The Wolf roams

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

WhiteWolf
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Re: The Wolf roams

Post by WhiteWolf » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:14 pm

I didnt even bother trying the MBC.. Its not needed.. I have taken it off..
I cant wait until the cat and the es back box is removed...

I did a proper launch last night... Full throttle pull off into second... Fun, lots of fun... Wont be doing many though haha
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:02 pm

The car has been of the road for two weeks whilst I changed the insurance on my car... I was paying £255 a month for 3rd party fire and theft... Now it is £132 a month fully comp..

The Mot is coming up in July and there were a few advisories.. My plan is to completly renew all the suspension and steering...

I viewed a polybush kit for about £250 to renew everything underneath... I think the easiest is just to renew the actual parts to be honest....

I cant wait to tighten it up... I had an es about 10-12 years ago and that car handled sweet.. Im talking about coming up to a corner
at about 60/70mph, quickly putting the brakes on and turn in... much fun..
p
The car I have now is ok but there is play in the steering, it breaks and drives straight though..
When the boost comes in though it will make up its own mind wether to pull me to the opposite side of the road or closer to the kerb.. Wishbones and bearings should hopefully eradicate that..

The exhaust will be sorted hopefully soon.. decatting it as it was registered on the 1st of Joan missing the deadline of 1st of Aug for the addition of the cat..

The oil needs sorting as well... I have the proper oil filter for it, I just have to order the copper ring for sealing the sump plug off of ebay...

I also want an accurate boost gauge...
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:50 pm

The car is still running.. Albeit some serious creaking from the front end. Ive noticed when I push the car at the back from the back it sways from side to side for a few times.. I hope its just the anti-roll bars...

Today the car under acceleration died... The ignition was cut... I restarted the car and the same thing happened. It happens under boost... The second time it happened I upshifted and that brought it back to life.. The first time it happened there was a load of backfiring...

I checked all pipes etc and nothing is loose.. I watched the gauge when in second and floored it and it when into the red and would of gone off of the scale if I hadnt of backed off and hit ignition cut again..
The only thing I have done today is turned the resistance on the MAF from 553 to 480.. It seemed a lot more responsive..

I have also jiggled some air pipes at the front of the car as there is a slight hiss sometimes.. Thats more from the inlet manifold though.. Nothing has been dislodged, Ive triple checked..

Im stumped about this...

Sometimes it doesnt feel like it boosts properly..

What could cause this... I like boost..
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:30 pm

I gave the wastegate actuator a little wiggle last night and it feels very stiff.. I believe this to be the main cause of the overboost, no boost problem Im facing..

When it boosts up its crazy.. The slightest bit of damp and it will spin in 3rd.. In the dry it will spin in 2nd..

Also does anyone know where I can purchase gaskets for the car.. mainly inlet gasket and throttle body..

Off out for a jiggle..
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:20 pm

Well yesterday I popped the bonnet.. That reminds me I must purchase a spare set of bonnet hinges..
Anyway.. I had a little play with the wastegate and it seemed very stiff.. I pulled it backwards and forward a few times and it seemed to move more freely.. I took the car out and it behaved. The boost in lower gears stayed in the middle of the yellow.. Before it used to shoot up to the end of the red then settle in the middle of the red.. I must order a proper boost gauge and install it...
To be continued....
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:30 pm

I decided to have a play with the wastegate again.. I removed the pipe from the actuator and placed an air compressor to it.. It was one that I had to plug into the 12v socket in the car.. Needless to say when I went to the front of the car the wastegate was clearly open and holding the excess pressure I had put into it..
The next check with the hose off was to place my finger over the nipple after Id pulled the actuator arm back.. The arm didnt move until Id removed my finger..

I took the car out after and it felt a lot better.. Time will tell I suppose.. Next thing is the boost gauge.. I need an accurate one to see if the wastegate is opening at the right pressure..

I know the lad who had the car before me did a lot of work on the car including replacing the turbo and actuator arm..
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:02 pm

Well....

The boost isnt excessive no more.. I decided to give it some the other night.. My original problem has occured again and Im losing will with this car...
As soon as its boosting it will start cutting out.. Not the ignition though. It feels like the fuel is running out..
The car will hit redline when in neutral.. It wont do it whilst driving though.. It doesnt go past 4500/5000rpm..
Ive replaced the coil, distributor and rotor arm..

IIt will be sorted one day....
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:45 am

Its been a few months so I thought Id better post an update for all of you avid readers. The inbox has literally been going crazy.

A few things have gone wrong with the car. I finally found the reason why the car wouldnt go near the redline. The exhauat fell off one day from near the rear wheel and by god did it improve the power.

I also found out it has been de-catted. The insides were missing. The exhaust is now side piped. de-catted, de-muffled and de-backboxed.

My inner cv boot cover decided to split and empty the contents of the gearbox onto the pavement. I managed to clean and superglue it. It went the other day again. Ive ordered a genuine replacement with a new bearing.

Ive been having serious problems with my cooling system. My radiator has sprung another leak. This after been earlier repaired with radweld. The fan or sensor has also died..

My interior fan sometimes starts making an awful squealing sound. I have a spare to replace it.

Talking about squeals my alternator joins in when cold.
I have ordered a new fuel filter..

Its a good job I love this car..

to be continued....
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:24 pm

The car is going to have some work done to it on monday..
The first thing is the inner passengerside cv boot cover. The new one has arrived with the new bearing. I also have the outer cv boot cover to do as this is split.
Both front drop links are going to be replaced. I have to order new wishbones, steering rack, bearings etc. Basically the front is being renewed.
I have a new fuel filter to put on. It stutters a lot when fuel is low and sometimes under high boost its feels like it jerks like the fuel is struggling. Once the filter is replaced I will redex the system again. That reminds me to Wd40 the connections.
I also have new handbrake cables to put on.
I have the oil filter and new sump plug for the oil change. Ive ordered a new rocker cover gasket as mine leaks. I need tooo source an inlet manifold gasket though before that is done.
I am in the process of sourcing a radiator. Once I have that I will strip the front end down and also do my drivers side headlight that doesnt go down.

Once the cooling system is sorted and the car is stable suspension wise it will be time to see what this car can do.

From my little plays in the past this car is scary. It will easily spin in third with the smallest bit of moisture.

I have to sort out the wastegate. Its eratic to say the least. With the wastegate connected boost is there or not. Sometimes it stays in the yellow, other times it will go to the end of the gauge and then come back down. Other times theres no boost at all. After resetting the Robmod the car is superb again. It definitley goes into protection mode because of the wastegate.

Bodywork wise.. I have a good friend who will sort the car properly for about a £1000. That is chopping out bad bits and welding her up and fully resprayed. That hopefully should happen next year.
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:13 am

I had my inner and outer near side boot seals replaced and the gearbox oil topped up. The fuel filter was replaced which was easy enough. It must of been replaced recently. I've bought and fitted a probomb to quieten it down. It was fun running it with nothing but the turbo inline. It was too loud though. It is still side piped. I took the stupid bends out of the system over the axle and in and out of the backbox. It is a lot more responsive. I cant stress how much.
Im sorting the cooling system out this week. Ive ordered a new radiator and have already purchased the temperature sensor. It should be here in a few days. Its my daily driver and I can only do about 7 miles before I have to stop and top. Ive a new pipe to go on that connects to the auxilllary water pump. Whilst the nosecone is off I will fix or replace the headlamp motor.

Im struggling to find an inlet manifold gasket. Ive found the complete head kit for £48 which I will more than likely buy.

My boost problem I think is most likely the wastegate.When I pull the arm back on the wastegate and put my finger over the nipple the arm moves about halfway back. So some pressure is escaping. Im not bothering about power until Ive made the car stable again.

On the hunt for a leather interior as well. My drivers seat is a bit crap to say the least. I sat in the passenger seat the other day and it was so firm.

to be continued...
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:25 pm

The old wolf has been in surgery on and off for a few days.
The brand new radiator arrived yesterday. It was like christmas I tell you. Im sure Ive raised sea levels with my coolant loss.
Anyway. Me and my mate fitted the new radiator. I was half asleep when I undid the bottom hose to drain it. I forgot it was boiling hot. It went all up my inner arm. I soon woke up. Anyway we proceeded to fit the new radiator and new temperature sensor. I had taken my fan off of my es which is a 2 pin connection and the turbo has 3 pins. The plug casings are the same though. I tested with a multimetre and two wires had different voltage. Different speed settings. After it was all plumbed in and topped up we started her. I let the temperature get up to 95º and switched her off. The fan had not kicked in.
Gutted wasnt the word.
My mate had a play with the plug whilst the engine was running. Suddenly it kicked in. I jumped for joy whilst my mate was looking rather shocked.
I though great. This problem has been solved. I drove home and parked up...
I popped out to the car about an hour later and my heart dropped.

to be continued..
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:46 pm

I went to the car and seen a dreaded slow trickle moving down the road, once again.

This one was a new one. It was coming from the cambelt region. I thought the worst. It was dripping quite bad. I went and googled images of the engine, which wasnt helpful at all. I downloaded the partsbook off of this site which is amazing. I cant believe I havnt downloaded it before.
What did point me in the right direction was a post on this site which suggested it could be the water pump. Once the bearing or seals go water escapes out of a hole on the bottom of it. A good design to be honest.
Anyway in the morning I checked the coolant level and it had dropped from max to min. Not bad at all compared to what Ive been battling with. Previously it was using more water per mile than fuel. I topped up and drove it once again to me friend.
I suggested to him inside secretly praying that it could be the water pump. He said it was a belt off job. I read on hear that it was just a quick job. He jacked it up and confirmed it was the water pump leaking out of the hole, that it was easy and I was a lucky b@$t&rd.
One quick phonecall and I sourced one for £26.
I drove and picked it up and my mate fitted it. Topped up the coolant and ever since its been perfect.
Oil and water stay in the 80s now and I have heating back. I have to change the fan behind the glovebox as that squeals like hell sometimes..

To be continued...
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

Martin Mc
480 Rookie

Post by Martin Mc » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:31 am

Haha, these cars are magnificent in the way they get inside your head, your dreams and (sadly) your wallet so effectively :lol:

I've loved reading about your story and how you get one thing sorted, only for another annoying problem to start up almost immediately - I'm sure it is a familiar tale to many 480 owners! That said, for the times when it is all working, all stable and all as it should be, there is something special about these cars. Whether it is the odd driving position, the quirky view out of the front, the even quirkier view out of the back or just the whole experience of something 'different' from the modern mass-produced bland motor vehicle, 480 ownership has a lot to recommend it.

Congratulations on keeping the car alive, and for sharing your trials and tribulations with us on here.

Keep the story going!! :hopping:

Martin
1991 ES White / 1995 ES Red / 1995 ES Red / 1994 S Black / 1995 Celebration Red / 1994 S Paris Blue / 1995 Celebration (again!) Red - Currently free of all extramarital cars, wrench-loose and fancy free :)

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:31 pm

haha thanks...
I love the car. Everything about it. The driving position. The shape. The handling. I could go on and on and on.
It always puts a smile on my face even when it was broke. It was like waiting for christmas when I was a child waiting for her to be back on the road.
It feels good been able to make her better instead of her getting worse.

She passed the MOT today which was a relief. A few advisories but I already knew about them.

Still no coolant loss as well..

To be continued...
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:41 am

For the past few days the car has been allowed to function normally. It has been a nice change.
I have really been taking it easy and I noticed the car seemed to be really unstable at the front. Some knocking at the front on full lock as well when parking her up for the night.
The Mot was due the next morning so I took the car up to my mate to have a look
. I checked the wheel nuts and there were locked tight. We then proceeded to jack the car up. My mate was shocked at how loose the passenger side front wheel was. We could move it a little to the left and right indicating the wheel bearing. We could move it at the top and bottom indicating wishbone. Most concern was the fact we could move it basically all around the wheel. Problem was the hub nut which had worked loose somehow. There was a good half inch play. My mate tightened it up and I took it onto the bypass with a conveniant roundabout to test it on. It was a lot better.

The car made it to the Mot and passed. Advisaries were both anti-link roll bars rubbers are on the way out.
n.s wheel bearing has slight play.
nsr track arm rubber has slight play.
both inner track rod ends slight play.

I have everything apart from the wishbone and inner track rod ends.

I am not really using the turbo as it has a mind of its own. Most of the time the needle will go straight to the end of the gauge before coming back a little or the ignition cuts out. If I slam my foot down, take it off and then put it down again it seems to boost better and the needle stays at the end of the yellow.
I unplugged the solenoid? Its the sensor with the 3 pipes coming out of it. I read that this wont let the turbo go past 4psi..

This is what happened when I unplugged mine. I think this confirms it is ok. Last time I checked with a multimetre it was reading 32ohms. I believe this is acceptable.

I have taken the pipe off of the actuator pulled the arm back and put my finger over the nipple. It moved about halfway back but did hold pressure.
Im kind of stumped by this.

The car is running extremely rich as well. You can smell the unburnt fuel in the exhaust fumes. How can I lean it out a little. Ive tried messing with the maf but cant seem to get it right. My car runs 5% richer by default as the lamda sensor is disconnected.

Anyway the car is on the road for another year and Im sure things will be sorted in due course.

To be continued...
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:17 pm

Coolant levels are still as stated in the manafacturers handbook, between max and min...
Had a weird thing happen today though. I though I'll put my foot down and see what happens. I was in second. Theres no way I can put my foot down in third and see what happens as that would equate to a ban...
Anyway I put my foot down it picked up and then there was a slight hesitation. I noticed my stereo had gone off and also the Abs light had enlightened. It didnt go off until I pulled over and restarted the car. It must be a loose connection somewhere.
Ive also fitted a new stereo as the other one would cut out at high levels. It would also flash to the bass haha..
The new one is fine. The only problem isi with the side pipped probomb Im going to need 2 12" bassbins to hear the bass. I only listen to reggae. It will have to get to the point where I cant see my mirrors due to excess vibrations. I will just dampen the car a little to absorb the vibrations. Especially on the front doors.

To be continued...
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:23 pm

I decided to go mad and install 2x12" cones. Its 600w rms, about 2000w. Ive not even put it at half gain. Its heavy.
Amazing since its been installed the car has appeared to be in showroom condition sound wise, not a squeak to be heard. Im getting different door speakers, possibly Vibe Audio.. In total I want about 1000w rms. Its all about the headroom for me. Its like the power of the engine. Its nice to have plenty more power when needed instead of stressing it to its maximum..
Talking of engine power. I drove for about 100miles today. Its amazing what no leaks can do haha. Anyway the boost problem again. The car seems to be a lot more responsive at half throttle, especially under boost. If I slam my foot down hard it really struggles. If I only put it down halfway or 3/4 its a lot better. The boost gauge still goes off the dial sometimes then it comes back down. Hence the needed to come on,off and back on again...

Apart from that its running sweet...

I really need to waterproof it soon. Filler etc,etc..

Managed to change my interior fan. Glovebox out job, fiddly bolts etc.. Put the new one in and it squeaks as well. It worka though. The other one really grinds. You could hear it on the street haha

I have the one on the Es though. Its mad me sad having to take bits off of it for my Turbo.. Oh well...

To be continued.
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:22 pm

Greetings all....

Its good to be back after I had forgot my password. Thank you to Daniel who helped me gain access to my account again...

Its still running. Just

Had quite a few electrical problems in the past 6 months.. The battery light came on one day and I narrowed it down to the regulator..
I could drive the car as long as I didnt give it serious load. If I gave it a heavy load the ampmetre would go into the red. One day I forgot whilst driving and smelt the dreaded burning electric smell.. I pulled over straight away. I felt the alternator wiring, it wasnt hot and I couldnt smell the burning no more.. I traced it to my cheap dual usb car charger. The regulator came the mext day and solved the excess voltage. I do need a new alternator though. Its not great under load but does the job, battery light also still on...

Ive found out recently that the ignition relay was breaking down, that caused numerous faults throughout the months..

Last month it finally gave for good..

It was weird. I parked up at some shops, popped inside and when I came out I tried to start the car but the starter motor wouldnt engage, not even a click.. I checked the relays, wiring etc. Nothing..
What I should have checked first was the fusebox as a 20amp fuse had blown, I didnt take a note of which it was I just tried to start the car. This time the starter motor turned but no joy.. Eventually the battery died due to the iffy alternator..I tried jumping and bumping to no joy..
It started to get dark so I headed home gutted that the car was out in the wilderness. The next day I got a lift as we was going to tow her back.. I thought though I would give it another try with leads and try bridging the relays again. I tried bridging the fuel relay to no avail. Then tried bridging the ignition relay and ahe started. I just plugged the relay back in to push the wire into the plug. As I drove back the abs and exclamation mark was constantly lit. The heating wasnt working either, not on any setting..

Lucking the abs light was down to a loose relay when I was ripping them in and out. The heating was due to the fact that I had ripped a wire off of the back of the heater..

On a good note the car cutting out under heavy load has been sorted..
It was raining heavily one night and the car was misfiring once it was started. I popped the bonnet and it looked like a rave underneath, you could see a spark jumping around from the distributor to the maf jubilee clips. Needless to say I turned the car off.. One of the ignition leads had perished insulation. I changed the whole set and its been fine ever since..

The best news of all though is I will be getting classic car insurance.. Which is about 1/5 of my current insurance..
Due to being a new driver, licence held for 2 years in July, I got hammered in the first year I was paying £257 per month. Next year was £137 per month.
A fresh quote with the same company on a comparison site with 1 years no claim bonus got it to £109...
I tried classic car insurance and it came down to £257 per year.. Good times.. I though it was per month at first..

to be continued..

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:41 am

Good to see you back. You've certainly had a journey with the car haven't you?

Have you got any recent pics of it?

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:33 am

Thanks. It's good to be back.
No photos I'm afraid. Its not really concourse at the minute..
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver