My 480 GT

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

phil480
Knows where Volvo is from

My 480 GT

Post by phil480 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:38 pm

So, day 5 of ownership, I thought I best start posting here.
Lets start with a bit of the history that I know. This 480 GT had one owner from new for most of it's life. It appears to have been located in the Peterborough area where it was having it's servicing done. The service book shows mostly routine servicing done at the correct intervals. Some gaps to appear later on in it's life, as well as some concerning MOT history, mostly regarding subframe and suspension corrosion. In 2012 there was a lot of MOT failures, most of which must have been fixed because it has passed the re-test without any advisories (although it wouldn't be unheard of for a MOT tester to let some things slide). Subsequent MOT's passed but with the recurring advisory on subframe corrosion, which is my main concern.
In 2014, the odometer stopped working and is stuck at 94k miles. Based of the previous recorded mileage on MOT's and in the service book, it appears that the car was only doing about 2K miles a year, so I estimate mileage is around 110k.
There was some sort of damage to the drivers side door which was repaired. Not sure to what extent, there is nothing screamingly obvious apart from the missing door pocket and shoddy attempt at removing the door card.
The car found it's way to Anglia Car Auctions and was sold in August this year to the eBay seller I bought it from. Some of you would have probably seen this on other posts here.
Looks like the seller made £50 on this, assuming he didn't spend any money on it for the short time it was in his possession.

I picked it up last week, and it made the 135 mile drive from Harwich, Essex to Littlehampton, West Sussex no trouble at all. Since getting it home and having some time getting to know the car, I have compiled a list of things to get sorted. Overall, I am very happy with it and look forward to getting it back up to a better standard as it deserves.

The paintwork is pretty good apart from some bubbling on the arches as you'd expect. Theres a couple of scratches on the offside panel, possibly related to the repaired damage to the driver's door. The plastic that surrounds the front number plate has gone brittle and mostly crumbled away. Looks like one of the rear side reflectors was lost or damaged and has been replaced by a hideous generic replacement. The rear light clusters are not great. Nearside is okay, just cloudy, the offside has some damage and cracks to the top edge. The piece between them around the boot lock is also cracked. Also, a Facebook member pointed out that the front splitter is also missing!
Alloy wheels are in good condition, and tyres look pretty new. Plenty of tread but they are cheap ones. No worries with grip so far, but will definitely invest in a more reputable brand next time.

The interior is mostly good, rear seats look like they've hardly been used, although there is an imprint from the seatbelt buckles as if the seats have been folded down for some time. Front seats are a bit cracked but no peeling. I will get some leather treatment on them anyway. The front passenger seat has a leather tag on it, not sure if this is an original thing or if it's been reconditioned at some point. It doesn't look new.

Under the bonnet, things look quite good. It's quite clean and it does look like there's a few parts that have been recently replaced.

So, bit of a to do list:
  • Service -last service is unknown so I'd like to get a service done for peace of mind.
  • Handbrake adjustment -I've improved it a bit but needs more attention.
  • Fix Odometer -no idea why it isn't working, I'm guessing it's just a stuck mechanism. Speedo is fine. -Edit: Now fixed with a home made 3D printed replacement mechanism cog
  • Have somebody inspect underneath and see how bad the corrosion is. From what I can see it appears worse than it is, but I'm not an expert. Hopefully it is just a case of treating it and sealing it. I'll get the shock absorbers and anti-roll bars replaced
  • Investigate idle speed, seems a bit high to me at 1100RPM. Sometimes idles fast when sitting in traffic. Also, it has stalled on a couple of cold starts. It will start up fine and idle for a few seconds, then the revs just plummet. Starts straight back up okay and stays running but the rev counter no longer reads. It comes back after a few minutes.
  • Investigate weird knocking noise coming from the rear nearside. Sounds like two planks of wood clanking together when going over small bumps at lower speeds. Seems fine at faster speeds.
  • Name! Can't be doing with calling it an it. Needs to be a he or she, I'm feeling the latter
  • Replace the following parts:
    Rear nearside side reflector -Done at last!
    Boot gas struts -Done
    Front splitter
    Drivers seatbelt arm -Done
    Front number plate trim -Acquired, not fitted yet
    Rear light clusters
    Rear centre trim (the bit around the boot lock) -Done
I have a 3D printer at home, so I am going to attempt to print some replacement parts such as the clips for the boot cover and the heating slider knob.
From previous experience, I know the seatbelt arms are pretty hard to get hold of now. If I can make them and they work well enough, it would be great to have on demand spares and also be able to help out fellow owners.

That's it for today. You can expect me to be asking questions in the forums about some of the above soon.
Last edited by phil480 on Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
Current: 480 GT 2.0 '94 in Red
Previous: 480 ES 2.0 '93 in White K464SWP -Sold in 2009. Presumed dead

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Re: My 480 GT

Post by MisterH » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:49 pm

Ouch those hind quarter reflectors :shock:

You certainly have a job on your hands, but great that it's in enthusiast ownership

I also get a knocking noise from mine in exactly the same way, I think it is the exhaust bumping against the tub, as when I had a new one fitted it was doing that constantly as it wasn't set up right, it is now fixed and only does it over small speedbumps
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:21 pm

Overall Phil, looks lovely - and you sound to be pleased with her, which is the main thing :D . It's lovely to see yet another GT safely in the fold, and it makes a change for it to be red rather than green!

Nothing on your list of faults sounds horrendous or unusual for a 480. If it were me I'd get the corrosion question sorted out first - there were similar advisories on my new 440 project about the subframe and rear suspension, and at a quick look the subframe did worry me. However, I went under the car and gave it a through rub down with a wire brush, checking every part of it carefully as I went around. I was changing the clutch anyway, as well as the wishbones and drop links (I know, why not make a big job bigger still?) so the amount of dismantling that I'd done provided clearer access than would otherwise have been the case. All the corrosion was surface only; you could see inside the frame original paintwork looking fine. Treated it, painted it, and it looks an awful lot better. Plus I have satisfied myself that it is, in fact, sound. Hopefully yours will be the same...

I know you've had a 480 before so you'll be ready to tackle a lot of the things on your list. I think the only change from previous ownership you'll find is that many things that were rare before are now akin to hens' teeth :( . Plenty of help on here though!

Keep us posted and shout when you need help...

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

Norm57
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by Norm57 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:23 pm

Welcome Phil,as D C has said subframe first,if that’s ok then I would do cambelt and water pump as you have doubts over mileage. The info centre can be sent to Brinkie in the Netherlands so he can work his magic on it. The odometer problem is probably caused by failure of the twenty tooth cog (common fault). Their is a set of rear lights on face book at the moment but the price will shock you, an alternative is to wait a bit till our French friends start producing their copies. Best of luck with your wedge. Norm.

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:17 pm

Such an "eyes-wide-open" write up. I have no doubt this GT was on the cusp and it's fantastic to know it's in the community with someone who knows the score.

EW is a Cambridgeshire registration and no doubt its a Cecil & Larter car from either Peterborough or Godmanchester.... both defunct now!

Don't fret too much over the front subframe. It's only steel and can be repaired with a good fabricator. Some worry about MoT implications welding a subframe, but a high quality weld is as good as new and after powdercoat, who would know?!?

Sounds like vacuum leaks for the idle - spray a bit of brake cleaner in key places and see if the revs fluctuate. This includes all the carbon canister plumbing.

There's an excellent How-To on here (Jaster & Brinkie) for the odo cog.

Like others have said... cambelt, cambelt, cambelt!

Look forward to future updates. I was honestly expecting this car to deja-vu on eBay countless times over, but this is excellent news!
Jay-Kay-Em
-------------------------------------
Click here for My 480 Turbo Diary
Click here for My Cars

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:22 pm

phil480 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:38 pm
  • Service -last service is unknown so I'd like to get a service done for peace of mind.
  • Handbrake adjustment -I've improved it a bit but needs more attention.
  • Fix Odometer -no idea why it isn't working, I'm guessing it's just a stuck mechanism. Speedo is fine.
  • Have somebody inspect underneath and see how bad the corrosion is. From what I can see it appears worse than it is, but I'm not an expert. Hopefully it is just a case of treating it and sealing it. I'll get the shock absorbers and anti-roll bars replaced
  • Investigate idle speed, seems a bit high to me at 1100RPM. Sometimes idles fast when sitting in traffic. Also, it has stalled on a couple of cold starts. It will start up fine and idle for a few seconds, then the revs just plummet. Starts straight back up okay and stays running but the rev counter no longer reads. It comes back after a few minutes.
  • Investigate weird knocking noise coming from the rear nearside. Sounds like two planks of wood clanking together when going over small bumps at lower speeds. Seems fine at faster speeds.
  • Name! Can't be doing with calling it an it. Needs to be a he or she, I'm feeling the latter
  • Replace the following parts:
    Rear nearside side reflector -possibly sourced
    Boot gas struts -possibly sourced
    Front splitter
    Drivers seatbelt arm -possibly sourced
    Front number plate trim -possibly sourced
    Rear light clusters
    Rear centre trim (the bit around the boot lock) -possibly sourced
Ok Servicing. you'll find many a thread covering it on here. Parts are easy to obtain, but I'd recommend looking for good brands (valeo for as much as possible!), gates for belts.

Handbrake adjustment: Covered twice - full replacement or service adjustment (second one covers a lot of servicing basics too)

Odometer fix? Got you covered

Most people have suggested stuff for the rest, so I think we've got you on a good starting point.

Just to requote Jay-Kay-Em
Jay-Kay-Em wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:37 pm
So many 480 broken dreams. Buy, obtain paintshop & welding quote, sell. Rinse and repeat ad infinitum.

They all hang on a knife edge.
Am pleased this one has hopefully found its home. :D

phil480

Post by phil480 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:12 pm

MisterH wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:49 pm
Ouch those hind quarter reflectors :shock:

You certainly have a job on your hands, but great that it's in enthusiast ownership

I also get a knocking noise from mine in exactly the same way, I think it is the exhaust bumping against the tub, as when I had a new one fitted it was doing that constantly as it wasn't set up right, it is now fixed and only does it over small speedbumps
Yes, safe to say the dodgy reflector is the thing I hate most right now. I'm not OCD much, but that is really getting to me haha. Hopefully I only have to put up with it for a few more days and I'll have the correct one in.
As for the knocking, you may be on to something there, I'll investigate that further.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:19 pm

phil480 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:12 pm
Yes, safe to say the dodgy reflector is the thing I hate most right now. I'm not OCD much, but that is really getting to me haha. Hopefully I only have to put up with it for a few more days and I'll have the correct one in.
As for the knocking, you may be on to something there, I'll investigate that further.
How is that reflector held on? That's what's been worrying me the most...

Knocking will be the exhaust for sure.

phil480

Post by phil480 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:28 pm

Jay-Kay-Em wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:17 pm
Such an "eyes-wide-open" write up. I have no doubt this GT was on the cusp and it's fantastic to know it's in the community with someone who knows the score.

EW is a Cambridgeshire registration and no doubt its a Cecil & Larter car from either Peterborough or Godmanchester.... both defunct now!

Don't fret too much over the front subframe. It's only steel and can be repaired with a good fabricator. Some worry about MoT implications welding a subframe, but a high quality weld is as good as new and after powdercoat, who would know?!?

Sounds like vacuum leaks for the idle - spray a bit of brake cleaner in key places and see if the revs fluctuate. This includes all the carbon canister plumbing.

There's an excellent How-To on here (Jaster & Brinkie) for the odo cog.

Like others have said... cambelt, cambelt, cambelt!

Look forward to future updates. I was honestly expecting this car to deja-vu on eBay countless times over, but this is excellent news!
Correct, Cecil & Larter, Peterborough stamps in the service book and sticker on the boot hatch.
Good shout about checking for a vacuum leak, I had to try that for a similar issue on one of my bikes.
Odometer cog sounds like a very common issue, I bet that's what it is, since speedo and info centre readouts work fine. I'll be having a look at that this weekend.
Cambelt looks recent, but I wouldn't want to push my luck there, so that will be high up on the list.

phil480

Post by phil480 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:52 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:19 pm

How is that reflector held on? That's what's been worrying me the most...
I've just popped out to have a closer look. It's not screwed in to anything, I think it's glued on to the original back plastic piece. It looks to be the same colour as the other side, as well as the rubber seal. Not a great photo, but you can just make out some of the original reflector through the screw hole.
I guess the reflector material got damaged and they couldn't find an original replacement.
If I get my fingers behind it, it feels like it will pry off but not as easily as the other side. Once I've got the proper replacement and it's daylight, I'll have another go at it

phil480

Post by phil480 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:27 pm

Day 7
After some heavy rain last night, I thought I'd have a check for water leaks. Sure enough, the boot was a bit damp in the corners behind the light clusters. This didn't come as a surprise. However, I did find that the rear right hand passenger footwell was very wet. Having a quick search through the forums here suggest it could just be coming in from the boot. I would have had more of a look, but my attention was drawn to a pair of broken white wires below the drivers seat. I looked at the passenger seat for the same wires to see where they should go, and sure enough it was for the seat heaters.
Looks like the wires had just broken from years of the seat being tilted. I managed to pull the wires out from the seat enough to trim the manky ends off and repair them.
The drivers seat is definitely getting heat through now. I still need to check if the passenger seat is working.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:11 pm

phil480 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:52 pm
I've just popped out to have a closer look. It's not screwed in to anything, I think it's glued on to the original back plastic piece. It looks to be the same colour as the other side, as well as the rubber seal. Not a great photo, but you can just make out some of the original reflector through the screw hole.
I guess the reflector material got damaged and they couldn't find an original replacement.
If I get my fingers behind it, it feels like it will pry off but not as easily as the other side. Once I've got the proper replacement and it's daylight, I'll have another go at it
Panic levels are dropping down slowly... My fear was they'd screwed it into the bodywork! The originals shouldn't be hard to find; It's not exactly a part that goes wrong (the seal is the bit that fails, and replacements can be sourced).

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:51 pm

N/S knocking could be the anti roll bar drop links if it isn't the exhaust, they are easy to change out and are usually 'goosed' at that mileage....
even if it passed an MoT maybe worth a quick check.

sub-frame is important though, decent prodding required :-)

for what it's worth (against 'proper' route) it is feasible to swap the front subframe and leave suspension, engine & gearbox all in situ!!

not a good idea doing it on hottest day of the year which I did ....

I had access to a pit and a decent lifting beam to hold engine/gearbox up with two trolley jacks to lift the car evenly :wink:
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

phil480

Post by phil480 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:35 pm

Alan 480 wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:51 pm
N/S knocking could be the anti roll bar drop links if it isn't the exhaust, they are easy to change out and are usually 'goosed' at that mileage....
even if it passed an MoT maybe worth a quick check.

sub-frame is important though, decent prodding required :-)

for what it's worth (against 'proper' route) it is feasible to swap the front subframe and leave suspension, engine & gearbox all in situ!!

not a good idea doing it on hottest day of the year which I did ....

I had access to a pit and a decent lifting beam to hold engine/gearbox up with two trolley jacks to lift the car evenly :wink:
Thanks Alan, good shout, I'll take a look, hopefully tomorrow if the weather is okay (doesn't look good at the moment, I want to get the handbrake cables adjusted properly). I was going to get the anti roll bars and shock absorbers changed anyway, even if they aren't too bad. Unfortunately I don't have access to lifts and pits etc, so this is going to have to go in somewhere to be looked at.

phil480

Post by phil480 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:41 pm

Day 9 of ownership.
Today I dismantled the dashboard to get the instrument display out with the hope of fixing the odometer.
During dissasembly, I found one of the screws for the dash surround trim was missing. Someone has had this apart before. I also noticed a blown bulb behind the headlamp switch. I had forgot that there should be illumination in the headlamp and foglight switches. So I replaced that before re-assembly as well as the light for the analogue clock (again, I didn't know that this should be illuminated until I saw it had a bulb in the back of it).

Thanks to Jaster & Brinkie and their guide here on dismantling the dash and clocks: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=35684

The circuit components and solder joints all looked good. I also wanted to give all the bulbs a test to make sure they were all working, but my multimeter had ran out of battery, and the only other 9v battery I had was also a dud. I couldn't even nick one from the smoke alarm because we have these fancy new ones with lithium ion batteries. So I've had to skip testing the bulbs, I'm pretty sure there is just one illumination bulb that is dead behind the rev counter. Unfortunately I didn't have a spare handy for that one, so that will have to wait until the next inevitable dash opening.

Side note: Following the above guide, I found I was missing the screw from the perspex cover of the speedo unit. Did someone attempt this repair before? Or did the factory miss that bit during assembly, I wonder?

Once I had the speedo unit out, there was indeed a missing tooth on the cog. Said cog is made of cheese, no wonder this is a common fault. More teeth broken away as I was prizing it off the spindle. It was covered in what I first thought was glue, but it was more of a sticky substance, possibly a form of lubricant that had expired? (no idea :dunno:). It seemed that it was hindering the cog from turning if anything.

Rather than buy a replacement cog (thanks to Jifflemon for the link to the eBay seller based in Hungary for the replacement cogs), I thought I'd attempt to 3D print one. If it works, it means I can have one today rather than having to wait, also it would cost me much less.
Here's the ebay link should anyone need a proper one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-tooth-odo ... %7Ciid%3A1

Designing the part for printing was quite easy because the eBay listing gave the approximate dimensions of the part (seems pretty accurate). So I knew I needed a 20 tooth cog with an 8.6mm diameter, 2mm bore, 1.7mm gear thickness and an overall height of 3.4mm. So, over at a basic online 3D design tool called Tinkercad, I used their existing cog template and input the toot count and dimensions. After some tinkering, I had made a close looking replacement. Time to hit print...

Image Image

The teeth could do with being a bit longer when you look at it sde by side. The problem is, getting a 3D printer to print that fine and it actually turn out right is very difficult. My Creality Ender 3 managed to do a good enough job though.

After a few test prints and some adjustments to the tooth length, I had one that looked good for the job. A bit of filing was needed inside the bore hole for it to fit on the spindle and be able to turn.
I gave the trip counters a few miles worth of turns to make sure it was all functioning correctly.

I was happy with it, so I proceeded to re-assemble the instruments and get it all back in place. A quick power on to make sure lights and switches were working before screwing everything back in, and it was time for a test drive.
For the first time since 2014, the odometer now works! Huzzah!

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:50 pm

Fantastic day's work - well done!

All my speedo cog replacement exercises have involved buying cogs in: that must be so so useful being able to print them off yourself.

From your final photo your panel looks fully illuminated, despite your comment about a possible missing light behind the rev counter...if you do decide to replace those bulbs at some stage (and you'll be surprised how much brighter it looks with new bulbs) do make sure you use 3W bulbs and not the simpler to obtain 5W bulbs, or you'll melt things!!

Being really picky you have a lights on bulb (bottom left corner) out ;)

Coming on nicely Phil!!

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:54 pm

phil480 wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:41 pm
Day 9 of ownership.
Today I dismantled the dashboard to get the instrument display out with the hope of fixing the odometer.
During dissasembly, I found one of the screws for the dash surround trim was missing. Someone has had this apart before.
Just one screw missing?

Mine only had one screw holding it on :crazy:

Now has two after some messing around with plasticard :D
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

phil480

Post by phil480 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:57 pm

[/quote]

Just one screw missing?

Mine only had one screw holding it on :crazy:

Now has two after some messing around with plasticard :D
[/quote]

:rofl: Sounds like I have a lucky one :D

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:23 pm

phil480 wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:41 pm
Rather than buy a replacement cog (thanks to Jifflemon for the link to the eBay seller based in Hungary for the replacement cogs), I thought I'd attempt to 3D print one. If it works, it means I can have one today rather than having to wait, also it would cost me much less.
I actually keep stock of these (along with every type of dashboard bulb!) as as means of trying encourage owners to fix these little jobs!

details here

phil480

Post by phil480 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:47 pm

I actually keep stock of these (along with every type of dashboard bulb!) as as means of trying encourage owners to fix these little jobs!

details here
That's good to know! I'll definitely come to you before visiting the likes of eBay/Amazon.