It Ran When Parked - A More positive update!

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

It Ran When Parked - A More positive update!

Post by MisterH » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:04 pm

Today I was looking forward to finally getting off my arse and getting a proper job, the interview was in Havant and there was going to be a nice drive either there or on the way back.

Then came a knock on the door. A concerned looking refuse collector informed me there had been a bit of an accident with the Blue Volvo.

Came outside to find this:

Ah it's not so-

What had happened was the bin lorry had come across black ice, lost the rear and locked up, causing this to happen. They have admitted full liability and will pay for the repairs, no question really. Just need to get a quote from my body shop about how Fucked it actually is

I think Paul Darrow's gripping performance of Avon in Blake's 7 has rubbed off on me quite a bit, as I have approached this with a sardonic sense of irony and humour, while remaining determined to see it come good. I have been overwhelmed by the sheer gratitude of everyone who has offered to help me thus far, with offers of parts support which would be most appreciated. My insurance company said that it's age would mean an instant write off, but as it is the Refuse firm's Corporate insurance that is covering, I think I should be able to get the car repaired if possible. And regardless of a write off, the car remains mine. The body shop guy who did the respray is coming over on Saturday to give it the rundown and verdict.

But until then, while I (don't quite) noes wot I has, at least I can legitimately say

It ran when I parked it! :rofl:
Last edited by MisterH on Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

WillC9303
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Re: It Ran When Parked! An Calamitous Update

Post by WillC9303 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:12 pm

I'm really sorry to see that :(
I have to say, I sort of knew about this earlier. Someone spotted your wrecked 480 and posted it to Instagram. They blurred the plate, so I hoped it wasn't yours...

Glad to hear it can be repaired though.
William

1993 2.0i Limited Edition

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:40 pm

Ah I see, didn't realise that, I had a quick look and there it was, seems this car is well known, which can only be a good thing, especially for security I find. The power of community is so underrated these days
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:51 pm

As I said via text, I've the following parts:

Nose cone, corner light, bonnet. All yours, no fee.

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:04 pm

And as we've discussed, there's a wing here for you too.

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:17 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:51 pm
As I said via text, I've the following parts:

Nose cone, corner light, bonnet. All yours, no fee.
dcwalker wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:04 pm
And as we've discussed, there's a wing here for you too.

David
This is why the wedge is such an outstanding car, the people around it. I hope none of you will ever be in a similar position, I hope if the time comes I am able to assist this club :D
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:03 pm

I've a front bumper if yours didn't escape the mayhem.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:39 am

dragonflyjewels wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:03 pm
I've a front bumper if yours didn't escape the mayhem.
I think that might be needed, I was thinking of going to coloured bumpers at the same time, but not sure if that is possible under the circumstances
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:31 am

So sorry to see this Ben.

Please put up a post for any parts you need as I live close to Lake’s and could collect parts from there for you. Also, my 480 friend Keith (not on the forum) is down near you on the south coast so I could ask him if has any bits that you may need.

If you get bumpers from an already colour coded car, it is cheaper to change the colour of those to match your car than to put on the magic stabilising primer on to an originally unpainted one. I think it will look lovely colour coded— it probably deserves a treat after a bin bashing!
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:34 am

The bumper I have is from a two tone so it will need painting anyway - I suspect once all the replacement panels are fitted you will will have a temporary patchwork technicolour effect 😄

Although you'd need black bumpers if you wanted to stick to originality, John de Vries did design the 480 with colour coded bumpers to give it a more streamlined look.
Sylvia

hubby has

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:47 am

Oh no! :shock:

Genuinely saddened by that this morning.

As if 480's haven't got enough struggles in this world staying alive, without fighting off bin lorries too!

I sincerely hope you are able to control the repair process. I once had a really good K plate Cavalier as a daily. Just spent some money getting it through an MoT, when someone hit me at a junction. AXA immediately wrote the car off (due to parts availability) and prevented me from buying back the car as salvage. Off to the crusher it went when all it needed was a wing and indicator. Never does "book value" come close when the vehicle is rare and/or cherished.

Ah, the old "black ice" chestnut. The cars are white with frost, the path is white with frost, the hedges are white with frost, but this substance on the road is a total mystery.

Best wishes Ben getting it sorted to how you require.
Jay-Kay-Em
-------------------------------------
Click here for My 480 Turbo Diary
Click here for My Cars

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:14 am

dragonflyjewels wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:34 am
The bumper I have is from a two tone so it will need painting anyway - I suspect once all the replacement panels are fitted you will will have a temporary patchwork technicolour effect 😄

Although you'd need black bumpers if you wanted to stick to originality, John de Vries did design the 480 with colour coded bumpers to give it a more streamlined look.
jamescarruthers wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:31 am
So sorry to see this Ben.

Please put up a post for any parts you need as I live close to Lake’s and could collect parts from there for you. Also, my 480 friend Keith (not on the forum) is down near you on the south coast so I could ask him if has any bits that you may need.

If you get bumpers from an already colour coded car, it is cheaper to change the colour of those to match your car than to put on the magic stabilising primer on to an originally unpainted one. I think it will look lovely colour coded— it probably deserves a treat after a bin bashing!
My only concern with restoring it to a state that is not in line with exactly how it was when it was done is whether or not it will be a problem if the insurance company is bankrolling it, especially where it is so obvious....
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:15 am

Jay-Kay-Em wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:47 am
Oh no! :shock:

Genuinely saddened by that this morning.

As if 480's haven't got enough struggles in this world staying alive, without fighting off bin lorries too!

I sincerely hope you are able to control the repair process. I once had a really good K plate Cavalier as a daily. Just spent some money getting it through an MoT, when someone hit me at a junction. AXA immediately wrote the car off (due to parts availability) and prevented me from buying back the car as salvage. Off to the crusher it went when all it needed was a wing and indicator. Never does "book value" come close when the vehicle is rare and/or cherished.

Ah, the old "black ice" chestnut. The cars are white with frost, the path is white with frost, the hedges are white with frost, but this substance on the road is a total mystery.

Best wishes Ben getting it sorted to how you require.
Yes they've been quite positive about the situation, if it is totalled it will remain in my possession, they don't want to be dealing with it
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:03 pm

My only concern with restoring it to a state that is not in line with exactly how it was when it was done is whether or not it will be a problem if the insurance company is bankrolling it, especially where it is so obvious....
Based on not being able to source a black bumper, it's going to have to be painted anyway so even if they compare before and after photos (highly unlikely) it will be irrelevant what colour it ends up. That will still leave the rear bumper unless that is damaged as well ?
Sylvia

hubby has

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:41 pm

dragonflyjewels wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:03 pm
Based on not being able to source a black bumper, it's going to have to be painted anyway so even if they compare before and after photos (highly unlikely) it will be irrelevant what colour it ends up. That will still leave the rear bumper unless that is damaged as well ?
Potentially, I cannot tell what the damage is right now, but it might be worth doing it as a matter of course. It may end up like the proverbial grandad's shovel, but I think there is a strong case for
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:39 pm

dragonflyjewels wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:34 am

Oh yes and I meant to ask, is there a difference between pre-facelift and post facelift bumpers? I have never been able to work it out...
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:52 pm

only one word
bu88er

I hope it is agreed value, and /or they let you buy the 'wreck' cos they will write it off as 'repair exceeds book value' :-( :cryhard:

the front door pillar has 'maybe' escaped you'd better hope so as will be a real bummer to fix/repair and costs will go north VERY quickly :shock:
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:59 pm

Alan 480 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:52 pm
only one word
bu88er

I hope it is agreed value, and /or they let you buy the 'wreck' cos they will write it off as 'repair exceeds book value' :-( :cryhard:

the front door pillar has 'maybe' escaped you'd better hope so as will be a real bummer to fix/repair and costs will go north VERY quickly :shock:
It isn't agreed value, but as it isn't my insurance company doing it that might not apply anyway. I was left with no choice as there was only one insurance company that would take it on a standard policy, classic insurers saw my age and told me to bugger off. In the event of a total loss the car will remain mine and I will receive a pay-out of its value minus the salvage value of any parts, they don't want to touch it :D
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

Knows where Volvo is from

Post by 100 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:45 pm

MisterH wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:14 am
I doubt it, I would have thought that it will be up to your body shop to provide a quote to you, which you'll then pass on to the corporate insurers. Hopefully they will approve it with minimum hassle as it'll be a relatively low amount (for their usual claims). If the bumper needs paint then who is to say what colour it was - you have painted black bumpers right? :D Let's put it this way, once the work is approved and the money is sent (make sure this happens before the work begins) they won't have anything more to do with it. I've never heard of there being a post-work inspection.

My tips:

> Provide the insurers one quote if possible, this keeps it simpler for them (which reduces potential complication for you!).
> Make sure that when your bodyshop provides the quote, they maximise your 'value-for-trauma'. I'm not suggesting full on deceit, just that they are very thorough and everything is done to the maximum standard, even if it means extra work and cost. For example, rather than 'just' painting the front bumper, he may want to paint the bumper, wings and bonnet to make sure the new paint blends into the old.

This is a real shitter, but try to see it as an opportunity to get your car straighter and in better condition than it was before. The insurers really should be paying for the parts, but given there aren't any available new I'm not sure how that would work... (unless your body shop sources the parts and includes them on the invoice).

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:37 pm

100 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:45 pm
MisterH wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:14 am
I doubt it, I would have thought that it will be up to your body shop to provide a quote to you, which you'll then pass on to the corporate insurers. Hopefully they will approve it with minimum hassle as it'll be a relatively low amount (for their usual claims). If the bumper needs paint then who is to say what colour it was - you have painted black bumpers right? :D Let's put it this way, once the work is approved and the money is sent (make sure this happens before the work begins) they won't have anything more to do with it. I've never heard of there being a post-work inspection.

My tips:

> Provide the insurers one quote if possible, this keeps it simpler for them (which reduces potential complication for you!).
> Make sure that when your bodyshop provides the quote, they maximise your 'value-for-trauma'. I'm not suggesting full on deceit, just that they are very thorough and everything is done to the maximum standard, even if it means extra work and cost. For example, rather than 'just' painting the front bumper, he may want to paint the bumper, wings and bonnet to make sure the new paint blends into the old.

This is a real shitter, but try to see it as an opportunity to get your car straighter and in better condition than it was before. The insurers really should be paying for the parts, but given there aren't any available new I'm not sure how that would work... (unless your body shop sources the parts and includes them on the invoice).
Absolutely, Ironically I haven't been able to stop smiling as I can see so many positive outcomes from this, I might actually be able to get all those jobs I was putting off doing (leaks, dampness, rust protection* rear lights etc.) done at the same time, so when it is all done it really is one of the best in the country.

That being said, they did say if it was deemed "economically" repairable, whether that is in relation to the value of the car (which I suspect) or as you said compared to their regular corporate fry, I do not know.

*I had made a start by putting Dynax in the arches...
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks