Recommissioning a 480: 1. Background

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

davekit
Started learning about 480

Recommissioning a 480: 1. Background

Post by davekit » Tue May 17, 2022 4:27 pm

After some consideration, I decided to make this several large entries (9 actually), rather than one MASSIVE entry on the forum. So, if you want to see the other entries, which are in other sections, just search for ‘Recommissioning’. This seemed an appropriate term, as it is way short of a restoration or even a renovation. For reference, the entries are:

1. Background; 2. CEM & Relays; 3. Lights; 4. Wipers; 5. Windows; 6. Rear Lenses; 7. Bonnet Foam; 8. Seats & Belts; 9. Final Bits.

Parts 1 & 9 are here under ‘Secret Life of a 480 Owner’, 2-5 are under ‘Electrical Systems’, and 6-8 are under ‘Body & Interior’. I hope that makes sense, and makes things easy to find. The rest of the entries are mostly a record of what I have done (hopefully useful), with a few requests for additional help or information.

Just before Christmas, I bought a 1987 480ES with very low recorded mileage. This was backed up by the MoTs (every one), service history and receipts, but could it really be so low? It had a solid body and was mechanically sound, but the engine was a bit sluggish. There was nothing on the car which would be tricky to fix, such as ABS, Aircon, Turbo, Catalyst or Sunroof, at least that was what I hoped. It had a new battery and tyres, the headlamp motors had been replaced, and the old motors were in the boot along with a spare CEM.

Getting it home, I started assessing what I had bought. It appeared to have had one owner until either the car or owner had become incapacitated, then off the road 2016-20, then several owners who had tried unsuccessfully to get the car back on the road. I compiled a list of faults, and got over forty, some minor, but many electrical. Everywhere I looked, it seemed someone had been there before, failed to fix the fault, then reassembled it badly. I began to wonder if I had watched too many episodes of ‘Bangers & Cash’ or ‘Car SOS’, or simply bought the car while wearing rose tinted glasses!

This is my first ‘classic car’, but have built (and still run) a kit-car, so my approach may not be conventional. I am less concerned with total originality, than getting things working reliably. I applied for 480 club membership, and got started fixing the faults. My thanks go to those who have put ideas and fixes on the forum, I have used a fair few. Also invaluable were the documents listing parts and wiring diagrams. It would be helpful if someone could add the wiring for early cars, as there seems to be some differences from 1991 onwards. Anyway, on with the show, if you are still with me; the next few sections are in ‘Electrical Systems’.

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Re: Recommissioning a 480: 1. Background

Post by MisterH » Tue May 17, 2022 4:59 pm

Sounds really good and helpful too

Welcome to the Club!

1987 cars are rare and have quirks, what colour is yours?
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

davekit
Started learning about 480

Re: Recommissioning a 480: 1. Background

Post by davekit » Wed May 18, 2022 9:27 am

Thanks! The colour is Graphite Grey Metallic (304), not what I would choose, I prefer something brighter. Still, beggars can't be choosers. Interior is grey with red striping (2121), as standard. I cannot see any evidence of repairs either inside or out, so remarkably well preserved. I guess it must be one the older examples still on the road. I need to drive it a bit more, then tackle the remaining faults. Watch this space, as they say.