New Owner - 1992 Limited Edition

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Scoob
480 Newbie

New Owner - 1992 Limited Edition

Post by Scoob » Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:10 pm

Hey,

I've been stalking the forums the past week as I picked up a 1992 Limited Edition, K818 GWY, for my 30th birthday.

Obviously the car has come with some minor issues, so prior to joining I've been scouring the forum looking for solutions, but I've also been enjoying reading your car threads.

I am also called Will, but seeing as two active members with the same name, I've naturally gone with "Scoob".

I've come from a BMW M140i and then an M2, so the 480 is a completely new world to me, especially as this is my new daily driver, but I wanted something different as I just cannot be bothered spending thousands per year to PCP a car that I just end up returning to the dealer. I have no knowledge of mechanics or old vehicles, but I'm practical, so I'm interested to learn. So far, I'm loving the experience, a couple of my mates have already said that it's the coolest car I've had!

The previous owner, my ex-brother-in-law, bought it from the two previous owners, a brother and sister who had it from new. He spent a lot getting it mechanically sound, including a new starter motor, alternator, radiator, timing belt and water pump, battery, discs, pads and brake callipers, clutch and clutch cable, so it's come to me in decent nick, although there is still work to do, I look forward to it and really making this car my own.

My to-do list that I'll be looking for your help on is:
  • Engine tuning - idle revs in neutral
  • Gear linkage bushes - 1st gear very difficult to select
  • Replace worn speedo/rev dial
  • Replace all dashboard bulbs
  • Wheel alignment/tracking
  • Headlight motors - stuck in up position
  • Fix sunroof - doesn't open but can hear motors working
  • Replace all halogen bulbs with LED
  • Refurb black trims and lights
  • Upgrade heated seat mats
  • Sound insulation and new speaker system
  • Fix squeaky heater fan
  • Refurb/new heater switches
  • Lowering springs
  • New alloy wheels
Quite an extensive list, but fairly minor as the majority does not affect the day-to-day running of the car.

Anyway, I look forward to being an active member here and I'll leave you with some pictures!

Last edited by Scoob on Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WillC9303
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Re: New Owner - 1992 Limited Edition

Post by WillC9303 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:38 pm

Another LE owner called Will! :lol:

I vaguely recognise the number plate on this one, so must've seen it for sale somewhere before. Nice to see it's been saved.
As per the list, It's certainly not too bad and the car looks great in the pictures - even the rear arches from what I can see. I can give you a few suggestions/tips on a few things you mentioned though.
  • Pop-up headlight issues could be due to an issue with the pop-up relay. The relay box is in the driver's side scuttle under the bonnet.
  • Broken sunroof is fairly common. It's usually due to broken plastic pins. The Volvo part number for them is 3345816
  • Heated seats are broken in most 480s. 9 times out of 10 it will be a dead thermostat. You can buy replacements from Skandix for 30 Euros, but I think there are better alternatives such as modern heating pads that you can buy fairly cheap of eBay.
  • Heater switches can also be bought new, however they are a right rip-off at 9(?) Euros each. The best thing to do is sand them down and spray paint them.
  • Alloy wheel patterns are 4x100, which gives plenty of aftermarket options
  • There's a very good guide on here that I followed when replacing my dashboard bulbs.
viewtopic.php?t=35684

Welcome to the forum,

another Will
William

1993 2.0i Limited Edition

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:13 am

Welcome aboard!

You'll be pleased to learn you own a car from what I call the golden era of cars - Enough electronics to be reliable, not enough that your toolbox's primary tool is a laptop. Also much better than having something on Finance!

Your list is in a reasonable order as is and a few comments on it:

Wheel alignment - Priority! Otherwise you're buying new tyres before you know it!

Attack the dashboard/bulbs/heater in one sitting. As the dash is out, it makes it easier to get at other bulbs. Make sure you replace every bulb (don't forget Heated seat panel, ashtray, heater controls and heater switch - the latter being a bit fiddly!). Heater fan is quite simple to de-squeak - They come out quite easily and usually just need a blow out and lube. Also clean out as much crap from the heater channel as possible and spray some disinfecting air spray in there! As Will said, heater knobs are available - I don't think 9 Euro's is that expensive, but its the postage from Skandix that kills it!

Sunroof is very likely to be the pins - No longer available from Volvo I'm afraid (Although I'm working on having them remade).

Do NOT replace your halogen headlamps for LED's - All you'll succeed in doing is blinding other drivers and failing MOT's. For the popups, try the "brinkie winkie dance"

That should have them popping up and down constantly. If they do, the motors are good and you'll need a new relay. If they don't, you're hunting unobtainium!

Oh and we can't see the images - As you're using google photos, you need to add the photos to an Album, create a sharing link, then copy the image URL of the photo from within the album.

Scoob
480 Newbie

Post by Scoob » Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:36 am

jifflemon wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:13 am

Do NOT replace your halogen headlamps for LED's - All you'll succeed in doing is blinding other drivers and failing MOT's. For the popups, try the "brinkie winkie dance"
I wasn't intending on using chavvy, ultra-bright LED for the headlights, I was thinking mostly for the indicators, DRLs, rear/brake lights, and the reversing light especially as the halogen doesn't give the best visibility.
I've seen this image around the forum but it means absolutely nothing to me, unfortunately. Where do I find what is pictured in the diagram?

Oh and we can't see the images - As you're using google photos, you need to add the photos to an Album, create a sharing link, then copy the image URL of the photo from within the album.
That's strange, they're appearing embedded in the post body to me, and Will above seems to be able to view them :?

Thanks for the welcome, anyway. I know you guys here are the very definition of enthusiasts, and I may have happened upon this 480 by chance, but I do put my all into something when it takes my interest, this one will be well loved and looked after.

WRDendy
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by WRDendy » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:20 am

Google Images seems to be a bit hit and miss - sometimes I can view images like yours if I'm logged into my Google account in the same browser, but in this particular thread I can't. Best practice seems to be to follow Jeff's process, and ensure that you are embedding a url ending in 'something.jpg', rather than the long URL you've ended up with.

On the subject of LEDs, DRLs are an essential swap, reversing lights also highly recommended for visibility purposes as you've observed, but your mileage may vary with the others. Finding LED bulbs that last anywhere near as long as incandescents before they start to fail is a challenge (many of us have tried), and you may find you need to add resistors in parallel with the indicators to get the click/beep in the cabin. I tried replacing all the rear bulbs with LEDs and ended up with smoke and burning plastic whilst driving, and went straight back to incandescents everywhere other than DRLs and interior lights.

The reason for this is fairly straightforward - making a drop-in LED replacement for a standard bulb is a lot more costly than making the standard bulb, so manufacturers tend to cut costs. LEDs run hot, so ideally you want a big heatsink, and as many individual LED chips as possible, each consuming as little power as possible. In reality that drives the BoM cost up, so manufacturers tend to cut back on the heatsink volume, and use smaller numbers of chips running at higher power, thus more heat output, thus quicker time to failure. Note the difference in an LED replacement bulb from companies like Osram or Philips vs eBay equivalents - it's big, and largely for those kinds of reasons. There are also some good videos on youtube analysing the light output of LEDs vs. incandescent/halogen/xenon, and the results are not what you would expect.

So based on all of that, the DRLs are worth doing due to the trade-off of not melting the plastics and having a more mechanically reliable, cooler-running bulb (note that even though the LEDs are cool enough to not melt the housing, they're still hot enough to melt themselves, as per above). Reverse lights are also worth doing because they are only on when reversing, thus they won't get too hot and will last. Tail lights on the other hand are on all the time and almost certainly won't last as long as a traditional bulb, and indicators may just end up causing hassle.

Moving on to Jeff's image for the pop-up relay - it's funny, that picture must be permanently etched into the mind of every 480 driver, but fair point, if you're new it probably means very little! :lol:

I'm sure someone else with more pictures will be along shortly, but in the meantime the thing bottom centre is the bonnet catch. On the right there is a microswitch that the car uses to work out if the bonnet is open or not. If the bonnet is open, the pop-up motors are inhibited. This is quite handy as it makes the possibility of losing a finger in the pop-up mechanism a little less likely. To do anything to the pop-ups with the bonnet open, you have to put something (e.g. a screwdriver, pen, pencil, your finger etc) into the hole on the right to operate the switch. You'll hear it click, and then the pop-ups should have power. That switch is a known point of failure, so something to consider when you're looking for the problem.

The vaguely triangular thing on the left is the relay box, located at the top under the bonnet. The marked position shows the pop-up relay, which is double height and easy to spot. The relay is another thing that can go wrong (but whatever you do don't throw it away, they're not easy to come by and can be easily repaired. I did a post on that which I'll try to dig up if that turns out to be the case here). The square on the top right is the socket underneath the relay, and if you look at the wires and compare them to the circuit diagram on the relay itself, you'll see that by connecting 87, 30 and 30a, you are sending 12V to both headlight motors permanently, which should make them cycle up and down until the wires are removed. This can often resurrect a motor that wasn't working well before.

And welcome by the way, and just to confuse things I'm another Will!
Formerly known as 'Jaster'
Current: '94 GT & '88 ES
Former: '89 ES

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:43 am

Scoob wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:10 pm
H
My to-do list that I'll be looking for your help on is:
  • Fix sunroof - doesn't open but can hear motors working
I have ONE spare plastic link for the sunroof, I bought a pair but only needed the one

nae sure what it is worth, and if made form un-obtanium, will be lots? :rofl:

make me a sensible offer plus postage . . . ..
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

Scoob
480 Newbie

Post by Scoob » Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:07 pm

WRDendy wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:20 am
No problem RE the images. I'll upload them with another hosting site, I just thought Google Photos would be easier since they're automatically uploaded there from my phone.

Thanks for the advice on the LEDs, I'll just replace the reversing light and DRLs, then.

In terms of interior lights, I understand LED are better for the dash as they're brighter and not as hot? I think this should be a straight swap for T5/T10 bulbs, but I'm having trouble sourcing a B10d LED for the info centre, which I'm honestly surprised by given the age we live in. Assume I have no choice but to try and find a foreign website that is selling them and import?

I've just popped the bonnet and it seems that I don't actually have any headlight motors installed... The ones in a bag in my house that I was told were "spare" obviously are the originals.

Here's what I can see under the bonnet:

I can clearly see the bonnet catch, where are the other bits located? (I'm sorting the image hosting as I post this)

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:03 pm

Scoob wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:07 pm
No problem RE the images. I'll upload them with another hosting site, I just thought Google Photos would be easier since they're automatically uploaded there from my phone.
Well, they're now showing :D Honestly, I find it as easy using google but I've done it for years!
Scoob wrote:
Thanks for the advice on the LEDs, I'll just replace the reversing light and DRLs, then.

In terms of interior lights, I understand LED are better for the dash as they're brighter and not as hot? I think this should be a straight swap for T5/T10 bulbs, but I'm having trouble sourcing a B10d LED for the info centre, which I'm honestly surprised by given the age we live in. Assume I have no choice but to try and find a foreign website that is selling them and import?
Or Drop me a PM, as I've got them in stock. Re LED's for dashbulbs; I've tried and keep going back to normal because
1. Cheap Chinese shite - Even expensive chinese stuff seems to be the same cheap shite just with a bigger profit margin.
2. The dimmer circuit
Scoob wrote:
I've just popped the bonnet and it seems that I don't actually have any headlight motors installed... The ones in a bag in my house that I was told were "spare" obviously are the originals.

Motor looks to be there - look from the bonnet side and you should see the them and the big plastic manual winder. They look like this:

See the triangle of bolt holes? Well, I can see bolts in your image.
Scoob wrote:
Here's what I can see under the bonnet:

I can clearly see the bonnet catch, where are the other bits located? (I'm sorting the image hosting as I post this)
Under the drivers side scuttle you'll see the relay box and here's me pointing at what a headlamp isn't! (someone had stuck the wrong one in there!)

Scoob
480 Newbie

Post by Scoob » Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:10 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:03 pm
Scoob wrote:
Well, they're now showing :D Honestly, I find it as easy using google but I've done it for years!
It's not an issue, just a little less convenient as I have to download and upload photos elsewhere, whereas otherwise they're automatically uploaded to Google Photos as soon as I take the picture.

I was active on babybmw.net for years and it's the exact same forum style, which is nice, so I'm familiar with how this place works :)
jifflemon wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:03 pm
Scoob wrote:

Or Drop me a PM, as I've got them in stock. Re LED's for dashbulbs; I've tried and keep going back to normal because
1. Cheap Chinese shite - Even expensive chinese stuff seems to be the same cheap shite just with a bigger profit margin.
2. The dimmer circuit
So you don't recommend LEDs in the dash? My main reason for wanting to do this was for the brightness, especially the info center, they're so dim currently that they're barely visible.

Thanks for the pictures, I now know exactly where you mean and can confirm that I have one motor fitted on the driver's side, but the other by the battery is not there, I have two motors in a bag at home which I hope will work.

So the relay box... from the diagram I get what I need to connect, but how exactly do I connect to it? What power source and cables would I use? I know this will be easy for you, so apologies that I need my hand holding so much.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:26 pm

Scoob wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:10 pm

It's not an issue, just a little less convenient as I have to download and upload photos elsewhere, whereas otherwise they're automatically uploaded to Google Photos as soon as I take the picture.

I was active on babybmw.net for years and it's the exact same forum style, which is nice, so I'm familiar with how this place works :)
Honestly, just try creating a shared album (or use the public album). Little painful remembering to move and link TO that album, but much easier that shifting photos to another platform
Scoob wrote:
So you don't recommend LEDs in the dash? My main reason for wanting to do this was for the brightness, especially the info center, they're so dim currently that they're barely visible.
Proper halogen bulb should be just fine - I've not yet found an LED version of the B10 thats any good; More than happy to be told of a good source of LED's because I've spent loads of money on various ones without sucess. Like I say, LED's in theory = Good. LED's in practice = More hassle than they're worth. The exception I make is for DRL's, but even there I'm struggling to find my preferred DRL bulb anymore - Clearly it was made too well and not enough profit for the Chinese Sellers!
Scoob wrote:
So the relay box... from the diagram I get what I need to connect, but how exactly do I connect to it? What power source and cables would I use? I know this will be easy for you, so apologies that I need my hand holding so much.
You're using a jumper wire to connect the terminals. You can connect both at the same time, or individually. 30 is one motor, 30a the other, 87 is the power. I typically use a piece of 27amp cable, because
1. I had it lying around
2. As an ex-sparky, I was taught that "if it'll carry more, it'll carry less!"

Optimistic
Started learning about 480

Post by Optimistic » Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:56 pm

I can share some advice on the topic of not going into first gear.

Part no. is Renault shift linkage bushing 7700872205

Easy to replace. 1 10mm nut and bolt holding the transmission lever to the rod connecting from the selector lever. then you will need I think its called circlip plyers to remove a circlip which holds in the bushing. assembly is reverse of install :wink: .
I don't think you will need pics, but if in doubt I can send.
Don't hesitate to long with it, its a cheep fix and you need 30min from start to finish.
As I have thrown out the rod from the bushing because it had worn down so much and it will just fall and grind the ground.

Sound insulation I would suggest you to rip out all the oem foame stuff, fit deadening plates and then add around 10mm of new foam with the top rubberized to the floor. it will make a lot of difference on the sound quality, but the wind noise will still be there.
92' TT-T

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:14 pm

Welcome to the forum and the world of 480 ownership! They're great cars that can be very rewarding, as well as highly infuriating when they want to be :lol:

I'd say by joining in on here you're most of the way towards solving any problems you have or will have.....

I'm not going to repeat what others have already said, just advise that if you keep asking we'll keep answering based on years of experience. Trust me, between us we've probably encountered all the problems and tried out all the possible solutions!

One point for now from me: you say your instrument lighting is very dim. Are you sure you haven't knocked the rheostat? It's below the steering wheel right in front of you and easy to brush even when just getting in and out...and if you do change the bulbs I'd echo what has been said about sticking with incandescent. There is the one halogen bulb for the info centre and three other bulbs. They are 3w wedge bulbs - DO NOT be tempted to use the similar 5w bulbs for extra brightness since all you'll do is melt the instrument panel very quickly :eek:

Good luck!

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

Scoob
480 Newbie

Post by Scoob » Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:29 pm

dcwalker wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:14 pm
One point for now from me: you say your instrument lighting is very dim. Are you sure you haven't knocked the rheostat? It's below the steering wheel right in front of you and easy to brush even when just getting in and out...and if you do change the bulbs I'd echo what has been said about sticking with incandescent. There is the one halogen bulb for the info centre and three other bulbs. They are 3w wedge bulbs - DO NOT be tempted to use the similar 5w bulbs for extra brightness since all you'll do is melt the instrument panel very quickly :eek:
No, I found the rheostat the first day and hoped that would sort it, but it's mega dim when turned up to full brightness and is only visible at night. Rather, it was... when I got in the car after work the info centre was completely out. I'm hoping the bulb has gone rather than something more time-consuming and fiddly, but aware that there may be some re-soldering potentially in order.

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome, some of you may find me in your PMs at some point when I get a minute to tackle some of these issues :)

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:03 am

You may find that is not a halogen bulb in there at all…..

Scoob
480 Newbie

Post by Scoob » Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:09 pm

Had the engine diagnostic done, way too much CO, code 212 - faulty oxygen sensor.

Surely this would have flagged on the MOT? Think it's been done dodgy. Just had to pay £55 for the privilege of finding out this info, and now I'm worried about what else had been put through. Looks like the garage that was used also couldn't be arsed putting anything back together, loads of things loose or not even connected.

Replacement lambda sensor is the first job then, new battery and wiper blades ordered, too.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:27 pm

Was it sold with 12 months MOT?

All of mine fleet (and the rescues) go to a garage that only do MOT's. No axe to grind, it passes or it fails. I honestly love an MOT - a second pair of eyes is essential sometimes.

Scoob
480 Newbie

Post by Scoob » Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:47 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:27 pm
Was it sold with 12 months MOT?

All of mine fleet (and the rescues) go to a garage that only do MOT's. No axe to grind, it passes or it fails. I honestly love an MOT - a second pair of eyes is essential sometimes.
It was MOT'd in Jan this year. No advisories, which now concerns me.

What do you know about lambdas? I've loads of options when I put my reg in, but I'm not sure if it's a part I should buy cheap(ish) or something I need to spend for quality.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:24 am

Scoob wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:47 pm

What do you know about lambdas? I've loads of options when I put my reg in, but I'm not sure if it's a part I should buy cheap(ish) or something I need to spend for quality.
The wiring is quite lengthy and usually runs along the NS subframe and pops up near the airbox.
Avoid all "universal" ones - You want a proper "made for the job" one, so you'll want to check your plug before ordering. The cheapy ones are likely to be universal and will probably be more hassle than its worth....

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:44 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:24 am
Scoob wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:47 pm

The wiring is quite lengthy and usually runs along the NS subframe and pops up near the airbox.
Avoid all "universal" ones - You want a proper "made for the job" one, so you'll want to check your plug before ordering. The cheapy ones are likely to be universal and will probably be more hassle than its worth....
I bought a 'generic' (DENSO I think) and it gave EXPLICIT instuctions on measuring the amount of cable to be cut off the old sensor to match what was on the new ine, it came with the three wee leads (~300mm long) and fancy 'joints', NOT to be soldered!!! spliced just at N/S above rear mount

It seems to regulate the mixture as I can see the voltage swinging nicely, cat was shot previously and most earlier MoTs were 'border-line' on emissions.
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

Scoob
480 Newbie

Post by Scoob » Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:43 am

Can someone tell me, are the doors supposed to stay open on their own or not?