1990 Turbo Auto - VOL 480T

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Re: 1990 Turbo Auto

Post by edie_fox » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:38 pm

Half an update:

The pressure switch on the ABS pump did test faulty. A new one was ordered by myself (£180 for a tiny part :eek: haha). Thanks James for the link. They have received that today.....awaiting feedback on whether or not that has helped. :?

A Volvo battery was found for the C30 so I was only off the road for a day. After trying Stoneacre in Grimsby and Lincoln, they could only get me one on Monday. I tried John Darke in Louth, they had one on stock (which leads me to wonder if they might have shelves of dusty 80s/90s goods! I did enquire and they said they do have some older parts still sat there so the next time I go I will ask if they can just bring up a list of what they have in stock by VIN or reg and see if they have anything exciting. You never know!). But, great service, great price and being back on the road is priceless where I live!

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:14 pm

He is home! :hopping:

I, however, have 0.49p left in my bank at present after this little six month holiday he's just taken.

So, the pressure switch was the ABS issue, I'm told. It's had two new rear callipers and all brakes off and cleaned/checked. Bit of a service: New fuel filter, oil filter and oil change, air filter - all Volvo. New Bosch battery. New MOT, passed. New/old pass side seat release cable that was broken. I think that's all. After all that time and messing about. The labour costs were the bulk of the ££££. And....it STILL has that whirring noise. Not sure if I've shared it before. It's intermittent and is usually apparent after the first leg of use and when you restart to go again. Sort of achey whirring noise. https://youtu.be/rJSbsZsTsC0

Fuel pump will be on the list for next round of works. Early next year will be the suspension replacement. It felt very tired and aged driving it today. I'm hoping that refreshing all of those parts will help.

Being outside all of that time wasn't great. The rear lights are nearly white. They were never that bad even before I did them in the summer! Still, an easy fix for warmer days. It is in better condition than I was expecting, to look at. It's booked in for a full mobile valet in a few weeks. It needs it! I find the detailers/valet around here are at one end of the spectrum or the other; cheap and not much in the way of reviews or crazy expensive and only deal with the protection/high-end enhancement side of newer cars.

Anyway, it was nice to be out in him on a dry, sunny day, even if it did feel like he'd had enough, wanted a Horlicks and tucking in!

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:31 pm

edie_fox wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:14 pm
He is home! :hopping:

I, however, have 0.49p left in my bank at present after this little six month holiday he's just taken.

So, the pressure switch was the ABS issue, I'm told. It's had two new rear callipers and all brakes off and cleaned/checked. Bit of a service: New fuel filter, oil filter and oil change, air filter - all Volvo. New Bosch battery. New MOT, passed. New/old pass side seat release cable that was broken. I think that's all. After all that time and messing about. The labour costs were the bulk of the ££££. And....it STILL has that whirring noise. Not sure if I've shared it before. It's intermittent and is usually apparent after the first leg of use and when you restart to go again. Sort of achey whirring noise. https://youtu.be/rJSbsZsTsC0

Fuel pump will be on the list for next round of works. Early next year will be the suspension replacement. It felt very tired and aged driving it today. I'm hoping that refreshing all of those parts will help.

Being outside all of that time wasn't great. The rear lights are nearly white. They were never that bad even before I did them in the summer! Still, an easy fix for warmer days. It is in better condition than I was expecting, to look at. It's booked in for a full mobile valet in a few weeks. It needs it! I find the detailers/valet around here are at one end of the spectrum or the other; cheap and not much in the way of reviews or crazy expensive and only deal with the protection/high-end enhancement side of newer cars.

Anyway, it was nice to be out in him on a dry, sunny day, even if it did feel like he'd had enough, wanted a Horlicks and tucking in!
Glad to hear you have him home at last - yes, tuck him up in bed with a Horlicks; all 480s need some pampering now and then ;)

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:45 pm

Glad you have him back.

Is that noise from the fuel pump only there when it is very low on fuel? I've had quite vocal ones in the pastwith pumps on nearly dry tanks. The fuel actually cools it so probably dont like being near empty all the time
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:48 pm

Excellent news with the ABS... but sorry about the bank balance. Least it matches mine! :)

As James says, low fuel can make a pump louder as the tank becomes an echo chamber.

I think the 480 pump (old and new tank types) both have a gauze sock. Different car, but the tank gauze of another headache of mine was terrible...

This can make a pump moan and groan.

Interestingly its always the low mileage cars that give these problems. Fuel sits about, they don't have the fuel throughput and often a victim of 'varnishy' fuel.

When the garage takes the pump out, be careful of the supply/return plastic take-offs on the pump housing! I speak from experience :cryhard:

That turbo burble on your video is motivation to continue! Reminds me of being 19 again, RS Turbos, Uno Turbos, 5 Turbos... a misspent youth :)
Jay-Kay-Em
-------------------------------------
Click here for My 480 Turbo Diary
Click here for My Cars

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:24 am

jamescarruthers wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:45 pm
Glad you have him back.

Is that noise from the fuel pump only there when it is very low on fuel? I've had quite vocal ones in the pastwith pumps on nearly dry tanks. The fuel actually cools it so probably dont like being near empty all the time
It started in a very wet day/flooding when I went to see the C30 in Bradford in January. The fuel is never low I wouldn’t say. I often bring fuel to it save having to go in the direction of Shell if I’m not going that way! It may have been while it was at garages.... but that was after it started.

I always try to use VPower unless it’s unavailable.

It happens on cold days/hot days/wet days/dry days!

Who knows if it even is the fuel filter... ? Haha, knowing my luck it’ll be ‘the wrong air freshener’! I am going to enquire about a stainless exhaust so they might chip in thoughts too if it does it there....

Thanks for the Saab parts link. Saved his life!
Last edited by edie_fox on Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:33 am

Jay-Kay-Em wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:48 pm
Excellent news with the ABS... but sorry about the bank balance. Least it matches mine! :)

As James says, low fuel can make a pump louder as the tank becomes an echo chamber.

I think the 480 pump (old and new tank types) both have a gauze sock. Different car, but the tank gauze of another headache of mine was terrible...

This can make a pump moan and groan.

Interestingly its always the low mileage cars that give these problems. Fuel sits about, they don't have the fuel throughput and often a victim of 'varnishy' fuel.

When the garage takes the pump out, be careful of the supply/return plastic take-offs on the pump housing! I speak from experience :cryhard:

That turbo burble on your video is motivation to continue! Reminds me of being 19 again, RS Turbos, Uno Turbos, 5 Turbos... a misspent youth :)
Hmmm, that’s another possible issue then! Do they come with the pump or sourced separately? Mine just went over 42k yesterday. But.... it’s also been sat from about 2000-2017 so I’d guess that never helped at all. I wouldn’t think the tank/pump was considered during recommissioning.

I did get the correct part number from my VIN at Volvo yesterday so that’s a good start. Not having to wait until it comes out.

I’ll absolutely pass on your ‘tell the garage to be careful of xyz’ advice but more often than not, they don’t listen to me because I’m small and female and what would I know? It’s generally ‘shush, little lady. I shall rush in as I wish because I know best’.... 2 weeks later they’ll call with “hi, erm..... can you get hold of this part/green book and do you know if this should look like this?”

Glad you got some motivation! Your car is going to be insanely correct and clean! I can’t even read your updates because it just shows me how many thousands of other jobs really need doing to make it better! :lol:

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:24 am

The fuel pump has a filter on the bottom like a litte bag:
https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts/e ... p/1055830/

The fuel pump broke on my E-reg car and I found replacement difficult with the Volvo number as the cross references were wrong, but I think you will be more lucky with a later car. If in doubt, when you roriginal pump is removed, order by the Bosch number on the side from a Bosch supplier. I used MPD in Cambridge.

When I got the new pump, it cam with a new bag type filter to put on the inlet at the bottom so you shouldn't need to buy the one above. It should be readily available though and no need to order specialy from Skandix.

Jay is absolutely right about being super careful when undoing the unions on the fuel line. You hear a lot about them plastic breaking so I would be really really sure that you need a new one before maybe disabling your car. I believe Jay broke his, so did Jeff and so did I! In my experience the pump works until it doesn't! But if it is making awful noises then there isn't really much choice in replacing it as it will let you down one day! Could the noises be that the vent holes are blocked so that the pressure can't balance easily and is causing it to sing like this? Does the noise stop when you take the fuel cap off?
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:42 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:24 am
Could the noises be that the vent holes are blocked so that the pressure can't balance easily and is causing it to sing like this? Does the noise stop when you take the fuel cap off?
Thanks James. What vent is this we're talking about? (sorry!) I'll take out the cap the next time it does it and see if it alters. Hopefully taking it out for a good run on Friday so that should set it off for when I get home I'd say. It does seem very creaky at the minute. Very aged! I want to try and use it a bit more now.

Exhaust will be done in January. Popped to see them today and they were great. Really interested in the car and friendly. Good price too. So that will hopefully eliminate it being anything exhaust related. I played them the video so they could hear it too so they'll be aware of that.

It looks like it's just going to be a case of just going for it isn't it, if it continues. That plastic breaking thing then....what did everybody do? I know there are plastic welders out there if you still have the two parts you've broken....did you all superglue? :)

Got out today in the sun and gave the lights a good scrub and polish. Feels so much better!! Mad how fast they deteriorated being outside.
https://ibb.co/WsxhGPy

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:57 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:24 am

Jay is absolutely right about being super careful when undoing the unions on the fuel line. You hear a lot about them plastic breaking so I would be really really sure that you need a new one before maybe disabling your car. I believe Jay broke his, so did Jeff and so did I! In my experience the pump works until it doesn't! But if it is making awful noises then there isn't really much choice in replacing it as it will let you down one day! Could the noises be that the vent holes are blocked so that the pressure can't balance easily and is causing it to sing like this? Does the noise stop when you take the fuel cap off?
if pump is running fine then 'leave alone' ?

I also broke the fitting :-(
good job less than half a tank of fuel and another 480 (or two) in scrap yard two miles away, there and back driving very canny....

I seemed to thnk that you can unscrew teh whole pump arrangement with the flexible pipes still attached?

if in doubt use a VERY sharp craft knife and slice the flexibles as close to the pump as possible, then remove, if there is a little spare flex?
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:24 pm

Oooooh, check out the 480 featuring in the new Reg Transfers magazine. :hopping:

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:32 pm

edie_fox wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:24 pm
Oooooh, check out the 480 featuring in the new Reg Transfers magazine. :hopping:

Well done - fame at last! ;) :lol:

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:42 pm

Brace yourselves for the influx of 480 buyers.

This magazine is vastly distributed, I’m sure! :rofl:

At least we can file it under ‘positive articles’. Seeing as it was about number plates! We got away with sneaking a 480 into the pages. ;)

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:55 pm

Well done Edie ! Good promotion even if the article wasn't about the 480.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:01 pm

I've had a nice few dry sunny days out in him these past few weeks. The noise hasn't really returned yet. I wonder if it's more of a heat thing...unless the new fuel filter helped? The first time it did it was a flooded January day so, I don't think heat is a factor but it may be.

Anyway; I didn't want to start an entire thread to ask this so thought I best pop it here.

I'm having a stainless exhaust fitted in January. I've never bothered with anything like this before so lacking knowledge there. Will they just automatically put a chrome tip on it or do I need to request this/a specific kind? I have said I want it to sound about the same as it does now, I don't mind about 2% swankier but not ridiculous! Does the shape of the tip effect the sound?
Also, what happens with the cat? Do they 'build' a whole new one or ....what?

This is its current sound: I've taken a few videos to compare to after it's done.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nDy-OX ... sp=sharing

I did go for a quote at the only place I could initially find (Powerflow) then when I found this place, the guy said he used to work there and they use very heavy material and other things to that effect (can't remember now) so hopefully this is a better option. (Tube Engineering, Newtoft, Lincs).
Also....should I ask them to save the current exhaust for me? Would it be of use to anyone as I'm happy to give it away of course...or do they damage it to take it off?

In other news, it's become awfully apparent that the 480 is covered in a blanket of fallout after being sat out/roadside for nearly 6 months. It also has a tonne of chemical 'burns' from bird poo. :cryhard: So I've just ordered a clay bar and watched a few tutorials (never used it before) so I really hope this helps. If not its going to cost me another 2-300 (as a cash job) to get it sorted. That's on top of the battery he let die. Infuriating.

....Anyone ever considered selling to the US market? At this rate I'll be living it come next summer!

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:34 pm

If you go to Powerflow, it'll almost certainly be 'cat back', meaning you keep your cat and they replace everything behind it. Anywhere else you'll have to ask but most places do cat back. Your car is early enough to be de-catted, as MoT regs are based on the year, although strictly speaking if the car came out the factory with a cat it's supposed to have one by law. They apparently don't bother checking - our pedantic garage man didn't bat an eyelid when Dec 1991 Lily went to him with a cat breaking up inside. They just emptied it and put the shell back on with the comment that she was only just old enough not to need it.

If they are asking what sort of sound you want, it'll be built for your car rather than off the shelf bits. You will undoubtedly be asked if you want to keep the cat - your choice between being definitely legal or getting better performance and still passing the MoT. They should give you a choice of smart tail pipes, so you can pick the shape you like best.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:53 pm

dragonflyjewels wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:34 pm
If you go to Powerflow, it'll almost certainly be 'cat back', meaning you keep your cat and they replace everything behind it. Anywhere else you'll have to ask but most places do cat back. Your car is early enough to be de-catted, as MoT regs are based on the year, although strictly speaking if the car came out the factory with a cat it's supposed to have one by law. They apparently don't bother checking - our pedantic garage man didn't bat an eyelid when Dec 1991 Lily went to him with a cat breaking up inside. They just emptied it and put the shell back on with the comment that she was only just old enough not to need it.

If they are asking what sort of sound you want, it'll be built for your car rather than off the shelf bits. You will undoubtedly be asked if you want to keep the cat - your choice between being definitely legal or getting better performance and still passing the MoT. They should give you a choice of smart tail pipes, so you can pick the shape you like best.
Thanks, Syvia. :D

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:41 pm

My 2p.....

Powerflow are simply a franchise. Universal boxes, pipes bent and welded to suit. Quality depends on the centre. Me? I'd avoid like the plague. I went with standard exhaust on my blue one, but welded a nice tip on. I'm done with bwarp bwarp exhausts. Fun for five minutes, earache after an hour on the motorway.

Cat? I'd bin it. The MOT man isn't going to care until you get to 1992 registered cars.

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:49 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:41 pm
My 2p.....

Powerflow are simply a franchise. Universal boxes, pipes bent and welded to suit. Quality depends on the centre. Me? I'd avoid like the plague. I went with standard exhaust on my blue one, but welded a nice tip on. I'm done with bwarp bwarp exhausts. Fun for five minutes, earache after an hour on the motorway.

Cat? I'd bin it. The MOT man isn't going to care until you get to 1992 registered cars.
Oh yeah, sorry, I probably didn't word that correctly; I'm not going to Powerflow. As you say, they are just a side hustle for Mr Tyre aren't they. It was the only one I could find in my area when I was first looking though. I asked around locally but nobody came back with anything, then eventually I found Tube as I was working on the same old RAF site they're based.

These others guys are way more 'involved' in their tube bending! :lol: And they loved seeing the car too. Always a nice sign that I've not got the "urgh, it's just a crappy old Volvo :bored: " response.

Cool, thanks for the advice on the cat too. I'll see what they say.

Matt Columbo
480 Newbie

Post by Matt Columbo » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:26 pm

I've heard really good things about Pptuning, they're based in Louth. They specialise in VW campers but if you check out their Instagram they do all sorts.

This isn't necessarily a recommendation though as I haven't used them myself, just might be worth checking them out.