Possibly the worse kept secret....

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Possibly the worse kept secret....

Post by jifflemon » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:48 pm

Of course, I blame you lot for this.

My lovely other half was approaching a significant birthday and the forum was ablaze with 480's owners getting more 480's. (you know who you are!)

So, what could more appealing than her having her own 480?

I scoured the land and found what I considered, to be about the the best 480 in terms of money/condition/spec.

Shall let the pictures do the talking....

Its about a 90% car; There's some parking dinks and scratches around the body, but nothing too serious. Dashboard needs replacing (but have a spare) and the headlining is starting to droop.There's a bulb or two out and surprise, surprise, the seatbelt popper-outer is broke. The chunk out of the front lip has been stuck back in and the headlamp leveled out. Not perfect, but hey, find me a manual turbo that is....

What you also can't see, is the absolute wedge of bills that came with the car; They genuinely made me weep! :shock: the car has been stunningly looked after.

So, its all win win win eh?

:(

The other half is not as impressed.

To be fair, her point was that she much prefers to be a passenger, and that if I'd have spent the money I spent on this car, on MY car, we'd have a freshly painted perfect example.

So, for now, I'm tinkering with it, fixing the little things and trying to put off the inevitable.

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Re: Possibly the worse kept secret....

Post by dcwalker » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:16 pm

Jeff - so sorry to read this tragic tale...

It's so easy to get carried away and then discover you were way off the mark - been there done that with a C30 a few years ago to be told that she was perfectly happy driving the V40 T4 and assumed this was replacing the 480 of the time (it wasn't).

So I feel for you - our other halves just don't get it... :wall:

Lovely looking car though😊 - enjoy it while you can!

And, as you know, I am back to one 480 again (although... :) )

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:26 pm

Great looking car indeed. Maybe now swap the woman? :hopping:
after over 10 years parted with the 1995 Volvo 480 ES 2.0

Knows where Volvo is from

Post by 100 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:47 pm

Great colour!

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:24 am

had a spare hour at work, so started going through the service records.

The Online MOT service didn't start till 2007, but thankfully I've got old paper style ones to rely on...

So far, its looking like this:

Scary when you see it on paper eh?

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:20 am

oh and there's this:

arthuy
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by arthuy » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:13 pm

Never seen an undertray . great looking car.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:45 pm

Just a little update on this one; Having still not sold it (or, if the truth be known, advertised it for sale), our very own James asked if he could borrow it for the Scotland run; Now this ticked several boxes for me.
Firstly, it'd mean the car actually got some use - I'm not a fan of cars sitting around doing nothing. Stuff needs to move if it's to remain trouble free.
Secondly, what could be better than having a car appraised by a real 480 expert?

So.... the trip was uneventful (in so far as the car didn't come back to me on a transporter) but my oh my, what a list! That's NOT in any way, a criticism; in fact I think its a bloody good idea to have someone else use your car for a while, as it finds the faults you weren't aware of (or were but had "gotten used to"!)

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:48 pm

So, we'll start with fixed bits of "the list"
jamescarruthers wrote:1) Tracking
Wheel balance (around 75mph large wobble)
Possible wear in steering rack or track rod ends (assess after above work carried out)
James actually fixed this before returning it - tracking and balancing fixed it all.
jamescarruthers wrote:2) Headlamps dim (voltage drop on gauge quite large between day and night driving with lights on)
As you may have seen from my recent how to, there was indeed a huge volt drop!
jamescarruthers wrote:3) Aux Gauge:
. surround cracked
. light bleeding through Oil Pressure gauge
Good second hand sourced and replaced; Although I am trying to find out if they could be reprinted, as second hand ones will dry up soon.
jamescarruthers wrote:4) Driver's seatbelt arm missing
Had removed previously and hadn't got around to putting it back on.....
jamescarruthers wrote:5) One DRL intermittent operation
(suggest new DRL holders from Skandix)
Cleaned up the holders, fitted new seals and some LED drl's for good measure
jamescarruthers wrote:6) One rear red (not brake) intermittent operation
New bulbs throughout, with a cleanup of the holders for good measure
jamescarruthers wrote:7) R/H front fog light:
. does not illuminate
‎ . lens cracked
New bulb, and the lenses (being the later unobtainium type) covered with protection film;
jamescarruthers wrote:8 ) Rear wiper parks in wrong position
(suggest moving arm of disassembly, clean, reassembly to restore park)
Fixed itself with some use!
jamescarruthers wrote:9) Speedometer:
. face peeling; restricting needle movement
.. (suggest new face or cutting peeling plastic off)
. odometer and trip no longer count (new cogs available from Joep)
Replaced the cog and trimmed back the plastic; will see how it looks in the car before deciding whether to source a new face.
jamescarruthers wrote:10) Pedal rubbers worn
New pedal rubbers ordered and fitted
jamescarruthers wrote:11) Clutch pedal creaking
(suggest remove bolt on pedal-to-cable clip, grease bolt, reassemble)
Another one fixed by James before he brought it home
jamescarruthers wrote:12) Boot hatch gas struts weak
Replaced!
jamescarruthers wrote:13) Electric aerial mast broken (motor sounds like it works)
Replaced!

Dgrimaud
480 Newbie

Post by Dgrimaud » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:38 am

jifflemon wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:48 pm
So, we'll start with fixed bits of "the list"
jamescarruthers wrote:7) R/H front fog light:
. does not illuminate
‎ . lens cracked
New bulb, and the lenses (being the later unobtainium type) covered with protection film;
Hello,
Can you tell us more about the protection film you installed ?
Nice turbo ! :D

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:59 am

Dgrimaud wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:38 am
Hello,
Can you tell us more about the protection film you installed ?
Nice turbo ! :D
thanks! I used this stuff. Am actually ordering more to use on my other turbo's foglamps as a protection method.

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:53 am

And yellow lights are for absolute winners!
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:59 pm

So, New number plates were an idea.... Look carefully, as one set below is illegal! :shock:

Can you tell which set is, and more importantly, why?

cranna21
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by cranna21 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:19 am

jifflemon wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:59 pm
So, New number plates were an idea.... Look carefully, as one set below is illegal! :shock:

Technically would they not both be? as no postcode of origin... unsure! :lol:
'91 480 ES 2.0l 16v 'Williams' Conversion - 212bhp/230nm
'90 940 GL 2.0l Estate
'08 XC90 D5 SE Premium

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:29 am

Exactly that - The right hand side ones are the original ones from 1994.

The ones on the left are copies - "show plates". Whilst Identical to the originals, the dealership is no longer around (and definitely wouldn't answer an 081 689 2020 number!)

UK law now says that the original suppliers name must be displayed on the plate.

Just goes to show how silly the law can be....

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:30 am

jifflemon wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:59 pm
At the risk of putting everyone to sleep :bored:

Technically, in 2019, it is ‘illegal’ for a registered plate maker to use the older 57mm wide Charles Wright font. It would be ‘illegal’ to have 57mm characters on a plate which displayed BSAU145d. BSAU145d are the post-2001 regulations that dictate 50mm wide characters (excluding #1 obvs) and includes all other requirements such as displaying the manufacturers postcode etc. BSAU145d should be displayed bottom right.

In theory, the law states BSAU145d is retrospective all the way up to the end of the “black & silver era” (1974) for the manufacture of new plates only.

In 2001 we got BSAU145d and The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001.

HOWEVER, when our cars were new and rolled out the showroom, it was only BSAU145’a’ in force and the Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001 didn't exist.

If the plate displayed BSAU145a, and mounted on a pre-2001 car, then there is no way of enforcing ‘the crime’ because it conforms to everything it would of when new, including 57mm wide characters. It would be for the officer to prove you manufactured the plates recently and that they aren’t the originals. Who on earth is going to do that?

So, the argument becomes “are they the original plates from new, or are the repro’s”?

To a police officer on a roadside check, if your car is pre 2001 and has BSAU145a plates conforming precisely to pre-2001 regulations, then there is nothing they can do.

I wrote a letter to the DfT asking for 57mm wide Charles Wright font recognition for modern classics 1974-2000. Basically they told me to get lost and it’s not worth changing the law for such an insignificant matter. :wall:

To me it’s one of the most import factors in classic car appearance and the modern 50mm Charles Wright font stands out like a saw thumb on any 80’s car.

The difficulty is finding someone who understands and is willing to make them!

The Tamplins plates look amazing by the way, top work!
Jay-Kay-Em
-------------------------------------
Click here for My 480 Turbo Diary
Click here for My Cars

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:25 am

These are show plates made up for Jeff's lovely Henry car. The standards stuff that Jay-Kay-Em posted is quite interesting and I can confirm that they are marked with BS AU 145a.‎

Here is a picture of them before being rolled on to plastic:‎
Imageimage upload

Should anyone wish to have their original plates remanufactured to include the dealer logos then I‎ can highly recommend‎ this company in Norwich who worked from hi-res pictures of the originals. All in they were about £45.

P & M Radiators‎
Unit 5
Marsham Business Park
Old Norwich Road
Marsham
Norwich
Norfolk
NR10 5PR
http://www.pandmradiators.co.uk/‎
01263 734205‎

‎A friend from another forum told me to ask for Paul but actually all work was done by a lady Diane who is a graphic designer.

Just to clarify, they will need your original plates with the dealer logos on. They do not have a database of old plates to work from. ‎

For less money and/or if you don't have original plates with logos to copy but would still like to have the older font on fresh new plates‎, I can also recommend www.platesforcars.co.uk who have the older wide Charles Wright font in various forms "UK OLD LEGAL" 1, 2, 3, etc., which our cars should have. 

There are also some cars of our era who have the slightly curvier Serck number plate font which is available from www.a1showplates.com names as the font "EURO STYLE'‎

Both of these websites have an online design creator and the plates will be delivered quickly, without requiring documents as they are "show plates". Of course I have a lovely set of show plates on my car also.‎‎
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:40 am

Jay-Kay-Em wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:30 am

At the risk of putting everyone to sleep :bored:

Technically, in 2019, it is ‘illegal’ for a registered plate maker to use the older 57mm wide Charles Wright font. It would be ‘illegal’ to have 57mm characters on a plate which displayed BSAU145d. BSAU145d are the post-2001 regulations that dictate 50mm wide characters (excluding #1 obvs) and includes all other requirements such as displaying the manufacturers postcode etc. BSAU145d should be displayed bottom right.

In theory, the law states BSAU145d is retrospective all the way up to the end of the “black & silver era” (1974) for the manufacture of new plates only.

In 2001 we got BSAU145d and The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001.

HOWEVER, when our cars were new and rolled out the showroom, it was only BSAU145’a’ in force and the Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001 didn't exist.

If the plate displayed BSAU145a, and mounted on a pre-2001 car, then there is no way of enforcing ‘the crime’ because it conforms to everything it would of when new, including 57mm wide characters. It would be for the officer to prove you manufactured the plates recently and that they aren’t the originals. Who on earth is going to do that?

So, the argument becomes “are they the original plates from new, or are the repro’s”?

To a police officer on a roadside check, if your car is pre 2001 and has BSAU145a plates conforming precisely to pre-2001 regulations, then there is nothing they can do.

I wrote a letter to the DfT asking for 57mm wide Charles Wright font recognition for modern classics 1974-2000. Basically they told me to get lost and it’s not worth changing the law for such an insignificant matter. :wall:

To me it’s one of the most import factors in classic car appearance and the modern 50mm Charles Wright font stands out like a saw thumb on any 80’s car.

The difficulty is finding someone who understands and is willing to make them!

The Tamplins plates look amazing by the way, top work!
And THIS is why I love this place! Absolutely spot on information.

Huge thanks to James (and to the fabulous Diane!) for sorting it all out.

James, may actually be worth sending JayKays post over to P&M - Useful information for when the Internet keyboard warriors start (as they usually do, then places stop providing great services because it's just not worth the hassle!)

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:43 am

you guys have WAAAY too much time on your hands :wink:

I spent ages trying to spot the difference between the two sets and couldn't see any difference . . . . . .

which is probably what you were aiming for, me I was wanting to make sure that they are legible and not too shabby, so local motor factors are used

I doubt you'd get stopped or fail an MoT unless you used italic or some other fancy script . . . . . .
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:46 pm

Virtually no UK law is ever retrospective - it isn't "just". That is why whenever regulations change on anything regulated you don't have to update what you already have.

So if you have the original plates they remain legal. If you have new plates made for whatever age, they must meet latest regulations. But, as has been said, I cannot see it ever being deemed worthwhile trying to establish when your plates were made - provided on their face they comply with the regulations relevant to the date of original registration.

They look good anyway!

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!