Finally found one.

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

theofc3s
480 Newbie

Finally found one.

Post by theofc3s » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:13 pm

As you can probably imagine i'm new here.

So for the past couple of years the 480 has been at the top of my wanted project car list and I finally got one 3 weeks ago. Already some family and friends have made the odd joke about me being 19 years old and having a Volvo 30 years too young but they all still love the look and are looking forward to seeing it on the road.

The cars a 1992 480S in black and in need of a good few bits of work. The plan is to restore her slowly over the next 6 to 8 months i work as an apprentice automotive restorer (hence the slow as £102 a week doesn't buy you a lot of parts unless parts come before food and heating) but i'll be able to drive one of the cars i dreamed of owning at a young age (i'll have insurance to deal with but i'll deal with that when it comes to it).

The car was a definition of a barn find (quite literally in a barn luckily dry) last owner bought it brand new in 1992 and kept every bit of history its done 93000 and did i mention that it sat in that barn for 8 years? 8 long years it stood all i did was put a battery in turn the key and the little bugger started first time apparently it had been started every couple of months which tells me every 6 months by the way she said it. The brakes were a little stuck on but got moving with a little revving all it needs to go back on the road is the brakes, exhaust, mirror and indicator. underneath is completely solid which means only one bit of welding for me to do on the back arch not bad for £250.

I'm on the hunt for exterior parts at the moment: passenger mirror. passenger light cluster drivers rear light cluster and maybe a passenger wing (as you've probably guessed last owner dinged it at some point all them years ago). if anyone knows any going give me a shout kinda hard to find.

I'll post a picture when the forum Allows me.
92' 480S
93' Turbo
85' Datsun laurel

past
89' Mk2 polo saloon
84' Datsun laurel

Swanny
Started learning about 480

Re: Finally found one.

Post by Swanny » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:47 pm

Congratulations! Sounds like a good find. I'm a recent first time 480'er too, bought it on a whim and fell in love instantly. I resented the potential costs at first but now I have to stop myself spending all my money on the car (instead of the fiancée). I hope you enjoy it, I drive mine 45 miles every day and I love it. :D

Swanny
480 Turbo S/R 'Matilda' - '89 red - Norfolk