1990 Turbo Auto - VOL 480T

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Re: 1990 Turbo Auto

Post by jifflemon » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:18 am

They'll last a while given they never see sunlight.
They're also cheap enough that when you have the dash out for bulb changing, you can easily swap them over if they're dried out.

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:09 pm

I suspect the sponges that dry out are natural ones from the sea. Pink ones are man made and dont have the same problem.

Al is really upset now, he is soooooo jealous of lunch arriving by robot !! :rofl:
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:11 pm

dragonflyjewels wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:09 pm
Al is really upset now, he is soooooo jealous of lunch arriving by robot !! :rofl:
Yup! Robot deliveries entertain children big and small! :rofl:

Norm57
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by Norm57 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:18 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:34 am
Norm57 wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:17 am
By the way any pics of pink sponge? Sounds just what I need. Norman.
Just like this Norm

I find it just helps stop rattles and squeeks.
Thanks Jeff next time I take the dash apart will invest in some sponge!

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:34 pm

Sorry not sorry, as the youth say. :lol:

The warm weather made me do it. Ignore the state of it out there, due for work in May! I do love seeing them together sometimes.

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:04 pm

Just got 4 new tyres on the C30. Now looks like the wheels need refurbing. They look terrible, I never really noticed until today!

So off goes the 480 again. Back to Andy not far away.

New discs and pads all round, new caliper pin for a dodgy one, rear hubs and maybe a new regulator going in as the OS window decided to pack up last weekend. Could just be a fix but it was always slow and dodgy. Have included a spare for him to see which is the best option if he gets times to look at that. Again, more fourm 'How To's provided! :lol: And....fingers crossed all of James' emails and ATF change instructions will mean the ATF finally gets changed too!

Booked in for new exhaust on 9th of June, got a holiday day for that one, then in for (warmer) MOT on 12th June. If it doesn't pass I'll eat everyone's hats! :shock: Haha.

Hoping to take it on a weekend away in early May. yet to decide.

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Re: 1990 Turbo Auto - VOL 480T

Post by edie_fox » Sun May 30, 2021 8:54 pm

Helloooo!

I've spent all day today on the car. I bought a DA polisher a few months ago in the hope it would help with all the bird poo acid from being left out all last summer (I'll never let it go! :cryhard: It's contributed to the rust that's appeared in a few places for sure).

I've been up and down about it but Currys have got £30 off it at the minute so bought the Bissel spot clean too.

Now I have all the tools I could possibly ever need to keep them looking good.

I used the Meguiar's clay bar and their 3 step ultimate system; compound, polish and wax.

It has taken me all day (I had to wait a bit for it to cool down to do all the machine polishing) and I'm exhausted but it really has made a great difference and I'm glad I just bought everything myself as I'd have ended up paying £400-£500 to get the results I got.

It's REALLY hard to show the results with it being white but it's nice and glossy now. Lets see if I can add some pics of the day.....

New weapons:

Another little job done; re-whiting the info centre text/markers. The info centre has been playing up a bit this past few days despite all of the love it's had. It' doesn't go off, the display just has a bit of a digital breakdown displaying parts of numbers and part bars of fuel.
I used a new rubber on a pencil. Put the paint from a white felt paint pen on it, gave it a second to not be too much/runny and built up 2 or 3 coats using the flat of the rubber. Looks much better now.

This is the first time I've actually taken the spare out! I wanted to clean under it. Very pleasing to see only minimal rust in the boot. I sanded this off and put some Loctite Rust Remedy on it.

SO, this was all I got out of the seats, floor, mats and boot. Didn't even use 2/3 of the tank I don't think. Dried off super quickly today. The the only noticeably dirty area (from extraction) was the drivers bolster.

Then, of course, the lines of satisfaction. :D

Here's two pics of before:

I wish it was an actual colour, then you could really tell how much better it is!
Anyway, here's the afters:

Then...DISASTER!!! :scared: :scared: :scared:

I broke a nail!

All in all a good day. It did have all the brake discs and pads done. A new OS window regulator and (James will be pleased to know!) he finally did the ATF for me! I don't know if this is a good or bad thing or if it matters but I feel like it doesn't go up to top gear as soon as it used to. I can often not be in top gear for some time (driving slow on country roads to avoid deer on the way back from the cinema at night for example!) It goes up around 45mph.

He'll stay in the Carcoon til Wednesday 9th when he's finally going for the stainless exhaust. I'm keeping the old cat. He said it was absolutely fine. He's just going to build in front and behind it and join either side better than standard. He said it's currently an aftermarket exhaust on and it's not fitted properly too. So, hopefully this will be an improvement. (PP Tuning, Louth).

Then, MOT on Saturday 12th.....at Volvo. Lets see how that goes.

After waiting over 2 years for DVLA to put two plates I requested into auction, they finally did it! So, not long now and FOX 480B will finally be VOL 480T. Perfect. Fox said he doesn't want to keep the old plate so it'll be going up for sale. I don't expect it to sell for a long time though. Anyone know a Bob Fox.....?

Next weekend: Rear light resto (again, but better)...if it's not raining as I can't take them off the car....

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Mon May 31, 2021 9:42 am

Can't believe you managed to bag the plate! Well done you! :D

He's looking absolutely stunning! That's going to be you,James, Al and Sylvia parking in the shiny car corner whilst us mere mortals slum it in the filthy corner.
edie_fox wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 8:54 pm
Then, of course, the lines of satisfaction.
Oooooooh Yeah! that's what we like to see!

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Mon May 31, 2021 8:56 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 9:42 am
Can't believe you managed to bag the plate! Well done you! :D

He's looking absolutely stunning! That's going to be you,James, Al and Sylvia parking in the shiny car corner whilst us mere mortals slum it in the filthy corner.
edie_fox wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 8:54 pm
Then, of course, the lines of satisfaction.
Oooooooh Yeah! that's what we like to see!
Haha, it really did make him look much smarter. I much prefer detailing the 480; nice and low, no horrible curves. I don't enjoy cleaning the C30 much. Plastic and curvy. Not as satisfying!
I cleaned it this morning, had a nap and then did one of my neighbour's Freelanders! She'd accidentally scrubbed and scratched the bonnet. I clay bar'd it and got all the bee poo off (she works at a bee keeping sales place!) and the polisher got rid of all of it. Love it!

I think the most satisfying colour 480s to do would be flat red and black. So much gloss to be had! If you get a red rescue, I'll come and do it! :lol:

Yes, it should take up to 21 days for the certificate to come (won 18 May) then I need to get the FOX plate on retention. Then, I'm assuming I'll actually have to wait for the new G369 WPD V5 before I can put another private plate on it as I will have used the V5 ref on my current one to remove a plate? I have tried to ask but it's impossible to get through to them. I have messaged them but I expect a generic reply about simply removing a plate or putting a plate on....I already know that! Has anyone else took off one private plate and immediately put another on before?

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:33 pm

Exhaust day!

Well, they didn't do what was going to be done. Although he did quote that with it on the ground.

So, cat back and shiny tail. Sound, if anything, is quieter but that's ok by me. Another preservation job done.

I've also not seen underneath it since before it had all the work in January so it's nice to see it looking good under there now.

Sound before and after (although, I appreciate I'm at different angles!)
https://youtu.be/zODNN-xn1JE

This is before (today):

And this is after:

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:27 pm

I think the most satisfying colour 480s to do would be flat red and black. So much gloss to be had! If you get a red rescue, I'll come and do it!
Well, there's a red GT rescue that will be at Jeff's before too much longer, then R5 - a black turbo sitting here (or wait til it's at Jeff's if that's easier) which will then be pursued by R7, a black ES !! Nothing like keeping busy....... :lol:
Has anyone else took off one private plate and immediately put another on before?
Yup, been there, done that, and yes, it does go back to the original reg when you take the first one off. In my case the first private plate went on retention and got sold, and it was the original reg that went on retention for keeping, in case the next owner wants original. Plus of course the plate would more than double the price of my ES so I'd expect my executors to sell it separately. Not that DVLA was likely to have much success selling L379 UPW but sod's law and all that.
Sylvia

hubby has

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:05 pm

Haha, oooooh I love a good cleaning challenge!

With the plate, I got the V750 (certificate for VOL 480T) last week. I tried to go online right away and put FOX 480B on retention but it said I couldn't do this online and I needed to do it by mail (it was between 7am and 7pm. I'm guessing they want to do more checks? I got as far as putting the V5 ref in and then it came up with that message). So, I had to go to Louth to get a cheque from my friend (postal order is a tenner and a bankers draft was £15!) The man on Barclays chat I spoke to was infuriating "are you wanting an overdraft?" etc etc :wall:

Anyway. On the form to put FOX 480B on retention there was a section that said "the vehicle in section 1 will be given a replacement registration number unless you want to assign another private registration at the same time". So, I'm guessing as they're doing it manually, they can do that all in one go rather than me waiting for the G369 WPD V5! Anyway, I put it all in and wrote a letter with it and sent it signed for. It got there last week so fingers crossed.....I might get the VOL 480T V5 sometime in the next three months! I imagine anything physically with DVLA is backlogged somewhat.

In other news; Fox just asked for this photo with the 480 so he could show his friend! :shock:

He said he was trying to give his best Partridge.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:19 am

edie_fox wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:05 pm
:rofl:

Although he really should have given it some Woolarding!

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:41 am

jifflemon wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:19 am
edie_fox wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:05 pm
:rofl:

Although he really should have given it some Woolarding!
Haha. I’ll add this when it’s out and he’s home again!

brinkie
480 Connoisseur

Post by brinkie » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:44 pm

Your son looks so happy the way he is. I love that.
Robert.

Present cars: 1994 Volvo 480 GT 2.0i, 1999 Volvo S70 2.5 Europa, 2010 Volvo V70 2.0F Momentum

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:27 am

Passed MOT this morning! Got his new summer anniversary date now. No more forcing him out when the weather is awful.

He was only in about 30 minutes so all must have been well!

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:38 am

Well done !! All the hard work paying off.😆😆
Sylvia

hubby has

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:23 pm

dragonflyjewels wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:38 am
Well done !! All the hard work paying off.😆😆
Yes! Feels nice to know it's at a good point and reliable of late.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:57 pm

Awesome work!! :D

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:20 pm

Cool pic outside the Volvo dealership.

Left v. Right; then and now.

30 years later and still the 480 looks dainty and svelte next to its brick like counterparts…. Nothing changes to when it was parked adjacent to 240’s when new!

Hope the exhaust gives years of trouble free service.
Jay-Kay-Em
-------------------------------------
Click here for My 480 Turbo Diary
Click here for My Cars