Novice 480s

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Cjchefy
480 Newbie

Novice 480s

Post by Cjchefy » Tue May 15, 2018 3:15 pm

Hey all

Thought I should stick a post on. Joined back in November and I am new to the world of 480’s that was until last March when I managed to pick up a 1993 red 480s Car had the usual rust round the rear wheel arches and bottom of driver door but nothing to terminal or bad. Some things worked others didn’t and it only had 87000 miles. All I got was the car and 2 keys the boot was empty not even a carpet or spare wheel lol no service history or even handbook but for £200 I thought why not.
To begin with removed both bumpers to get a look at the body, carried out all body work myself all surface rust and no holes to speak of sorted it all out and have painted it but it’s not perfect and will need more work.
Next was the passenger window didn’t work so was able to source a second hand replacement fitted and now works. The Ariel didn’t go up or down and none of the interior lights worked. So took out the Ariel and tested and it didn’t appear to work so ordered a replacement and fitted but still didn’t work so I left it and moved on to the mechanical side of things.
Had to replace both rear Brake caliper’s, pads and disc’s fronts were ok. Replaced the timing belt and aux belt along with new fluids throughout oil and air filter with new spark plugs.
I went back to look at the Ariel problem, checked the fuse and it was fine so did a bit of digging and found that Ariel and interior lights work of the same fuse but all the fuse’s were ok so I did some more reading and put a 20amp fuse in the front fog lights (car doesn’t have front frogs) and to my amazement it all works 😂.
Still not mot’d yet and still things to do but took out for quick test drive and the speedo has stopped working😒 thought I had got away with all the speedo problems as I don’t have the info centre.
so that will need looked at.
Also need to replace the water pump not sure why I didn’t do this when replacing the timing belt but hey still learning as I go also would like to replace the fuel filter.
the only real down side is being in Northern Ireland parts aren’t easy to source and postage can be an issue eBay has helped thus far lol
Have been able to source a back carpet, tool kit window regulator, Ariel and items for the brakes and various other bits and bobs
Would like a set of alloys (currently on steel wheels) but postage is the killer there but hopefully will work something out. Also trying to locate the cover for spare wheel currently it’s just a big hole lol.
Hopefully will get the car sorted in a month or 2 but just try to squeeze it in around work family etc.
I do have to say tho this forum is very very good would not even have attempted any of this without it and has helped through many a head scratching moment.

Long may the work continue

frenchfries
Advanced 480 rookie

Re: Novice 480s

Post by frenchfries » Tue May 15, 2018 3:50 pm

Welcome
You seem to be working fast on this. You will get your reward soon(ish) :)
1993 Turbo auto called Skip for the important stuff
2011 Juke 190 for everything else

zapcity
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by zapcity » Tue May 15, 2018 3:51 pm

Good to read your write up.

Let's have a few pictures so we can see all your hard work!

Agree abuout the forum. If you can't find the info. on here then it probably doesn't exist.
1994 480GT - arrived!!
XC60 and XC70 for the daily grind.
C70 Coupé Convertible for the sunny days. Should sell it but can't!

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Tue May 15, 2018 4:16 pm

nice work so far! Where abouts in Northern Ireland are you?

Close enough to a ferry port? That's not to say parts are plentiful here in the UK either, but if you make a list, I'm pretty sure we can help source.

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Tue May 15, 2018 6:29 pm

We could help with a set of standard wheels. We'll be getting the ferry to Rosslaire in June, but that's probably a couple of hundred miles too far south.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

arthuy
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by arthuy » Tue May 15, 2018 7:32 pm

If you know anyone heading to the Glasgow area I could help you out with some wheels and other parts from the car I am breaking.

I know a firm that occasionally go over, could see if that would work out, the tyres are legal on the alloys I have.

frenchfries
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by frenchfries » Tue May 15, 2018 9:49 pm

Not that many Red 480S. Yours is not registered NGK by any chance?
1993 Turbo auto called Skip for the important stuff
2011 Juke 190 for everything else

89of480
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by 89of480 » Tue May 15, 2018 10:07 pm

Definitely good to read your post, some pictures would definitely be nice to see! Congratulations and good luck with your journey - I know it can be difficult trying to fit things around life though!
‘95 Celebration Auto - №89 of 480 - Flame Red Metaillic
‘17 BMW M140i Shadow Edition - Black Sapphire Metallic

Cjchefy
480 Newbie

Post by Cjchefy » Wed May 16, 2018 1:32 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I shall see about getting a few pictures stuck up if I can work out how.

i’m about 20 miles from Belfast so no that far. It would be great if could work something out on the wheels just looking a standard set of Volvo wheels, Rosslare is a good 5hour drive just to far but many thanks for the offer. I would be more than willing to pay no problem if postage can be good, every where I’ve tried postage is around £120-150 plus paying for the wheels, just to steep lol.

Reg starts AAZ

Arthuy unfortunately don’t anyone about or going to Glasgow but if something could be worked out that would be great

The joys of having a 480 :hopping:

eye of ra
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by eye of ra » Wed May 16, 2018 3:37 pm

Cjchefy wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 1:32 pm
Thanks for all the replies. I shall see about getting a few pictures stuck up if I can work out how.
Unless things have chenged you can't post pictures till you have 10 posts. Only 8 more to go.
Current:
480 ES Auto 1989
480 Celebration 187
480 ES Auto 1991
CLK430 Conv 2001
Hyundai i10 2015

Cjchefy
480 Newbie

Post by Cjchefy » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:04 am

Thought I would add some sort of update. Work has been slow but have got the water pump changed along with the fuel filter.
Went to change the gearbox oil and found very little oil so went to top it up and found a leak round the driveshaft boot :( so I am in the middle of try to get the driveshaft out but a couple of the bolts on the front shock just don’t want to move even after heat and a few swear words so thats still work in progress :D lol.
Also managed to get the instrument cluster out and gave it a clean with contact cleaner and didn’t see any obvious problems so will see how that works out but work is still on going.
Again the site has been a Great help with getting the dashboard apart and with the gearbox oil and drive shaft leaks. Would be lost without the guides and discussions

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:57 am

Cjchefy wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:04 am
Thought I would add some sort of update. Work has been slow but have got the water pump changed along with the fuel filter.
Went to change the gearbox oil and found very little oil so went to top it up and found a leak round the driveshaft boot :( so I am in the middle of try to get the driveshaft out but a couple of the bolts on the front shock just don’t want to move even after heat and a few swear words so thats still work in progress :D lol.
undo the 8mm bolts on top of turret and swing the whole thing (hub/brake/ disc/strut) out of the way, ie remove the through bolts on inner end of the wishbone :-) but better to take the caliper slide off to reduce some weight and hang it out of the way? (it should come off easily as only M8 bolts clamping at as well)

but if leaking at inner end, is it the seal or the 'gaiter' part?
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

Cjchefy
480 Newbie

Post by Cjchefy » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:53 pm

Good idea would never have thought of that I shall try doing it that way but I might change the shocks in the near future so could be easier to just do all the donkey work now but we’ll see how it works out.

I think it is coming from the boot, on filling it up it started to come out in the middle of the boot so it must have a split but won’t be 100 % until I have it off. Knowing my luck it will probably be both lol :nuts:

Cjchefy
480 Newbie

Post by Cjchefy » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:13 pm

Thought I would give some sort of update. Work has slowed coming into the winter but have managed to replace the front suspension units on both sides after much much effort. Just my luck to finish one job and find another one. The car starts fine first time then stops after about 20 minutes or so, then won’t restart for a good couple of hours.
I have checked the pump and relays and they all appear to be working so will keep working away and hopefully figure it out.

I hopefully have worked out how to add pictures so here it goes

This is the advert for when I made the purchase.

A few pictures of on going body work I am by no means an expert in that art.

Just a few random pictures lol

Having a go at fixing the instrument cluster, still a work in progress

The old and spruced up drive shaft and the gaiter that let all the oil out of the gear box :(

And finally the front suspension I haven’t got any pictures of the new ones in place but once I get them I shall try and add. But plenty of things to keep me busy lol

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:26 pm

Cjchefy wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:13 pm

You do not know fear until you've done this! It's the automotive equivalent of the bomb squad! :shock:

Excellent update though!

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:41 am

Great to see the car coming together so well - your efforts and TLC are clearly paying off!

I echo your comments about photos - I must venture into those waters again...

Keep up the good work! :D

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:46 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:26 pm
Cjchefy wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:13 pm

You do not know fear until you've done this! It's the automotive equivalent of the bomb squad! :shock:

Excellent update though!
good stuff, watch that those compressors don't slide next to each other, even more scary wit a pair on an SS1 which is lighter but acts on the bottom wishbone so DOUBLE the poundage!!!! serious bottom twitch moment when the pair of them shot next to each other, good job it was till trapped within the confines of the suspension :shock:
Alan

Cjchefy
480 Newbie

Post by Cjchefy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:01 pm

So have been trying to sort out an issue with the fuel system. The car starts and runs for about 2O minutes or so then splutters to a stop and will not start. I think the problem is with the fuel system when I check the spark plugs after cranking a few times after it has stopped they are dry and don’t seem to be getting fuel.
I have checked the pump and it’s working, changed The filter , checked the relays and also changed the crank sensor and air sensor but still no joy car starts first time then cuts out and won’t go again.
When starting the car I can’t hear the pump working but it has been tested and works ok.
The only think I can think of is a faulty fuel ecu I have had it out but can’t see anything obvious.

Any one got any ideas or a spare ecu I could try below is a picture of the ecu from my car

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:51 pm

I have a spare ecu ref S101706102 E - I think James might be able to tell us the difference between D and E. Whereabouts are you ?
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:40 pm

"The car starts and runs for about 2O minutes or so then splutters to a stop and will not start. I think the problem is with the fuel system when I check the spark plugs after cranking a few times after it has stopped they are dry and don’t seem to be getting fuel.
I have checked the pump and it’s working, changed The filter , checked the relays and also changed the crank sensor and air sensor but still no joy car starts first time then cuts out and won’t go again.
When starting the car I can’t hear the pump working but it has been tested and works ok.
The only think I can think of is a faulty fuel ecu I have had it out but can’t see anything obvious"

but if this was the case why would it run for twenty minutes and then cut-out?

does it do this once per trial on different day, ie it will start and run for a short time , then refuses to start?

it could be somat crazy like an air lock in fuel tank?

need three things air/fuel/spark
do you get a spark from when you put a spark plug into main lead from coil pack? jam plug against inlet manifold or clamp with vicegrips
try holding the throttle valve a tiny bit open with a section of wire on the throttle cable so that you have a 'fast idle' ie it over-rides the idle valve :-)
Alan