My 480 life is just beginning!

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

zapcity
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Re: My 480 life is just beginning!

Post by zapcity » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:48 am

Great info. Thanks James.

The damper will be a good part to trade at some time then. Thanks for the explanation.

Managed to get a new pollen filter so all good. Pollen filter housing generously sold to me with the gauges and digital clock by arthuy.

Speaker pods bought just in case I break something. Been inspired by Jaster's recent post about upgrading the speakers. Will do this over the winter.
1994 480GT - arrived!!
XC60 and XC70 for the daily grind.
C70 Coupé Convertible for the sunny days. Should sell it but can't!

zapcity

Post by zapcity » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:38 pm

OK. 1st up. Feel free to laugh at this. It's how I'm taking it!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

If you've been following the thread, you'll know I've never had working electric windows since I got the car. Original owner said they had been working and I'm sure I tested them (but I know now I didn't) You can't hear the motors even trying to work.

I know old cars have many layers of history and I've just started peeling. Anyway, I had a day spare, so I thought I'd get to the bottom of it.

Lots of good advice on what to check from the good people here, so early start and off we go. Working windows soon yippee. What could go wrong!! (I think some of you may know what's coming!!)

So I have a spare CEM, and as its an easy one, I quickly remove the connectors from the old CEM and plug in the new module. No change. Oh well, onto the next test. :(

Take off the switch panel (near the handbrake). Test the switches. Continuity all good. Test the supply. 12V all good. Oh well, onto the next test. :(

Lets check the door connectors etc. and make sure there are no loose/broken wires.

Door panels off (look like they've been off before??), and this is what I'm confronted with (drivers side): -

Image :shock: :shock:

Image :shock: :shock:

Well, I've never taken a 480 door apart, but even I know Volvo didn't use wood to operate windows. Couldn't even see a Volvo part no. on it so maybe aftermarket?? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

So door full of roof insulation material, window held up by custom made wooden bodge and hold on, it's missing something. What could it be??? Ah I see, no window regulator!! :shock: :shock:

I thought maybe the regulator could be faulty, but missing!! :eek: That was a surprise I didn't expect.

Good news. Oh yes there is some. Door is totally rust free and I now know why the window doesn't work!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

So with trepidation, but knowing what I was going to find, I stripped the passenger door.

Surprise, surprise!! :nuts: :wall: :shock:

But at least this has a non-working regulator.

So I've stripped out the regulator to get refurbished, but I need to find one for the drivers side.

I see them on ebay for around £100. Advice on whether I should replace both with aftermarket new or refurb the one I have (via Joep I guess??) and find a 2nd hand for the missing door would be appreciated.

So feeling a bit fed up, I need some install gratification. Arthuy had sold me a digital clock and a set of gauges, so easy fit. Get them in and stop taking bits off the car!! Anyway, after a bit of a faff with the cubby hole, all good. Just need the sender now for the oil pressure.

Nice!!

While I have the doors apart, I might as well get the speakers sorted. Inspired by Jaster's recent post so might be asking a few questions.

So an eventful day, but at least I know how to get my windows working, so I'm happy. :D :D

Comments will be greatly received. I need a good laugh!! :wink: :wink:
1994 480GT - arrived!!

arthuy
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by arthuy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:35 am

definitely a case of Caveat emptor. On the plus side you can put these away in case the replacements ever fail.

I have a spare passenger side motor that works fine if that helps you out, the drivers side has already been claimed.

zapcity

Post by zapcity » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:57 am

Hi Colin,

Strange why someone would bodge it like this. Regulators are not expensive so a relatively cheap fix. New on ebay for £95.

Your offer would be great. Could you let me have a delivered price.

Thanks,

Marc.
1994 480GT - arrived!!

arthuy
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by arthuy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:50 pm

Might just be time and availability. I have done it myself whilst waiting for parts to turn up.

Meant to ask, did the battery gauge work ok?

zapcity

Post by zapcity » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:14 pm

Gauge and clock work great thanks.

Just need to find an oil pressure sender, but I think there are aftermarket ones I can use so should be an issue.
1994 480GT - arrived!!

zapcity

Post by zapcity » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:33 pm

Finally got the pollen filter installed. Thanks to Arthuy for supplying. ;)

I had to disassemble it and reglue it as it had come apart in a couple of places, but easy enough.

Found some filters online cheaply, so all installed.

I wondered what the clear plastic part was that Arthuy supplied, but didn't take much figuring out.

I guess this was an afterthought, as probably the pollen filters were getting wet through the intake. Anyway, the parts I have come from a LHD car, so the air intake insert wouldn't fit. In the end I made something myself from some old laminating pouches cut to fit. Not the best solution, but its not seen and does the job.

Before I got the original pollen filter housing from Arthuy, I'd sourced one from Hungary. Andras Gyongyosi (find him on the 480 facebook group) is remaking them, so he sent me one and a filter. All in 15000HUF (£40 ish) delivered.

Fits fine but does use a slightly different filter set-up. I'll fit this one to Rod's Celebration, as he's been after one for some time also.

Few pictures of the Hungarian remanufactred part and the original Volvo parts: -

Next up, get the front bumper assembled and fitted.
1994 480GT - arrived!!

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:18 am

Tell us more about this Hungarian supplier?

Do they make other 480 parts?‎
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

zapcity

Post by zapcity » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:12 am

András Gyöngyösi is remanufacturing the pollen filter and the front spoiler in Hungary.

Luckily I work with a Hungarian, so the dialogue was easy!!

The pollen filter housing comes with a filter for 15000HUF. He also remanufactures the front spoiler/splitter, but guess the postage would be expensive on this. Wayne's parts probably work out cheaper.

I was put onto András by László Norbert (both on facebook). Andras has the parts on stock, so I guess it's more than just a hobby business.
1994 480GT - arrived!!

WRDendy
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by WRDendy » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:01 am

I tend to get a blast of dry leaf particles to the face and eyes when I turn my fan on, and would be interested in a pollen filter housing or three. Would you be willing to organize a group buy if others are interested? If so then might be worth making a separate thread so as not to derail this one.
Formerly known as 'Jaster'
Current: '94 GT & '88 ES
Former: '89 ES

zapcity

Post by zapcity » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:26 am

Group buy sounds a great idea. I'll start a thread.
1994 480GT - arrived!!

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:45 pm

zapcity wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:26 am
Group buy sounds a great idea. I'll start a thread.
I'd hold off - I bought 2 and they flat out wont fit. :angry:

It'll be interested in hearing your experience fitting the one you have. My current plan is to try and obtain a new filter housing from the scuttle, and mould into the filter housing, as it's a country mile off fitting and communications with the seller have gone radio silent.

zapcity

Post by zapcity » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:30 pm

Can't believe it is such a long time since my last update.

A combination of work, changing jobs, work, commuting and more work has put everything on hold.

Had a great time at #Volvo600. Saw Tom's no.1 Celebration, met Sylvia and Al at last, saw at least 29 480s, saw a 7 series with a cow on the roof and a shedload of Volvo's I'd love to own.

I live in Ipswich but work in Wrexham. A pain in the backside 5 hour commute, with weekdays spent in hotels with the only upside being I can source 480 parts. Probably the only positve in the whole situation. So basically nothing has been done on the 480 since the end of last year.

I can tell I've not had my eye on the ball. While searching for the window regulators I found an unopened box containing front lights. Didn't even know I'd bought them!

Unfortunately 'Mivvy' as she is now affectionately known (comes from the numberplate but anyone old enough will also remember buying a Mivvy from the ice cream van!) had all doors stripped and front end removed last year but as yet, hasn't been reassembled.

I decided to take some additional holiday at Easter, so I've got 6 whole days set aside to work on cars. XC70 needs a service and the C70 needs a service and MOT. I don't think 6 days will cover it!

Today I started by fitting a new battery sourced from tayna.co.uk. Really good battery supplier and cheap too. Exide Premium 64Ah just £58. I put a cheap Lion battery from ECP on when I got the car, but over the winter it just died and couldn't be revived. Lesson learnt - buy cheap buy twice!

I need to ask if anyone has fitted a battery switch like this: -

I've considered it but I don't think it would fit on the negative due to lack of space, so would need to go on the positive lead.

Started with the door rebuild this morning. The advantage of having no window regulators is it makes fitting the sound deadening easy! It's really handy that a 480 door is exactly the same height as 2 sheets of material, so managed to fill the whole outer panel. As reported earlier I am shamlessly copying Jaster's method of replacing the speakers with Pioneer components driven by the original head unit.

So far so good. I have the tweeters modified and in the kitchen ready for fitting tomorrow. It took a while to clean off the old glue from the non-existent door aperature sealing plastic panels. I know it's not seen, but I would have known!
Hopefully, I can have the doors rebuilt tomorrow. I've tested, cleaned and greased up my regulators and they work which is a relief.

Rather than put her away every night, I bought a cheap cover from eBay. Saves all the fuss of car moving. Not bad for £20.

Will carry on tomorrow and report back. Got to keep the momentum going!!
1994 480GT - arrived!!

mathrock
480 Newbie

Post by mathrock » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:24 am

I would definitely recommend against installing the battery cutoff switch on the positive side. It's a spark/fire/safety hazard as you significantly increase the surface area that contains the positive voltage. I successfully installed one on my negative side. I'll try to take a picture and post back.

arthuy
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by arthuy » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:28 am

I have one fitted too.

It is tight but does fit on the Negative terminal.

Buy one from a reputable supplier, there are low quality ones one sale. I think mine were dis-car-nect ones.

zapcity

Post by zapcity » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:56 pm

Thanks guys. Any pictures would be useful.
1994 480GT - arrived!!

mathrock
480 Newbie

Post by mathrock » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:20 pm

Here's a couple pictures of the battery cutoff installed on the negative terminal. My car has a non-original negative ground cable (it came that way when I bought it, it's on the list to replace at some point).

zapcity

Post by zapcity » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:23 pm

Thanks mathrock. Much appreciated. :D

I'll have a look tomorrow and see if I can get it fitted.
1994 480GT - arrived!!

zapcity

Post by zapcity » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:00 pm

So I finally have 2 working electric windows!

The install of working regulators was very easy. Took the time to clean and grease up the mechanisms as they looked a bit dry. Inner door hinge rollers greased too while accessible.

I've installed the woofers into the door cards and the tweeters and crossovers into the doors. All tested and working fine. Really easy to do.
Woofers needed a little bit of the fixing bracket removing to allow them to fit flat onto the door pocket mounting.

Speaker bracket fouls on moulding (at top of picture) on door pocket moulded boss.

Speaker bracket filed flat to allow speaker to sit flat.

I did also have to modify the tweeter fitment into the door handle. I just removed a small amount of plastic with a dremel to allow the tweeter to sit flat, then a small dab of araldite to secure. Diameter is an exact match.

Now the windows and speakers are sorted I cleaned up the plastic speaker/door inserts. These were missing on my car so I sourced some others. These had previously been fixed in with mastic so took an hour each to clean up. Not the best but will do the job.
I fitted the fablon sticky backed plastic over the larger door apertures. Wasn't sure whqt this looked like but found a picture of another door and used this as inspiration. As Jaster suggested, I used a paper template and went from there.
Smaller holes masked with tape.

I had to remove all the old sticky from the door. Again, about an hour for each door. I know it's not seen but I would know so wanted it clean.
I'm missing all but one door card clips along to bottom of the door. Thankfully Marianne has found some for me and these are in the post.

Driver door just needs a little more insulation as I ran out. 20 sheets wasn't enough so more in the post. Rear speakers and insulation still to do.

It has been a lot of work, but hopefully this is the doors sorted for the future. If the car hi-fi doesn't sound like the Albert Hall now I'll be bloody annoyed!

Bumper assembly tomorrow!
1994 480GT - arrived!!

zapcity

Post by zapcity » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:50 pm

Finally got the front bumper assembled and back onto the car today. Pictures to follow.

Location bracket inside the bumper had a pop rivet missing allowing it to rotate. Probably the reason it didn't sit straight to the wing originally.

Bit of a sod to fix as the rivet gun wouldn't fit without drilling out another rivet first. The rivets I had weren't long enough, so a trip to Screwfix resulted. Had to buy a set of 900 rivets just to get 2. Only £10 and I'll never run out again!!

Drilled out this top rivet first to move the main bracket out of the way.

Allowed access to missing rivet hole that secures a small metal mounting bracket to bumper. How/why it was missing is baffling.
Pic. shows rivet in place.

Finally replaced drilled out rivet and all secure now.

So i still have a few screws to fit, but basically all the main items in place.

Fitting the bumper support bar is a real arse! Other than that a dry assemble off the car was a real help.

Try as I might, I couldn't get the aftermarket GRP lip spoiler to fit. Just not flexible enough, so I'll look at getting the original repaired.

The spire clips I purchased were to narrow to fit the thickness of the front bumper (spoiler and grille fixings), so reused to old ones I'd saved and ordered some new chimney nuts for the outer fixings. The holes for the fog light bottom screw doesn't line up well with the grille fixing holes. Takes some manouvering, so not happy with this yet. Maybe this is always an issue?

DRL/indicator assys. are a little worse for wear. DRL covers opaque and starting to crack, and curved indicator lenses delaminating from the plastic backing. WIll refurb with Joep's lenses and Jaster's method.

Found the seat belt arm was broken, so have sourced a replacement from Marianne again!

So I've had a really successful weekend. I'm about 90% done to being MOTable. Still aiming for Derbyshire, but any MOT issues and i'll be done.
1994 480GT - arrived!!