My new life with a youngtimer

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

jamesy12345
480 Veteran

Re: My new life with a youngtimer

Post by jamesy12345 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:55 pm

Hi Chris, Happy New Year!!

Did you mean all of the indicators on the left side are not working? If so, could be the stalk (yes this correct terminology - I am now an 'expert' in struggling with words like this as I am translating a Renault 5 manual into English). If only two lights are working and flashing quickly then this could be caused by bad bulb or connection.

I was recently invited to work in Denmark and I was very very tempted.....maybe in the summer I will think again, after staying in my current place for 12 months.....

Good luck

ps just noticed your music list....excellent, especially track number 13. On my Volvo S70 I installed a USB/card reader connection to the standard head unit as good music in the car is important to me also :)
Current:
Volvo S60 '04
Renault 21 '91
Subaru Legacy '05
Mazda RX-7 '93
Renault 5 '84

Previous:
440 2 litre, 440 Turbo, 460 Turbo, 480 Turbo x2, 854 T-5R, S40 T4, V40 T4, S70 T5 & R, V70 R x2, S60 R

ChrisDK
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by ChrisDK » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:56 pm

Cheers Guys :)

Captain Slow I think it is a mixed problem, my car has some strange bugs ( don't they all :shock: ). But there are something fishy about my CEM
this relay is attached to the side of the CEM with some wires, don't know what it does, but it looks homemade. I'v tryed to look the relay up on the internet, but did not find out what it does. I will take a better picture of the CEM and the attached relay when possible.

Jamesy12345, none of the indicators on the left side Works, but all the bulbs are working. So it could be the stalk. In the summertime Denmark is nice, the rest of the year it's more like the UK, weather wise. But hey! Danes are nice people and we got decent beer :wink:
The stereo in the car is a SONY wuu uhh :crazy: :wink: it's got a cd player and can only recieve one radio channel (I think the aerial is missing) in most part of Jutland. But the most inportant thing - it plays The Animals and other good stuff. The sound of the speakers are surpriscingly good for a 80's' car. I think they are standart speakers.

Chris

jamesy12345
480 Veteran

Post by jamesy12345 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:29 am

How is your Swedish, Chris...? This link shows that relay is quite important but maybe not for indicators

http://www.jagrullar.se/forum/viewtopic ... 28&t=73539

Does the light on the dashboard show for the left indicators, and do you hear a 'clicking' noise when you use the stalk? I mean a repeating one like 'click-click click-click click-click click-click......'. If so the stalk switch is probably OK
Current:
Volvo S60 '04
Renault 21 '91
Subaru Legacy '05
Mazda RX-7 '93
Renault 5 '84

Previous:
440 2 litre, 440 Turbo, 460 Turbo, 480 Turbo x2, 854 T-5R, S40 T4, V40 T4, S70 T5 & R, V70 R x2, S60 R

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:04 pm

I've got mail :)

Truthfully I got it some 4 weeks ago. The yellow tape indicating a check at by the customs. But here it is, with curtesy of GlasgowJim's spare parts I've got a new indicator stalk. Beeing a student and commuting 4 hours every day havent left me much time to look further into the problem. Is there a morale to this story You might ask? yes there is :sick: Today I had the pleasure of not working and the girlfreind was off to see some freinds, which gave me the window of opportunity to go play with the Volvo. I have now decided that the Volvo is a she, no name yet, but deffinetily a she :wink:
My project was quickly halted, before I've even started, since the battery was completly dead :( and since the girlfreind had left in the Family car there was no help to get.

The morale?? never neglect your 480 for more than a week or two, she will come right back and kick You in the gentlemens parts like a warm-blooded woman :dispute: So the project is prosponed a couple of days.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:55 pm

there should be no relay attached to the side of the cem if you have a CEM 3 .

I suspect that this relay has 2 thick wires possibly red in colour and it controls the starter motor. It will have been added by a previous owner and it will probably be sticking. In my case an aftermarket remote door and alarm was fitted and I had to remove it the relay was sticking and burned out my starter motor and nearly killed my battery. Remove the relay and see what system is has been killed.

Indicator problems are usually either stalk or more often cem related eg..
intermittent wiper
rear wiper
rear wiper auto turn selection with reverse and front wipers on
no indicators at all in my case but please check the hazard warning light switch.
no hazard warning lights.

the above made driving home from work in the dark very interesting. :lol:

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:48 pm

Thanks for the advise Jim :) A freind is coming by on Friday to help start the car, and I will try to disconnect the relay and see what dosn't Work afterwards or maybe Works :eek: . And take some Pictures.
Now that You mention the wipers, I have experienced a couple of times that they stoped working, the rear wiper is disconnected, can't remember why.

Driving on a rainy night can be a thrilling experience :shock:

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:46 pm

Not sure why, but everytime i try to post in this tread I get a access denied ??

(So this is a test from another computer)

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:06 pm

Cookie issue maybe?
after over 10 years parted with the 1995 Volvo 480 ES 2.0

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:34 pm

Well anyway today I sneak out for a visit at the garage. On the agenda was changing the indicator stalk and try to get the car running.
First task went relatively easy, It didn’t give up without a fight but in the end I succeeded.

Next on the agenda was starting the car, It had a flat battery therefore I brought the Hyundai with Me. Lesson learned today, starting a car with start cables is a two man job. Much to her annoyance I had to call My girl friend to come and rev up the Huyndai as I didn’t produce enough power at idle speed to start the Volvo. But eventually I started hurra and the indicator worked the first five times then completely stopped working.
Much in distress I turned My attention to the CEM. I did not succed in taking it out and I didn’t feel confident pulling out the wires. I did manage to get a look at it, I think next thing it to try and sort out a replacement module. See more about that in another thread. But Mot date is coming closer and closer making Me a bit nervous, and that aside it would have been nice to have a drive on this lovely sunny spring Sunday.

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:36 pm

This was the original post from last sunday, but without the pictures. I just received the MOT notice, MOT is due within the next month and a half :shock:

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:49 pm

So today I received a CEM 1 with curtesy from Khight :)
Tomorrow morning a freind and his set of start cables has been enlisted for work, hopefully I will be able to finaly drive the car. More about that later :)

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:27 am

This Mornings work on the car was a succes isch :) I've managed to change the CEM but found it hard to find space for the new one. But it was connected, the car started without problems (with the help of the start cables) and off we went to top op the tires with air and go for a ride to charge the battery. Most important - the indicators works :hopping:
We took it for a 20 mile motorway cruise, and I gave it the beans :wink: and it was performing flavless. But when we returned and turned off the car, it wasn't able to start again. It seems there were at least some power on the battery, and the charging lamp did not glow while driving. But other that that, nothing happeds :cryhard: It seems odd, it cant be the starter motor because it works fine with the added help of the start cables. I'm puzzled.......

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:29 pm

So a brief update on the live of the she devil in Denmark. To solve my start problems I had to call upon a favor from an old mate. He is a mechanic and I bought My first car of him way back in 98. A very fine one owner Ford Sierra 2.0 L :) those were good times. Since that he has been helping Me from time to time, but two years ago he retired from working with cars.
He came around the other day and we had a chat about what could be the problem, in the end what he did was that he took the battery with him and charged it for three days. His point was that it had been standing for too long and thefore needed to "wake up" and that could only be done by long term charging.
This morning he care around with a full charged battery and the car fired up instantly. I had been looking in some storage boxes and found my old multimeter

To My luck it revealed that the alternator was charging :D so properly he was right. And the indicators still works :hopping: next thing before MOT, I have made an appointment next monday with our local electric guru at a company called auto-light. They will try and sort the rear fog lights, which is a total MOT failure if they don't work.
Hopefully their service will not come at a premium. Sorry I'm still unable to post pictures

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Mon May 05, 2014 7:18 am

An electrical update. I feel haunted by bad connectons :angry:
The car went to the auto-electric workshop last week, it turned out to be the contact on the dash that didn't work. I just wish the guy would have called before fixing it, because it has been fixed :) , with a universal contact under the steering wheel.
I could easily have found a replacement contact on fleebay, normally I do not see Myself as a member of das Originalpolizei but I would have prefred an original contact.

So happy I drove off but, on the way home the front left indicator stoped working, it turned out to be a loose connection, pfff that was obviously a quick fix, but immediately after, the right position light stoped working :eek: so now I have to check for loose connections there as well. And I need to the to the MOT center this week. Sometimes I really really wish I knew more about car electrics, feel kind of stupid sometimes, a faulty contact... should have been able to figure that out my self. but anyway cross your fingers for the MOT.

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Sat May 17, 2014 11:02 am

I just feel a littel sorry for my self :wink: it is absolutely gorgeous wetter, there is the main event of the year this weekend. the classic car race CRAA
http://www.craa.dk/ they state that it is the most beautiful race course in Europe, an action packed weekend. and I just can't leave my desk :cryhard:

I have a big assignment for the University, that needs to be done in mid next week, and i'm really struggeling with time. the most annouing thing is that I can just open the window and hear the noice, especially from the formula one cars, when they accelerate on the long side of the racetrack, along the water. on a side note, this university project has prevented me from taking the Volvo to it's MOT, and I will be cutting it really short by having to show up for MOT on the last day before deadline. If a skip the deadline, I will be fined and the police will come and remove the licence plates, we don't want none of that :)

Happy weekend to all

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Sat May 17, 2014 5:52 pm

I never knew Denmark is that strict. Well good luck with your university work, I hope your sacrifice will pay off for you.
after over 10 years parted with the 1995 Volvo 480 ES 2.0

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Sun May 18, 2014 9:46 pm

Thanks Van :)
The rules regarding MOT was recently changed, I think too many people were driving without a MOT for too long without consequences. I guess you will be automatically fined if you don't show up within the deadline. If you get pulled over, you will have another fine and the license plates removed. and eventually the police will come knocking at your door. If the car fails the MOT you have 14 days to correct the faults and try again. Denmark is almost as bad as Sweden regarding rules :lol:

The University work is pretty important, the project i'm working on is 2/3 of the total semester ects points, so failure is not an option.

Chris

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Mon May 26, 2014 11:10 am

DISASTER :tomato: :sick: :badmood: :badmood:
The she devil totaly failed MOT today :angry: and the MOT guy was actiolly being nice to me. List of failures

Inner and outer ball joint on left side of the car
Light adjustment
Rear wheel arches
To high CO2 at idle
Parking brakes not working at all :eek: which is kind of surprising, it's not long ago that the brakes were overhauled

So I left it at the garage to get a fixed price for the repair, the mechanic roughly estimated cost in exces of 1100 £ which I in no way can justify with my current income (I only make 500 £ as a student pr month). So tomorrow will be dooms day, do I pay up or do I scrap it. (scrapping would really kill me, you aren't allowed to take off the good parts before scrapping it.)

bollocks bollocks bollocks bollocks bollocks bollocks bollocks bollocks bollocks bollocks

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Mon May 26, 2014 1:11 pm

Can you not put it officially off the road in UK its called SORN . The headlamp adjustment is 2 minutes with a 10mm spanner so no probs there .

Inner ball joint ???

the ball joint at the end of the wishbone below hub is very cheap and a very doable DIY job. If you had the time I dont know the cost of parts in DK but I could supply one of these new uber cheap just to keep you on the road.

Richard Kenward
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by Richard Kenward » Mon May 26, 2014 1:14 pm

Dear Chris
So sorry to hear about your MOT failure...what a bummer. Crazy that you are not allowed to salvage parts before scrapping a vehical. :badmood: That does not make enviromental sense to me. Hope you can find a solution.

Good luck

Richard
Over 20 years of 480 driving and still loving it! Present one is a Burgandy 480 GT 1994 108K miles and LPG converted and fitted with Tracker so it does not get 'nicked' again!