Routing an Ipod cable to the glove box.

In case you performed a procedure on your 480 which you would like to share with other 480 drivers: please post a 'manual' here. The threads on this forum aren't open for debate, if you read a manual and it can do with an improvement: please persuade the writer by PM to alter a certain part. If you feel the manual is incomplete then make a brief addition in a reply to the thread. Just don't start debates in this forum.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

dodrlk
480 Newbie

Routing an Ipod cable to the glove box.

Post by dodrlk » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:24 pm

I've just installed a Sony head unit with Ipod cable. I wanted to route the cable into the glove box without hacking the glove box up too much.

The problem:
Alhough the cable itself is only a few mm in diameter, you need a hole big enough to pass the plug through.

The solution:
Use the hole that's already there for the glove box light! Not the greatest epiphany ever but it might help anyone who's wondering how easy a tidy glove box install is to know that the answer is "Very".

1) Open the glove box and undo the 4 cross head screws that hold in place.
2) Partially remove the glove box and disconnect the wires from the light unit before fully removing.
NOTE: When I had my glove box out, one the brass hinge pins went walkabout :angry: so if these appear at all loose you should probably remove them yourself, just to be on the safe side
3) Working inside the glove box, carefully prise the light unit out using a broad flat headed screw driver.
4) Squeeze in the sides of the light unit's rear cover and remove from the outside of the glove box.
5) Cut a notch in the back of the hole for the light unit that is sufficiently sized to allow the Ipod cable to sit without being pinched when the light is re-installed. Make it a bit bigger if you want to add some kind of trim or a grommet to add more protection for the cable.
6) With the ipod cable in your right hand, reach in through the hole where the head unit lives. Reach through the glove box hole with your left hand, grab the end of the cable and draw it through. Then just add a few cable ties as required, pass the cable through the hole for the light and reassemble.

Hope somebody finds this useful.

Cheers!!
1988 1.7 ES