My 480s so far!

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Themasteryeti
Knows where Volvo is from

My 480s so far!

Post by Themasteryeti » Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:49 pm

Finally worked out how to post pictures here so thought I'd give a rundown about my lovely car!

Originally I was actually planning on buying this mint Volvo 340, spent ages saving up for this one I found and on the day I finally had enough money I messaged the guy about it and someone else had just messaged him like an hour before me 😩 I spent the day In flitwick at a car show twiddling my fingers all day waiting to hear back to see if the guy got it which he unfortunately did, so that evening I went scouring the web for another car as I was currently still carless (old car was broken so that went a month prior) and stumbled across this beautiful 480! I'd seen a few available before but they were way to far away and the wrong colour for me, but this all white 480s popped up in Bedford (not far from where I live) and I was on the phone that evening arranging to see the car :D
Went to see it the next day and I fell in love, it had a tiny bit of rust and the usual broken seat belt holders and gauges weren't working but apart from that it seemed amazing! Naturally I bought it there and then πŸ˜‚

Took a nice slow drive back home (constantly paranoid that it was overheating as the gauges weren't working) over the next few days the paranoia just grew so I found a great post on here about pulling the dash apart and re soldering the gauges so I gave it a wack and after half an hour violΓ‘, I had a working guages!

Now unfortunately my instincts were trust and the car was overheating horrendously, I was having to putting water in the car everyother day so this is where the head scratching began!
Naturally I asked the question on here and someone suggested a rad pressure tester so onto Amazon I went and picked up a cheapo one for 20quid, slapped it on and found that the hose clamps on the coolant bottle just weren't clamping very well, so a few new clamps and it seems to have stopped leaking! Unfortunately the car still seemed to overheat (not as much admittedly) so I replaced the thermostat and hadn't overheated since!! 😁

Now onto the next problem πŸ˜‚ I filled my window washer bottle up as it was empty and found the next day that most of it was gone, later found out that my washer fluid was just pouring out the front above the number plate, so went about pulling the front apart, it seems that the T joint that goes to the headlamp washers was leaking and someone had replaced one of the hoses with a bit of garden hose πŸ˜‚, now admittedly I don't know where to get a replacement part for that so I've learned that if I only fill a third of the tank it won't leak out so that's what I've been doing fornow πŸ˜‚

By this point I've gone a few months and I'm still loving the car! But one of the dlr bulbs go out so I replace it and from that point the pop up stopped working (or occasionally worked when it felt like it) now this one was a head scratcher as I couldn't find anything wrong, went a few weeks with one light always up, then one day I remembered I had some random bits in the boot that were in the car when I bought it and turns out there was another headlight motor so I plugged it in to see if there was a problem with wiring or the motor itself, the motor worked perfectly but in unplugging the extra motor I realized that the plug had some bare wires touching so I taped them up and the pop ups worked perfectly after πŸ˜‚ such a ball ache for just some old wires, either way I was happy that they were working again!!

For the time being that's been all the problems I've encountered, but after 7months I'm still loving this car so much and still have so much I want to do to it! Still alot of little bit that don't work properly but I think it gives the car a bit of personality,Definitely a keeper this car so hopefully more updates to come :)

1973 vw beetle
1993 480s

WillC9303
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Re: My 480s so far!

Post by WillC9303 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:31 am

Nice to see the progress!

I believe this car spent some time at Lakes Volvo up the A1 a few years back. If you saw the episode of Flipping Bangers where they fixed up another 480, there is a brief shot of your car (L887LRB) outside, albeit with the original steel wheels and wheel trims on. The alloys currently on your car are from a 440 I think.

I also found that my headlight washer pipe had been repaired using a hose pipe, so more common than you may think :wink:

Not particularly surprised that your fuel/temp gauge wasn't working. I've heard a few times that they are even more unreliable than the fully digital Info centre! Now work that one out...
William

1993 2.0i Limited Edition

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:45 am

Hello. The hoses behind the nose cone do look like garden hose from the factory. However, I suspect that the splitter valve to the headlight washers has broken. You can get the original one from the Landrover dealer of all places! Note, the ones on eBay are completely wrong for the 480, even though they state they are for it.

See here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=35579&hilit=land+rover
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

Martin Mc
480 Rookie

Post by Martin Mc » Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:12 pm

Am uber-jealous of your lovely car - my first 480 was an all white 1991 J plate ES that had loads of bells and whistles, such as rear venetian blinds, roller boot cover, cassette holder, hard mats and only 45,000 on the clock when I bought it. The only problem was that the catalytic converter had packed in and was choking the engine, which wouldn't rev beyond 1100 rpm, which meant the car would start but could only move at about 10mph - I had a very interesting but scary drive back from Nuneaton where I bought it, to near Market Bosworth, up the A5 and A444 - nearly got totalled several times by lorries travelling at scary speed. Yes, I know, should have had it recovered, but it never even occurred to me back then (2004) as I was somewhat brassic.

Anyway, if you are ever thinking of parting with yours... ;) Not sure my Mrs would approve !
1991 ES White / 1995 ES Red / 1995 ES Red / 1994 S Black / 1995 Celebration Red / 1994 S Paris Blue / 1995 Celebration (again!) Red - Currently free of all extramarital cars, wrench-loose and fancy free :)

Themasteryeti

Post by Themasteryeti » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:07 pm

WillC9303 wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:31 am
Nice to see the progress!

I believe this car spent some time at Lakes Volvo up the A1 a few years back. If you saw the episode of Flipping Bangers where they fixed up another 480, there is a brief shot of your car (L887LRB) outside, albeit with the original steel wheels and wheel trims on. The alloys currently on your car are from a 440 I think.

I also found that my headlight washer pipe had been repaired using a hose pipe, so more common than you may think :wink:

Not particularly surprised that your fuel/temp gauge wasn't working. I've heard a few times that they are even more unreliable than the fully digital Info centre! Now work that one out...

I never knew that! Just watched the episode, that's my new claim to fame now πŸ˜‚
&I do believe the wheels are 440 ones, definitely plan on something new and flashy in the future tho 😁😁
&& Thankfully the gauges seems like a common problem so plenty of people had a solution πŸ˜‚
1973 vw beetle
1993 480s

Themasteryeti

Post by Themasteryeti » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:08 pm

jamescarruthers wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:45 am
Hello. The hoses behind the nose cone do look like garden hose from the factory. However, I suspect that the splitter valve to the headlight washers has broken. You can get the original one from the Landrover dealer of all places! Note, the ones on eBay are completely wrong for the 480, even though they state they are for it.

See here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=35579&hilit=land+rover

Thanks for the info! Wasn't sure how I was gonna go about fixing that, much appreciated 😁
1973 vw beetle
1993 480s

Themasteryeti

Post by Themasteryeti » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:10 pm

Martin Mc wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:12 pm
Am uber-jealous of your lovely car - my first 480 was an all white 1991 J plate ES that had loads of bells and whistles, such as rear venetian blinds, roller boot cover, cassette holder, hard mats and only 45,000 on the clock when I bought it. The only problem was that the catalytic converter had packed in and was choking the engine, which wouldn't rev beyond 1100 rpm, which meant the car would start but could only move at about 10mph - I had a very interesting but scary drive back from Nuneaton where I bought it, to near Market Bosworth, up the A5 and A444 - nearly got totalled several times by lorries travelling at scary speed. Yes, I know, should have had it recovered, but it never even occurred to me back then (2004) as I was somewhat brassic.

Anyway, if you are ever thinking of parting with yours... ;) Not sure my Mrs would approve !

I've never even heard of those extras :o shame you didn't hold onto it!?
& Maybe not the safest drive a good story tho πŸ˜‚
&& Afraid this cars definitely a keeper, way to cool a car to sell ;D
1973 vw beetle
1993 480s

Themasteryeti

Post by Themasteryeti » Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:46 pm

So today I went about fitting the new land Rover washer part ( thanks for telling me about it jamescarruthers :D )
Had to annihilate the old piece to try get the pipes off but apart from that it's on, currently out of washer fluid so can't actually check if it works but hey it's a step in the right direction πŸ˜‚

Now unfortunately in putting everything back together I managed to shatter my Drl lense which is a bit of a bugger πŸ˜‚
But gave it a whack with some glue and tape and I'd say it doesn't look half bad πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ
So bit of a win and lose kinda day today πŸ˜‚
Also ordered some 40mm lowering springs which should turn up next week so that'll be the next but of excitement for the car 😁
1973 vw beetle
1993 480s

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:27 pm

Themasteryeti wrote: ↑
Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:46 pm
So today I went about fitting the new land Rover washer part ( thanks for telling me about it jamescarruthers :D )
Had to annihilate the old piece to try get the pipes off but apart from that it's on, currently out of washer fluid so can't actually check if it works but hey it's a step in the right direction πŸ˜‚

Now unfortunately in putting everything back together I managed to shatter my Drl lense which is a bit of a bugger πŸ˜‚
But gave it a whack with some glue and tape and I'd say it doesn't look half bad πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ
Also ordered some 40mm lowering springs which should turn up next week so that'll be the next but of excitement for the car 😁
That's strange as the Land Rover washer pipe part should be identical to the original Volvo one!

My friend Keith Cooper sells DRL lenses. He is currently your only option as unfortunately the other supplier, Joep, passed away last year. Keith sells on eBay but I can't find them so I will PM you his phone number; his eBay user name is "the-cav-man". They are not cheap unfortunately, but they weren't with Joep either.
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

Themasteryeti

Post by Themasteryeti » Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:54 pm

jamescarruthers wrote: ↑
Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:27 pm
Themasteryeti wrote: ↑
Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:46 pm

That's strange as the Land Rover washer pipe part should be identical to the original Volvo one!

My friend Keith Cooper sells DRL lenses. He is currently your only option as unfortunately the other supplier, Joep, passed away last year. Keith sells on eBay but I can't find them so I will PM you his phone number; his eBay user name is "the-cav-man". They are not cheap unfortunately, but they weren't with Joep either.
The pipe part does look the same as the one they had in the other post, I've picked up some more washer fluid so I'll see if it actually works tomorrow! I'm not to bothered if not, as long as it doesn't leak anymore πŸ˜‚
&& Been messaging Keith and he's gonna send a new pair of lenses tomorrow 😁 thanks for the help once again! πŸ˜‚
1973 vw beetle
1993 480s

Themasteryeti

Post by Themasteryeti » Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:33 pm

Bit of a uneventful update today, my 40mm lowering springs turned up so the plan for today was to whack them in but didn't even manage to get past getting the strut outπŸ˜‚
Managed to get one bolt out and another half undone then wouldn't budge for love nor money so had to cut it off, managed to find another bolt lying around to replace it for the time being and given up on the idea for this weekend, four new bolt ordered so hopefully NEXT weekend the car will be sitting pretty 😁
Plus have a nice picture of the beetle from over the 480 πŸ˜‚
1973 vw beetle
1993 480s

Themasteryeti

Post by Themasteryeti » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:55 pm

Second attempt at installing spring today! Much more successful so no more looking like a 4x4😁
I ordered some new bolts to replace the struts ones, they looked alright so I didn't bother checking them (probably should of as they were completely the wrong size 😩) luckily the old ones survived so theyre back on fornow

First time changing springs so using the spring compressor was a bit taunting, seen to many videos on Facebook of people cocking it up and getting hospitalised, but wasn't actually as bad as I thought πŸ˜‚
Definitely digging the new stance tho, I thought 40mm wouldn't look that different but now that I can actually see it in person I'd say it's quite a tasteful low so no complaints here!

New Drl lenses turned up too so that'll be the next thing on the list, anyone know what's used to fix them? Looks like some sort of putty that's needed? πŸ€”
1973 vw beetle
1993 480s

WillC9303
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by WillC9303 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:04 pm

It does look good lowered. What's the ride quality like out of interest?
William

1993 2.0i Limited Edition

Themasteryeti

Post by Themasteryeti » Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:24 pm

WillC9303 wrote: ↑
Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:04 pm
It does look good lowered. What's the ride quality like out of interest?
It's a bit more bouncy, that's about the only difference I can tell πŸ˜‚
Apart from that rides as good as it always has!
Have to take it easy over some bigger speed bumps tho, like it doesn't scrape but it definitely goes over a bit harsher
10 outta 10 would recommend! 😁
1973 vw beetle
1993 480s

Themasteryeti

Post by Themasteryeti » Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:16 pm

Bit if a sad update, took the Volvo for it's MOT and it's failed πŸ‘Ž
Headlight was an easy fix, just accidentally knocked the plus loose yesterday while fixing some broken wiring πŸ˜‚
Imbalanced breaks seems to have been a recurring problem with this car tho so this weekend is going to do a break overhaul following jifflemons tutorial and see if that'll sort the problem, worst case is replace handbrake cable and calipers and see if that'll do the trick 😩
And just to top it off it appears that water is leaking through the hinge for the boot so my guess is a new seal may be needed, but that's currently at the bottom of the list πŸ˜‚
Last edited by Themasteryeti on Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1973 vw beetle
1993 480s

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:27 pm

Have a peek underneath at your handbrake cable whilst it’s off (slide phone under on a timer photo!). If they’re not identically spaced, replace them. It’s honestly worth doing whilst you tackle the rear brakes.
I’ll also pm you my number so you can hollar for help. They’re a little intimidating first time, then you get the hang of them! Have you got a calliper rewind tool?

Themasteryeti

Post by Themasteryeti » Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:27 pm

jifflemon wrote: ↑
Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:27 pm
Have a peek underneath at your handbrake cable whilst it’s off (slide phone under on a timer photo!). If they’re not identically spaced, replace them. It’s honestly worth doing whilst you tackle the rear brakes.
I’ll also pm you my number so you can hollar for help. They’re a little intimidating first time, then you get the hang of them! Have you got a calliper rewind tool?
I think I'm going to order a new set of calipers, won't do any harm having a fresh pair, do you think it's be worth just ordering new hand break cables as well just in case, end of the day I suppose having new parts won't hurt it πŸ˜‚
It's currently my only working car so I've had to resort to being taxied about by my other half till it gets sorted so I'm hoping to try fix it as quick as πŸ˜‚
I'll be doing the work round my father in laws and I know he had a rewind tool! I did think that with these you should be able to push the piston back by hand?
&& Cheers I appreciate that! If I get stuck I'll defo give you a call! :)
1973 vw beetle
1993 480s

Themasteryeti

Post by Themasteryeti » Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:42 pm

Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:27 pm

Also if replacing the hand break cables, should I change the short one too?
Last edited by Themasteryeti on Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1973 vw beetle
1993 480s

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:53 pm

Winding back the caliper is done by both winding, then releasing tension on the adjuster.

Deffo order a pair of cables, no need to ever replace the single short one.

Themasteryeti

Post by Themasteryeti » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:48 pm

Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:53 pm
Winding back the caliper is done by both winding, then releasing tension on the adjuster.

Deffo order a pair of cables, no need to ever replace the single short one.
Cheers for the help!
I'll order cables caliper and might as well do disks while I'm at it, hopefully this'll sort the recurring imbalanced problem 😁
1973 vw beetle
1993 480s