My 480 life is just beginning!

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

zapcity
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

My 480 life is just beginning!

Post by zapcity » Tue May 08, 2018 10:53 am

Hi All,

I thought it was about time I started a thread to document my trials and tribulations as a new 480 owner.

I’ve used the forum to great effect since I joined in Nov’ 2016 (thanks to you all), and have abused the help of dcwalker (thanks David), who has been my chief source of 480 knowledge and advice.

First, a bit of background, so either skip to the good bits or read on to see why I’ve ended up here amongst the few!

I started looking for a 480 approximately 18 months ago. I've always wanted a classic car, and should have bought a P1800 about 10 years ago.
I was offered a really nice P1800 for £8K (around the time Ed China did a lovely white example on Wheeler Dealers), but didn’t have the money, so passed it up. I’ve seen P1800's rise past £25K now, so way past what I'm prepared to spend, especially as SHMBO :wife: wants an extension!

The missus has always been a Volvo fan, and won’t drive anything else. She had a 480ES brand new in 1987. I’ll post a picture as soon as I can find it. She said it went back a few times to the dealer because of water leaks, what a surprise!

So as a P1800 was not an option, I looked for alternatives. A C70 Coupe T5 manual in Saffron yellow?, Amazon?, but then I remembered a Black Turbo 480 I nearly bought in the mid-90’s.

Since switching from an Audi A3 a few years ago, I have a few more Volvos than I need, but selling is so difficult. I’ve a C70 coupe convertible which is a pain most of the time, but when the roof is down you forgive it everything. An XC70 which is the world’s best workhorse and my daily driver. Also, the wife has an XC60 which she loves, so adding a 480 seemed logical. I might now have four Volvos which seems excessive, but the value of all my cars combined is less than the price of a new V40. It's a cheaper hobby than golf! :zzz:

So the search began! Through a friend, I found a local chap about 15 miles away who has a big garden and workshop and half a dozen 480s. He’s currently restoring a turbo shell up, so that will be cool when finished. He also had a Celebration (no. 480) which was in good condition that he wanted to sell. I planned to buy this but when he wanted £4K I politely walked away. As far as I know it’s still for sale.

I ventured around the UK looking at many a 480. A rusted out Celebration in Bristol for £2K was a long wasted trip, plus a look at the GT that Richard Keeble has just bought. A nice red low mileage example owned by lovely Bobbie Prior (a Peugeot 306 fan by the way!) off the Radio 2 Simon Mayo show. She was regrettably selling her father’s beloved 480 as he had recently passed away. I would have bought this but I had just viewed the car I eventually purchased.

You might remember it being on eBay. It is a 37K mile green 480 GT, and was up for £4480!! I remember everyone joking about the price at the time, me included.

Anyway, it was only up the road from me on the Suffolk/Norfolk border, so last July I went and had a look as I had nothing to lose. It was in great condition with a full service history. A real gem I thought, although I’d not seen too many 480’s to compare it with. Original arches, no paintwork and no rust whatsoever.

The brakes didn’t work nor did the windows and mirrors, the splitter had a chunk missing, but everything else was very good. Previous owner had just spent over £2k at Jacksons within the last 700 miles on 4 new Michelins, cambelt and tensioners, starter motor, earth strap, service etc., so mechanically it was very good. Also Jacksons had removed the old immobiliser which was great.

The documentation was immaculate. One owner from new until 2015 with full stamped up service book all at Bells Volvo, Northampton. Itemised listing of every service too! Second owner seemingly didn’t drive it, just spent £2k at Jacksons which made my purchase price justifiable, then it was purchased at auction by the chap I purchased it off. He’s an auctioneer for Manheim, so no surprise he saw it and realised it was worth buying. I guess at auction it made a fraction of its market value.

I told the seller he was being optimistic at £4480 which he did know, and I offered him what I thought was fair and left it at that.

I kept in touch as I always thought I might get a call back, as the queue of people looking for 480’s is not exactly long. One Sunday I got a text asking if I was still interested, and we settled on a sensible price (he wanted £3K and I wanted to pay £2.5k. You can guess where we met), and that was that. I became a 480 owner.

What I hadn’t realised (well I had but excitement got the better of me) is that I had nowhere to put this new 480. My drive was full of Volvos, and the garage was full of junk and had been since we moved in in 1990 something!

So the first job was to renovate the garage into a home fit for a 480. The seller who had a barn full of modern classics, kindly agreed to keep the 480 for me until I was ready to collect, so I started on the garage project.

To cut a long story short you can see the garage renovation project on Detailing World if that’s your bag: -
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/s ... p?t=405058

Best now to admit that I just love car detailing. :bla: If I was younger I’d make a career out of it. I can’t wait to get the 480 up to standard, so I will be doing a write up as I go. It’s hard to keep on top of the cars, especially the daily drivers, but I try.

I know some see car cleaning as a chore, but for others (me included) it really does hit the spot. Parking my 10 year old C70 next to a brand new car worth 10 times as much, and mine looking much better really makes me feel the effort is worth it.

The garage project took longer than I expected to complete (and cost as much as the 480!), so along with some family issues that took up a lot of time, it wasn’t until April 2018 I could get the 480 back home.

I hired a trailer and picked up the 480 and dropped it straight off at a local mechanic. If you need a Volvo expert and fan (he has a beautiful early 240 estate) and you are in the Suffolk area, then Bugsy’s Autos in Bucklesham is your man. Real old school passion and service.

Bugsy kept it for a few days and checked it over. A few days later I got a call that it had passed the MOT with no advisories. Just need the brakes bleeding, a service, a bulb and a new battery. Great news!

So after a 2 year process, I finally ended up with a 480 in my garage. How easy was that!!

Next thing is to check it over and create a list of jobs that need doing. I’m a Project Engineer by day, so I need a list and a plan otherwise I can’t operate. I'll add this in my next post.

I know this is a much simpler project than what many of you have and are undertaking. I can only look on and admire those that rebuild their cars from scratch, or save an unloved 480 from the breakers. Given the time and facilities, I’d probably do the same.

So being realistic, my plan all along was to find the best 480 I could, and keep it as original as I can. It will be a summer only car, but I will use it, enjoy it and proudly spread the word.

Hope to meet up soon. Marc.
Last edited by zapcity on Wed May 09, 2018 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1994 480GT - arrived!!
XC60 and XC70 for the daily grind.
C70 Coupé Convertible for the sunny days. Should sell it but can't!

WRDendy
Can tell where the 480 was built

Re: My 480 life is just beginning!

Post by WRDendy » Tue May 08, 2018 11:36 am

Another green GT! Hopefully our cars will meet in real life at some point, until then:

Interesting to see that yours has a sunroof as well - I have been lead to believe in the past that this was unusual on GTs and Celebs. Is yours electric or manual? Mine is manual, which I think was an option on the S cars. I do sometimes miss the moonroof cover that the electric ones have, but the other 90% of the time I really like having it there. Makes the interior feel much bigger. Mine is siliconed shut to prevent leaks (which it would otherwise have plenty of), so if yours is watertight then make the most of it!
Formerly known as 'Jaster'
Current: '94 GT & '88 ES
Former: '89 ES

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Tue May 08, 2018 11:55 am

Welcome. Bet it will look great when you've done all the detailing!

Why don't you join us this weekend for our little meet?

1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

zapcity

Post by zapcity » Tue May 08, 2018 12:02 pm

The roof was fitted 5 days after registration by the supplying dealer for the grand sum of £300.

£16235.08 new in 1993. The equates to £32k today. One expensive car!!

I havent found any sunroof leaks yet!

I'ts a hand wind job. Looks very well fitted. The whole glass slides back over the roof (not internal) when open. Or you can just pop up the back. It also has two pull over covers (one driver, one passenger) if you dont like the light.

Hopefully we can all get together soon, although I have alot of polishing to do first!!

I'd love to get to the meet this weekend, but just can't do it unfortunately (work). Planning for the southern meet as organised by Sylvia. I've got so many questions to ask, and it will be easier when you can't run away!!
1994 480GT - arrived!!

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Tue May 08, 2018 12:07 pm

I'm looking forward to FOUR green GTs in October, unless hubby decides they are too common and brings his turbo instead! Actually, with all the detailing you plan I think ours will stay at home out of sheer embarrassment...
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

zapcity

Post by zapcity » Tue May 08, 2018 2:37 pm

As I said before I need a list and a plan, so here it is: -

I'm sure this will grow as I discover things, but that's part of the fun of it.

Most of these don't require parts. All I need so far are: -
Speaker pod - sourced
Heater knob pyramid shape - to be sourced
Period correct number plates - sourced
Wheel bolts x 4 - to be sourced

If anyone can assist with the RED items I'd be grateful.

The small rust patch in the jack well is just surface but I’ll get this sorted.

The spare wheel well looks odd to me but this might be normal (maybe someone can advise). I guess I should be able to see the road through the rubber bung on the right (which I can). A water drain hole by any chance!!

I’ve seen this gasket misplaced on a lot of cars. Need to sort as it doesn’t look good.

I think this is a common door panel problem. Haven't investigated yet but needs fixing.

Speaker pod cracked. Replacement on its way from Werrington1.

Locking wheel nut issue annoying. Will need to destroy to remove but not a bad thing. Will use a normal bolt.

Front number plate cracked. Replacements sorted by DMB Graphics with dealer logos and pre-2001 font. Thanks for the recommend.

Broken wire (yellow) on alternator small white connector. Don't know what this does yet!

Mechanicals that I can't do will go to Bugsy's Autos, Bucklesham.
For the paint requirements and wheel refurbs I'll use AW Smart Repairs at Waldringfield. Strange name as they don't do smart repairs! Quality job though. Aim is to keep as much original paint as possible.
AC check/repair by AC Autoworks, Capel St. Mary.
Stainless steel exhaust at some point from Demand Engineering. Not urgent though. Bottom of the list.

That's my summer sorted then.
1994 480GT - arrived!!

eye of ra

Post by eye of ra » Tue May 08, 2018 2:39 pm

zapcity wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 12:02 pm
I'ts a hand wind job. Looks very well fitted. The whole glass slides back over the roof (not internal) when open. Or you can just pop up the back. It also has two pull over covers (one driver, one passenger) if you dont like the light.
Ahh a Volvo dealer fitted roof that slides back outside the car, that might explain the pictures I found of such a roof and then thought my factory fit electric roof had a fault.

Like the sound of independent sun blinds.
Current:
480 ES Auto 1989
480 Celebration 187
480 ES Auto 1991
CLK430 Conv 2001
Hyundai i10 2015

eye of ra

Post by eye of ra » Tue May 08, 2018 2:54 pm

From 1989 car but might be this. I'd call it red though.

Last edited by eye of ra on Tue May 08, 2018 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current:
480 ES Auto 1989
480 Celebration 187
480 ES Auto 1991
CLK430 Conv 2001
Hyundai i10 2015

eye of ra

Post by eye of ra » Tue May 08, 2018 3:34 pm

Just had a look at my other car and don't think my last picture will help much. Different alternator and it plugs in at a different position so dug out my alternator to get a better angle.

Both my cars alternators have the brown plug but positioned in different places.
Current:
480 ES Auto 1989
480 Celebration 187
480 ES Auto 1991
CLK430 Conv 2001
Hyundai i10 2015

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Tue May 08, 2018 4:06 pm

You can get the heater control knobs from Skandix if you don't mind paying 9 euros each plus post. If yours are brown and gungy looking, you can sand them smooth then give a coat of grey paint.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

zapcity

Post by zapcity » Wed May 09, 2018 7:22 am

Thanks all.

I noticed the knobs on Scandix.

9 euro is not exacty cheap, but as I only need one then its ok.

What is annoying in the 18 euro postage.

Probably need a large order to make them viable. A group buy would make them about 10 euro each.
1994 480GT - arrived!!

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Wed May 09, 2018 11:50 am

Sorry for the slow reaction - struggling to get on here much at the moment.

So pleased to see this thread: 4 green GTs together at one of our meets will almost amount to a takeover bid :D

Picking up on a few points:

You haven't abused my help at all, it's been a pleasure! I look forward to seeing the car for real!

That yellow wire to the alternator should be the wire for the red light on the dashboard I think

Yes, you should be able to see the road through the rubber bung, which is a drain hole. Pop it out and check the actual hole in the metal isn't rusted around the edge...

Can't see your spare wheel but it should be a skinny special spare, with a grey centre.

The seal in the high level brake light is a matter of removing the unit and trying to slide it back to the outer edge. May need some new double-sided tape under it. Bits will probably break off but at long as you are left with the bulk of it out around the edges it will do its job. Clean the window while the unit is removed...

Door car is on plastic poppers - either they are missing (I should have some I think) or else the holes have become too enlarged, which becomes a case then of trying to push them back down into a smaller size...

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Wed May 09, 2018 12:11 pm

Just chiming in to add:

1) LOVED the garage build thread - I'd say copy and paste it over here, as its a cracking read.
2) LOVE the car - damn you people with shiney paint.....

zapcity

Post by zapcity » Wed May 09, 2018 12:22 pm

Thanks all for the comments and help.

The garage build was great fun. Having a clean, functional space to keep the car is such a benefit. I'm very fortunate.
1994 480GT - arrived!!

zapcity

Post by zapcity » Sat May 19, 2018 9:32 pm

So had a full day working on the 480. Wife came up with the nickname of 'Mivvy' after the numberplate letters, so that's what she will now be known as from now on.

Started with checking all fuses and swapping out those of the wrong value. I guess a previous owner used the spares even if they were the wrong value. Fuse 23 is listed as 'bridge' in HBOL, which I guess means a link. Can anyone confirm?

Then moved onto at the front bumper. It was slightly out of line offside where it meets the front wing and the spiltter was broken. Took the decision to remove, so I could re-align and its scuffed on the corners so it can go to the paint shop while its off.

Bearing in mind this was the first time I've taken a 480 apart, removing the bumper wasn't too difficult. The three screws securing the underneath to the chassis were all missing. The lower nuts holding on the main fixing studs to the chassis are a sod to get to, but all in it took a couple of hours. Few schooloy errors. Couldn't work out why the pop-us didn't work. Bonnet open doh! :wall:

The spitter fixing screws were all rusted solid (again some were missing), so WD40 and a hacksaw were employed. The two bolts at either end were the same. Same method.

Now need to source the little clips that secure the self tappers. Anyone know what they are called, as I guess these are commonly available?

Fogs and grille removed too. I'm not sure about removing the bumper inner box section. It's not rusty apart from the towing eye, so tempted to leave it in place. Thoughts?

Any advice on this would be appreciated, as while it's off, I might as well do the best job I can.

Then I refitted the bumper to check the alignment, as I didn't want to have to sort this with fresh paint. Had to adjust the small white block which locates the bumper nearest the drivers door. Had to slot the hole slighlty to get enough movement. 3 or 4 tries and it's much better. Panel gaps are not like modern cars on a 480!

I will clean up all of the removed bits in the week, so when I get the bumper back it can be reassembled. Just need a big box of self tappers!

Next I decided to clean up the chassis etc. behind the bumper while I have the chance. Used a 10:1 mix of APC and a brush, and Autosmart Tardis on the greasy bits. All looked in very good condition. Minor rust but as I've noting to compare against, maybe you can comment. All pics before cleaning.

Next, took off the ICV and cleaned using carb cleaner. Fair bit of black goo came out, so hopefully my tickover will be improved. Very easy DIY job.
Started car to check and tickover at 1600rpm. After checking on forum it seems the outside temp sensor removal affects this. Display in car reads outside temp of -40!!

Getting late, so didn't dare start the big bodywork clean. Had a quick go at the engine bay instead. Used engine degreaser, APC and AS Tardis. I'm used to cleaning modern diesel engines, so normally just spray away liberally and rinse with a hose. Not sure on a older petrol, so took it easy. Cleaned all the wings, and the big space in between the engine and the windscreen. Couldn't fathom out why there is no filter or cover on the air intake except for a flimsy piece of plastic and a pointless metal bar bolted over the top (see picture below). Area was full of crap, so carefull took everything apart and cleaned making sure nothing dropped into the fan (I guess that's what it is at the bottom).

Engine bay is now much cleaner but will need 3 or 4 more hits to get it where it needs to be. The spiral wrapping on the cables are crispy and dirty so will replace. Plus a few tie wraps needed to secure a few loose wires.

So tomorrow will start on the big paintwork clean. More to follow.
1994 480GT - arrived!!

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Sat May 19, 2018 9:40 pm

good stuff.

i feel jealous, much less rust than on ours :-(

PS as you will see if look carefully, the 'pointless' strap actually holds the heater fan in place :-)
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

arthuy
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by arthuy » Sun May 20, 2018 1:21 am

if you google spire clips you should find them. I just bought a set in ebay for my Landrover floor.

Cracking work, I need to get my bumper off too so nice to see the photos.

zapcity

Post by zapcity » Sun May 20, 2018 7:15 am

Spire clips. Thanks for the info. ;)
1994 480GT - arrived!!

zapcity

Post by zapcity » Sun May 20, 2018 7:12 pm

So the next chapter begins...

After yesterday's mechanicals, today starts the cleaning process. This car has been very well looked after but it's been washed badly and probably not polished in 24 years.

Quite a few bird etchings and some touch-ups (which is to be expected), and lots and lots of washing swirls.

Sometimes these can be impossible to get rid of, but will only find out when I start the polishing process.

Plan is to totally decontaminate the paintwork and then polish. Polishing is going to take some time, but I've got lots of it hopefully!

Skip the next bit if car cleaning leaves you cold! This is just my way of detailing. A keen amateur. Pros can do this much quicker but they have the facilities and equipment. You can still get a great result with time and effort and a few specialist products and tools.

Wheels won't be done yet, as these will be removed to clean and also clean the arches.

Start with a pressure washer and snow foam lance. Couple of coats and leave for 5 mins then rinse. The snow foam I have at the moment is pants. Good snow foam will sit on the car for ages and really loosen the dirt. Mine does both badly!

Next step is to clean all the shut lines, badges, crevices etc. Just use a standard paint brush with masking tape wrapped around the metal ferrule and diluted APC. Cheap stuff is fine. I use Aldi's! Rinse again.

Next chemical decontamination continues. Auto Finesse Iron Out sprayed liberally to remove contamination, wash and rinse. Follow with Auto Finesse Oblitarate to remove tar spots etc. Wash and rinse again.

On to mechanical decontamination or claying. I use Bilt Hamber clay as it only needs water as a lubricant. Too tight to use quick detailer! All over the paintwork took about 1.5 hours but really got rid of the tree sap etc. Wash and dry.

Paintwork now clean, smooth and ready for polishing. So just need to tape up th trim to stop it getting burned if the polishing pad touches it. Some 3M masking tape does the trick. Mirror cap missing as its gone with the bumper for repainting.

Will start the polishing process next weekend. I just use a Megs G220 Dual Action polisher. Not as quick as a rotary polisher but safe. One thing you can't do with paintwork is get a decent finish by hand polishing. It's machine polishing or nothing, so a DA polisher is great for the amateur.

Can't wait for the weekend!
1994 480GT - arrived!!

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Mon May 21, 2018 8:15 am

Starting to look really good Marc! :D

Rust levels are fine, nothing to worry about there.

Take care when re-fitting the bumper as the side plastic clips can get brittle with age and snap if they are twisted about too much.

Fuse 23 is indeed a bridge - I don't know exactly how it is wired in but if (as I did years ago, out of curiosity) you remove it you'll find that the info centre doesn't work!

Oh yes - and the fan intake does look odd, although that grille does prevent a lot of rubbish getting down there when the bonnet is closed. The metal bracket does indeed hold all that stuff in place - what you need, if you can find it (hen's teeth, good luck, and no you can't have mine), is the pollen filter housing that fits on there. Once it has a filter sitting on top of it all it doesn't look quite so strange!

Keep up the good work and enjoy!

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!