The Wolf roams

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

WhiteWolf
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

The Wolf roams

Post by WhiteWolf » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:06 pm

In November 2014 I decided to rescue a White 480 turbo from Wales which was about to be broke on EBay.. It hadn't been up more than an hour when I viewed it and contacted the seller with an offer..
I didn't care where it was located at the time as I really wanted it having previously owned a white Es which I fell in love with but couldn't keep..
The Turbo was advertised with another donor car of the same year, colour and engine although was an automatic.

I made a promise to collect within a month as it was in another country..
Then I did something which I should have done before bidding. Got a quote for collection.. I did some research and the cheapest was £400 the same as the price of the cars.. I started to question my sanity but I really wanted the car..

So I contacted the seller and arranged a date to collect the White wolf...
What I didn't realise is I was at work the night before at a rave and didn't finish until 0730, I had to set off to Wales by 0900 :shock:
To make it worse still I had work on the night of the collection as well... This was a hard few days..
Anyway the day came and we set off for Wales...
First stop, coffee...

To be continued...
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

WhiteWolf

Re: The Wolf roams

Post by WhiteWolf » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:09 pm

The journey to Wales was thankfully uneventful apart from me entering the wrong postcode.. Luckily we was only 20 minutes away..
As we neared the collection point it was clear that we was heading into some high territory. As we attempted to navigate up the lane it became more and more narrow.. It was a really narrow. The wing mirrors of the lorry were touching the bushes at the side.. We managed to get to the farm at the top and were greeted by the seller and his family.. ImageWe voiced our concerns about getting back down due to the extra car on the back and they laughed and said,"we get coaches down there, do you want a brew".
The car owner had had the keys stolen previously and had also lost the keys to the donor car.This was mentioned during negotiations and I was fine with because I could change the locks over from another car.. The owner didn't realise this could be done.. When I arrived though he had found the keys to the donor car..
This was good news.. The other car had the steering lock on and the wheels were on full lock.. We had to drag it into the van.. It was at this time I realised what a huge amount of work would be needed.. He'd already told me about the lack of interior in the car..
I wasn't to be put off though..
We managed to get the car up onto the lorry and attached the donor to the dolly.. I exchanged funds and got a mystery Ecu off of him and we very slowly headed down what only can be described as a mountain and headed off to England..Image
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

doingitsideways
480 Expert

Post by doingitsideways » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:12 pm

From those hours, doorman or DJ?!

Love a white Turbo :)

Looking forward to updates.
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical fault!"
Hammers can't fix a 480!!!

jamesy12345
480 Veteran

Post by jamesy12345 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:47 pm

Well done sir
Current:
Volvo S60 '04
Renault 21 '91
Subaru Legacy '05
Mazda RX-7 '93
Renault 5 '84

Previous:
440 2 litre, 440 Turbo, 460 Turbo, 480 Turbo x2, 854 T-5R, S40 T4, V40 T4, S70 T5 & R, V70 R x2, S60 R

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:24 pm

Cheers guys...
It passed its mot last week and there is still loads to do.. I've done loads on it these past 7 months and I'm going to document it from memory.. Without this forum I wouldn't have attempted it.. Hats off to all of you previously who have had to sort your cars out blindly..

I love the cars.. Many smiles to the gallon..

You got the bit about the hours right doingitsideways :D
I'm not security or thankfully a dj but do bits and bobs in a club.. Mainly to do with sound..

All the best to you all on your journeys..
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:35 pm

We arrived back in England at about 10pm. I can't remember what time we had set off at, the day was a huge blur :D

We managed to get the auto in fairly easily because I had the keys for it.. The wolf was different altogether.. At first it was hard to line the lorry up because of the length of it.. Secondly we had dragged it to get it in because it was on full lock with out keys. Somehow the operator managed to get the car off of the lorry but it wouldn't move the last foot so was basically resting on the back of the lorry... The only option because we couldn't drag it back on was to pull the lorry forward letting the car drop to the floor..
So the guy jumps in the lorry and moves forward and the inevitable happened.. The vanishing of spot lights and bottom of bumper.. I was seriously sleep deprived so swore briefly at fresh air and paid the guy...
I had to shoot back to work which I didn't want to do.. I didn't even know what day it was..

I needed a few days to recover so I left it for a few days to see how much of a mistake my decision was :nuts:
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:18 pm

I decided to visit the cars and access what I'd let myself in or

After if changed over the steering column I found the electrics were working

Apart from the Rev counter :wall:
Last edited by WhiteWolf on Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:28 pm

The inside was absolutely gutted out.. There was only two front seats and the dash..
Amazingly it fired up straight away after years of sitting there...

There was some rusting that needed addressing.. The engine sounded lovely though...

93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

jamesy12345
480 Veteran

Post by jamesy12345 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:42 am

Doesn't look too bad under the bonnet! Needs fuel!
Current:
Volvo S60 '04
Renault 21 '91
Subaru Legacy '05
Mazda RX-7 '93
Renault 5 '84

Previous:
440 2 litre, 440 Turbo, 460 Turbo, 480 Turbo x2, 854 T-5R, S40 T4, V40 T4, S70 T5 & R, V70 R x2, S60 R

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:25 pm

Thanks for spotting that :D
I was suprised how clean it was.. Mechanically its sound...
I thought the fuel gauge was broke at first.. I was just topping it up with a 5litre petrol can.. When I took her to fill her up though the gauge was working... It must have the bigger tank..
Don't get much petrol for your money either.. It's been a while since I drove...

I've been trying to upload more photos but photo bucket is playing up...
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:28 pm

The battle over the months has been worth it.. The car is taxed and Mot'd and ready to be insured tommorow..
I still have a lot to right up.. I really should have written it up as I went along :rofl:

The MOT was funny... It had quite a bit wrong with her.. Both the inner arches needed welding as the rust was close to the rear seat belt anchorage.. I tried to take it without the rear silencer on :D It sounded beautiful.. I'm going to cherry bomb it as I had to weld an Es backbox on it :wall: to get it to pass..
The front passenger indicator decided to stop working on the day so I had to run a wire from the passenger wing indicator to the front one to make it work..
Advisories were both rear anti link roll bars are loose.. I have new ones to put on.. Passenger wheel bearing has play. Steering rack one side has play... These will be replaced as soon as possible..
I have new rear brake cables to put on..
The list goes on...

These cars are worth it though...

I could never justify doing this to a fiesta or a corsa :lol:

These cars make you feel alive..

Anyway that's 3 92 turbos with s/r on the road in the UK..

I look forward to updating the pain over the next few winter months
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:24 pm

After a few weeks of driving this car is running really good..

There's a few things that need sorting.. The rev counter for instance doesn't work.. I thought I traced it to a loose plug on the gearbox.. It wasn't to be though.. Its intermittent so it's probably a break in the wire. The rear window heater doesn't come on either.. I think it is the tail gate loom which I've previously repaired..

The only problems I've had are the drivers door lock needed a key tapping in as the front plastic bit went funny... The only other was when on of my pop ups didn't go down... It did when I started her up again...

I was after a pipe for the car which I have know recieved.. It has sorted all the erratic idling and stuttering... It has a Roboumod fitted and the drivability and even fuel consumption has improved.. It is so smooth.. Even in aggressive setting it drives beautifully around town... I can roll about in 5 gear at 30mph.. It is worth just getting to improve the running of your car..

After I've sorted the exhaust out I'm going to concentrate on the bodywork.. It will shine one day..
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:55 pm

I'm really enjoying this car at the minute.. The only headache has been when my improvised front indicator wire ha wrapped itself around the piston for the head light.. I found out when the indicator went.. Took the lens out and found out the mess :rofl:
The car is running nice.. The exhaust needs doing asap to unleash the full power as it still has an Es back box on it :cry:

The rev counter I think is a loose wire behind the dash because a sharp tap to the side of the centre colour makes it flutter..
The rear window heater has started working again as if by magic.
I can finally start work on the body work soon.. My mate buffed a bit of my bonnet and it came up like new.. That suprised me a lot.. I thought it needed respraying.

The car as I have previously said had a Roboumod fitted.. It has made the car beautiful to drive.. I love been able to potter about at 30 in 5th gear.. The Mpg is really good as well.. I can get 30-45 mpg just plodding along in any gear at low revs..
Next I'm going to get an oil change and new leads etc..
I have also ordered wheel bearings, ball joints and also anti roll bars all round.. Steering rack is also scheduled.
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:47 am

I forgot to mention I've taken off the daft cone filter it came with and replaced it with the original air box with the nice cold feed... It is a lot better, much better in fact.. The only thing I miss is the sound of it as you take your foot off of the accelerator..
I've also decided not to cherry bomb it. I'm more than likely going to order an original turbo back box and intermediate pipe..
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:37 pm

A few problems have occurred with the car.. The first was the radiator.. Luckily i had just pulled up somewhere on a hill and saw the water pissing out the front.. A bottle of Radweld has solved th problem.. Also the coolant level has stabilised which is a bonus.
The only other problem was when the ignition remote wire begin the stereo started smoking.. Luckily I turned the ignition off rather than ripping the stereo out of the dash... I lost all dash lights.. Indicators went along with the headlights.. I thought the worst but luckily it had only taken all the 7.5 fuses out.. Any longer and there would have been permanent damage..

As the miles are increasing its running sweeter by the day... I've started to use 99 unleaded and its economy has improved... I've added a bottle of injector cleaner in the other day and it's improved it although that could be just psycological..

The idle has really stabilised with no fluctuations at all.
I can use the heater, lights and stereo and no dip of power at all.. The only time the electrical power drops is when I press the brake pedal..
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:57 pm

It's still running :rofl:

It hasn't let me down but a few things have occurred..

I had a weird idle that was sorted by setting the screw on the throttle body behind the arm to standard setting.. It had been tampered with.. It was idling high sometimes.. It is now as quiet as a mouse..

Another one which was a worry at first as it was about 1am and I was in the middle of nowhere.. I was locking the car up and the steering lock came on for the first time :shock:
It unlocked again though :hopping: that was a relief to say the least.. It's down to the barrel not fully releasing.. A little wiggle and it now clicks..

I still haven't sorted the exhaust out :wall:

The other night when the weather was typically British my heater fan started sounded like a banshee.. I must strip the glovebox and check it's tight..

The best bit though is it has been buffed.. I thought it needed a respray.. Not know I don't.. :D
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

timrosser
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by timrosser » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:18 pm

Just noticed the other white 480 at the top of the thread- don't suppose you have details for the welsh scrap yard? Good work on the restoration btw!

T

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:25 pm

Thank you....
I bought the cars from a farm... I still have half of a white auto turbo left...
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:33 pm

The car is still starting... There's a few niggles which are bugging me.. Every time I press the brakes all the electrics etc dip... Also the heater makes a squealing noise if my foot comes off of the gas.. I think it could be the alternator belt that needs tightening..

Sometimes the car decides to accelerate on itself... If I'm in 5th gear sometimes it will do 20mph without my foot on the pedal... The cable is fine.. The idle is fine.. The cable is loose if anything..

The other niggle is when I take my foot off of the pedal the car jolts heavily.. It judders.. I believe the two are linked but I can't work it out...
Any suggestions would be great..

The car overall makes me feel alive every time I drive it... Lovely cars..
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:29 pm

I would check the rear engine mount as a priority for the cause of the engine judder