Celebration in a Celebration!

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Dancing Demon
480 Newbie

Celebration in a Celebration!

Post by Dancing Demon » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:25 pm

Celebrating 30 years since launch of the Volvo 480 in a Volvo Celebration

Although I keep trying to convince myself that I am far too young to have a ‘bucket list’, in reality the Land’s End to John o’ Groats journey is one I have always wanted to do. Recent events involving close family and friends who have been affected by cancer made me decided that this was the year to do the journey and hopefully raise some money for MacMillan Cancer Support. I was delighted that my fifteen year old daughter was also well and truly ‘up for it’ and she immediately designated herself in charge of ‘social media’ as I was too old to understand such things.

Knowing my love of the 480 and to add a slightly ‘classic’ feel to the trip it was decided to give the car the journey of its life – I somehow suspect that never before had it covered some 2,000 miles in a week, and perhaps had never even done 2,000 miles in a month. (For what it’s worth it hadn’t even covered 2,000 miles in my years of ownership!)
The route was planned starting in John o’ Groats, and finishing at Land’s End. There were six stops planned, Newcastle, Aviemore, Aviemore, Blackpool, Newport, and Tintagel) – as you would expect it was an expensive week (but well worth it!) with fuel, hotels, and food which we paid to ensure that every single penny raised without exception went to MacMillan.

The 480, being a Volvo of course performed faultlessly, and there was only one moment of concern when waiting at a roundabout and a strong smell of burning appeared – however once the Corsa in front had turned off it all returned to normal. The hills in the Highlands and Cornwall despite being extremely steep it took in its stride having selected 2nd gear. In addition the windscreen wipers worked without a single break for the first 900 miles – we met a pair of bikers who were also doing LEJOG and it wasn’t pleasant in the 480 with the torrential rain – I understand it was even worse for them.

So after 1991.9 miles, 42 hours of driving, and a fuel economy of 36 mpg we returned home, tired, but absolutely delighted with the funds which had been raised for MacMillan, which at time of writing this article were standing at just over £2,000.

So a massive thanks to everyone who has supported me, including my daughter Lucy who gave up a week of her holiday to accompany me, as well as look after the ‘Facebook thingy’.

Chris Wickers

http://www.justgiving.com/chriswickers
http://www.facebook.com/chrislucylejog

rhigga
Started learning about 480

Re: Celebration in a Celebration!

Post by rhigga » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:47 pm

Fantastic effort and well done to yourself,Lucy and the 480 of course.....
1992 480 Turbo Auto with richmod