Sven the Terrible

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Re: Sven the Terrible

Post by dragonflyjewels » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:24 pm

Thrones ? Ah, the American eagles ! I wish they were as comfortable as they are good looking - luckily the sofa is less attractive but super comfy, so that's for sitting on and the chairs for looking at. Pity anyone who comes to visit.... :lol:

The runners were a fairly quick and easy job, once the seats were out. Extraction without a Jeff-toy was the hard part, so the bodyshop got landed with that one.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Tue May 04, 2021 8:50 pm

Sven is now finished, just needs a few bits sorted on the interior then he's off to Pedantic for an mot. We've only had the sides and back painted, plus black stripes re-instated on the all-green bumpers.

Looks great, just don't look at the roof and bonnet ! They will have to wait until a later date. As mentioned on James' thread, the black bumper stripes aren't wide enough, he's matched them to the width of the rubbing strip stripes. Obviously forgotten the conversation we had on the same subject when he was doing Snazzy. Sven has screws on the ends of the rear bumper stripes, but they have been on there so long that the bumper has distorted and wouldn't fit properly without them. So, screws are still there but now painted black so a lot less obvious.
Sylvia

hubby has

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Tue May 04, 2021 8:57 pm

Very smart! Metallic green is high up on my favourites list.

I even took Jeff’s Turbo “Henry” for them to photograph and measure the bumper stripes but have the same little issue as you. I suspect I will have to live with it!
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Wed May 05, 2021 7:51 am

Wow... bit of a treat on here the last 24 hours. All these immaculate 480's!

Sven is looking really good. 8)
Jay-Kay-Em
-------------------------------------
Click here for My 480 Turbo Diary
Click here for My Cars

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:16 pm

Haynes Breakfast Club event earlier this month, as posted on Instagram :

now why are some pictures all pixillated ??
never mind, complimetary text is on the breakfast club thread
Sylvia

hubby has

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:55 pm

A few months ago the Practical Classics editor was looking for a 480 to photograph for an article and liked the sound of a red launch car. James volunteered, and I offered for us to go along with my white turbo and Al's GT as backup (also known as gatecrashing). Knowing James' car had only just been rebuilt after being stripped in the bodyshop there was the niggling worry he might have a problem with it on the day and I wanted to make sure they had at least one 480. We couldn't decide which one was best to take so as it was only in Peterborough we took two in different colours. I also wanted to talk to the editor about the rescue group and generally promote the 480 in hope of some good publicity. I had a spare, slightly duff copy of Eric's book I was happy to give him so he could read up on them in the hopes of accurate info hitting the magazine. He was distinctly chuffed to be given it and was so impressed he said he might do a little cameo piece about the book as well.
One of the first things he told us was that as they had a choice of 3, which 480 they used would be dependant on the colour once they'd mocked up the cover. Rather embarrassingly, they chose Sven purely because he's green and made a good contrast to the other cars featured.
The magazine is out now, for October 2021 and there is a tiny Sven in the background on the cover. Much bigger photos inside, even if the colour is distinctly turquoise in the biggest one. The text is good, compliments the 480 and the forum so a good outcome even if James' photoshoot was rather embarrassingly hijacked. James and I were both interviewed and photographed with our cars as well, probably for an article in a later issue. We had a great day, talking car talk with other owners and chatting to James then the 3 of us went off for lunch after which we drove in convoy with him back to Cambridge before heading for home.

Sylvia

hubby has

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:10 pm

Always nice to get your car in print. Well done.

Why do all these magazine articles say the 2.0 is Volvos’ own? They must just copy & paste the previous magazine article!
Jay-Kay-Em
-------------------------------------
Click here for My 480 Turbo Diary
Click here for My Cars