The Wolf roams

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

WhiteWolf
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Re: The Wolf roams

Post by WhiteWolf » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:07 am

Greetings all....
Can anybody please link the 'how to' on getting the vem out as I've forgotten where it is, I've just stripped my dash and I thought it would be just two screws then it would pull out, no chance..
I've also ordered some headlight bulbs as my passenger side one is very dim, it doesn't do anything not even high beam, hopefully it's just the bulb as I swapped the relay over and it's still the same..
Many regards....
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:55 pm

The vacuum block at the rear needs to come off as well as the slider wire - Watch for the clip that WILL want to ping off and vanish down the back of the dashboard. I then undo the lower frame attachment points before wiggling it all out.

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:44 pm

Thankyou for the reply, I will have a look as I didn't see any more screws to undo, does it prise off or are there screws... I stupidly undid the screws from the mounting frame and managed to wriggle the vem half out the frame..
Regards
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:59 am

Soooo, I decided to have another go at removing the vem today, stripped all the dash and got as far as removing the clip and wire on top of the unit and managed to wriggle it out, I could see two plugs then about 5 wires in a plastic sleeve also connected to the unit, I couldn't see how to remove the big wires so decided to put it back together, then disaster, I couldn't get the wire back in that adjusts the temperature and I also snapped the clip.. I routed the wire to near the steering column so it's like the old style choke, I just pull it in and out πŸ˜‚ The vem is working 99% of the time, is there anyway to bypass the heater altogether as I don't need the Aircon...
Still awaiting the headlight bulbs, I just hope I don't snap the pop up lid as it sounds fun changing the bulb πŸ˜‚
Regards
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:15 pm

Today was the day I decided to change the bulbs that I hoped had blown, passenger side headlight and drivers side DRL...
Taking off the drivers side cluster was easy enough, one of the filaments had blown so I replaced the bulb but banged it when I was placing it back in blowing the filament πŸ˜‚ I had ordered two so I grabbed the other one and placed it in carefully and replaced the cluster, its brighter when the popups are down and dims when the main headlight is on, success, sadly I noticed the passenger side one needs replacing as that is just dim..
I then moved onto the headlight with a slight worry it wasn't the bulb, I stripped the popup down and pulled the bulb and it hadn't blown, what I did notice though on one of the bulb contacts is that it was rusted, I placed the new bulb in and nothing happened, gutted.. I decided to clean the plug and thankfully the bulb came on bright.. I can now drive my car at night or in the rain πŸ˜‚

The heating works if I push the VEM but that's another battle altogether, I know it isn't ideal and hopefully in the future I can take it somewhere to someone who knows what they are doing and replace it altogether, I would pay over the odds to have it fixed...
Regards
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:18 pm

One other thing is the long range lights, they only work on high beam with the popup headlights down, they don't work in any other setting not even with the switch near the heated seat switch, oh well at least I've got my headlights back πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:23 pm

WhiteWolf wrote: ↑
Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:18 pm
One other thing is the long range lights, they only work on high beam with the popup headlights down, they don't work in any other setting not even with the switch near the heated seat switch, oh well at least I've got my headlights back πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

That’s a symptom that some contacts have died in the flasher stalk. I’ve only ever fixed this by replacing itβ€” one attempt at opening it up was a disaster!
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf » Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:40 pm

jamescarruthers wrote: ↑
Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:23 pm
WhiteWolf wrote: ↑
Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:18 pm

That’s a symptom that some contacts have died in the flasher stalk. I’ve only ever fixed this by replacing itβ€” one attempt at opening it up was a disaster!
Ahh thanks for the tip, I think I have a spare one somewhere so I will give it a go πŸ‘
93 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod
91 480 Turbo white
with Roboumod..
91 480 Es silver