480 turbo CC Bello

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Baxter
Knows where Volvo is from

Re: 480 turbo CC Bello

Post by Baxter » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:48 pm

I also glued the high beam light, On winter when it was wet it took humidity inside. The glass is not well attached to the body, specially on the bottom, it is easy to remove the glass just with the hands.
I used grey silicon to glue it back.

Hector.

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:52 pm

Seven years is enough sleeping. It is time to update.

I haven't used the car during these years and the storage in a dump garage has caused several malfunctioning that I have to repair for keeping the car running.

The pop up headlights make the brinkie winkie dance when switched on. I dismantle them from the body and checked with another spare motor. The dance continues and exchanging motor position realise me it is not the motor but the rele.

https://youtu.be/FCXgmpk1tbM

Opened the rele, spread cleaner contacts and after a short test, motors stop up and down as it should. Easier to test the rele before dismantle the pop up headlights but I wanted to understand how everything assemblies and checking the spring of the headlights. One is gone.

Is that stripe the rest of a rubber foam?
Hector.

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:21 pm

I continue with little reparations.
The headlamp cover was rusty underneath. I remove the rust with citric acid(lemmon juice) and protected with zinc and black paint.

Hector.

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:31 pm

The vinyl of the door card unsticked on many places. This is why the textil card didn't fit properly in position with the plastic clips and was glued.
I'll glue the vinyl again and try the fitting with the original clips but one is missing. Those clips could be better quality.

Hector.

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:35 pm

Happily I have solved another annoying problem, The door stop was loose and made two big clanks every time the door was open. Screwed it solved the problem.

Hector.

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:50 pm

I've found this old photo from a trip on the French Bretagne years ago.

Hector.

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:40 am

That looks really good ! Steel grey ? You must use it more, although I have to agree the boot is very small for a family car. Keep the updates coming - your English is fine.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:29 pm

Baxter wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:31 pm
The vinyl of the door card unsticked on many places. This is why the textil card didn't fit properly in position with the plastic clips and was glued.
I'll glue the vinyl again and try the fitting with the original clips but one is missing. Those clips could be better quality.

Better solution here, read all the way to the update on the last post!

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:21 pm

dragonflyjewels wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:40 am
That looks really good ! Steel grey ? You must use it more, although I have to agree the boot is very small for a family car. Keep the updates coming - your English is fine.
Thanks Sylvia, well in fact the car is bicolor,the original color is a light blue very nice to me but someone painted the sides of the car in a ligh grey. Took me time to me to realize of the difference.
I imagine the situation where the painter shop garage doesn't have that light blue but just an apparently similar light grey and instead of order the correct pain just makes the bodge. The strange thing is that it is painted in good shape, the borders are clean, no orange peel, so good job on that sense but with the wrong color.

It is not that bad as a family car when kids are young, until 12/13 years old more or less. In fact, I have used the car a couple of years that way.
The boot is small but takes two big and two standard trolleys. More than I would take on a plane.
Hector.

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:23 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:29 pm
Baxter wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:31 pm

Better solution here, read all the way to the update on the last post!
I will follow that route, clips ordered. I like to make those simple and gratifying jobs.
Hector.

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:36 pm

While replacing the gas struts for the headlamps, I have ordered the ones from Skandix. The old ones were in bad shape, one completetly shot and the other one with weak compression.

The thing is that the original has compression all the way round, from start up to the end of its travel, keeping constant pressure on the headlamp bracket, no matter the position of the headlamp.

The ones from Skandisk act as a normal gas strut, it has two positions, you have compression during its travel until the end, then that pressure dissapears.

Probably the difference is not very important and is far way better to have working struts.
Hector.

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:12 pm

Another little repair.
The plastic clips cover and the metal bracket of the mirror are broken but I have used black glue/silicone staff for repairing it and the result was very solid, I like a lot this staff. It is flexible but at the same time is very strong.

Hector.

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:58 pm

Little update in the process of finishing the car for may/Bruggen. Who knows..

Something missing here but sorted with a rubber in between and tied with a jubillee clip

Hector.

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:23 pm

The front lights are unglued on different parts, it is difficult to see on the picture but the transparent splitted from the body on many places.

I have used Araldit for gluing, its cream color fits very well with the body and transparent.

There are cracks on the light but glued is way more solid as one piece.
For the cracks I'm thinking about to use a resin that covers small scratches on glass like the windscreen or side windows. Maybe it works also on plastics.

Hector.

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:46 am

There is a very thin silicone type sealant, Captain Trolley's Creeping that might work on the cracks??

NOTE I have never used it but others swear by it (or maybe swear AT it?)

I just flexed the lens slightly and pressed in some normal sealant
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:04 pm

Alan 480 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:46 am
There is a very thin silicone type sealant, Captain Trolley's Creeping that might work on the cracks??

NOTE I have never used it but others swear by it (or maybe swear AT it?)

I just flexed the lens slightly and pressed in some normal sealant
I will investigate but first important things must work :?

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=36978&p=229646#p229646
Hector.

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:41 am

It hasn't been easy but for the moment it is done. The headlights work properly.
The rele fails from time to time, probably the internal contacts are not in great shape.

After mounting everything and adjusted the closed position what is complex because it is implied several parts I had to unmount one headlamp as the motor started to make a loud noise. Changed with an spare one and now everything looks good. It is very difficult to align parts properly, the bonnet is a bit rised and one headlamp a bit forward but it is ok for now.

what a nice car
Hector.

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:46 am

Next station is the hand brake. Now it is almost completely stucked hardly I'm able to lock it on the first crick.
This looks ok, not rusted.

Oiling the lever doesn't help too much. Maybe it is stucked internaly in the caliper.

Hector.

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:38 pm

Jeff has done a 'how to service rear brakes'

but a quick check is to make sure that when OFF the cam at the caliper is against the stop.

it is possible that a previous owner has taken up all the slack at the adjuster under car (your first picture) and so no travel left?

there is a small plug , it should be a 5mm allen key size, but might be corroded and you can drive alarge size in? then adjust with a 4mm in UK we have both metric and 'old' imperial allen keys so usually can 'force' in a size larger :wink:
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:24 pm

I have done two shorts video about the movement of the lever of the handbrake, left and right.
The hand lever is completely down when moving the lever on the caliper. Is that normal that short movement?

Alan, I don't understand what is the cam at the caliper that must be against the stop.

I have checked several times the Jeff's post but there are parts don't understand what it is.

The car has been storage in a wet garage for 6 years driving outside from time to time for a few meters but allowing to activate the brakes. The brakes are untouched since then and were in good order before the storage, the handbrake locked the wheels after 4 or 5 clicks at that time. But gradually became stiffer with less movement until now that is hard to lock them on first click.

https://flic.kr/p/2psSKzq

https://flic.kr/p/2psR7Dv

would I continue uncrewing that inner allen bolt?
Hector.