The Wolf roams

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

WhiteWolf
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Re: The Wolf roams

Post by WhiteWolf » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:16 pm

When I was reving it to the redline I came off the throttle and there was an almighty backfire...

Another thing which I may have wrong but I snapped the valve on my crankcase breather so now I have the oil catcher venting to atmosphere.. The other two pipes, one to inlet manifold and the other to the turbo inlet pipe Ive blanked off.. Ive read on here that this is ok.. The oil catcher needs a filter of course..
Is this correct..
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:18 pm

Ive managed to stop the hunting of the revs.....

I tried to start it and it would not start... This was with engine temp sensor unplugged.. I plugged it in and it started but would only run but nearly stalling... unplugged the maf and the revs went and stabilised at 800rpm.. It did it until I turned her off..

I can gently and I mean gently drive the car easing the revs then it will splutter or just start jerking... just once it boosting 1st and 2nd...

Another weird thing is with the maf plugged in I can cover the mesh of the maf even half of it and the engine will stop straight away...

Ig I do it with the maf unplugged and I cover the mesh fully the engine will run but it sucks all the air out of the engine.. The intercooler and pipe behind the maf just get the air sucked out of them. Literally they all had a vacuum in them then the engine died...
The maf is doing something but what
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:05 pm

Ive been doing some reading and apparantly cars that have a failing maf and no o2 sensor will normally run lean weak with a baf maf...
A car with an o2 sensor will more than likely run very rich with a bad maf...

When the maf fails altogether the lh computer goes into limp mode with just 2 settings for the injectors...

Under 2000rpm it is 3.2ms and over 2000rpm it is 6.4ms.. This is from an article about repairing a maf.. It was about a porsche 928 which I believe uses the same computer brain..

That explains how the car runs without maf and drives upto about 2000rpm then it just floods the engine..
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:08 pm

The car is out of insurance and tax so is not being driven...

Messing about with the car the other day I managed to trap a tin of wd40 under the wiper mechanism.. I had to pierce the can and squash it to get it out.. It was trapped and damaged the arms and motor.. The list goes on and on...

I think its the maf for sure....

I havnt started the car for a while now...

I decided to try it with just the maf unplugged... It started straight away and sat stable at 1000rpm.. As it warmed it dropped to 800/900rpm.... It still cuts out after 2000rpm on quick throttle. The revs are not fluttering at all...

My alternator is charging good again.. It wasnt working properly.. I took the negative lead off to kill the engine and it kept running... That was a good suprise...

I have bridged a relay for the ignition months ago which kills my battery when left overnight and connected.. I wonder if this would have stopped the burn off cycle for the maf....

Now to source a maf... I can only find cheap copies on fleabay..

To be continued....
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:24 pm

Ive finally ordered a replacement maf for the wolf...

Hopefully it will sort the problem Ive been having..
I will have to take the front window wiper mechanism off of the Es..

For the Mot I will have to order some rear brake pads.. Thats due middle of september..

To be continued....
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:08 pm

The maf quickly arrived in the mail. I put it on the car and realised the battery was dead. Charged it up and tried to start it. It fired twice and died. It's got to be out of fuel. Put some petrol in and tried starting her. She fired up and revved beautifully. Problem solved. She idles and revs so much more smoothly. Now to sort the insurance back out.

To be happily continued.
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:34 pm

I left it idling for a while and it's fine. I can punch the accelerator and it will just shoot to the limit. No more hesitation. I know it's not under load but I was unable to do it before. The idle is soooooo stable. Not a flutter.
I'm sure this is going to improve drivability. Along with the fact that I've cleaned and unplugged nearly everything and also finding a massive tear in the turbo inlet pipe.

Now to swap the window wiper mechanism. The one I jammed a tin of wd40 under and put the wipers on.

The maf must have been playing up for a while. Only a few times have I felt being pinned into my seat. There has always been a problem of some sort full throttle. I only drive it part throttle anyway. With the de cat cherry bombed side pipe it sounds like a group b rally car.

To be continued
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:59 am

The next thing I'm desperate for is a decent reconditioned alternator. I know when winter comes the car will struggle with wipers, heating and lights on at once. Cheap enough on fleabay though.

I'm going to order the cambelt and kit and get it done. I also want to order the engine gasket set, it's about £75 from Europe.
I've got drop links all around and the rear brakes to do.

Hopefully early next year I can get it to my mate for bodywork.

It's been a long few years

To be continued.
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:09 am

WhiteWolf wrote:The next thing I'm desperate for is a decent reconditioned alternator. I know when winter comes the car will struggle with wipers, heating and lights on at once. Cheap enough on fleabay though.

I'm going to order the cambelt and kit and get it done. I also want to order the engine gasket set, it's about £75 from Europe.

To be continued.
Just remember that the turbo's have a 70A alternator.
I'd also check for volt drop before condemning the alternator; alternator Positive to Battery Positive, alternator earth to Battery earth; Should be no more that .5V occurring over those lines, especially under load. If there is, renew (or add to) the cables.

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:57 am

jifflemon wrote:
WhiteWolf wrote:The next thing I'm desperate for is a decent reconditioned alternator. I know when winter comes the car will struggle with wipers, heating and lights on at once. Cheap enough on fleabay though.

To be continued.
Just remember that the turbo's have a 70A alternator.
I'd also check for volt drop before condemning the alternator; alternator Positive to Battery Positive, alternator earth to Battery earth; Should be no more that .5V occurring over those lines, especially under load. If there is, renew (or add to) the cables.
Thanks for the reply.
Good call. To be honest it is kind of bad my live cable on the battery. On my Es I have a perfect lead for it. It's heartbreaking though. I wanted to drive that originally but couldn't get it started. The knowledge I have learnt from this forum I would have had it started in a day or two.

Regarding voltage drop would I just put the multimeter on the alternator + and battery + and the same with the alternator and battery - and then refer to the battery voltage.
I think it is the alternator though, with no load it's about 13.7v across the battery with the engine running.
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:22 pm

WhiteWolf wrote:Regarding voltage drop would I just put the multimeter on the alternator + and battery + and the same with the alternator and battery - and then refer to the battery voltage.
I think it is the alternator though, with no load it's about 13.7v across the battery with the engine running.
That's exactly what you do:

alternator + and battery + should read <.5v
alternator - and battery + should read <.5v

You could compare the output at the alternator (Alternator +, Alternator -) with the battery (Battery +, Battery -) both off load and on-load; there shouldn't be much difference. Just remember that under load, you want to be measuring around 2000rpm.

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:16 pm

Hello to all....

Finally got the car back on the road again in December....

I had quite a bit of work done to it...

Today my heart has dropped...

I got a friend to change my cv joint that has had it..

Stripped her down, took driveshaft out.. The cv joint was basically welded on.. We needed to cut it off... Noticed the new one didnt have an abs ring so we took it off the old one.... Managed to knock one of the bearings that go into the gearbox off of the end of the driveshaft... Little rollers everywhere.. managed to put that back together...

Now here is the fun part. When we went to put the cv joint onto the driveshaft it didnt fit.. The driveshaft is to wide.. Way to wide...

So I though go and wip the near side driveshaft off of the es...
No joy.. On that joint there is a lip that fits into the hub.. No way to slip the abs sensor over it....

Im really gutted as Ive had to leave the car at my mates on the street with no way of moving it...

I checked as well before I purchased it.. Do sellers just make stuff up....

Stuffed now.. I dont know what cv joint to get...

Also Ive bent the near side torsion bar at the back when I kerbed it..

Maybe to be continued....
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:11 pm

WhiteWolf wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:16 pm
I checked as well before I purchased it.. Do sellers just make stuff up....
Oh lord yes... some of it isn’t there fault; cross reference manuals don’t help. I’ve often thought of ordering stuff I know isn’t right, just to annoy the sellers (who have to pay for return, then refund everything).

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:37 am

Well it has been a year so I thought I would do a follow up to the gripping cv joint drama :shock:

It got to the stage with the car where it needed taking off of the road so in July last year it was put into a garage and a plan was made, it needed welding everywhere, it failed on its mot a few years ago due to rust been to close to the seat belt anchor point, arches had gone along with the boot lip etc etc... Finally it would have needed a full respray after a new windscreen was fitted...
So I was in a bad position because really the engine was due an overhaul :wall:

I was 80% ready to go ahead with it when I stumbled upon a lad on the internet who had taken custody of a black 480 turbo on a J reg, the bodywork was immaculate compared to mine, he had already ripped the engine and box out of it with all relevant ecus.. What made me want to get it is it only had 32,000 miles on it, he was about to scrap it..

I arranged to go and get it and drop it off at the garage where the wolf is.. The engine/box and full car loom had to be taken out as the abs system is different.. What also did not help was the way the engine snatcher just cut through the interior loom when there was no need.... The car is lovely and dry inside which is a bonus...

So a long story short is the Wolfs heart and soul is going in a younger body....

to be continued............
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:30 pm

WhiteWolf wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:37 am
Well it has been a year so I thought I would do a follow up to the gripping cv joint drama :shock:

The engine/box and full car loom had to be taken out as the abs system is different.. What also did not help was the way the engine snatcher just cut through the interior loom when there was no need.... The car is lovely and dry inside which is a bonus...
why do folk do that? :angry:

just as easy to 'pop' the clips apart ,

good to hear another one survives :hopping:
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:38 am

It is madness.. I am glad another one has survived....
Sadly I have to depart with an Es soon, a few things missing off of her but just cant do them all..
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:00 pm

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=36005&p=222437#p222437
I shall carry on in this thread...
To be continued.....
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:02 pm

Well it has been an entertaining few days to say the least, not like last year when I had the drivers side wishbone snap on me whilst turning around and also it decided to wet itself after I had filled the tank 😥
I surely have got the love for it back though, when I am on the road it looks like everyone should be in the Exorcist movie with their spinning heads 🤣

The ride is surprisingly smooth, no squeaks or rattles (yet) although the steering makes the saddest sound when warm turning right, this comes from the steering wheel column I believe.. Normally on my other 480 when I full lock the steering on standstill the power steering pumps squealed, this one though revs just drop a little??? Steering is stiff as it drifts to the left, also when driving in a straight line you can sometimes feel the steering wheel just slightly turn both ways without affecting the cars direction.. Track rod ends maybe, will have it up on a ramp this week when the brakes are done...
Going to get a quote soon to have the rust sorted on the car, having it done properly.. Amazingly the boot is bone dry, although the jack is as furry as hell with rust...
Going to have a look at the fuse 21 later to see if I can get the radio/key hole light/info centre/lighter working..

Before I get to carried away I know there will be many tears in the future but for now I just smile every time I see her 😍

To be continued
Whitewolf...
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:48 pm

Good stuff!!

Check the bridge at fuse position 23...

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:09 pm

dcwalker wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:48 pm
Good stuff!!

Check the bridge at fuse position 23...

David
Thanks for the advice... Thankfully on mine fuse 26 was blown.. replaced it and the info centre is back working :kill: Although the fuel display says fuel, I am sure there should be half a tank mmmmmmm
Worryingly though the fuse for the fuel pump a 20amp one, was melted on the plastic of the fuse :shock:
Forwards and upwards...
Regards
Whitewolf
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver