William's 1993 480ES Two-Tone

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Re: William's 1993 480ES Two-Tone

Post by MisterH » Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:06 pm

oh.
My.
GOD.

Will those accessories are utterly wonderful I do not know where to start. That radio you have looks sublime, although I now have more radios than I have classics to put them in (working on it :lol: ) I do still want more! And that CD changer is peak 90s cool.

I had no idea there was a wood veneer option. In two minds over whether or not I like it, but perhaps that is because it is just an appetiser for the rest of the legendary Hausser kit.

I do hope you are doing well! I am back from uni and itching to get the Wedge out, even if it is a little salty out there
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

WillC9303
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by WillC9303 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:03 pm

MisterH wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:06 pm
oh.
My.
GOD.

Will those accessories are utterly wonderful I do not know where to start. That radio you have looks sublime, although I now have more radios than I have classics to put them in (working on it :lol: ) I do still want more! And that CD changer is peak 90s cool.

I had no idea there was a wood veneer option. In two minds over whether or not I like it, but perhaps that is because it is just an appetiser for the rest of the legendary Hausser kit.

I do hope you are doing well! I am back from uni and itching to get the Wedge out, even if it is a little salty out there
Thanks Ben :D
Yes, the radio is quite nice - it's an older unit than the VC-602 I currently have, but I believe it is the better radio of the two. I plan to fit it once I can get that small part I need for the equalizer port. The changer is very nice too! Just need to figure out where to mount it as the Celebration models (that came as standard with them) all seem to have them mounted in different places. I may try and see if I can fit mine under the passenger seat.

The wood is very marmite-y. There are a couple of 480s on the continent with Hausser wood parts in them, but I seem to be the only UK based 480 owner that has some (that I know of anyway). Hausser did supply their own branded carpet mats as well, but I'm not sure that any survive.

Hope you're enjoying Uni, what are you studying if you don't mind me asking?
William

1993 2.0i Limited Edition

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:53 pm

WillC9303 wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:03 pm
MisterH wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:06 pm
oh.
My.
GOD.

Thanks Ben :D
Yes, the radio is quite nice - it's an older unit than the VC-602 I currently have, but I believe it is the better radio of the two. I plan to fit it once I can get that small part I need for the equalizer port. The changer is very nice too! Just need to figure out where to mount it as the Celebration models (that came as standard with them) all seem to have them mounted in different places. I may try and see if I can fit mine under the passenger seat.

The wood is very marmite-y. There are a couple of 480s on the continent with Hausser wood parts in them, but I seem to be the only UK based 480 owner that has some (that I know of anyway). Hausser did supply their own branded carpet mats as well, but I'm not sure that any survive.

Hope you're enjoying Uni, what are you studying if you don't mind me asking?
I am doing business management with international business :)
I think with the changer it just needs to go wherever is handy for you, space is at a premium in a 480, and that thing might cut down on how much space you have for luggage/sleeping
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:51 pm

Changer was NOT standard in Celebration
Only 400 with changer as standard was 96/97 440/460 CD model.

If you had an optional changer fitted, Volvo fitted it to the left hand side of the boot, as per the set up in my GT.

Without wishing to rain on the parade, I think you need a Volvo changer to go with that HU, which were Mitsubishi - that radio cassette is not a Philips one rebadged, and I don't think that Philips changer will talk to it......

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

WillC9303
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by WillC9303 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:40 pm

dcwalker wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:51 pm
I must be going mad.....I always assumed it was standard, seeing as I've seen so many Celebrations online with CD Changers fitted and just put two and two together. It's a shame there was no standardisation for CD Changers and radios. You'd have thought all the car manufacturers would have just gone to one or two companies and slapped their own branding on the same CD Changer model.

Will have to do some more research then.
William

1993 2.0i Limited Edition

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:58 am

WillC9303 wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:40 pm
dcwalker wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:51 pm
I must be going mad.....I always assumed it was standard, seeing as I've seen so many Celebrations online with CD Changers fitted and just put two and two together. It's a shame there was no standardisation for CD Changers and radios. You'd have thought all the car manufacturers would have just gone to one or two companies and slapped their own branding on the same CD Changer model.

Will have to do some more research then.
I know what you mean - would make chasing down cables easier!

With Volvo, all (or certainly nearly all) the standard fit units in the 400 series were Philips. Sometimes rebadged, sometimes (like in the Celebration) not. Very few of the 400 standard units (the VC600, 601, 602, 802 etc) have the capacity to directly control a cd changer. Those that do talk - not surprisingly - to Philips changers, although there are 2 or 3 different cable connections...

Swedish built Volvos had different head units. The 700 range units like you have there, and the CR ones. These were mostly Mitsubishi or Alpine, but other makes too. These talk to Volvo branded changers. To confuse things, some of these units were available as accessories and upgrades in the 400s.

So, for example, in my 480 GT I have a CR906 plus Volvo changer in the boot - in 1994 that upgrade would set you back nearly £2000!!! They're both Mitsubishi units but Volvo badged, and replaced the standard VC802 (a Philips, of course).

Standard in my 460 CD is VC763 (I think - its the one Will did that fantastic repair and thread on, and i haven'tyet retieved it) which is a Volvo badged Philips unit, complete with a Philips CD changer in the boot.

Confused yet?

I'll make it worse - a commonly fitted option in the facelift 440/460 was a Sony CD changer in the boot, which linked to a separate control unit up front in the lower dash and connected to the standard VC802 or 602 via its aerial lead - because, of course, those units cannot directly control a CD changer.....

So basically, a minefield :lol:

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:01 pm

When it comes to these sorts of things I have always gone with "if it has the same connectors at the back it'll be fine"

The Philips DC954 in mine slotted straight in, but when I tried putting a Blaupunkt in there I could have a cassette player but no radio function :/

I am a sucker for vintage radios, they are so clever imo
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

richard-smyth
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by richard-smyth » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:11 pm

Thanks David, didn't know all of that.
William I will have another look, as I was a bit surprised when I found that one I sent you in me garage.
So there might be another Philips or Volvo radio cassette car stereo hidden away somewhere.
If I find one, I will tell you its model number and the shape of connector for the CD changer.
Cheers, Richard.