Not really the update I wanted to give:
SGO has pretty much come to a grinding halt as far a progress is concerned. While I sourced a couple of odd accessories that I wanted, such as the aux gauge (still trying to find the sender unit and adapter) and neat little cassette drawer + replaced the broken battery clamp with a shiny new one, SGO seems to be putting up a fight in pretty much every single job I try and do. I also have sourced an ignition barrel from the forum, but whoever fitted the aftermarket barrel to my car completely butchered all the wiring and cut a load of it off, so I don't even know where to start in fixing that. It's probably an easy fix for someone who knows what they're doing, but I'll admit, most electrical jobs are beyond my ability.
SGO needs new brake discs and pads. Easy job right? Well, if the calliper bolts weren't chemically fused to the hub, then yes. And that's both the front and rear. I've tried using a blowtorch, breaker bar and of course WD40 but to no avail.
I also thought about taking the front seats out to clean the grimy interior and try and find out why the heated seats don't work. Turns out the bolts holding the rails down are glued to the chassis. What about the rear seats then? Well, the back rests on both the rear seats refuse to budge, even though I have followed how to remove them step by step. (Undoing clips at the side, folding them down then pulling upwards). Then I tried taking out the rear seat cushion. Of course the front flip is rusted to hell and won't push inwards, even after using a hammer on the end of a flat head screwdriver to try and push it in.
Some other problems have developed over the past few weeks as well. I now have quite a substantial leak from the rear of the car, which has completely ruined the boot carpet, as it is black with mould and is falling apart. The worst part is that I can't even locate where the leak is coming from! The side windows, boot seal and sunroof are completely dry, but I know the problem is at least one of those things. As such, I now have a puddle in the boot every time it rains.
The Info centre is also playing up; it's very inconsistent and will sometimes give an engine temperature reading of 250 Celsius on start-up. It also thinks I have 30 miles of range left when I know it's got at least a third of a tank. External temperature readout is now -40 Celsius, so I guess I live in Northern Siberia now. I read a while ago that 1992+ models had improved electronics......convincing stuff.....
SGO has also developed a fuel leak somewhere as there is a really strong smell of fumes when running.
On top of all that, The one thing I REALLY wanted to get done as soon as possibly (welding) isn't going to happen any time soon the by the looks of it. None of the body shops I have contacted have even sent me a quote yet, despite me contacting them half a dozen times. (Not SGO's fault, but still frustrating).
There is at least one bit of good news. The original VC802 radio was broken, and I managed to source a VC602 radio which was originally from a scrap 480 S model. While it's kind of a downgrade from the 802 radio that was fitted to my ES, it at least works, which is something. That job was surprisingly easy. After I had sourced the right radio removal tool, It was as easy as unplugging the old radio and plugging the new one in. Works like a dream. (You can tell my expectations are low when I'm genuinely surprised that a radio designed for the 480 works with my 480.)
I know project cars are going to have problems along the way, but there are SO many jobs to do on this car, and despite most of them being within my ability, I can't even begin to do them because of some stupid rusted bolt or clip gatekeeping the job. Sorry this sounds like a rant, but I really want to get this car up and running but it seems like for every thing I fix, something else breaks. I guess it's just one of those slow couple of months.
At least I have figured out SGO's personality now. Think Herbie, but spiteful, petty and defiant (unlike Herbie, SGO can't drive itself mainly because the tyres are 20 years old and clutch is knackered.)
Probably the only worthwhile picture posting here: