My 480 GT

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

MisterH
480 Veteran

Re: My 480 GT

Post by MisterH » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:19 pm

Here is the new exhaust I had fitted to my car off the shelf. When we started driving it again the knocking noise came on after every bump

what we found was the mounting bar (side of the pipe closest to fog lights, in front of the silencer) was slightly the wrong shape, it is suspended from a rubber mount under the body, and was bending this mount in an awkward position so we had to bend the bar a little bit (its not massively strong, but be careful) to get the fit to be more comfortable, now the knocking noise only comes on speed bumps and even then I am not sure if it is the exhaust, the Rover does it too I think (will confirm as getting that out soon)

Hope this helps
Current Jobs to do (1/1/21):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
suspension creaking below 40mph

edie_fox
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by edie_fox » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:54 pm

phil480 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:52 pm
Once I've got the proper replacement and it's daylight, I'll have another go at it
If you still need one....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Paire-de-cat ... ondition=4

phil480
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by phil480 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:10 pm

Okay, it has been a while since I last posted here. Unfortunately, it's not good news.

I have a neighbour who is a bit of a Volvo enthusiast, so he was delighted to see a 480 parked on the street. Turns out he works at the local Volvo dealership, and was able to get me a very good price on a full service/MOT/Cambelt replaced. So I got it all booked in. Unfortunately, the car didn't get passed their initial health check. They found a lot of things that would definitely fail on the MOT. The worst of things being the rear beam, one of the spring mounts has broken, so the spring it no longer secured. So that's going to be coming off to get repaired.

The whole list is as follows...
  • Major failues:

Rear Beam -Clean, repair, paint.

Both Rear Calipers seized -I have sourced a replacement set which I will send off for refurb.

Handbrake cables- Just need re-securing. At least one of the clips is missing under the car.

Rear lights- When operating the indicators, they interfere with the tail/brake lights. This is probably just some corroded contacts that need cleaning up.

Idle speed too high- Replacement Idle Air Control Valve has been sourced thanks to DCWalker on here :)
  • Strong advisories:

Front & rear disc backplates have excess rust -I've been told these can't be obtained any more. So I either need to have some new ones made or see if I can clean them up and paint them best I can.

Rear washer jet not working -Not sure about this, I topped up my screenwash a few days before the car went in and gave the front and rear windows a good squirt no problem. Will try this next time I'm with the car, could just be dirt/frost clogging the nozzle.

Front lower arms corroded, may clean up okay but replacements would be best.

Front subframe also needs some attention.
So there we have it, not good at all, but could also be a lot worse. If it was any other car, I'd just write it off. A 480 deserves better!
It will be off the road for a while until I can at least get the brakes and rear beam sorted. I've had a look at the beam overhaul guide on here and it looks like I should be able to get that done myself, or at least remove the beam and take it to a workshop.
This wouldn't be so bad if it was summer and we weren't in lockdown.
Current: 480 GT 2.0 '94 in Red
Previous: 480 ES 2.0 '93 in White K464SWP -Sold in 2009. Presumed dead

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:45 pm

Surely the children that work at a Volvo dealer will never see an aged car in the usual circumstances? Apart from the rear suspension stuff that doesn’t seem to bad.

The brake disc shields aren’t particularly important and lots of people run without them when they do eventually turn to dust. If you do want new ones they are available from Skandix and from a Polish seller on eBay.

If your front arms are original and can be cleaned up and reprotected for another decade then personally I’d rather have repainted originals on that some aftermarket stuff that the paint will fall off after a year anyway.

Good luck with it!
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2001 Volvo C70 2.4T convertible (Olivolvo)
2003 Renault Avantime 3.0 V6 (Big Ren)
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:03 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:45 pm
the brake disc shields aren’t particularly important and lots of people run without them when they do eventually turn to dust. If you do want new ones they are available from Skandix and from a Polish seller on eBay.
I doubt if actually a legal requirement? so remove entirely and say 'never fitted' ?

I made my own for rear from 18SWG galvanised, I have a pattern, it is held on with the clips normally used to hold mud-flaps, lasted about ten years so far...

for the front ones then ally and held on with the caliper bolts as opposed to the 'peened' as per original
jamescarruthers wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:45 pm
f your front arms are original and can be cleaned up and reprotected for another decade then personally I’d rather have repainted originals on that some aftermarket stuff that the paint will fall off after a year anyway.
oddly I replaced both on EVA and one the paint is still OK, the other 'not so good' !!
Alan

480 ES 2litre x 2 (1 x Normal, 1 x 'Celebration' ? ), C30 1.8ES, SS1

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:07 pm

Sounds as if the Volvo people are going for perfection rather than being realistic about the age of the car.

Brake disc back plates aren't an MOT item as far as I know - I suppose if there was a risk of a bit breaking off and getting caught in the brakes that would be an issue but otherwise... my 440 lacks them at the back, wasn't even mentioned at MOT. I have brushed up what's left of the front ones, removed any really rusty, hanging-off bits, then painted with Hammerite.

Take a wire brush to the subframe and wishbone if the bushes are ok. Treat then paint.

If new wishbones would be easier, Lemforder are good. Don't battle trying to replace the bushes - false economy in my view!

Rear washer - if you remove the c-pillar trim inside the boot you'll see the pipe to the washer jet. Following it back up above the side window- there may be enough free-play to pull the hose out, or may need to remove strip holding up the headlining there (it just pulls off). What you're looking for is a valve connection piece -- any muck in the washer bottle gets as far as that then gets caught. Remove and check water pumps out (put a container under it or it'll go straight in had boot!). Clean out valve carefully under tap with piece of wire. Hopefully that'll solve it.

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1995 Celebration 331 (plus 2004 C70 Collection & 1995 440 ES)
Previous: Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:29 pm

phil480 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:10 pm
  • Major failues:

Rear Beam -Clean, repair, paint.

Both Rear Calipers seized -I have sourced a replacement set which I will send off for refurb.

Handbrake cables- Just need re-securing. At least one of the clips is missing under the car.

Rear lights- When operating the indicators, they interfere with the tail/brake lights. This is probably just some corroded contacts that need cleaning up.

Idle speed too high- Replacement Idle Air Control Valve has been sourced thanks to DCWalker on here :)
  • Strong advisories:

Front & rear disc backplates have excess rust -I've been told these can't be obtained any more. So I either need to have some new ones made or see if I can clean them up and paint them best I can.

Rear washer jet not working -Not sure about this, I topped up my screenwash a few days before the car went in and gave the front and rear windows a good squirt no problem. Will try this next time I'm with the car, could just be dirt/frost clogging the nozzle.

Front lower arms corroded, may clean up okay but replacements would be best.

Front subframe also needs some attention.
Rear Beam - Clean, repair paint. Absolutely the right thing to do.
Both Rear Calipers seized - I'd recommend BCS, although I'd get the fronts done at the same time.
Handbrake cables - Again, probably worth replacing for the money they cost.
Idle speed too high - Good old DC......

Strong advisories:

Front & rear disc backplates have excess rust. Complete and utter twaddle. As James has said, you can run without or spend a fortune replacing them. Doesn't affect MOT, doesn't affect brake performance, its purely a cosmetic thing.
Rear washer jet - Yup, give a blow with some compressed air, usually clears them
Front lower arms corroded - Once again, I call BS. Unless there's play in the bushes or balljoint, or the corrosion is SO excessive its weakening the metal....
Front subframe - Treat it like the rear. Clean and paint.

Just from that list, I'd be steering absolutely clear of volvo.... Especially as the car is probably older than all their "mechanics".

MisterH
480 Veteran

Post by MisterH » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:35 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:29 pm
Especially as the car is probably older than all their "mechanics".
You mean, "Diagnostic technicians"?

Maybe that is a bit harsh :?
Current Jobs to do (1/1/21):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
suspension creaking below 40mph

phil480

Post by phil480 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:53 pm

MisterH wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:35 pm
jifflemon wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:29 pm
Especially as the car is probably older than all their "mechanics".
You mean, "Diagnostic technicians"?

Maybe that is a bit harsh :?
:rofl: I did get the luxury of driving a new XC40 R Design with all the gadgets on. Very nice to drive, but it's like a bloody spaceship and does most of the driving for you. Imagine all the things that could go wrong with these and how much you can't repair yourself without taking it in to be plugged into a computer.

phil480

Post by phil480 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:56 pm

dcwalker wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:07 pm
Sounds as if the Volvo people are going for perfection rather than being realistic about the age of the car.

Brake disc back plates aren't an MOT item as far as I know - I suppose if there was a risk of a bit breaking off and getting caught in the brakes that would be an issue but otherwise...
I'd agree there, I think perfection rather than just roadworthy was their agenda here.
Regarding the back plates, that puts my mind at ease with you, Jeff, James and Alan all saying they shouldn't be an MOT requirement. So I'll take them off, clean and hammerite and see what the MOT says when the time comes.