Coming to America - mathrock's USA Volvo 480 Turbo

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

mathrock
480 Newbie

Re: Coming to America - mathrock's USA Volvo 480 Turbo

Post by mathrock » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:57 am

brinkie wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:57 pm
How is the speedometer/odometer in miles doing?
Tonight I installed the new speedometer and instrument cluster. My previous one had started to fall apart with the gauges flaking and becoming see through. Robert sent me one from the Netherlands which had the speedometer in miles per hour (MPH). He even set the odometer to match my current km in miles! Thanks Robert!

Horrible peeling gauge faces:

Swapping units:

Side by side:

Old gauges at night:

New gauges:

brinkie
480 Connoisseur

Post by brinkie » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:02 pm

+1 for the can of Wheels Gose Round beer from Left Hand Brewery; I have never drank that particular beer but they make some pretty good craft beers. A couple of years ago I got "paid" for a speedometer repair with a load of spare parts and a bottle of "Wake Up Dead" Imperial Stout. I guess the name applied to day after when you had a bit too much of it :lol:

Just a question, I am currently collecting spare parts to get to Thijs who will then be sending a load of parts to you, did you think of a spare headlight popup motor? It's kind of an investment really, because you can always sell it to Ferrari 456/550/575 owners :P
Robert.

Present cars: 1994 Volvo 480 GT 2.0i, 1999 Volvo S70 2.5 Europa, 2010 Volvo V70 2.0F Momentum

mathrock
480 Newbie

Post by mathrock » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:53 pm

brinkie wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:02 pm
+1 for the can of Wheels Gose Round beer from Left Hand Brewery; I have never drank that particular beer but they make some pretty good craft beers. A couple of years ago I got "paid" for a speedometer repair with a load of spare parts and a bottle of "Wake Up Dead" Imperial Stout. I guess the name applied to day after when you had a bit too much of it :lol:

Just a question, I am currently collecting spare parts to get to Thijs who will then be sending a load of parts to you, did you think of a spare headlight popup motor? It's kind of an investment really, because you can always sell it to Ferrari 456/550/575 owners :P
I agree! Left Hand makes some delicious beer. Thijs has a pair of headlight motors that he is going to sell me. I figured it would be a good idea to have on hand.

mathrock
480 Newbie

Post by mathrock » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:32 am

Installed the front nose cone badge today!

Trimmed some 3M tape

Laying out install location

Looking good

mathrock
480 Newbie

Post by mathrock » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:54 pm

It's been a while since I've updated progress here. Been fixing up a ton of things on the 480 Turbo in preparation for the Radwood 80's/90's car show.

For those not following the 480 Facebook group. This past weekend we took the 480 on it's first major road trip, ~300mi round trip to the Radwood car show in New Jersey. The Volvo did great aside from the Info Center dying on the drive up and now acting intermittent (probably bad solder joints that need to be fixed). The Volvo was loved by everyone and received special recognition by Radwood as the people's choice, even though it didn't win an official award!

Image from @radwoodofficial on Instagram

Additionally, my wife wrote up a great article on prepping and attending the show!

The Volvo 480 Turbo at Radwood New Jersey 2019!