Oli's 1992 Volvo 480ES Limited Edition

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Knows where Volvo is from

Re: Oli's 1992 Volvo 480ES Limited Edition

Post by 100 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:30 am

jifflemon wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:55 pm
1) those front shocks look like Sachs ones.... maybe they e been replaced, but that spring cup alone would be reason enough for me to have pulled it all apart!
Interesting! Are they considered a decent unit? I am familiar with Sachs from their use in touring cars and the Clio Trophy but don't know what their basic products are like. The spring cups look worse than they are, but I take your point!

I took a few more pics whilst poking around, is there anything else worth attention?

Front:

Rear:

jifflemon wrote:
2) centre cap stickers - am working on it as I’ve got some Taurus wheels to refurb. As James has already said, there’s nothing worse than a mismatched centre cap paint; although coming in at second place would be a matching centre cap that was missing its reflective sticker.....
I'd already anticipated the colour difference between the wheel and cap as a potential problem but assuming they are painted at the same time, with the same gun then there shouldn't be too much variance? I've no knowledge/experience of painting metal vs plastic. Good to know a sticker solution is in the works.
jifflemon wrote:
3) trust me when I say you’ll find petrol is the single best thing for cleaning that black grime off the back of the wheels... have a look at my thread way way back in the early days!
I find a piece of old clay works wonders! I gave up after the first wheel because there was so much of the black over spray that it just wasn't worth it.

How I keep the wheels on my other car:

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:44 am

you may find this post useful.....

Sach shockers are good - However, the only real test is removal!
The shocks on the green car appeared fine. Only once removed did I realise just how shot they were!

Post by 100 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:12 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:44 am
you may find this post useful.....
I know this isn't what you intended me to take away from that post but, there are different size fuel tanks?!

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:19 pm

early cars have a 48 litre tank, later cars a 60 litre tank (I think!)

Robou
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by Robou » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:01 pm

Well, it is you asked, but it very much looks like one of the rear springs is giving up.
Too old to bother
480 Turbo midst '91

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:06 am

Robou wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:01 pm
Well, it is you asked, but it very much looks like one of the rear springs is giving up.
I have to admit, I initially thought that - I'm presuming you mean this:

At first glance it looks like the spring is missing a chunk, but on closer examination, it's actually the bolt from the Tie rod.

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:08 pm

100 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:23 pm

Y'know, you get so bored of looking at tired examples on eBay, it becomes kind of depressing. Endless 480's teetering on the edge of break or sell. Muddy tyres, mucky footwells and bad rear lights.

Then, you read threads like this, with clean, polished, tyre dressed, cared for examples... and a picture still generates a 'wow'.

A 'wow' no different to when I first saw the 480 as a young lad.

Great updates and an inspiration to get back in the garage.

JKM
Jay-Kay-Em
-------------------------------------
Click here for My 480 Turbo Diary
Click here for My Cars

Post by 100 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:32 am

jifflemon wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:06 am
Robou wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:01 pm
At first glance it looks like the spring is missing a chunk, but on closer examination, it's actually the bolt from the Tie rod.
Yes, thankfully it's just the bolt in the pic.

Jay-Kay-Em wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:08 pm
Great updates and an inspiration to get back in the garage.
Thanks! As I said before, I bought a very good example of a 480 so rather than this being a great resurrection it's simply maintenance and some fixes here and there so I can't really take credit for it!

Managed to fix the passenger heated seat button at the weekend with Will's help. I'll attempt to take the seats apart one by one in an effort to replace the thermostat. The heated seats aren't exactly up to modern standards so whether I'll change the whole heated seat pad remains to be seen. Might be easier and with a more satisfying end result.

In other news:

My front right brake pads are rubbing the disc so suspect the pistons are not returning properly. I'm debating putting some Turbo brakes on the front rather than rebuild or source a new standard caliper. Probably a good idea after, when following me, Will commented, 'your brakes must be very hot the way you drive' - I've decided to take it as a compliment. Can anyone confirm that the rear brakes on a Turbo car are the same as the rears on a standard?

I'm also having an issue with my idle control value, at least I think this is the cause of the problem. Sometimes the idle bounces and it can make maneuvering around n tight spaces quite awkward, often leading to stalling. I've had it cleaned when the car was at a garage last year but I'm sure there is something more that can be done to mitigate it - any ideas? It's bloody annoying!

The exhaust has always rattled slightly at high RPMs but now rattles just at idle. Giving the tailpipe a gentle push with my foot stops the rattle so I assume it's hangar related - just need to get under the car to have a look which is easier said than done!

Also discovered that the front splitter has been repaired in the past, so something to consider getting properly repaired in the future, but it's very much at the lower end of the priority list.

So whilst the clean picture above tells one story, the reality is always slightly different! Not that any of the above is particularly serious of course.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:52 pm

100 wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:32 am
Managed to fix the passenger heated seat button at the weekend with Will's help. I'll attempt to take the seats apart one by one in an effort to replace the thermostat. The heated seats aren't exactly up to modern standards so whether I'll change the whole heated seat pad remains to be seen. Might be easier and with a more satisfying end result.
This is a good idea.... Original volvo pad on the left, Modern one on the right.

Not only that, but you can replace both fronts and add pads to the rear seats (or have spares!) for LESS than the cost of a single replacement heated seat thermostat.
100 wrote:

My front right brake pads are rubbing the disc so suspect the pistons are not returning properly. I'm debating putting some Turbo brakes on the front rather than rebuild or source a new standard caliper. Probably a good idea after, when following me, Will commented, 'your brakes must be very hot the way you drive' - I've decided to take it as a compliment. Can anyone confirm that the rear brakes on a Turbo car are the same as the rears on a standard?
Rear calipers the same. I'd obviously recommend overhauling both front and rear before fitting of course!
100 wrote:
The exhaust has always rattled slightly at high RPMs but now rattles just at idle. Giving the tailpipe a gentle push with my foot stops the rattle so I assume it's hangar related - just need to get under the car to have a look which is easier said than done!
Probably the rubbers - There's not many on them! two rubber doughnuts hold the middle pipe (probably long gone!) and two mounts hold the backbox; The proper volvo ones are worth hunting down.... I've been trying to find (without success) a bulk supplier so I can hold them in the little shop of horrors. They look like this:

Post by 100 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:24 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:52 pm

Not only that, but you can replace both fronts and add pads to the rear seats (or have spares!) for LESS than the cost of a single replacement heated seat thermostat.
Ah, I couldn't bring myself to buy from Scandix with ridiculous shipping so I bought some from RS components - Only £14 for two but I did some how end up buying 4... Looks like I'll be sending them back, I didn't realise the pads were that crap in comparison.

I assume those are 'universal' pads from Amazon or the like?
jifflemon wrote:
Probably the rubbers - There's not many on them! two rubber doughnuts hold the middle pipe (probably long gone!) and two mounts hold the backbox; The proper volvo ones are worth hunting down.... I've been trying to find (without success) a bulk supplier so I can hold them in the little shop of horrors.
Good to know, I'll have a look around. Typically, I've been looking around for parts today and I've stumbled across all sorts that I'd like to buy but not necessarily the bits you need - such is life!
jifflemon wrote:
Rear calipers the same. I'd obviously recommend overhauling both front and rear before fitting of course!
Yes of course! I read through JKM's thread and noticed you both used the same brake people so I'd probably follow suit!

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:30 pm

Yup, those are the common universal pads.
Used them in one of my other cars, still fine and toasty 4 years later.

I contemplated positioning a newer switch on the side of the chair to give the various heat settings, but then realised I either have them off or on, so the standard switch would work just fine!

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:36 pm

not wishing to teach any grannies about eggs, but remember to turn the pre-tensioners to 'across' before seat removal!!

for the middle box I've removed the two rear gear lever screws and replaced with 40 or 45mm ones

folded SS U section between them held up and a VERTICAL rubber hanger with a extra long threaded rod (SS) around the exhaust also with SS U section (threaded rod is also clamped to the exhaust so it won't rattle.

used a four hole mount with square holes top & bottom, still have part number

the thinking is that this will hold the pipe vertically as a couple of my exhausts have failed where the 'horizontal' bar is welded on

I'll try and take a picture. . . .
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

Post by 100 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:52 am

jifflemon wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:30 pm
Great, I've ordered some of these. Might put some in the back as well...!
Alan 480 wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:36 pm
not wishing to teach any grannies about eggs, but remember to turn the pre-tensioners to 'across' before seat removal!!

for the middle box I've removed the two rear gear lever screws and replaced with 40 or 45mm ones

folded SS U section between them held up and a VERTICAL rubber hanger with a extra long threaded rod (SS) around the exhaust also with SS U section (threaded rod is also clamped to the exhaust so it won't rattle.

used a four hole mount with square holes top & bottom, still have part number

the thinking is that this will hold the pipe vertically as a couple of my exhausts have failed where the 'horizontal' bar is welded on

I'll try and take a picture. . . .
'across'?

I'll try and take a look under the car this weekend to figure what/where the problem is and I'll put some pics up so we can come up with a definitive solution.

Thanks for the help Jeff/Alan!

Post by 100 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:12 am

100 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:52 am
I'll try and take a look under the car this weekend to figure what/where the problem is and I'll put some pics up so we can come up with a definitive solution.
No patience! I've ordered 2 new doughnuts, 2 exhaust mounts. I've had quite a successful parts hunt this week across the interwebs - I also have a new genuine volvo engine mount coming :D , and hopefully an engine under tray as my car doesn't have one. Two parts I'd resigned myself to never having!

Hoarding quite a lot of bits at the moment, so at some point there is going to have to be a big session to get all this fitted.

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:35 pm

100 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:52 am
jifflemon wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:30 pm
Great, I've ordered some of these. Might put some in the back as well...!
Alan 480 wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:36 pm

f
'across'?

Thanks for the help Jeff/Alan!
there should be a small red button under the edge of the seat cover next to seat belt buckle, the arrow points forward when armed , and across when 'locked'
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

Post by 100 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:09 pm

I haven't been able to have a go at anything mentioned so far but I have been receiving daily packages or 480 related parts/tools/chemicals.

I did take a couple of crap pictures of the exhaust, unfortunately not on a lift but I can't see any signs of anything worn - although the exhaust is the cause of the rattle.

I had a new section shortly (looks like from the cat back) just after I bought the car, I have no idea if it is a standard item? I would ignorantly assume not? No rubber doughnuts or diamond shaped exhaust hangers to be seen...!

Hoping to get to the heated seats/exhaust this weekend but things never go to plan. It will also need another clean as it's currently on the way to Devon with my girlfriend for work.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:26 pm

well I can see one of the front hangers.....

Post by 100 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:55 pm

Ah I got confused between the hangers and the back box mounts - I suppose I won't know what's going on until I get under there.

Post by 100 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:57 am

I am once against asking for your advice...

I've sourced some Turbo front calipers - what do I need to make sure I get from the guy selling? He has mentioned calipers and carriers - is there anything else that's key to make the conversion?

Also recommended rebuild kits available on the interwebs or is it just a case of googling around?

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:59 am

Calipers and carriers is all you need.

Rebuild kits?

BiggRed looks promising