How to change over a seat catch

In case you performed a procedure on your 480 which you would like to share with other 480 drivers: please post a 'manual' here. The threads on this forum aren't open for debate, if you read a manual and it can do with an improvement: please persuade the writer by PM to alter a certain part. If you feel the manual is incomplete then make a brief addition in a reply to the thread. Just don't start debates in this forum.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

How to change over a seat catch

Post by glasgowjim » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:17 pm

How to change over a seat catch , this is the seat relaese that allows the front seat back to tip forward so that the back seat can be accessed easily.

The photos show how to remove a seat catch but obviously the reverse procedure can be used to replace one. With a little perseverance you should be able to remove the catch without cutting the seat cover at all. However it should be noted that volvo at random put the seat cover onto the seat relaese catch in at least 2 different ways!!! One is just held between 2 halves of the catch mounting , in the second way one also has a screw hole so that the material is not only clamped but screwed through. Amazingly this was the case in the car I was breaking so figure that one out! It should take about 20 to 30 minutes a seat requiring only some patience. Putting a replacement in is very much quicker and easier.

Step 1 unclip the 2 elastics which hold down the flap at the bottom of the seat back. Now lift up and you will see a row of 6 to 8 little metal circular clips holding the material panels together with either 1 or 2 metal rods acting as a lateral support. Unclip the clips and withdraw the rod(s).

Step 2 peel back/slide up the lower back cover for about 2 inches or 5 cm. as shown

Now unclip one side of the "silver" spring and slip the ring on the end of the wire off its holder. The wire then slides out through the gap between the metal retainer and the rim of seat (move towards you). Repeat for the other side of seat.

Step 3 Now unscrew the the knob for adusting the tension in the seat back until it is free then reach up and nip the end together and pull out the removed knob looks like this...

Step 4 unscrew the 2 screws holding the outer and inner mounting together..

Step 5 roll slide the seat cover up as far as you can...

So far so good thats the easy part over with and should have only taken about 5 to 10 minutes .

Now the awkward part take a pair of pliers and release the 3 clips which hold the mounting in place but do them in this order the lower one first
then the middle one
you can feel it with a small screwdriver between the seat rim and mounting and push it towards the front of the car while maintaining pressure on mounting.
Now do the top one

remove the plastic bracket and wires

If the wire appears to jam it is because the plastic stopper on one end it caught just push it straight up with yuor fingers and it will easily pop out.

To release the upper and lower catches just nip the end together and push at same time . A lot easier said than done but patience and it is done.
Last edited by glasgowjim on Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:02 pm

amazin the clips are just c shaped pieces of metal that are pushed over to form a circle. I just snap or twist open with a pair of pliers and toss away using small zip ties instead with no problems. cut the elastic if necessary as you can retie and attach to a closer point. I have never reused the little clips and I changed a complete set of upholstery in Kerries car. :D

ted clutch
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by ted clutch » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:16 pm

thats great jim. my catch has gone but havent looked into it yet.now i can see what im doing before ive done the job. :)

yopman
480 Newbie

Re: How to change over a seat catch

Post by yopman » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:03 am

All,

I know it's cheating, but having pulled out the broken lever, inserting a cable tie into the mech correctly, and then attaching a curtain ring as a replacement latch at the other end does the job pretty well too!

Cheers,

Richard M Wade Esq.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:40 pm

The solution to your problem lies in 8th picture the little black lug/endpiece slots into a small plate with a hole in it this gives the outer rigidity allowing the inner cable to move.

there problem solved :lol:

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:55 pm

will post up a photo tomorrow night mi amigo ;)

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:08 am

Remember the seat shown is the UK passenger seat .

Xedra
480 Newbie

Post by Xedra » Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:36 am

If anyone can re-upload the pictures from this process, or has any pictures of their own, that would be fantastic, thank you!
1989 480 ES

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:26 pm

All my photos were on photo bucket and they were all lost when photobucket changed its t&cs several years ago