Headlining Replacement Walk Through Guide

In case you performed a procedure on your 480 which you would like to share with other 480 drivers: please post a 'manual' here. The threads on this forum aren't open for debate, if you read a manual and it can do with an improvement: please persuade the writer by PM to alter a certain part. If you feel the manual is incomplete then make a brief addition in a reply to the thread. Just don't start debates in this forum.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Roo
480 Is my middle name

Headlining Replacement Walk Through Guide

Post by Roo » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:52 pm

Hello!
I've been really busy of late so I've only been viewing the forum on the odd occasion. Lots seems to have been happening though! :D
To make this post have some point to it I've included a How-To for replacing the headlining. Tried to stick mine back but it was hopeless so I found a replacement one in the scrapyard. Enjoy!
First, remove the two sun visors:
Then remove the screw from each of the sun visor clips and pull out:
Using a small screwdriver, remove the sunroof switch. (if you have one!)
Next, pull off the sunroof trim (again if you have a sunroof!)
Unclip the interior light clear plastic casing
Unscrew the light unit and remove the wiring
Remove the plastic cover and unscrew the B piller trim cover screws. Move it away from the headlining but take care not to damage the seat belt arms
Now pull away the door rubber and pull down the headlining plastic edge trims. (there are 4 of these)
Unclip the A piller trims and remove
Remove the boot trim rubber and then remove the headlining rear edge trim
Now unclip the C piller trims and remove
The headlining should now be free to remove through the boot of the car
Ta-Da!
Refitting is the reversal of removal... ;)
Disclaimer. If you bugger it up following these pics i'm not responsible! :D

stu chacks
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by stu chacks » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:31 pm

N1 Roo, ideal for all those peeps who've had leaky sunroofs!

Never forget when I was shopping for my 1st 480, saw one with an aftermarket pop-up sunroof - the Del Boy selling it assured me it didn't leak. Believed him too until I lifted up the centre armrest lid and it was full to the top with water! No jokin! :shock:

Shame you can't make the Lincs meet amigo. :dunno:

Stu.

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:36 pm

Nice one Andrew!

Just got to find a suitable replacement now. Great post though-thats going in my 'useful 480 topics' folder in me favourites! :D
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]

Murf
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by Murf » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:03 pm

Nice one Andrew, pity you cant make the Lincs meet, i'll look after your share of the alcohol for you though :)

Wish i had a garage to work in :(
Kia Pro'ceed GT 1.6 Turbo
1992 480 Turbo
2007 Focus ST

DaKyy
480 Is my middle name

Post by DaKyy » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:57 pm

Shame, here's another topic that should be stored under some sort of how-to area... Few months and someones asking about how to remove the headlining :)
[url=http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/ahti.peura/Volvo480ES1987RestorationProject#][img]http://www.ihku.org/~dakyy/signature.jpg[/img][/url]

Roo
480 Is my middle name

Post by Roo » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:33 am

Thanks!
I'm hoping to do a few more jobs on the 480 when i get the time so will do more 'how-to's' as and when. I think a How-to section would be a great idea, theres only so much a haynes can cover...!
I'm annoyed that i cant make the meet but thanks for offering to look after the drink Paul :lol:

ozturbo
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by ozturbo » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:17 am

Thanks Roo, you've done a great job of the how to. I've copied it into a text document and added it to my growing list of useful stuff in my "Volvo info" folder. It saves a lot of time if you keep copies of things like this when people post them. I don't know about anyone else, but I find it difficult and tedious to find things in the forum using the search function (and I am a high level computer user).
1990 Volvo 480 Turbo white
1988 Alfa 75 3 litre V6 red
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata 3 litre V6 black
1992 Alfa 164 3 litre V6 red
1981 Alfa GTV 2 litre red

Roo
480 Is my middle name

Post by Roo » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:18 am

ozturbo wrote:Thanks Roo, you've done a great job of the how to. I've copied it into a text document and added it to my growing list of useful stuff in my "Volvo info" folder. It saves a lot of time if you keep copies of things like this when people post them. I don't know about anyone else, but I find it difficult and tedious to find things in the forum using the search function (and I am a high level computer user).
I find the search function can be a bit awkward at times too. The mondeo forum had a very sucessful how-to section when I used to be an active member on there. It covered everything from mods to basic repairs.

Any moderaters care to create a how-to section? or is it not that simple?

Ulrika480
Knows where Volvo is from

Re: Headlining Replacement Walk Through Guide

Post by Ulrika480 » Wed May 21, 2014 7:16 pm

Mine was just coming away from the backing near the rear seat belt hangers so I:
1) loosened the rear hatch seal
2) made a straight cut with a sharp knife along the back edge to lift the lining off a bit further.
3) Sprayed that spray on glue (Multitak?) as evenly as I could.
4) Pulled it taught at the back edge near the seal
5) Carefully smoothed flat

You can tell its been cut if you look carefully, but its 10x better than seeing billowing material in your rear view mirror !

Robou
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by Robou » Thu May 22, 2014 10:31 pm

I drive too fast and find what is happening behind me hardly of any interest. The rear mirror is considered a mandatory evil blocking my view.
A friend used my car and complained about a curtain in the back which obstructed his rear view.
Of course I checked and found the headlining came loose. It had not bothered me before.
I knew it was going to be a hell of a job to repair it and the results would be questionable, because whatever glue applied, it will not hold.
What I did was loosen the shell from behind until about the middle of the loose lining.
Then I drilled small holes in the shell, about 2 inches apart, from one side to the other.
With thick sewing thread in the colour of the lining, tripled, I connected the lining to the shell again.
It is practically invisible and will hold forever.
Too old to bother
480 Turbo midst '91

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:32 pm

any other suggestions on best/most appropriate spray on glue to use, or what about PVA?

if headlining is removed, only need to remove the two sunvisor clips as wasn't sur ehow they were held in place

I wondered abot glue and a couple of 'light' sandbags laid on top until glue dried.

or add a 'feature' of a couple of strips but think it will look like a qulted bedspread!!! :shock:

suggestions welcome. . .. ..
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:54 pm

I used 3m77 adhesive.

Once down, used a paint roller to make sure all the wrinkles were out, then Laid out to dry “upside down”

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:02 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:54 pm
I used 3m77 adhesive.

Once down, used a paint roller to make sure all the wrinkles were out, then Laid out to dry “upside down”
thanks, much appreciated the type and tip!!
Alan

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:52 pm

sorry to be thick, any tips on how to get the side clips back in place EASILY? I've added masking tape where each of the clips on the body are for the for-n-aft alignment but how easy is it to see the in-out ness ???

I'll tell you how i get on with adhesive, but three/four areas need to be done and planning to just do one section at a time (or maybe the two on drivers side) with upside down

so far some success, glued it down but tried too big an area at one attempt,

so glued down in three / four inch strips and rubbed all over with hand smoothing/warming as went, seems better, but maybe have to e-do a couple of sections :?
Alan