievolvo

Post by yorkievolvo » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:08 am

Thanks for the info, jifflemon.
Although, I must admit all the references to Photobucket & Google pictures go right over my head, never having indulged in such practices.
So, the upshot is - no pictures! What, never, ever again?

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:52 pm

yorkievolvo wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:08 am
Thanks for the info, jifflemon.
Although, I must admit all the references to Photobucket & Google pictures go right over my head, never having indulged in such practices.
So, the upshot is - no pictures! What, never, ever again?
probably not if they were on photo bucket :-(

I struggle to get pictures up-loaded, but I can 'just about' manage, tho as I do so infrequently I have normally forgotten , then spend half an hour trying to get the links to work :wink:
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

WRDendy
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by WRDendy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:38 pm

I happened to have my nose cone off the other day so I thought I'd take a couple of photos and have a go at resurrecting this guide. Didn't occur to me to document the removal process for the clusters as most of us can probably take them out blindfolded with nothing but a pair of rusty spoons for tools given how often the bulbs need changing.

Anyway, having got the clusters and spotlights out, there are 7 10mm bolts, located here:

Then there are two screws, one on either side, located here:

After that, the only thing holding the nose cone on is the hose for the headlamp washer jets. I didn't need to take it all the way off so that's as far as I went, but your options would be either to pop the hose off as Jim suggests, or unscrew the washer jets from the nose.
Formerly known as 'Jaster'
Current: '94 GT & '88 ES
Former: '89 ES