Snazzy's story

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

dragonflyjewels
480 Expert

Re: Snazzy's story

Post by dragonflyjewels » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:42 am

What was wrong with them ?
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo with richmod
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Dark Green GT
Evil Eva 1992 Paris Blue Turbo with Robou mod

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:43 am

They used to look like two parts that were stuck together with a small lip step between‎ the two parts and the light hole was too large. It sounds like they've perfected it which is good to know! That was being picky though and beggars can't be choosers with 480 parts. 
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2001 Volvo C70 2.4T convertible (Olivolvo)
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

dragonflyjewels
480 Expert

Post by dragonflyjewels » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:42 am

Just paid a visit to the body shop and frustratingly found no progress - the welder is off sick with a chest infection. Paul the boss is hoping to get their last welder back part time - he retired last year and is apparently bored.
Sylvia

hubby has

dragonflyjewels
480 Expert

Post by dragonflyjewels » Sat May 04, 2019 9:35 pm

Hooray, progress at last ! The new welder developed pneumonia and wont be back, two new guys tried out weren't good enough, but the one that retired has now started back part time. Holes in the boot are no more, next time he comes in he'll be starting on the wings.
Sylvia

hubby has

dragonflyjewels
480 Expert

Post by dragonflyjewels » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:38 pm

Well, we finally gave up with our usual bodyshop, Snazzy was there for a year and still awaiting a welder good enough to do wheel arches. On the recommendation of our pedantic repairman, we have arranged to have her done at another bodyshop. Significantly more expensive (ulp!) but reassuringly thorough. They will restore all the back end and I was pleased to hear that they use Dynax on all the hidden bits after they've been etched and painted. They regularly do Lotus Carltons - apparently well known in the Carlton club, the last one they did came down from Inverness. They can't guarantee a timescale, they have to fit it in around their insurance work, but should be 4 - 6 months. Phew, that gives me time to save up the rest of the cash. Maybe she'll be on the road for next May's mini meet.
Al arranged to hire a trailer, but then discovered that our recently purchased Saab has had the electrics to the towbar stripped out (why?? no idea). Fortunately, we hadn't got around to selling the 850 which also has a towbar. It was on sorn, so I was going to substitute it onto the Saab's insurance, only to be told by a computer that it wasn't elligible for their cover (why ?? no idea) Plan B was a one day insurance, but when I read the Ts and Cs, it was only for cars not on SORN (why?? no idea) and 2 other short-term companies I tried said the same. So I ended up having to buy a year's insurance so I could pay a month's tax to use the car for 1 day. Now I have to remember to cancel the insurance by the 31st so it's still in the 'cooling off' period and SORN it again. What a pfaff. :angry: So we hired the trailer and took Snazzy to our repairman to change the cambelt (now a year overdue) and also fit the stainless exhaust aquired in Scotland. The bodyshop isn't far from him so he will get her there when done. She looks a sorry sight with wheel arches stripped back, no bumpers or front light clusters and a thick layer of dust but at least progress is in sight. With all the stress, I totally forgot to take any pics, but then it's probably just as well in her current state.
Sylvia

hubby has

dragonflyjewels
480 Expert

Post by dragonflyjewels » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:39 pm

The stainless exhaust I bought from Fraser is now on Snazzy as part of her multi-million pound upgrade. When we moved her from our welder-less usual bodyshop to a much more expensive one, she visited the repairman en-route for a cambelt change (she's been off the road 2 years and it was well overdue on age) Whilst there it seemed like a good idea to get the exhaust fitted as well, but needless to say it wasn't a simple job. She's a 93 so Mr Pedantic would not countenance her being de-catted. The bypass section had to be cut off and while he was at it he decided he didn't like the Powerflow fixings or the slightly inaccurate positioning of them (only perfect will do) Anyway, he changed it all and when Al had a look he said it was a fabulous job - sadly no photos cos it was off the ramp by the time I arrived so even I have yet to see it. She is currently tucked away at the back of the new bodyshop, getting worked on in fits and starts in between their 'bread and butter' insurance work. The owner said he'd much rather be doing restorations like mine but they are few and far between - the time estimate was 4-6 months and I don't like to think about the price estimate. Luckily I sell plants from my 1/3 acre garden on ebay and squirrel the proceeds away for spending on the 480s. It's been very successful and even with the extravagance of Snazzy's number plate the pot is just about back up to the price of the bodywork. :D
Last edited by dragonflyjewels on Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sylvia

hubby has

cranna21
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by cranna21 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:58 am

Shame it didn't just pop on! I was sure the car it came off of had a standard CAT up front, but was maybe a 'home brew' CAT arrangement... my mistake, but at least its on!

Looking forward to hearing it!
1991 white 480 ES bought with 39800 on the clock end of November 2013, Now sporting a 208bhp/230nm Renault F7R Clio Williams 16v engine!