Graphite grey 1989 480 Turbo

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

User avatar
Arctic
480 Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:15 pm
Location: Bourgogne, France

Graphite grey 1989 480 Turbo

Post by Arctic » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:41 pm

Hello there !

I'm a french working on a Graphite grey 1989 480 Turbo.
A lot of work, but without some 480's usual problems (electronics is good overall, doors close perfectly).
Painting will probably be the most expensive problem :
Image

The rust is also a bit annoying, but not too much :
Image
Image

I hope the 480 will look way better soon :)
Image
Image

I’ll keep track of the progress here.
To achieve anything in this game you must be prepare to dabble in the boundary of disaster.
— Stirling Moss

User avatar
MisterH
480 Veteran
Posts: 740
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm
Location: Stockbridge

Re: Graphite grey 1989 480 Turbo

Post by MisterH » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:04 pm

Looks like a tough, but by no means unassailable project! You will definitely have a great car at the end of it. In regards to painting bear in mind that on the bonnet, shovel-nose and bumpers the material requires a special process that may cost more, but there are plenty of people on here who know more about it than me! :lol:

Bon Continuation!
Current Jobs to do (1/1/21):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
suspension creaking below 40mph

yorkievolvo
Started learning about 480
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:34 pm

Re: Graphite grey 1989 480 Turbo

Post by yorkievolvo » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:57 pm

Welcome to the club, Arctic.
Plenty of advice, and information, herein.
Best of luck with your project.

User avatar
Arctic
480 Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:15 pm
Location: Bourgogne, France

Re: Graphite grey 1989 480 Turbo

Post by Arctic » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:41 pm

Thanks !
MisterH wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:04 pm
In regards to painting bear in mind that on the bonnet, shovel-nose and bumpers the material requires a special process that may cost more, but there are plenty of people on here who know more about it than me! :lol:
Interesting, I'll search more information.

But now, news gas springs :
Image
To achieve anything in this game you must be prepare to dabble in the boundary of disaster.
— Stirling Moss

User avatar
MisterH
480 Veteran
Posts: 740
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm
Location: Stockbridge

Re: Graphite grey 1989 480 Turbo

Post by MisterH » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:33 pm

Arctic wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:41 pm
Thanks !
MisterH wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:04 pm
In regards to painting bear in mind that on the bonnet, shovel-nose and bumpers the material requires a special process that may cost more, but there are plenty of people on here who know more about it than me! :lol:
Interesting, I'll search more information.

But now, news gas springs :
Image
this is what I was thinking about (on the history page on the main site):

"Yes, plastic, which is used on the 480 generously. The bumpers, for instance, are mostly made out of synthetic material. Mostly, because it has a metal core to meet the US-criteria for a 5 mph crash. And since the 480 is be the same for all different countries all european countries have 480ies with such a metal core in the bumper.
The accompanying spoiler is of course also made out of plastic, just like the bonnet and the part where the pop-up lights are located. These plastic parts could be painted in the painting facility which was new in 1985."

I hope this can help you!

I have Black bumpers on mine, so do not share the problem, though that being said, our '86 Audi quattro has a plastic rear spoiler with a metal core, which has started rusting. We know this because the plastic surface is blemishing and bubbling. The only way to fix this is by getting a black spoiler and painting in our colour (the term "painting" is used cautiously as the finish is more like that of a covered resin, much like a fibreglass gel coat). Assuming the 480 bumpers work the same way, that may be the only way to do it if they are too far gone, although I do know Sylvia has done a very nice job on her White Turbo (https://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/ ... hp?t=35378)
Current Jobs to do (1/1/21):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
suspension creaking below 40mph

User avatar
MisterH
480 Veteran
Posts: 740
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm
Location: Stockbridge

Re: Graphite grey 1989 480 Turbo

Post by MisterH » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:24 pm

also a quick question:

I don't suppose your car retains it's original pre-1994 licence plate? I am very fond of this style of plate and they seems to be very rare now, despite the fact that it is no longer necessary to change them - or am I wrong on that ?
Current Jobs to do (1/1/21):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
suspension creaking below 40mph

User avatar
jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name
Posts: 2017
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:19 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: Graphite grey 1989 480 Turbo

Post by jamescarruthers » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:41 pm

If you want a plate with the proper old font, which finishes off the car nicely, you can get them quite easily from online number plate places like Plates For Cars.
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2001 Volvo C70 2.4T convertible (Olivolvo)
2003 Renault Avantime 3.0 V6 (Big Ren)
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

User avatar
MisterH
480 Veteran
Posts: 740
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm
Location: Stockbridge

Re: Graphite grey 1989 480 Turbo

Post by MisterH » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:48 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:41 pm
If you want a plate with the proper old font, which finishes off the car nicely, you can get them quite easily from online number plate places like Plates For Cars.
In France it is slightly different: the I C O N I C black plates were replaced in 1994. Unlike in the UK, where the plate can stay with the car for its life, in France, at least until 2009, new plates had to be issued if the car's residence moved to a new département. Of course this means that many of the black plates have been lost, and many classic cars now sport the modern post-2009 plates which just look awful when a 1970s Simca sports the same style of plate as a 2012 box.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle ... _of_France

I just wonder if Arctic's car retains the original pre-94 black plates which would make it exceptional
Current Jobs to do (1/1/21):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
suspension creaking below 40mph

User avatar
MisterH
480 Veteran
Posts: 740
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm
Location: Stockbridge

Re: Graphite grey 1989 480 Turbo

Post by MisterH » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:53 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:41 pm
If you want a plate with the proper old font, which finishes off the car nicely, you can get them quite easily from online number plate places like Plates For Cars.
Just had a look at that site James, needless to say I think I have found a new place to exercise my religious obsession with period-correctness!
Current Jobs to do (1/1/21):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
suspension creaking below 40mph

User avatar
jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name
Posts: 2017
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:19 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: Graphite grey 1989 480 Turbo

Post by jamescarruthers » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:52 pm

Do you have the original plates for your car? Even one? If so, there is a company in Norfolk that will be able to copy the original dealer artwork for you. The did Jeff's Turbo Auto's and they were perfect.  

For me though, I just put this forum's Web address at the bottom in light blue Swedish number plate font and was quite happy with the results. ‎
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2001 Volvo C70 2.4T convertible (Olivolvo)
2003 Renault Avantime 3.0 V6 (Big Ren)
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

User avatar
MisterH
480 Veteran
Posts: 740
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm
Location: Stockbridge

Re: Graphite grey 1989 480 Turbo

Post by MisterH » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:32 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:52 pm
Do you have the original plates for your car? Even one? If so, there is a company in Norfolk that will be able to copy the original dealer artwork for you. The did Jeff's Turbo Auto's and they were perfect.  

For me though, I just put this forum's Web address at the bottom in light blue Swedish number plate font and was quite happy with the results. ‎
None of mine survived unfortunately, had some ghastly metal pressed ones on when I bought it, though I replaced them with modern plates bought from Seymour Horwell who sold the car in 1996, and have the sticker in the rear window. That being said, the quattro needs its rear plate protecting as that is the original plate with dealer branding on it, although I would like to keep it on as it's the original one
Current Jobs to do (1/1/21):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
suspension creaking below 40mph

User avatar
jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name
Posts: 2017
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:19 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: Graphite grey 1989 480 Turbo

Post by jamescarruthers » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:18 pm

‎Details of Norfolk plate manufacturer extraordinaire here
https://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/ ... lit=plate‎

Apologies for thread hijack. We should probably post in a new thread if we are to continue talking about number plates. ‎
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2001 Volvo C70 2.4T convertible (Olivolvo)
2003 Renault Avantime 3.0 V6 (Big Ren)
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

User avatar
MisterH
480 Veteran
Posts: 740
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm
Location: Stockbridge

Re: Graphite grey 1989 480 Turbo

Post by MisterH » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:48 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:18 pm
‎Details of Norfolk plate manufacturer extraordinaire here
https://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/ ... lit=plate‎

Apologies for thread hijack. We should probably post in a new thread if we are to continue talking about number plates. ‎
Yes, it'll have to be continued some other time. That being said, I do have a question for Arctic on his rear lights:

I have noticed that the before/after picture of your rear lights shows a cracked rear lends repaired, how were you able to repair that? Mine is also cracked albeit in a different way
Current Jobs to do (1/1/21):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
suspension creaking below 40mph

User avatar
Arctic
480 Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:15 pm
Location: Bourgogne, France

Re: Graphite grey 1989 480 Turbo

Post by Arctic » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:31 pm

MisterH wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:24 pm
also a quick question:
I don't suppose your car retains it's original pre-1994 licence plate?
Nope, I've yellow plate... for now, because the car wil soon have a "carte grise collection" (the car's registration document), and it will allow to use this old kind of plate : https://www.rebelcar.fr/plaque-auto-noi ... alisee.htm
To achieve anything in this game you must be prepare to dabble in the boundary of disaster.
— Stirling Moss

User avatar
MisterH
480 Veteran
Posts: 740
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm
Location: Stockbridge

Re: Graphite grey 1989 480 Turbo

Post by MisterH » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:50 pm

Arctic wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:31 pm
MisterH wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:24 pm
also a quick question:
I don't suppose your car retains it's original pre-1994 licence plate?
Nope, I've yellow plate... for now, because the car wil soon have a "carte grise collection" (the car's registration document), and it will allow to use this old kind of plate : https://www.rebelcar.fr/plaque-auto-noi ... alisee.htm
Ah ok, I am glad I haven't scared you off by accidentally hijacking the thread :lol:. How is the resto coming on? my car has certainly been getting quite a lot of use as of late

If your car has a yellow plate, does that mean it is on the pre-2009 system and can have plates like this:
https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/ne ... /180981831
Lovely picture of the car as well
Current Jobs to do (1/1/21):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
suspension creaking below 40mph

User avatar
Arctic
480 Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:15 pm
Location: Bourgogne, France

Re: Graphite grey 1989 480 Turbo

Post by Arctic » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:37 pm

MisterH wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:50 pm
How is the resto coming on?
Good : some sandblasting right now, and soon some acid to take off as rust as possible.
MisterH wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:50 pm
If your car has a yellow plate, does that mean it is on the pre-2009 system
Yes, this kind for now : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_r ... y1778a.jpg
But, new car's registration document = new plate numbers
To achieve anything in this game you must be prepare to dabble in the boundary of disaster.
— Stirling Moss

User avatar
MisterH
480 Veteran
Posts: 740
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm
Location: Stockbridge

Re: Graphite grey 1989 480 Turbo

Post by MisterH » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:32 pm

Arctic wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:37 pm
MisterH wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:50 pm
How is the resto coming on?
Good : some sandblasting right now, and soon some acid to take off as rust as possible.
MisterH wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:50 pm
If your car has a yellow plate, does that mean it is on the pre-2009 system
Yes, this kind for now : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_r ... y1778a.jpg
But, new car's registration document = new plate numbers
Ah going the whole hog, how bad is the rust? if its in the normal places I think there are repair panels

as for the new registration documents, does that mean the new plate number will be a post 2009 one?

Could you please explain how it works in France, as I remember reading its no longer necessary to do that, but I may be wrong, you are the expert :)
Current Jobs to do (1/1/21):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
suspension creaking below 40mph

User avatar
Arctic
480 Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:15 pm
Location: Bourgogne, France

Re: Graphite grey 1989 480 Turbo

Post by Arctic » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:08 pm

MisterH wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:32 pm
Ah going the whole hog, how bad is the rust? if its in the normal places I think there are repair panels
It's very bad only in the rear bumper with a rusty metal frame : I can sandblast the outside of the metal frame, but there is some inside parts needing acid.
MisterH wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:32 pm
as for the new registration documents, does that mean the new plate number will be a post 2009 one?
Could you please explain how it works in France, as I remember reading its no longer necessary to do that, but I may be wrong, you are the expert :)
Well, the only way to keep an old plate number is to keep a car (older than 2009) you already own and never move in another department. As I'm a new owner, the car will get a new plate number (It's very long to get registered as vintage car).
To achieve anything in this game you must be prepare to dabble in the boundary of disaster.
— Stirling Moss

User avatar
MisterH
480 Veteran
Posts: 740
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm
Location: Stockbridge

Re: Graphite grey 1989 480 Turbo

Post by MisterH » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:22 am

Arctic wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:08 pm
MisterH wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:32 pm
Ah going the whole hog, how bad is the rust? if its in the normal places I think there are repair panels
It's very bad only in the rear bumper with a rusty metal frame : I can sandblast the outside of the metal frame, but there is some inside parts needing acid.
MisterH wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:32 pm
as for the new registration documents, does that mean the new plate number will be a post 2009 one?
Could you please explain how it works in France, as I remember reading its no longer necessary to do that, but I may be wrong, you are the expert :)
Well, the only way to keep an old plate number is to keep a car (older than 2009) you already own and never move in another department. As I'm a new owner, the car will get a new plate number (It's very long to get registered as vintage car).
Ah that makes sense, a shame :cry: but it makes sense. In the UK, the plate generally stays with the car, meaning it can be traced back all the way to its first owner if you have the right documents. Is there a record of which car has which plates? A vital part of buying a classic in the UK is checking its history (crashes, MOT[CT], stolen etc.) to see if its a good quality car. It sounds like that's difficult in France, is the history lost each time a car is sold?
Current Jobs to do (1/1/21):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
suspension creaking below 40mph

User avatar
Arctic
480 Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:15 pm
Location: Bourgogne, France

Re: Graphite grey 1989 480 Turbo

Post by Arctic » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:20 am

MisterH wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:22 am
is the history lost each time a car is sold?
There is only the "certificat de situation administrative" (administrative status certificate). It is a certificate of no pledge against the vehicle, of no opposition about the vehicle registration document (e.g.if stolen), and if the car is officially registered as crashed and not roadworthy.

That's why French cars sold with all the documents, maintenance books, etc are the most sought-after.
To achieve anything in this game you must be prepare to dabble in the boundary of disaster.
— Stirling Moss

Post Reply