William's 1993 480ES Two-Tone

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

User avatar
WillC9303
Knows where Volvo is from
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:46 pm
Location: Surrey

William's 1993 480ES Two-Tone

Post by WillC9303 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:20 pm

Hello all,

I've made a few posts on here already, but haven't properly introduced myself to the forum. I'm 17, based in Surrey and just bought a 480 as my first car! I've been interested in cars all my life and have been browsing the web and doing hundreds insurance quotes for potential first cars since I was 14 or 15. Incredibly, I never even gave the Volvo 480 a thought until about 2 weeks ago when I saw a '93 Two-Tone on Car & Classic. I was taken by it so much, that 3 days later I put a deposit it, and It's currently sitting on my driveway as I'm writing this :D

I've enjoyed reading everyone's threads on their own 480s, and thought I might make a thread documenting mine. Those who are on 'Volvo 480 UK' Facebook group may recognise this car, but hopefully I can use this thread to make my car known to the forum and possibly use this as a reference point, to document my progress on the car. I'm not sure how often I will update this, but I will try to do so.
The only significant thing wrong with the car is the dropped passenger door, which has been bent back (reversed into a post?) and damaged the wing. Luckily, a nice guy off FB had a spare passenger wing in the same colour, so now all that needs sorting is the door hinge itself.

Image
Image
Image

Taillights are clouded as usual, but are crack free and haven't been sealed up. Still has the original dealer plates and stickers. Broadsword Volvo in Caterham sadly no longer exists.

Image
Image

Rust isn't too excessive, but this was just a small scab the size of a coin before I scraped the paint off. Just shows how rust always turns out to be worse than you first expect!

Image


Here I lost about 4 Litres of brand new Castrol Magnatec by fitting the wrong oil filter. All of that on the floor is oil mixed with kitchen detergent and gravel :wall: Reminder to self: A W917 oil filter is COMPLETELY different to a W917/1! No damage to the engine though, as the car only ran for about 10 seconds before the realization. Car now has the correct oil filter and is full of oil.

Image

All the electrics seem to work except both the heated seats (broken element?). The infocentre reports 105 degrees C before the fan cuts in. The engine isn't boiling over/overheating, so I suspect it's the thermostat.

Image

Due to a multitude of factors, such as Insurance prices, fuel prices and driving test waiting lists, I won't be getting it on the road anytime soon. At least not this year anyway. However, I will aim to get driving as soon as possible. By the time I get the 480 on the road, I will aim to get it near concourse.
Last edited by WillC9303 on Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
William

1993 2.0i Limited Edition ‘Josephine’

User avatar
MisterH
480 Is my middle name
Posts: 1108
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm
Location: Stockbridge

Re: William's 1993 480ES Two-Tone

Post by MisterH » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:30 pm

Hi there, nice to see a fellow young 480ist!

Like you I also bought mine as my first car (ok technically) when I was 16. I did the whole learning to drive saga in it, and passed last October in it. They really are great cars, and as a classic first car they are the ultimate when it comes to beating the system: Low driving position, exceptional handling and lots of poke, all while being safe and mostly reliable.

In terms of advice I can give you now, insurance wise I am with GoGirl (in spite of the name they do do guys) who were the cheapest for me when I passed at something like 1600 quid up front, 1800 over 12 months. This year on my first reduction, it is now 660ish quid after a year of NCD (granted, I did also have named driver on another car which helped). However, you seem to have got this well researched anyway :lol:

You have bagged a really good one there, get some Vactan on those rust spots before they cause trouble, if in doubt Jeff can help you sort out the warning lights. The 2.0 Two Tone is perhaps my favourite spec (excluding the early cars) so you've done well.

This is one of the nicest places anywhere on the internet, Welcome :D
Ben
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

User avatar
dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name
Posts: 1463
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:38 am
Location: Norfolk

Re: William's 1993 480ES Two-Tone

Post by dragonflyjewels » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:58 pm

Hello William,

Welcome to the club ! That's a great choice - as you've no doubt gathered the 480 is a really fun car to drive, and the 2 litre two-tones are few and far between. There aren't many two tones at all, and they are mostly 1.7s so you've done well to grab a rarity by sheer chance.
It's always pleasing to know new owners are so committed to looking after their 480s, they are sadly a dying breed. I expect you've read through enough of the forum to know we are on a rescue mission to save as many as possible. You may also have seen that we have mobile meets which I hope you will be able to join once you are up and running and have discovered for yourself the sheer joy of driving a 480 which goes hand in glove with the reassurance of Volvo safety features.

Please do keep us updated, we all like to see each other's progress.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

User avatar
WillC9303
Knows where Volvo is from
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:46 pm
Location: Surrey

Re: William's 1993 480ES Two-Tone

Post by WillC9303 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:03 pm

MisterH wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:30 pm
Hi there, nice to see a fellow young 480ist!

Like you I also bought mine as my first car (ok technically) when I was 16. I did the whole learning to drive saga in it, and passed last October in it. They really are great cars, and as a classic first car they are the ultimate when it comes to beating the system: Low driving position, exceptional handling and lots of poke, all while being safe and mostly reliable.

In terms of advice I can give you now, insurance wise I am with GoGirl (in spite of the name they do do guys) who were the cheapest for me when I passed at something like 1600 quid up front, 1800 over 12 months. This year on my first reduction, it is now 660ish quid after a year of NCD (granted, I did also have named driver on another car which helped). However, you seem to have got this well researched anyway :lol:

You have bagged a really good one there, get some Vactan on those rust spots before they cause trouble, if in doubt Jeff can help you sort out the warning lights. The 2.0 Two Tone is perhaps my favourite spec (excluding the early cars) so you've done well.

This is one of the nicest places anywhere on the internet, Welcome :D
Ben
thank you :D
Last edited by WillC9303 on Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
William

1993 2.0i Limited Edition ‘Josephine’

User avatar
Jay-Kay-Em
Can tell where the 480 was built
Posts: 338
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:42 pm
Location: Huntingdon
Contact:

Re: William's 1993 480ES Two-Tone

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:46 pm

Hey William, you have found yourself a great two tone there. Congratulations.

Front spoiler is present & correct and the rear lights only look a polish away from greatness. What a great foundation.

Sorry about your "Ed Edition" badge.... but on the plus side, I think it's in the wrong place anyway.

If you want some two tone inspiration check out Oli's diary.

If you act quick, you will have caught that rust just in time. It looks as though the inner sill has become detached from the outer, resulting in a slight air gap. Your inner sills will be getting filled with water in the rain, which is not ideal. Needs a good wire brush + Bilt Hamber + re-seal..... all before a welder is required hopefully!

Good to have you on the forum - I prefer the forum as it gives you your own space on the interwebz to document your journey..... Facebook posts are long forgotten within a week.

Good luck nailing down a test date!

User avatar
WillC9303
Knows where Volvo is from
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:46 pm
Location: Surrey

Re: William's 1993 480ES Two-Tone

Post by WillC9303 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:03 pm

dragonflyjewels wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:58 pm
Hello William,

Welcome to the club ! That's a great choice - as you've no doubt gathered the 480 is a really fun car to drive, and the 2 litre two-tones are few and far between. There aren't many two tones at all, and they are mostly 1.7s so you've done well to grab a rarity by sheer chance.
It's always pleasing to know new owners are so committed to looking after their 480s, they are sadly a dying breed. I expect you've read through enough of the forum to know we are on a rescue mission to save as many as possible. You may also have seen that we have mobile meets which I hope you will be able to join once you are up and running and have discovered for yourself the sheer joy of driving a 480 which goes hand in glove with the reassurance of Volvo safety features.

Please do keep us updated, we all like to see each other's progress.
Thank you :D I have heard that the 2.0 TTs are quite rare a couple of times, which makes me love my 480 even more! I had a look on 'Howmanyleft. com' and it said 4 are MOT'd. (I don't know how accurate that site is, though)
Last edited by WillC9303 on Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
William

1993 2.0i Limited Edition ‘Josephine’

User avatar
WillC9303
Knows where Volvo is from
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:46 pm
Location: Surrey

Re: William's 1993 480ES Two-Tone

Post by WillC9303 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:04 pm

Jay-Kay-Em wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:46 pm
Hey William, you have found yourself a great two tone there. Congratulations.

Front spoiler is present & correct and the rear lights only look a polish away from greatness. What a great foundation.

Sorry about your "Ed Edition" badge.... but on the plus side, I think it's in the wrong place anyway.

If you want some two tone inspiration check out Oli's diary.

If you act quick, you will have caught that rust just in time. It looks as though the inner sill has become detached from the outer, resulting in a slight air gap. Your inner sills will be getting filled with water in the rain, which is not ideal. Needs a good wire brush + Bilt Hamber + re-seal..... all before a welder is required hopefully!

Good to have you on the forum - I prefer the forum as it gives you your own space on the interwebz to document your journey..... Facebook posts are long forgotten within a week.

Good luck nailing down a test date!
Thanks! I saw Oli's diary, and that's the sort of condition that I'm aiming for with my TT. I've covered all the rust in wax to isolate it from oxygen and moisture, but hopefully I can get the car welded up by the end of this year/beginning of next. Seeing as I don't have skill or access to a welder, that will have to be a job for a shop. Thanks for notifying me about the badge though, I didn't notice it was in the wrong place. I am having a lot of trouble finding a replacement, though so PM me if you have one for sale :D
William

1993 2.0i Limited Edition ‘Josephine’

User avatar
dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name
Posts: 1463
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:38 am
Location: Norfolk

Re: William's 1993 480ES Two-Tone

Post by dragonflyjewels » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:38 pm

I have heard that the 2.0 TTs are quite rare a couple of times, which makes me love my 480 even more! I had a look on 'Howmanyleft. com' and it said 4 are MOT'd. (I don't know how accurate that site is, though)
I keep a register of rare editions, and actually agree with howmanyleft - just 4 taxed 2 litres on my list.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

User avatar
WillC9303
Knows where Volvo is from
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:46 pm
Location: Surrey

Re: William's 1993 480ES Two-Tone

Post by WillC9303 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:25 pm

dragonflyjewels wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:38 pm
I have heard that the 2.0 TTs are quite rare a couple of times, which makes me love my 480 even more! I had a look on 'Howmanyleft. com' and it said 4 are MOT'd. (I don't know how accurate that site is, though)
I keep a register of rare editions, and actually agree with howmanyleft - just 4 taxed 2 litres on my list.
Ok that's good to hear. As the tax has just ended on my car, It will probably say there are 3 left when it's next updated. If everything goes to plan, I will push it back up to 4 by this time next year.
William

1993 2.0i Limited Edition ‘Josephine’

User avatar
dcwalker
480 Is my middle name
Posts: 1403
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:30 pm
Location: York

Re: William's 1993 480ES Two-Tone

Post by dcwalker » Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:33 pm

Hi William, we've been discussing a few parts through PM so its really good to see you on here and pictures of the car. I echo all that's been said in welcome and about both the friendliness and the help on here.

On the Limited Edition badge, sorry Jay but it IS in the right place! On the original TT it sat bottom right hand side, but like all 480s in the early days of the 2.0i engine it gained a "2.0i" badge in that position, so the "Limited Edition " went over the other side. Another thing that adds to your rarity!

Looking forward to seeing progress...

David
Current: 1994 480 GT plus 2013 V60 D5 SE Lux Nav & 1997 440LE with lots of optional extras
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

User avatar
Jay-Kay-Em
Can tell where the 480 was built
Posts: 338
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:42 pm
Location: Huntingdon
Contact:

Re: William's 1993 480ES Two-Tone

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:30 pm

dcwalker wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:33 pm
On the Limited Edition badge, sorry Jay but it IS in the right place!
I hadn't even considered left/right... I was thinking up/down!

It looks too close to the tail lamp to me and has a curvature pattern suggesting re-fitment.

The 2.0 TT brochure has them at mid height...

Image

L324DNX came up For Sale and they were mid height too.

Image

User avatar
dcwalker
480 Is my middle name
Posts: 1403
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:30 pm
Location: York

Re: William's 1993 480ES Two-Tone

Post by dcwalker » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:19 am

You're absolutely right Jay!

I just glanced and saw the 2.0 badge and jumped to conclusions about what you were thinking...

Definitely too high - the 2.0 has been moved the same, which is probably why bits have come away.

David
Current: 1994 480 GT plus 2013 V60 D5 SE Lux Nav & 1997 440LE with lots of optional extras
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

User avatar
WillC9303
Knows where Volvo is from
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:46 pm
Location: Surrey

Re: William's 1993 480ES Two-Tone

Post by WillC9303 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:33 pm

Today I did a couple of small fixes to the interior. Instead of shelling out £20 for a pair of new heater control knobs, I thought I'd have a go at recycling my existing ones. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of them before, but trust me when I say they were absolutely DISGUSTING. Originally white, they had gone a crusty brown/yellow. I popped them off the heater fascia, sanded them down and sprayed them grey. I thought about spraying them white again, however I thought grey might look a bit better. Plus it doesn't go yellow and show dirt as easily. I think they turned out alright actually :D

Image

After owning a car for a while, you start to find a bit more about it's history than the service book tells you. I don't think I mentioned this before, but the car has an aftermarket ignition barrel on the left hand side of the steering wheel. I never really thought about why that was until I started focusing on the broken glovebox, which had seemingly been ripped out with force, in turn, snapping the plastic around the screw holes. I can only conclude that at some point, my car had been broken into, someone tried to make away with the glove box and had attempted to start the car. I've realised that my 480 is very similar to the 480 that was on Flipping Bangers a few years back. Not only are they both two tones, but they both had the exact same headlining problem and both had attempted break-ins! Anyway, Instead of spending money on a replacement glovebox, I repaired my own. All I had to do was cut out 4 small aluminium rectangles, drill a screw hole in the middle and glue them onto the back of the box. A lick of grey paint later and I now have a functioning glovebox! (even if it is only big enough for a tin of travel mints)

Image
William

1993 2.0i Limited Edition ‘Josephine’

User avatar
jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name
Posts: 2376
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:19 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: William's 1993 480ES Two-Tone

Post by jamescarruthers » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:54 pm

Haha, but good news all 480 glovebox looks like they’ve has been burgled unless they really have only be used to gently carry one pair of gloves! Nice fix though.

Oh, and the heater slider knobs were grey originally, you are right, but quite a light colour.

Welcome aboard by the way! :-)
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

User avatar
WillC9303
Knows where Volvo is from
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:46 pm
Location: Surrey

Re: William's 1993 480ES Two-Tone

Post by WillC9303 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:03 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:54 pm
Haha, but good news all 480 glovebox looks like they’ve has been burgled unless they really have only be used to gently carry one pair of gloves! Nice fix though.

Oh, and the heater slider knobs were grey originally, you are right, but quite a light colour.

Welcome aboard by the way! :-)
thanks for the welcome :D
William

1993 2.0i Limited Edition ‘Josephine’

User avatar
dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name
Posts: 1463
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:38 am
Location: Norfolk

Re: William's 1993 480ES Two-Tone

Post by dragonflyjewels » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:06 pm

Don't worry about not taking g a picture of your crusty heater knobs, we're all very familiar with what they look like :lol: Well done on the fixes, very neat and tidy. Your 480 will love the tlc.
Last edited by dragonflyjewels on Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name
Posts: 2180
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:03 am

Re: William's 1993 480ES Two-Tone

Post by jifflemon » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:55 pm

WillC9303 wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:33 pm
Instead of shelling out £20 for a pair of new heater control knobs, I thought I'd have a go at recycling my existing ones.
Or, if you know anyone with a 3d printer (and I think a resin 3d printer would be much better for it), then download this which was designed by Ortovox77

User avatar
MisterH
480 Is my middle name
Posts: 1108
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm
Location: Stockbridge

Re: William's 1993 480ES Two-Tone

Post by MisterH » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:20 pm

Looks like amazing progress, in terms of interior fixes you're ahead of me: had the car 2 years, got it from barn find to clean daily, still haven't done the heater knobs (or the back lights for that matter) :rofl:

Also, the flipping bangers car is on here, owned by 100
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

100
Knows where Volvo is from
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:23 pm

Re: William's 1993 480ES Two-Tone

Post by 100 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:03 am

WillC9303 wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:04 pm
Thanks! I saw Oli's diary, and that's the sort of condition that I'm aiming for with my TT.
Don't make me laugh!

My car is currently parked outside the local village pub as it died on the way home and I managed to roll to a stop outside (how convenient!) So don't be misled by my pictures as my car still needs a lot of love to get it nice and 'clean' although, prior to this electric mishap, it has been very reliable.

Congratulations on finding what looks to be an excellent example - and with a 2.0 engine - how I dream! Look forward to meeting in the future and getting the best colour combo side by side!

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name
Posts: 2180
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:03 am

Re: William's 1993 480ES Two-Tone

Post by jifflemon » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:17 pm

Died how?!? Does it need a visit?

Post Reply