Possibly the worse kept secret....

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Norm57
Can tell where the 480 was built

Re: Possibly the worse kept secret....

Post by Norm57 » Fri May 21, 2021 6:31 pm

While on the soundproofing subject what do you use? I have been looking at some stuff called Silent Coat sound deadening mat. It’s £45 for a box that will cover 20sq ft.Has anyone used this product? Looks pretty good and reasonably priced,can be used under the bonnet as well.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Fri May 21, 2021 6:37 pm

So, from the very top then. The radio is very simple to pull out. It doesn't require the dash out to swap, but does if you want to run a CD changer cable. OK, maybe I could have threaded it through, removing the glovebox for a bit more access, but hey, I've other jobs to do now!

CD changer sniped from eBay - Unfortunately I forgot to cancel the snipe on the second one, but hey - Backup is good right?

So, dashboard out, and clocks taken inside to do after dark (make efficient use of my time you see!)

Then it was interior out - I've got it down to a fine art now, and I reckon i can gut the entire interior in less than hour without breaking a sweat.

Sagging headlining also removed and taken inside for "evening work" (and also because it's a pain to work around in the car!)

Next up. Sound deadening. I'm a big fan of silent coat - Other brands are available. Generally speaking, you don't have to cover the entire panel with sound deadening. A door, for example, will have a marked improvement with a single sheet applied. More IS better, but the returns are diminishing and the costs are not!

The general rule is lightly tap a panel; If it sounds tinny, bang some soundproofing on it.

I ended up doing front doors, rear quarters, floor and then some of the interior plastics, which were possibly the most surprising. The car has a much more solid feel to it.

Can't really embed video, but heres a link to an undeadened roof

and one to a deadened roof.

:shock:

Testing the radio, two things became VERY apparent. The first was the amount of Bass response I now had; the second was that the rear speakers were absolutely shot!

So, one pair of new rear speakers later, and I found that they were easily distorting. Small speakers aren't good at dealing with bass, particularly when the cupped of design of the rear speakers mounts limits the amount of air available to them, so I decided to cap the amount of bass going to them. There's several ways you can do this, from expensive Digital signal processors to the downright cheap and dirty method I used, which is to add a capacitor inline on the positive side! I promise not to good all audiophile on you, but sound is split into 7 frequency bands.

So, we can use capacitors to stop certain frequencies from getting to the speakers using a handy chart or two.

I went for 33uf, meaning my rears should only get from 1200hz and above. They're no longer distorting and sound much nicer, so something is working!

Out of the Rabbit hole? Not even close yet!

:rofl:

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sat May 29, 2021 9:26 pm

So with the sound much improved it was time to locate the changer. As I've previously mentioned, Henry has the rare boot liner, so the usual CD changer spot (bolted to the floor or side plastics) wasn't an option.

Rear cubbys? Too small
Under seats? Not very convienient for disc changing, plus potential kick hazard.

So instead, I went for the rear armrest!

which involved hacking the bottom out of the arm rest

and making some custom brackets to hold the changer, which turned out to be incredibly fiddly to fasten back together. So imagine my joy when once it was finally back together, that I discovered that the arm rest lid wouldn't close....

Flipping the changer round solved that problem as the slide for the cover sat away from the hinge!

The only part left to do is to make an infill to surround the changer and stop stuff falling down into the void!

Dashboard was finally fitted with replacement speedo face

although the keen amongst you will spot its the later type font, which didn't match the rev counter, so that got swapped too!

So, time for some controversy.

Seat belts.

Henry's were already doing that classic 480 thing where the rear belts change colour where they've been constantly exposed to UV. You'll notice it on the rears as they move less.

So, I decided to go all out, and get these.

I know it'll upset some people, but hey, you all had your chance to buy him and keep him how you wanted - No one did, so he's going how I want him!

The colour is hard to capture

But I think it looks quite nice in there now.

If it ever stops raining, I'll be able to give him a clean and polish and take some decent pictures!

Other stuff that was found down the rabbit hole and added to the job book were to add the discovery washer jets, for extra screen wash (and because, surprise suprise, the orginals had broken)

One added bonus of using these jets is that they clamp down the plastic trim, thus (hopefully) preventing high speed rattle!

As well as add my best spare set of indicator/DRL's.

Original lenses, polished up using Brasso, then the insides painted with some chrome effect spray

You never know, this year I may actually get a chance to drive him.....

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Sun May 30, 2021 9:46 am

You need some early seats with the Blue Piping in there, those seatbelts are really nice. Is it just me or are the 480 front belts always twisted no matter what I do?

Looking nice Jeff, especially love the shot of your 480 infested drive :hopping:
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sun May 30, 2021 4:20 pm

The twist on the front belt is very deliberate. If you put it in so it sits straight, it causes a twist when you put it on!

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Mon May 31, 2021 9:10 am

jifflemon wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 4:20 pm
The twist on the front belt is very deliberate. If you put it in so it sits straight, it causes a twist when you put it on!
which is what it does at the moment it would seem...
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:50 am

Henry now has MOT.

Would have been a first time pass...... If I'd have remembered to fit the pair of new horns that have been on the stairs for 9 months that I kept tripping over most mornings.... :nuts:

It also failed on a rear drop link. Even the tester was a bit shocked "you replaced them last year....". In fact I came here, read my thread and yup, they were replaced 2019, and have covered a massive 30 miles.....

Whilst the joint was ok, the rubber was a little passed it's best....

:eek: :shock:

Obviously, take your car clean to the test centre.....

Everyone removes their rear wiper to polish the tailgate glass right?

Its such a brain twisting colour.... You'd be forgiven for thinking it was blue....

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:43 pm

stunning work as usual

ref the perished boots on the ARB, I had similar a few years back, just assumed that NOS doesn't like sitting on a shelf :-(
I think I got some replacement rubbers provided FoC as were only a few months old!

then the drive shaft gaiter parted after about 12 months :-( and I'd thought lucky to get a pair of NOS , much more work and messier than an ARB :eek:
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:01 am

Alan 480 wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:43 pm
stunning work as usual

ref the perished boots on the ARB, I had similar a few years back, just assumed that NOS doesn't like sitting on a shelf :-(
I think I got some replacement rubbers provided FoC as were only a few months old!

then the drive shaft gaiter parted after about 12 months :-( and I'd thought lucky to get a pair of NOS , much more work and messier than an ARB :eek:
Having had similar experiences in the past, much as I like finding and grabbing NOS stuff when it comes up, I try to avoid anything with rubber parts as it does seem it just perishes over time.

And yes, Henry's looking good Jeff - and having seen them for real I do like those seatbelts!!

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:30 am

This is annoying me....

Going to have to level off those headlamp pods...

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:14 am

I think that having one out of sync "above the line" is more annoying than "below the line" of the bonnet :angry:
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:15 am

I must take some new photos of Pud and update her thread on here, but this reminded me...

You'll recall I posted some time back that I'd spent ages getting the headlight pods and bonnet aligned? Well, Jeff and I swapped the bonnet over with that from 312 since it was actually in much better shape than Pud's (a rarity for poor old 312 to have anything in better shape than another 480 :lol: ). But, of course, everything went out of alignment again. Then my repaired headlamp cover broke again so I painted and fitted a replacement - making the alignment even worse.

So guess what I spent a happy hour or so doing yesterday? Yep, and it all looks properly set again - which makes a stupidly huge difference!

And doubtless, when I strip the front down to replace the front bumper it'll all go wonky again... :roll:

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!