My new life with a youngtimer

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

ChrisDK
Knows where Volvo is from

Re: My new life with a youngtimer

Post by ChrisDK » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:35 pm

New center piece, think I got the last one from Scandix last year and boy dos'it look nice :)

The final result after putting all the piece together again.

I will post better pictures after a steam wash on monday, the car has benn left out in the rain for a couple of days and it really shows. The work went rather good with no big surprises and with a coffe break or two it took about 3 hours, we took our time :) On monday I have the opportunity to borrow the garage again and I will treat the car with a steam wash and some bumber black.

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:47 am

A few pictures of the car taken a couple of days ago, after a quick wash and some bumber black :)

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:57 am

On tuesday it was beautiful weather (one of the few days this month) so naturally I took the car to the classic car meeting at Kalø castle ruins. There were a lot of people, lots of cars and lots of motorcycles so many infact that there was half a mile que just to get in to the parking lot.
Here's just a picture to show the line up.

More serious matters has happend within the last week. I have been acceptet to go to university this fall, which means a drastic change in My life style. Some might argue that I'm to bloddy old to go university :roll: but nevertheless I'm going which means a serious cut in income, so much that I will have to let the volvo go. there is no way in hell I will be able to keep it :cry: So if anyone on mainland europe needs a LHD volvo it's up for sale, haven't got around to advertise it yet, I wonder why ??

jamesy12345
480 Veteran

Post by jamesy12345 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:16 am

Never too old Chris! I just finished a 7-year long uni qualification

(while working full-time of course I'm no full time student)
Current:
Volvo S60 '04
Renault 21 '91
Subaru Legacy '05
Mazda RX-7 '93
Renault 5 '84

Previous:
440 2 litre, 440 Turbo, 460 Turbo, 480 Turbo x2, 854 T-5R, S40 T4, V40 T4, S70 T5 & R, V70 R x2, S60 R

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:14 pm

Thanks for the support jamesy12345 :D 7- year qualification ?? I just did a 2 year qualification while working fulltime, and it was a bitch :? can't imagine what it would be like for 7 years.

But hey I'm back :) haven't been on the forum for a looooong time. First I had a four week period without internet then I have been working a lot, got to finish a lot at Work. Is the Volvo still alive and kicking YES IT IS :D
Sadly I haven't had the chance for longer trips this summer, just the odd trip to the supermarked, but it has behaved and is very well running at the moment :hopping: It has been up for sale on only one Danish internet site, haven't bothered to really advertise it. I think I'm posponing the inevitable. Road tax and insurence is paid for the Next 6 month so I'm in no hurry - bet My bank manager thinks othervise :shock:

jamesy12345
480 Veteran

Post by jamesy12345 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:53 am

Working full time is exactly why it took me so long....like a prison sentence :wall:

Good to see you still have the Volvo! It's a shame you need to sell it :(, sounds like me - I'm a good buyer but a terrible seller
Current:
Volvo S60 '04
Renault 21 '91
Subaru Legacy '05
Mazda RX-7 '93
Renault 5 '84

Previous:
440 2 litre, 440 Turbo, 460 Turbo, 480 Turbo x2, 854 T-5R, S40 T4, V40 T4, S70 T5 & R, V70 R x2, S60 R

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:52 pm

That sounds just like me. A good buyer and a terrible seller often wish it was the other way round :wall:
So last weekend I took the Volvo to a Classic car meeting in a small village just 20 miles south of My home town. It was a pleasent cruise down the C roads.

This was My favorite of the day.

Since I havn't succeded selling the car yet I might as well continue improving it. Next on the to do list is sorting the minor rust spots, more about that later. Unfortunately due to the Finans crisis the body shop whom I had counted to do the rear Arches have closed. Will have to figure out how to solve that problem.

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:40 pm

Not much happening in Volvo land. It has been running really really good these last month :hopping: Havn't had the time to do anny of the things on my to do list. Today I went to a race curciut not far from where I live. Sadly it vasn't in the Volvo over the last week it has beveloped a sound track like the ones on the starting grid

I'm not sure where it comes from, but I suspekt it to be around the cat, where it is put togehter with the rest of the exhaust system, will need to have that fixed in the near future, I hope.

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:31 am

Hi All :)
The exhaust issue revealed itself a couple of days later.
On one of My odd trips to the supermarked the level of noise changed dramatically. It was handed over to the local garage that could inform me that it was cat who had disolved. :badmood: :badmood: oh bugger on top of the cat, the lambda broke and a odd sensor in the motor. I guess it was at the garage for more than a week, the mechanic managed to get a used lambda from the UK at a lover Price - but still it was the single biggest repair so far :cryhard: :cryhard:

To make things worse, I hadn't had the time to drive it after the repair so the other day I took it out for a quick drive, on returning I had to open the driver window to get into the underground parking and the window suddently decided to stay in a open possition. I can hear the motor spinning but no movement of the window, it's not ideal driving around with a open window these days with all the storms and rain. Hopefully I will have time to sort it out next week.

Nice weekend to all :)

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:47 pm

I guess the cable has snapped. Bad luck for you. You'll need a new window lift mechanism. They'll do from €50,- upwards.
after over 10 years parted with the 1995 Volvo 480 ES 2.0

paposki
480 Newbie

Post by paposki » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:44 am

I bought R/S window mechanism in Poland(used: 20euro+post).
Do you want to buy L/S(driver side in Europe)?If is still for sale...-I have a call to him.
ex v40 1.8
ex s80 2.4 D5
480se 1.7 Paris Blue
s80 T6

Richard Kenward
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by Richard Kenward » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:16 pm

Dear Chris

Full marks for doing all the work you have done on your car and so sorry that you feel that you have to sell her. Thank you so much for the very entertaining reports which I've just seen and read right through!

Best wishes to you for your plans for the future and hoping that the car will give you less pain and that you will find a way to hang onto it! :)

Cheers

Richard
Over 20 years of 480 driving and still loving it! Present one is a Burgandy 480 GT 1994 108K miles and LPG converted and fitted with Tracker so it does not get 'nicked' again!

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:41 pm

Cheers Richard :D I appriciate Your support, and thanks to Paposki for his offer. To update what's been happening the last month or so is really easy, NOTHING :shock: well the truth of the matter is that I took the door apart a while ago just to comfirm what Van suggested, a broken cable :cry: so the hunt was in for a new or second hand window lift mechanism. I quickly ran out of luck and ended up ordering a brand new from Valeo. Got it from France for 100£ which is still half Price compared to Denmark. It has been laying around for a while and in the mean time the car has been totaly neglected. BUT! today I found the time to give it some quality time :lol:

I took it for a quick spin, just to warm up the engine and to top op with air in the tires and some gasoline. Note the almost fully open window, a bit unpractical but on the upside You get to hear that lovely purr from the exhaust :) Oh what a joy it is to drive, haven't really driven it since the major repair in October, but today at least it drove beatifully :hopping: nice smooth acceleration all the through the rev counter. Tomorrow it will go to the garage to have the window mechanism fixed, initially I was going to do it my self but I'm short for time and need the car running for christimas, I bet You all recognizes the logistical nightmares around Christmas?

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:06 pm

I'm glad to be helpful and I think €100 for a new window mechanism is a very decent price. Best wishes and drives for Christmas!

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:43 pm

So the car came home from the workshop, and the window is working (isch) it goes up and down but it's not what you would call rapid movement. but it's Works which makes the car ready for the Christmas cruise :)
A small, but important job has been posponed until now - Music for driving a very important issue.

With the girlfreind out of the house I finaly got around to make the "perfect" music cd for driving. Maybe I'm getting old :lol: but My taste in music changes from time to time, these days (for driving) I prefer good old music, with guitar and less umph umph umph rythem. Other days I prefer the umph umph :)

Merry Christsmas to all the 480 drivers outthere :D

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:30 pm

If you ever visit me, and you're hereby invited, you'll enjoy my music. 100% satisfaction guaranteed.

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:40 am

Thanks for the invite Van :hopping:

So Christmas is finaly over and a new year is here. Just to comment on the Christmas cruise, it all went well more or less. On the first trip across jutland i was cruising at 115-120 km/h with comfort duing a respectable 7.8L/100km on the return trip in was quite different :) maybe some of the Irish and Uk based 480 drivers notised a light breese around the 27th? well we got the left overs, the hole trip was in crosswind and heavy rain, which made overtaking lorry's a nerve wrecking experience the fuel ecconomy was down to 9.3L/100km with the speed being no more than 90 km/h and it was dark outside. What worried me most was the fact the the cars from behind pulled right up my but and flashed me :badmood: maybe it was funny the first few times but after the 25th time I was blinded and my night vision totaly gone. It seems that the other driveers did not think that I had light on the rear of the car, which I did. Ok I'll admit it has the power of two candels, but still. (maybe I will look into that in another thread) and another "funny" thing the indicator stopped working, but only to the left, the right was working fine. It was the relay, I think that maybe it got wet in the heavy rain annyone else ever experienced that? the fault was periodic, when I returned to my home city it suddently was working againg. In Denmark it is mandatory to indicate when changing lanes. But overall the car drowe perfect and I enjoyed it were much, at least on the outbound :eek:

Richard Kenward
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by Richard Kenward » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:58 pm

Dear Chris

A very happy New year to you and all members. I suspect that the problem with the indicators is most likely to be at the connection to the indicators rather than the relay as the relay is working OK on the indicators on the other side.

Cheers

Richard
Over 20 years of 480 driving and still loving it! Present one is a Burgandy 480 GT 1994 108K miles and LPG converted and fitted with Tracker so it does not get 'nicked' again!

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:38 pm

Hi Richard
Thanks for Your input :) I have been reading old forum posts and as far as I understand the relay is situated inside the CEM, and properly won't get wet during rain. I have been driving it a few times, and the indicator works, sometimes :cry: I suspect it could be the "stalk" (is that the correct term?) connected to the stearing collum, it seems to help wrickling it a bit. Guess I will have replace that.

Cheers
Chris

Captain Slow
480 Expert

Post by Captain Slow » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:45 pm

Had a vaguely similar indicator problem a few years ago which might have been caused by one of the plugs to the CEM being not fully enguaged-If you've done anything with CEM recently it might be worth a quick check?
Previously....
Whitney - 95 N White celebration No.449/480 now with Ladyforatey
Lula - 94 M Volvo 480GT Sold on...
Daphne - 95 M volvo 440si 1.8 73,000K (sold :()