1990 Turbo Auto - VOL 480T

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Re: 1990 Turbo Auto

Post by edie_fox » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:13 pm

I do fear speaking too soon but I've felt that the 480 has seemed slightly more reliable of late! I've had it out about once a week. I don't want to leave it sat, that's when the problems started last year so want to keep him moving. The only nightmare is the mud and wet with the Carcoon :cry: I still want a garage.... I'm sure it'd be a different story if I wasn't on the swamp out there and a had a driveway but the Carcoon is an absolute state. This then transfers to the car whether I like it or not.

The ABS light always comes on for a minute or so on first start (I think a lot of people have this don't they?) but always goes off and I don't feel any problems.

Anyway. Popped to see a man today who was recommended to me. He just works from a nice workshop at home. He was a mechanic in London/Hampshire, then he went on to be a cameraman for a long time and wanted to get back into cars. He deals with classics and old rally/racing cars for his son. He was great. Took about and hour going over what I'd got, checking it all fitted/was correct adding any other bits to the list I need. All without sucking air in through teeth or sighing or disinterest! He even gave and estimate! Which I nearly fell over myself about. After my last experience with 'labour only' I was quite prepared for this to be about the same.....no, about a 1/5 of that. So I'm very happy with him doing the work and glad to have found him. He listens to what you have to say (so many garages never listen to the facts/advice I pass on from you guys!).

So, by the end of January, hopefully I'll have some nice 'after' images to share.

Here are some befores. Front control arms a bit rusty but none of it too terrible.

https://ibb.co/album/YBch8K (sorry, this site hates me trying to upload more than one image!)

or video if you just love a good nose. :D

https://youtu.be/vOYgtCW4SmA

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:55 pm

edie_fox wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:13 pm
The ABS light always comes on for a minute or so on first start (I think a lot of people have this don't they?) but always goes off and I don't feel any problems.
Its been a while since i've had a 480 with your early ABS system (so please someone correct me if I'm wrong!) but I think the light stays on until you actually drive it and it reaches a certain speed (approx. 5mph) in order to be able to complete the self test of the system. Basically, amongst other things like pressure checks, it does a basic resistance test of the coils in the sensors first before you move' then it does a test of the car moving to test the actual expected output from the sensors.

P.S. Your car looks pretty nice underneath considering it hasn't had a refurbishment of parts.
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:04 pm

I think James is right about the ABS light.

On the later system it lights up and goes out in seconds if all is well. Then, when the car gets above about 20mph you hear a strange noise which is the ABS doing a further check. If if finds a problem light comes back on.

I seem to recall on the older system the ABS light stays on until that check at 20mph (or whatever speed) is done and all ok.

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:25 pm

Ah, I did wonder if this was the case.

I don’t remember it doing it before the ABS issue though?! Haha.

Thanks guys. Helps me feel an extra 2% better about the car than I did earlier!

It was technically under sealed this time last year but... to be honest, there are many bits I expected to be sprayed that aren’t? I’d like to get it done properly. The company I was going to use who do a good clean, dry and coat.... but, they coat EVERYTHING. I wasn’t sure about having all my new shock absorbers black goo’d out.

So still no closer to getting that done!

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:45 pm

Update.

He went in last week for all the new parts to be fitted and it really does feel different. I wasn't expecting to notice it really but there is definitely a change. Couldn't do much in a few miles in the driving rain yesterday but I'm taking it for a wheel alignment check and a good 60 or so miles to an appointment tomorrow when there is said to be sun so, that may give me a better idea.

In the end we added a few more things to the list and finished with a can of Bilt Hamber clear Dynax UC.

Along with the previous list, he also put on new front wheel bearings and 4 front subframe mounts.

He says the front drop links still make noise. He was thinking it was just the old ones; ack of grease/movement but says these make the same noise. He said it may settle as they get used but he'll try and remedy it when it goes back in if not.

He's going to do the rear wheel bearings in April when I renew the discs and pads.

Only other thing is a bolt for the NSF caliper holder (this is the only remaining original caliper too) as it's very worn and has had a bit of the bolt lip (?) sawn off at some point. Have asked Jeff if I can get something off the Celeb. The only other thing is, he said the tray under engine is very much holding on by a thread as the clip housings are very worn.

I haven't managed to get the exhaust done STILL! The place I was going to use are making Covid related items that are no doubt much more of a priority/bringer of much cash so I have had to put that on hold until April too. Although, I'm quite glad after learning more about them on here this week! I may also try PP Tuning in Louth which Matt mentioned on here. I"ll be able to go armed with a lot more awareness now!

I've put so much into these parts which is, of course, great but there is the door to be resprayed and a long list of smaller jobs. That's before anything under the bonnet decides to play up!

At present, I feel it's quite reliable (good job as I've been told the 'new' C30 using 10-12L of oil in a year/13k is a possible new engine). The man who just did all that work was such a nice guy. He explains everything, he doesn't moan or talk down to your 'boring 90s Volvo' and he's very affordable. I think I would have paid £2k for what I just had done at the breathing-in-through-teeth type garages. It's a shame you all live so far away!

.....I'm still fuming at the acid marks all over the car from being sat outside all summer at that other idiot's place. :angry: I've enquired about an enhancement detail.

Anyway, zen at present. :angel:

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:57 pm

Who needs food anyway, really?.....

So, he’s had some good jobs done earlier this year.

Next up is all round discs and pads and rear hubs that came after the man had done all the work. That’s in for April. Then he’ll go in for MOT on May 1st to maintain a warmer anniversary date!

Let’s hope all work undertaken has really helped make him a worthy little 480.

As mentioned in another thread, I have got rust spots appearing, mostly underside of drivers door. This needs sorting in the next year really.

I also just added up all my receipts from April 2019 to present (my ownership). I’ll just pop this photo here and walk away quietly. :shock:

Anyone in the market for a £12k 480? No? :rofl:

I’ve also got 2 nights near Hannah Hauxwell’s Low Birk Hatt farm booked (because I’m obsessed with her) for May (end of degree break, which at present is planned to be allowed. and I’m thinking of taking the 480 for the weekend. That’s about 3 hour drive from me. Be nice to get him out....and get home again without the need of a loading!

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:36 pm

Edie, that's horrendous !! You paid a lot of money for that car, it shouldn't have needed all that spent on it. :angry: I've fallen prey to the 'its a woman, she won't know' licence to print money in the past, but thank god not any more.

You got me thinking, so I did a tot up of what I've spent on my white turbo's mechanics since 2017 and it comes to £1671.19. I've always considered us lucky to have found our pedantic garage man - he may be a pain sometimes, but at least he is totally honest and of course it helps that he knows 480s.

I just hope your current repair man hasn't jumped on the same bandwagon.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:43 pm

Nice update and sunset photo. Entirely worthy and never in doubt.

Rust is inevitable for something made of steel, no matter how cherished. Just keep on top of it, no harm done.

Don't do the maths of it all, its counter-productive :rofl:
Jay-Kay-Em
-------------------------------------
Click here for My 480 Turbo Diary
Click here for My Cars

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:36 pm

Haha, yeah. I know I shouldn't. I was trying to sort all the paperwork out so it was in chronological order (Jeff'll like that!) and so that I had some idea of money spent. It was a bit over what I thought but it doesn't mean anything really. It's all done to try and preserve and manage up-keep. That was always the plan.

Yes, Sylvia. The worst was last year's garage who really did very little for the money. I think they tinkered for a couple of weeks. I did most of the leg work for them! Sourcing and ordering things to them. In terms of the sale price, yes, it was too expensive but I knew that anyway. I just wanted it and I doubt I could have knocked more than the £1000 off I did at that time. :lol: My other option (at the time) was one of Andrew Warrener's Celebs which I was very interested in and they were £1500 cheaper than this one but I do favour velour (perhaps a rare choice!) and I knew this one had had all the basics done (cambelt, radiator etc etc etc about £2000 spent). I was very much leaning towards Andrew's celeb but when I saw this I just leaned towards all the pros of it and went with this one.

It did have a fair amount of work done at the first place that tried to sell it after its initial 2016 auction (Carpenter's Autos) but, as we all know, they need much more than the basics. It had also been stood 16 years so there were always going to be things that cropped up when I started to use it regularly I guess.....and they did. Since it did have the extortionate bill it has been ok. It really is a car that likes to keep moving though and I'd give anything for it to be garaged.

Despite all of the jobs already done, I have been on the 'Visit to Jeff's' waiting list since late 2019 for many little niggly jobs that will really help cross the Is and dot the Ts.

This weekend it's having the new, proper, horns fitted. It was so embarrassing when I used my horn a few weeks ago! It was replaced by SCC as it was broken and permanently on draining the battery, I'm told. I don't even think you can hear it outside of the car!

Yes, Andy near me is so lovely and not at all a chancer. He's straight to the point, so easy to work with and beyond reasonable financially.

Hope to see you all at some point this year! I'm in the process of planning my degree show exhibition and writing a dissertation whilst working full-time at the county court and sometimes trying to fit in a chat with poor Fox (who is currently positive so we're stick in for a few more days yet) so I can't wait until it's all over in May!

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:10 am

dragonflyjewels wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:36 pm
Edie, that's horrendous !! You paid a lot of money for that car, it shouldn't have needed all that spent on it. :angry: I've fallen prey to the 'its a woman, she won't know' licence to print money in the past, but thank god not any more.

You got me thinking, so I did a tot up of what I've spent on my white turbo's mechanics since 2017 and it comes to £1671.19. I've always considered us lucky to have found our pedantic garage man - he may be a pain sometimes, but at least he is totally honest and of course it helps that he knows 480s.

I just hope your current repair man hasn't jumped on the same bandwagon.
It just occurred to me, Sylvia, I should say; a lot of that is me replacing things that didn’t necessarily need replacing too. Just things I wanted to get the best they could be, like the suspension etc. So it wasn’t all necessity, mostly preservation with a side order of hoarding spares!

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:46 am

o, the just-in-case and spares hoard syndrome ! Perhaps better not tot up what's lurking in my garage...... :rofl:
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:18 pm

Hope everyone is getting their spring 480 moves on :)

We took a trip to the 480est of driveways yesterday and my update here today is mostly going to consist of "and here's Jeff doing xyz a job" photos. :lol:

Got lots of little jobs done that have been on the list probably for as long as I've had the car!

So, the necessity was a quick drive to listen to all the rattles and feel if felt like it should from he who should very much know if there are any problems. Of course, it wouldn't be a 480 run without a photo opportunity....

First up, he hates the white main beam light, it needs to be blue. Out comes the dash, I'm sitting back like a 480 lady of leisure (I hate the faff of the dash, I'm more than happy haha). A swap of bulbs, dash back in, nothing. Try again; nothing. Try a new blue bulb;nothing. Dash back out again; try the old white bulb; fine. :lol: Some time later, he had to make do with the white! The oil warning light was also out so he replaced that. Replaced the bulb for the fogs/headlight knob/heated RW, hazard button light...ooooh, swanky, never been working. Then he put it all back in and the info centre went off. :rofl: Of course. So, out it came again, unscrew the back etc to have a quick solder and back in.....nothing. Out it came again (we're at about the 9th dash in/out at this point). So, Brinky sent a spare bulb for the info centre and Jeff soldered that one in. Success! All in, all glowing as it should. Job well done. I got pink anti-squeak/damper sponges for under the dash too. Very nice.

I bought a new radio late last year to swap over to see if it didn't play tapes (beyond) distorted like the orginal. So that was swapped over and yes, it's much better but not quite so I've bought a newly made head cleaner and some IPA alcohol in the hope it remedies any imperfections. We're really glad we used the 'back up' Pretty Woman soundtrack to try that out cos then it was in our head the rest of the day!!
Also fitted a digital clock I got a while back to give it a more techy feel ;) All needs a good clean now. The clock may end up coming back out as it doesn't light up (maybe in all the bulb confusion we put a dud one back in, likely!).

Next up; ashtray bulb and backlight for the auto box. After a day driving, when I get home and have to D and R back and forth, 5-point-turning on the drive I just forget so it's very nice to be able to check now! A lovely red letter shouts at me.
So much faff but he seems to thrive on the faffing about! And, in true Jeff style, he did flit between 5 jobs at once but they did all get completed! :lol:

The passenger door has always had a big creak when opening and closing. Apparently it was just hanging by a thread on one hinge.....:D It's fiiiine. All tightened up and back as it should be.

I've had some new wiper blades for a year or so and every time I've tried to fit them (bearing in mind, I didn't have it all of last summer and I hate the cold) I don't know what was going on but I could not get the old ones to budge. I've never had a problem before but feared I was doing something very wrong and just never got around to giving it another go. Anyway, get Jeff on it. I wasn't wrong, as you can see from the expression, they were rather stuck!
Perhaps in situ since 2000? Lovely new Bosch blades now gliding across the glass perfectly. :D I managed to fiddle the rear one off and replace it but.....does anyone else have a recommended rear blade? This was a Champion one off eBay and neither this one or the previous one cleared further than about 7 inches from the motor end.
Oh, we (Jeff) also changed the tailgate struts. Much nicer flow, less creaking. Lovely stuff.

Up next; did I get ripped off by a garage for the 74th time? I had a pair of horns I wanted fitting (duel tone loud fellows) as the seller had replaced the horn with a terrible weak single tone thing. Embarrassing to use even to shift a pheasant. I imagine the pheasant looking at me questionably, whipping out his iPhone, calling his friends over and taking photos, slowly making their way to other side of the road still chuckling amongst themselves....It was that kind of bad. I read out an old post (I think by James) about the location of the horn. He didn't want to be bothered to take the car in and put it up on the ramp. He had the entire front end off. Took him about 5 hours of his time I believe. he 'only' charged me 2. Oh, how nice. The horn sounds exactly the same. We think he's only fitted one and put it back in a supposedly more accessible place. Either way, the job asked for has not been done. :wall:
It's up there somewhere!

After many issues in 2019/early 2020 with electrical non-starts and the like, Jeff was most pleased with my current charge rate. :lol:

He's been waiting for what seems like eternity to get that thing off that 'lets' the car run on unleaded fuel. This made Jeff a happy man!
A nice tidy bay with no evil unleaded thingy!

What's another niggle that needs sorting? The courtesy light. I'm sure I had it working at some point. When I thought a bulb needed replacing and it didn't. So, off with that (much to the expense of his back...) and ta-dah...nope. A good clean and back in place.....Nope. Then, when I left, it came on! We'll just say it works when it's in the mood. Not the worst of failures is it? I think I can live with that.

My son loves Jeff. Jeff can do no wrong. Jeff likes Star Wars etc etc. Jeff has the best dog. "When can I go and live with Jeff?" is an FAQ. Jeff did not disappoint on this occasion either. Jeff brings your lunch via a robot on wheels from the local Co-op. Jeff's crown is firmly super-glued on.
And what a sneaky C30, pulling up just in time for the shot!

Thank you so much for you time and patience Mr Lemon! It is very much appreciated and the car feels a little bit more complete. :D

Oh, wait..... Turns out the rattle I just thought was standard 480 'just have to put up with it' stuff. Apparently, the door card clips hadn't been secured after I had the speakers replaced in mid-2019! Fantastic. It's like a new car!

Of course, we needed to check out how the ratlles were once we were all done......look at his happy 480 driving face. Nothing bad to report, perhaps rattle from the NSR suspension I'll get looked at when it goes back to the man who did it in a few weeks for new discs and pads. Apart from that, the car feels very together and it was a lovely uneventful drive both there and back. It doesn't feel like an older car at all once it's all warmed up and running on the motorway.
Last edited by edie_fox on Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:09 pm, edited 7 times in total.

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:24 pm

Lovely!

You really should have him on the cover of GQ magazine next
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:35 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:24 pm
Lovely!

You really should have him on the cover of GQ magazine next
:lol: He's also just spent the past 24 hours explaining how to use photos on here as I continuously had problems using all other sharing sites. So, expect photo heavy posts from here on out!

Ha, I'm not quite 'in' with GQ's photo editor just yet!

arthuy
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by arthuy » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:51 am

Looks like a great session.

With the blue beam bulb, I wasn't keen on the bright white effect either. I used a blue permanent marker just to give it a blue tint and dulled it down a fraction.

Norm57
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by Norm57 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:17 am

Good old Jeff a most helpful chap. I find he is very typical of forum members, a very friendly and helpful place. Good luck with your new mechanic a decent and reasonably priced one is hard to find. I struck lucky with Mark at RS autos, he served his time on renaults before setting up on his own. By the way any pics of pink sponge? Sounds just what I need. Norman.

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:01 am

arthuy wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:51 am
Looks like a great session.

With the blue beam bulb, I wasn't keen on the bright white effect either. I used a blue permanent marker just to give it a blue tint and dulled it down a fraction.
It was so nice to get lots of loose ends tied up. I'm a terrible procrastinator so it helps to have another more motivated person with the 480 skills.

Ah, that sounds a possibility. I think I'll wait until it need to come out again for any further dash headaches! haha.

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:07 am

Norm57 wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:17 am
Good old Jeff a most helpful chap. I find he is very typical of forum members, a very friendly and helpful place. Good luck with your new mechanic a decent and reasonably priced one is hard to find. I struck lucky with Mark at RS autos, he served his time on renaults before setting up on his own. By the way any pics of pink sponge? Sounds just what I need. Norman.
Yes we are very lucky to have lots of the people we have on here. :D This car wouldn't be what it is without the kindly shared knowledge and actual physical assistance!

It wasn't anything special. Although, Jeff may beg to differ! Just a pink bathroom sponge cut in half and stuffed in the gap above the unit to help dampen any rattle. I must say, it didn't really rattle much anyway but the door card being fixed in place is life-changing! :lol: I never even considered it would be that. I just thought it was the old rattle plastic of the door pocket.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:34 am

Norm57 wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:17 am
By the way any pics of pink sponge? Sounds just what I need. Norman.
Just like this Norm

I find it just helps stop rattles and squeeks.

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:48 am

Oh the amount of rattles and squeaks mine has, never considered bathroom sponge to be a solution, as I always thought they dried out easily, unless we are talking about different things...
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild