My second 480...... project 'sleeper'

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Ade
Can tell where the 480 was built

Re: My second 480...... project 'sleeper'

Post by Ade » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:32 pm

Oh yeah, the VERY first thing I connected was the clutch cable and it felt sweeeeeeeet! :hopping:
O.C. 480 D.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:06 am

Fantastic progress! Do you get to tinker on it during the week or just weekends?

Got yourself a tick sheet of jobs to do? I tend to spend the works days with ideas or "mustn't forget"s running round my head, so like to get them jotted down.

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:03 pm

I'll need to see if that wee pivot is there on mine, i know it was missing off the bottom end of the SS1 assembly, and I had the same sort of issues, REALLY heavy clutch pedal, even resorted to a pedal extension so that teh Mrs could work the pedal! fixed it and now clutch is lovely; shame can't get first in cold weather cos some chump :shock: (ie me) topped up the gearbox with EP 80 not the ATF it should have been filled with (and no drain plug . . . .)
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

Ade

Post by Ade » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:00 pm

jifflemon wrote:Fantastic progress! Do you get to tinker on it during the week or just weekends?

Got yourself a tick sheet of jobs to do? I tend to spend the works days with ideas or "mustn't forget"s running round my head, so like to get them jotted down.
There's nothing stopping me going up to the unit after work and it's not that far away but it is in the opposite direction to home so I can't always be bothered with the extra journey. I do sometimes but most of the time once I finish work I just feel like coming home and chilling! Even I get sick of the sight of engines from time to time :lol:

As for your second comment, I ain't that organised mate! I am however a highly qualified expert in the fields of 'quality bodgery' and 'winging it' :rofl: I hone these skills daily running a toolroom that's supporting 8 dynos, a CNC production workshop, 2 assembly shops (one sub, one final) and everything else that goes into manufacturing and testing a race engine and its associated ancillaries! Believe me, there's a lot of 'quality bodgery' and 'winging it' required to keep it all running smoothly, especially on the dynos.... What works on CAD doesn't always pan out so smooth in the metal, no matter how good the designer!

I'll know there's nothing left to do when I drive it out of the workshop, until then 'the plan' is some sort of weird, wonderful and somewhat random firing of various petrol fuelled synapses in my brain that roughly translate into the series of actions required to achieve my desired outcome! Rather than referring to a sensible 'to do' list, I have 11th hour realisations and go "oh shit, xyz abc needs doing, like yesterday!" as some brainwave gives me a little poke from deep within :nuts:

Alan- I reckon your heavy clutch could be a similar issue if there's no obvious reason for it, definitely have a look what's going on, maybe get someone to operate the pedal while you have a look what's happening down there.

Had a new apprentice join the department today so I decided that his first 'training job' ought to be the fuel fitting that I need to join my new pipe up to the existing line in the car. It's not quite done yet but he's made a nice start on it, got the tricky bit out the way anyway, the screwcutting of the required M14x1.5 thread and machining a nice 60 degree cone to make the fitting seal

I'm gonna get him to part it off to length and turn a hose tail on the other end to which I can clamp the plastic fuel line in the car and then get him on the bridgeport with the dividing head to make a nice hexagon for a spanner on the flange. Gotta make the most of the 'training jobs' right!?!? Won't be long before he'll be doing 'proper' work so need to get as many training (interpret training as 480) bits made in work time as I can! Once I have this fitting, there's nothing in terms of parts standing in the way of firing it up once all is assembled so I'm hoping to get a first fire up this weekend, even if it's not all totally finished and tidied up, I'm just keen to see it running after being in so many bits for so long! Assuming I have a successful first fire up this weekend, my upcoming week off can be spent putting all the nice finishing touches and making sure everything is just right in preparation for commissioning it as my new daily driver :D

Then I can dive head first into taking this saab to bits and offering the running gear into 'old faithful'. Should be, shall we say, interesting!
O.C. 480 D.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:56 pm

Ade wrote:Had a new apprentice join the department today so I decided that his first 'training job' ought to be the fuel fitting that I need to join my new pipe up to the existing line in the car. It's not quite done yet but he's made a nice start on it, got the tricky bit out the way anyway, the screwcutting of the required M14x1.5 thread and machining a nice 60 degree cone to make the fitting seal

I'm gonna get him to part it off to length and turn a hose tail on the other end to which I can clamp the plastic fuel line in the car and then get him on the bridgeport with the dividing head to make a nice hexagon for a spanner on the flange. Gotta make the most of the 'training jobs' right!?!? Won't be long before he'll be doing 'proper' work so need to get as many training (interpret training as 480) bits made in work time as I can! Once I have this fitting, there's nothing in terms of parts standing in the way of firing it up once all is assembled so I'm hoping to get a first fire up this weekend, even if it's not all totally finished and tidied up, I'm just keen to see it running after being in so many bits for so long! Assuming I have a successful first fire up this weekend, my upcoming week off can be spent putting all the nice finishing touches and making sure everything is just right in preparation for commissioning it as my new daily driver :D

Then I can dive head first into taking this saab to bits and offering the running gear into 'old faithful'. Should be, shall we say, interesting!
I suspect I'm not the only one on this board thinking your apprentice needs to make a few more of those pipes up..... you know, *purely* for the practice :rofl:

Ade

Post by Ade » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:41 pm

We didn't make the pipe up, I found that lying around in the 'surplus crap from old dyno projects' area, it was the fitting to attach it to I had him make. Needs a hose tail one end so I can chop the plastic fuel pipe under the car and attach it and then the M14 + cone on the other so I can screw the pipe onto it, unfortunately it's not quite long enough to do the full run. I've only had to do this because Mr Renault 5 chopped the bloody fitting off the end of the supply hose and this seemed like an easy and tidy solution as well as giving me a nice looking fuel line, albeit not right back to the tank. The line is about 1.5m long so my joint will be somewhere in the middle of the underside.

We do have kits for making up similar pipes but with compression joints as opposed to the crimped fitting you see on this one, we don't have the tooling to crimp a line like this (it's rated to 200 bar, it's from an old indycar V6 and they run silly fuel pressure with D.I.) but the compression joints are good, the only snag is that they're all AN dash fittings (ie UNF threads and imperial hose sizes) so no good on the 480 unfortunately. I was lucky to find the metric one laying around, there's still a lot of UNF and UNJ (which is UNF/C/S with a controlled root radius for ultimate strength) in use in motor racing, especially on fittings, don't get me wrong, there's enough metric too but nevertheless a perhaps surprising amount of imperial stuff still in use, I guess I could make up some UN to metric adapter fittings and change out the whole lot but I'm happy enough with the solution I have. I'm sure metric hose kits are available but such things aren't cheap as they are generally specced for aircraft use (I know our imperial ones are) and that means ££££££££££££££! We have got banjos for the AN stuff but again it's a case of 'how far do you want to go'. In this case, far enough to have a nice, solid, reliable car, not obscene overkill! The obscene overkill comes later when the Saab engine goes in the blue one ;) Keep all your fingers crossed for me for the weekend, hoping to get her running!
O.C. 480 D.

Ade

Post by Ade » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:52 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzN5rBeGLUs

Check it out! :hopping:

Still lots to do, this literally had just what it needed to fire and run for a few seconds to make sure the install of the management was successful and that I now have a runner!

Obviously sorted the fuel line and put oil in

But that was about it, and air intake plumbing back as far as the MAF of course, albeit 'loosely'. ECU's are in the footwell at the moment too, still loads of bits to go back on, there's no aux belt or alternator, no rad so no coolant, hence just a few seconds running, downpipe only (quite like the noise :) ), no battery tray, no washer bottle or expansion tank and I could go on and on. Bare bones for brief engine running basically. Cranked it for like 30 secs without the king lead to circulate oil and fuel and then it started up lovely! I have started working on tidying, routing and resecuring the various looms that run through the engine bay which has proved slow work as the large REUSABLE cable ties that secure the trunks of wiring were considerately CUT :angry: by the previous '480 butcher' and so I have had to come up with a solution which involves reusing just the 'snap in' bit of the original cable tie with the rest cut away, an M4 cap screw and a large cable tie with a hole drilled in it.... I'm sure you get the gist. Nice solution but tedious and time consuming. I'm taking my time sorting the wiring and the plumbing out anyway, I want a nice finish to the engine bay, I don't want it to look thrown together, rather assembled with care and attention to detail and now that I've seen it come to life I have the motivation to crack on and get it finished to a nice standard.

Oh yeah, the Saab has very kindly started taking itself to pieces for me too :lol:

I left my backbox behind on the road yesterday morning :eek: Despite driving a 480 for the past five years, this is the first time I've had to turn around and go and pick up a large piece of the car I'm driving...
O.C. 480 D.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:01 pm

Excellent news on the startup!

Re: the cables ties - would these be any good?

If you need any random hoses tracing, give me a shout, more than happy to open the bonnet of mine and look.

However, I don't think you can avoid the "thrown together" look - Its how volvo did it! :lol:

Edit: I mean, come on, look at it - Hardly neat and tidy!

Ade

Post by Ade » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:43 pm

Thanks dude although I'm pretty well sorted as far as the plumbing goes, I've worked on this engine in it's original installation for the last five years, I've had it out before to do the clutch, done 2 timing belts on it, serviced it etc etc. I know it well ;)

Also, your engine bay is quite different to mine, I think your car is newer, mine doesn't have aircon or evap, has the older style brake servo and ABS over on the other side. My original turbo is a H plate, august 1990 registration and is going into a similar age car, a may 1990 G plate, so only three months between first registration, don't know about manufacture though, might see if I can find anything out from the vin numbers. There is a difference between the two cars and that is emission control. My original 480 that donated this engine did not have a cat or evap and I know that this car was as good as original when I got it, it was a one owner from new, 60k, full main dealer history, stacks of expensive bills and it belonged an old boy (a Doctor no less) who had owned it since 1990 until he died. I bought it from his daughter in 2012. It was the right money because it was #a bit rusty# :( Later discovered it must have been wet in the boot for years... :eek: Lots of welding ensued and the car is now essentially solid and would continue passing mots for a few years rust wise but still tatty looking and 'surface rusty' in places and, if the car is to be preserved properly, in need of deeper work, kind of making it a good candidate for a unique conversion project, truly re engineer it from the ground up.

Anyway, the black G plate that now has that lovely engine (I wish I'd have taken a photo of the bores, visible honing marks at 150k :) #5k oil changes and gentle when cold) was originally fitted with emission control, even though it appears from registration dates that it is the older of the 2??? It has the lambda turbo badge on the pillar and the charcoal canister hidden behind the front bumper along with some extra hoses and I assume would have had a cat and lambda sensor along with some extra wiring for the evap control. My loom and engine have none of this so I'm going to install it as it was and do away with the extra gubbins. I think it has the emissions light on the cluster too whereas the H plate hasn't.

Oh yeah, the cable tie things are all good but they still wouldn't solve the problem of attaching the cable tie to the original hole in the bodywork, the holes are too big for a screw that would fit in those, you need something like what was on the original ties that pops into the hole and then gets locked by a pin in the middle, the hole's about 6mm diameter and the original locking pin 4mm. I thought about screwing into these, you know, like a wall plug, but the sort of screws I had around me were too small, 4mm hole is quite large for your average screw it seems! Then I thought of using the 4mm cap screw, I happened to have quite a few of them around me and although the threads didn't quite bite properly in the plastic, which would have been nice, it was a snug enough fit to do the job required of it. I know I could have drilled new holes etc but it was nice to find a workable, tidy solution that even reused part of the original, cut ties back into the same holes. And yes, I'm sure you can buy cable ties with the right kind of attachment point on them but you must know what I'm like by now from reading about my journey so far, that I like to find 'on the spot' solutions to my problems through creativity rather than wait for some package of ebay shite to turn up! I like to rely upon no one but myself when confronted with a technical challenge, call it engineers arrogance, we always think we can 'do better' or 'do different but good enough', even with seemingly such insignificant things as how one goes about attaching their cable ties to their bodywork!
O.C. 480 D.

Ade

Post by Ade » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:11 pm

Just for interest-

Black G plate

Entered VIN: xlbex193elc557705
Manufacturer code xlb Volvo Cars Netherlands
Car type e Volvo 480
Safety standard x 3 point seat belts
Engine type 19 B18FT-107
Transmission type 3 5-speed manual gearbox
Verification e Europe
Modelyear l 1990
Factory c NedCar, Born (Netherlands)
Chassisnumber 557705 Perhaps car 8704 constructed in 1990.

Blue H plate

Entered VIN: xlbex063elc557399
Manufacturer code xlb Volvo Cars Netherlands
Car type e Volvo 480
Safety standard x 3 point seat belts
Engine type 06 B18FT(M)-107
Verification e Europe
Modelyear l 1990
Factory c NedCar, Born (Netherlands)
Chassisnumber 557399 Perhaps car 8398 constructed in 1990.

Clearly different variants of the B18FT and, contrary to the registration marks, it would seem that the black one is actually newer, if only a few hundred places behind on the production line, it must have been registered a lot sooner after manufacture than the blue one. My poor blue 480! I'm just imagining it sitting around a volvo dealership, unwanted, unloved :cryhard: Hope the old doc got it for a good price, it looks like it was an old model when first registered! Ironically, I probably was crying at the time, being not even a year old :) I've always found it kind of strange driving a car that you know was 'born' around the same time as you!
O.C. 480 D.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:39 pm

Well, just to add to the mix:
  • Manufacturer code XLB Volvo Cars Netherlands
    Car type E Volvo 480
    Safety standard X 3 point seat belts
    Engine type 19 B18FT-107
    Verification E Europe
    Modelyear P 1993
    Factory C NedCar, Born (Netherlands)
    Chassisnumber 583652 Perhaps car 2652 constructed in 1993.

Ade

Post by Ade » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:50 pm

Nearly ready to hit the road-

A few snaps of the last few bits leading up to this point-
ecu's in and manifold-ECU-gauge sorted (old plumbing was partially missing/fucked)

cleaned up and coated inside the front. underseal thinned with a little thinners brushed on lovely and should give lasting protection

all important gear oil

clocks connected, engine running, all working! :hopping: not sure about the blue infocentre, better than no info centre :lol: and look how much fuel's in it :)

spent ages flushing and bleeding the cooling system, flushed the engine oil again, got lots of little loose ends tied up, the front is now fully back together and the footwell is tidy, dash is back together (not sure why previous guy took it apart, it wasn't necessary to do this on the blue one to remove the ecu's and loom). Only major outstanding job is to finish off the exhaust, it has as far back as the middle section on, not sure whether to fabricate something lairy or stick with stock. I would like to do something with the exhaust to help it breath even better, the engine's got a real nice note to it and with the light flywheel and the ported head it seems very free revving, it's sounding and feeling ace. Hope to be getting it out on the road in the next day or two, just need to insure it. Been driving it around the yard, seems real nice, only electrical fault seems to be spot lamps not working (suspect CEM), other than that, all good :) Oh and the clutch feels lovely :D better than I've ever felt, my little aluminium bit has worked a minor miracle! And the bite is silky smooth, testament to supreme levels of runout accuracy when machining it ;)

The beginning of the end of the 9-3 is nigh :twisted:
O.C. 480 D.

brinkie
480 Connoisseur

Post by brinkie » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:29 am

Ade wrote:Image
clocks connected, engine running, all working! :hopping: not sure about the blue infocentre, better than no info centre :lol: and look how much fuel's in it :)
Looks like someone swapped the LCD colour filter inside the display with a blue transparent. If you want the info centre back to its original colours, just give me your address by PM an I'll drop a genuine Volvo 480 colour filter in the mail.

But if you are installing a Saab engine, I assume you are also putting the Saab electronics in? The info centre won't display much apart from outside temperature and fuel gauge then, unless you know how to connect the appropriate sensors (and even then the fuel economy readings could be nonense). I could supply you with a list of info centre connections and what signals they are expecting.
(On second thoughts, you'd better take the Saab instrument cluster and shoe-horn that into the 480, or the Saab gearbox must supply a compatible speedo sensor signal and the ECU must supply a compatible tacho signal)
Robert.

Present cars: 1994 Volvo 480 GT 2.0i, 1999 Volvo S70 2.5 Europa, 2010 Volvo V70 2.0F Momentum

Ade

Post by Ade » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:23 am

You make valid points, and thank you for the offer of a standard colour filter thing although it's not high on the list of priorities, I may take you up on that at some point! I was hoping to keep the original instruments in the blue 480 once it has the saab engine, I realise this may involve some trickery with signals (I have colleagues who are experts in electronics and have said they can help me with little 'magic boxes' to modify signals if necessary), I also realise that my fuel economy figures will be nonsense so was planning to lose them but would like to keep temp and oil temp/pressure by retrofitting sender unit/sensors to the saab engine. Your massive knowledge on pinouts and signals for the instruments/infocentre will undoubtedly be invaluable when the time comes....

Actually getting it mounted and running in the 480 is obviously my primary concerns but then the aforementioned stuff will undoubtedly ensue!

Final update on the black one- I'm just in the process of insuring it and so should be driving it away from the workshop later after finishing off the exhaust :hopping:

Watch this space for 'Saab dismembering' and the ensuing nightmare of, to use brinkies word (although he applied it to instruments), shoehorning the big bugger into the old blue 480! I think I'd better stock up on 4 1/2" cut off discs :lol:
O.C. 480 D.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:58 am

Excellent progress and even better news on the insurance. What's the plans for the exhaust then? Standard? Big pipe?

Ade

Post by Ade » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:04 pm

First outing :hopping:
O.C. 480 D.

Ade

Post by Ade » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:47 pm

First trip was for a wash! I think it looks nice, I'm quite happy with it, especially given the price :) Of the car I mean, not the wash :lol:

It drives lovely, exceeded expectations actually, the engine is transformed and the chassis really shows it's low mileage and well maintained+lowered suspension in the handling feel, very nice. The only thing not so good as the blue one is the brakes as they are totally stock whereas I put a set of HEL braided lines and drilled/grooved discs on the blue one which did give a nice improvement to the brakes. Also there's a little binding and the handbrake gets stuck on (all things I experienced and fixed on the other one so no worries, gonna kill off the discs and pads that are on it then major brake system overhaul, live with it and get use out of what's there till then, as I say, it's not that bad)

There are one or two little electrical gremlins to sort out that I have only really noticed now that I've put some miles on it (been all the way to Birmingham and back in it today, didn't miss a beat). The speedo has dropped out a couple of times and then come back again so need to check connections and maybe check for dry joints, rev counter and info been fine, touch wood!

The courtesy light only works with the ignition on (not how it should be as I remember and also the bulbs have been changed to bluish LED's which i don't like) and also doesn't come on when you open the door, only when you switch it on manually. Door open warning on dash works no not the door switch at fault.

The other thing I have noticed (which may or may not be related to the courtesy light problem) is that I can't seem to find a constant live for the radio, only the switched. This means it loses memory obviously but also it affects the info centre, this loses memory too when the ignition is switched off. The info centre losing memory I don't mind, I actually deliberately wired it like this on the blue one so that fuel economy and avg speed figures were 'per trip' or, more accurately I suppose, 'between starts' as I found the information more interesting and meaningful like this and it saved resetting all the time. For the radio however, this is a massive pain in the arse and needs sorting! I also modded the radio wiring on the blue one to have the radio powered up on first position on the ignition rather than second so you can sit and listen to the radio without the management and the DRL's killing the battery so will probably leave the info centre as is 'cos that's how I like it and do the radio the same as in the blue one, need to find/repair/install a new constant live for the memory though.

Also turns out there's some nasty dash rattles that need addressing as I thought there might be when I saw the state the previous owner had (unnecessarily) left it in, I was only able to actually use about half of the fixing points as many of the tabs have been broken off the fascia and dash surround :badmood: I shall have to do some 'creative' gluing and screwing I think. I can live with a bit of bodging as long as the rattles go away! I've already had to 'stitch' the right hand side of the surround back to the main dash with a couple of small holes and a cable tie as it was as good as hanging off and the screw tab was bust. Needless vandalism :angry: The repair is quite discreet but it just pisses me off that I've had to do it in the first place when the guy didn't even need to touch the dash, just work underneath it and in the footwell. Well, that's all I had to do to remove the loom and ECU's anyway, and install them for that matter. The jetronic loom interfaces with the rest of the car in basically three places, that is to say a +12v feed directly from the battery where the loom passes by it, an earth to the bulkhead by the ignition coil and a red connector block under the dash that I assume carries fuel pump power, tacho and maybe other stuff for infocentre and maybe aux water pump? Speed signal is carried by the main 'car' loom on the other side on the engine bay That's it. No dash tampering required! Anyway, rant over.

The exhaust is stock at the moment, haven't quite decided what to do with it. I did put a slash cut on the end of the tailpipe though, just a nice little detail that makes it all look a bit tidier at the back, always thought the standard exhaust looked a bit odd and a bit sticky outy at a funny angle, looks a lot better with the vertical, 45 degree ish slash. You might just make it out on the above picture, I tried to get the cutting plane as close to parallel as possible to a 'best fit' plane taken between the corner of the bumper and the two corners of the cutout for the exhaust on the lower par of the bumper so it sort of follows the lines of the car, it is a nice touch, subtle but gives it a cleaner look.
O.C. 480 D.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:45 pm

Fantastic work - Birmingham and back eh? Nice bit of running in! bet you'll be doing some miles this weekend!
Are you running standard ECU/Boost levels?

Be interested in your dash repairs - Think I'm facing a similar set of problems and no-one seems to have unmolested dashes!

Ade

Post by Ade » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:23 pm

Dash's are a problem mate, I'm gonna have a play and see what I can come up with, I'll post some pics if I do anything worth taking a picture of!

ECU's and boost is stock, running the standard boost solenoid, as is the exhaust ATM. I kinda wanted to get a feel for the benefits of the head work and driveline lightening without any additional mods interfering with my perception of it. To be fair, I think there is a significant improvement in throttle response and willingness to rev, revs drop away a lot faster when lifting off too, signifying the weight loss being at noticeable levels and it does seem to 'breath' better when pushed hard at speed as well as having nice low end torque, she flew up the M6 today :D

It was never going to be as lairy as the saab and it wasn't, but it wasn't a disappointment in any way really and with further mods to come I think it has good potential, I've had great fun driving it around today and it definitely seems quicker and sweeter overall than I remember it in the other car. No signs of oil leaks or coolant loss (I think the level has settled down now despite several hours flushing and bleeding, it needed a drive to lose the last of the air I think, certainly no visible leaks and it's holding pressure well). Next little project on it when I can fit it in is to do the intercooler mister and MBC. I'm not going to go silly with the MBC and I'm thinking about leaving the solenoid in place doing its job, controlled by the ecu, but splicing into the system so as to 'trim' it slightly. I intend to have an adjustable pressure switch actuated by manifold pressure switching a relay to power up a powerful washer pump of some kind that will mist the intercooler with water under 'trimmed up' boost conditions so as to provide extra charge cooling under those higher pressures. This should mean that it is not unsafe to run slightly higher boost without altering ignition mapping. Not a perfect scenario, granted, but I good compromise I think and it will be cool and unique too. I'd like to see how this thing stacks up against a 'robou turbo'.....

Oh yeah, the only other things that aren't standard at the moment but haven't been for ages and are installed just the same in this car is a decent high flow air filter (stock fitment) and a modified air intake pipe that has a larger opening and more ram effect from behind the grille rather than the tiny little thing that tucks up behind the front bumper. I think you can just about see it in one of the pics of the front, bottom right by the intercooler pipe. Just a piece of junk from a scrapyard, successfully repurposed into a better intake for the 480!
O.C. 480 D.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:53 am

I'll be doing the same with dash so we can compare notes and techniques!

We seem to have similar ideas on boost too - As I'm late to the party, finding a modded ECU seems impossible, so I've just been looking at re-inventing the wheel. MBC's seem the obvious starting point, and like you I'm not looking for crazy power, just a healthy shove.
A couple of MBC's will allow switching of circuits, which would easily accommodate your mister idea; Headlamp washer pumps would certainly be sufficient to provide the mist.