Oli's 1992 Volvo 480ES Limited Edition

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Re: Oli's 1992 Volvo 480ES Limited Edition

Post by Alan 480 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:44 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:59 am
Calipers and carriers is all you need.

Rebuild kits?

BiggRed looks promising
I've used them previously, the kit came with ALL parts, I got a 'pack' and it seemed to contain extra parts which I assumed were for the vented version?
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

Knows where Volvo is from

Post by 100 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:41 pm

Alan 480 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:44 pm
jifflemon wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:59 am
Calipers and carriers is all you need.

Rebuild kits?

BiggRed looks promising
I've used them previously, the kit came with ALL parts, I got a 'pack' and it seemed to contain extra parts which I assumed were for the vented version?
By vented version are you referring to the Turbo version? I want to make sure I'm getting the best front calipers for the car and I'm not missing a trick...!

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:56 pm

Vented version = Turbo

Don't know if the GT/Celebration has vented, but if they did, they'll be the same as the turbo ones

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:35 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:56 pm
Vented version = Turbo

Don't know if the GT/Celebration has vented, but if they did, they'll be the same as the turbo ones
just for clarity, both of ours/mine are fitted with solid discs, just the repair kit had more rubber seals than I needed!!
I'll look at what I have spare in the AM

edit
I seemed to have extra sleeves, same as are fitted to the rear calipers?
Alan

Post by 100 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:08 am

Thanks, I'll give this kit a go and see how I get on!

I'll be tackling the first of two heated seat pads this week as I can take the seat out and do it from the comfort of my living room!

The car did 500 miles over Thursday and Friday with no issues, although when I was crawling around underneath this weekend I noticed that some of the underseal has dropped off the bottom of the car and exposed the chassis which has some very minor surface rust - something to deal with when I'm sorting out the exhaust.

Parts keep arriving from last months flurry of spending, with lots of small bits having arrived, but the most exciting part by far:

As Will put it, 'it's almost too nice to put on the car'.

I don't know when it'll go on but I expect it will make an enormous improvement; I'm convinced mine is utterly buggered!

Following a week of abuse another clean was in order, although not as thorough as the usual effort - the underside and wheel arches did get a thorough snow foaming.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:21 am

Its a shame you can't frame that mount! It should be worshipped as one of the finest examples of unobtainium around!

(where did you find it?)

Post by 100 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:49 am

I've just ordered a glass case for it and I'm thinking of starting my own 480 museum centered around this one piece...

I managed to find it when browsing European classified websites, this particular part was on a website called eBay Kleinanzeigen. Now I'm not taking the piss, it's not 'normal' eBay, it's more like a local classifieds akin to Gumtree. Apparently it's only branded as eBay because they bought it back in the day. The only tricky thing is that they aren't always that keen on Paypal and if they do accept it then they want it sent in the form of 'friends and family', which sounds a bit dodgy but I haven't been conned yet.

I also use Leboncoin for France, mostly for Renault related stuff.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:49 am

100 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:08 am
I'll be tackling the first of two heated seat pads this week as I can take the seat out and do it from the comfort of my living room!
My absolute top tip? Do NOT bother with trying to re-use Hog rings; They are the fastener of Satan himself.

Instead use small cable ties to refasten fabric to the runners, and serenity will return to your life....

Post by 100 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:05 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:49 am
100 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:08 am
My absolute top tip? Do NOT bother with trying to re-use Hog rings; They are the fastener of Satan himself.

Instead use small cable ties to refasten fabric to the runners, and serenity will return to your life....
These are the tips I need! Otherwise it just isn't worth the pain and misery...

Post by 100 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:06 pm

Couple more deliveries today, I need to start putting things on the car soon otherwise I’ll have more bits than car!

I’m going to save the number plate holder as the existing is fine but I couldn’t turn down nos!

Post by 100 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:55 am

Some actual activity has occured other than accumulating parts:

A sheet of plasterboard fell off a lorry on the Euston Road and damaged splitter:

Repaired with fibreglass:

(I did sand the whole splitter back, it just looks a bit rough in those pics)

Filled, sanded and primed:

Painted and fitted:

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:26 pm

That looks a cracking good job on the splitter - well done :D
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

Post by 100 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:34 pm

Some dodgy discoveries since my successful splitter repair:

Cracked:

Crusty:

Rusty:

Nevermind. A roll of exhaust tape on the backbox until I get a proper stainless exhuast made has done the job. A new airbox pipe is coming from the Netherlands and I've started to tackle the rust:

Ground back, thankfully it hadn't crept too far:

Treated:

I have dinitrol, primer and paint ready to go but I got curious about what else might be lurking behind the rear bumper so...

Shoutout to Jeff for his bumper removal walk through - makes a shit job slightly less shit.

But someone had been there before me (I swear!), and it turns out 3 of the 4 threads that hold the rear bumper (aside from all the screws which ALL had to be cut off with the exception of 3 or 4) have been sheared!

Any tips on how to deal with these, are they part of the bumper or can they be removed and replaced? Needless to say, all the nuts, bolts and screws that have come off will be replaced with some nice high tensile zinc coated versions smeared with copper grease.

A representative example of the screws:

Sexy:

Fortunately, once again it's surface:

As per the arches, it will be treated and painted.

I thought this a good opportunity to take the bumper apart and see what the notorious sponge had been doing for the last 27 years.

Turns out, not that much:

I was expecting much worse...

...although this was interesting:

Some bits cleaned up:

I also discovered that the metal 'bars' that are inside the rear wheel mudflaps were comprised entirely of rust... The existing cuts in the mudflaps were used to extract all the rust, so I now have two slightly more floppy mudflaps - I just need to think up something to replace the metal with - resin?!

Continuing the theme of rust, these brackets for the numberplates lights were bongo'd... I blasted them with rust converter because there was no way they were coming out in one piece. Replacements anyone!?

So... the bumper bar is in the process of being cleared up of rust and will be covered in Dinitrol to protect it, I'm even going so far as to coat the bumper sponge to make it water resistant and hopefully minimise the chance of any more rust.

I know some people say leave the sponge out all together, but it is in great condition and the bumper bar only has surface rust so I haven't experienced major problems having it in there - plus I need the extra comfort provided when I get rear ended.

Hopefully, this will keep the treated areas rust free for a few more years to come, although I'm now starting to question what I might find behind the front bumper..!

On a final note, I'm a bit soft when it comes to kneeling and lying on concrete so I always use one of those gardening pads when working on the car, however it turns out you can get a Volvo branded mat to use which is even better! You've all got one, it's hidden in plain sight in your boot:

I've also had about 3 goes at offering up my engine undertray to the car and I can't for the life of me figure out how and what it would be fastened to, any hints?

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:41 pm

The evil sponges are not the main bumper cover, but are sandwiched up around the sides, tucked into this plastic shelf

Exterior desrusting of the bumper bar is good, but ensure you cavity wax the inners, as they tend to rot inside out.

Snapped threads on the bar, well, I'm guess drill and tap are the obvious, if slightly annoying solution.
100 wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:34 pm
I've also had about 3 goes at offering up my engine undertray to the car and I can't for the life of me figure out how and what it would be fastened to, any hints?
Spire nuts normally i think; I'm going to replace them with Rivnuts so I can get a decent thread in there!

Post by 100 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:52 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:41 pm
The evil sponges are not the main bumper cover, but are sandwiched up around the sides, tucked into this plastic shelf
Oh I've seen those, they look suitably rank.
jifflemon wrote:
Exterior desrusting of the bumper bar is good, but ensure you cavity wax the inners, as they tend to rot inside out.
Ah yes, I have some cavity wax to do the inside.
jifflemon wrote:
Snapped threads on the bar, well, I'm guess drill and tap are the obvious, if slightly annoying solution.
I was thinking of putting some connector nuts on the longer ones, as below. For the one pictured in my previous post, that won't work so your approach might be the only solution.

jifflemon wrote:
Spire nuts normally i think; I'm going to replace them with Rivnuts so I can get a decent thread in there!
Spire clips?

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:26 pm

Spire clips, or speednuts... handy, but not the best as the bases tend to rotate around when rusted...
100 wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:52 pm
Oh I've seen those, they look suitably rank.
I'd suggest burning them, but they're usually so damp they'd never light. Check the drain holes in the area behind that plastic vent/above the evil sponges (the potential is that accumulated dirt from the evil sponges will have blocked them)

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:15 pm

I think the 'araldite' on the number plate lamps is 'standard', on the red one (EVA) I though they'd been bodged, but found NORA the same!!!

I just made up small ally sections folded over to replace the rotten steel metal that the number plate lights should fix to . . .

There is a local company that we use for water jetting that could make up the replacements but they need a pattern or drawing to start from.

I could ask about getting a batch made but until you get to 100s the cost is daft (I'd suggest in thin SS?)
Alan

arthuy
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by arthuy » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:20 pm

I welded a few new bolts on to my bar.

It was quite easy as there was a big rust hole where the head was.

You could drill the bolts outs and use rivnuts and bolts to repair.

If your rear bumper is that good I would think your going to be fine with the front.

Great work, really like the photos.

Post by 100 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:12 am

Alan 480 wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:15 pm

There is a local company that we use for water jetting that could make up the replacements but they need a pattern or drawing to start from.

I could ask about getting a batch made but until you get to 100s the cost is daft (I'd suggest in thin SS?)
What file formats do they need for their machines? eps or something similar I'd imagine? Yeah SS makes sense. That being said I have a machinist friend who I'm sure could knock some up (post covid) and he'd be happy to do a small number. If anyone is interested let me know and I'll have a word with him.
arthuy wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:20 pm

You could drill the bolts outs and use rivnuts and bolts to repair.

If your rear bumper is that good I would think your going to be fine with the front.

Great work, really like the photos.
Thanks! Rivnuts look like a good replacement, I've not come across them before. I'll try the connectors and threads first, as I think this will work for 2 of the 3 sheared threads and I can get hold of them quickly. If that doesn't work, or I can be bothered, I may go back at some point and replace with Rivnuts.

In reference to my airbox pipe, does anyone know the size of the clamps? Mine is covered with exhaust tape in an effort to hold it together and stop my crazy idling and I can't measure them!

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:55 pm

100 wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:12 am
Alan 480 wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:15 pm

What file formats do they need for their machines? eps or something similar I'd imagine? Yeah SS makes sense. That being said I have a machinist friend who I'm sure could knock some up (post covid) and he'd be happy to do a small number. If anyone is interested let me know and I'll have a word with him.
Had a bit of brain fade, the sister company have water jetting machine!!!! I'll find out the format and next time we send kit to them I can add asection of SS and get them back at some point, well I can ask :wink:
Alan