My new life with a youngtimer

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

ChrisDK
Knows where Volvo is from

Re: My new life with a youngtimer

Post by ChrisDK » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:58 pm

THE LIGHT BULB CONSPIRACY

I'm somewhat puzzled. After careful reading of the instruction manual I ordered some BA9s led bulbs
This is it

And this is the one I removed from the socket

place them next to each other and the problem becomes obvious

another picture to show the difference

So if the LED's is BA9s what the F is the original bulb?? it clearly don't fit the socket. The bulb that I removed is so coroded that is it impossible to read what is says or maybe I need reading glasses :? I suspect it is a BA15s but I'm not sure, can annyone enlighten me ? and if it is then it can't be a 4w or can it? sooooo the problem is what kind of bulb to order ? I'm beginning to think I'm either stupid or unlucky - no coments on that !! :wink:
On the front cluster issue ther seems to be light at the end on the tunnel :crazy: (sorry silly danish humor) with good help from the forum, as always, their might be a cluster on the way. More projects is evolving, I'm having a week off work later this month and I'v allready enroled my freind to come help tackle some of the things that needs to be done on the car, but more about that later. Good weekend to all in Volvo land ;)

AcidicDavey
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by AcidicDavey » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:26 pm

Order some from Spree off here, I made a post about them in my thread a little while ago, he sells great quality bulbs :D
Poppy sold 2 year ago, sorely missed :(

Now driving my 98 V70 AWD inherited 8 years ago!

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:24 pm

Thanks Davey :) I'v been mening to ask You if Your bulbs are the can-bus type or You had to put in an ekstra resistor (??) to prevent fail warning in the instrument panel ?

I have been researching a bit and I will shed some light on the stupid/unlucky question - seems I'm somewhat stupid or at least need reading glases :wall: I'm to young for that :badmood:
according to the Danish instruction manual the parking light can either be Ba9s if it's only parking light or Baz15d if it's combined parkinglight/DLR with a 21w bulb ? which seems odd as it is exactly the same as the front indicator lights, and the one I removed was 5w. But hey what do I know :)

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:00 am

I'm still puzzled by the light bulb conspiracy. But yesteday it struck me, my car ain't danish - It was sold in switzerland and imported to denmark in 1999 where it stood in a garage for 10 years before it was back on the road in 2009. The instruction manual that I have is danish and therefore not the original wich could explain the confusion about sertain things. hmmm :(

Well it's the week where I'm off work and should be working on the car, but I have started out with three days and counting in bed with back pain. Hopefully I will be able to work later this week. There are a lot of issues I would like to tackle while i'm off work.

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:52 pm

Argh :kill: :kill: :kill: three times have I got a timeout and been thrown off the forum, just as I was 95 % finish with a post.
Therefor It will be in a few bits.

A job long ovedue is a good cleaning and a prober car wash is out of the question due to water leaking in the boot.

But here are a few pictues of what I'm fighting

The prefered weapon of choise is a usual the steamer. This time the Shark 5.5 bar steamer

It really does the job :D

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:03 pm

I didn't manage to get good pictures of the process, but It took a few good hours. All in all I spend 6 hours cleaning the car (it was really dirty) It got a good wash, Trutle wax cleaner, polish another wash then turtle wax nano something caranuba wax and a final polish. the second wash only took 7 minutes and I rekon that reguarly clened it won't take long to wash the car. The steamer dosn't do the job for You but it makes it a hell lot easier. All You need is a steamer some microfiber cloths and aprox 1.5 liter of tab water, no shampoo, buckets, gardenhose and so on. I'v managed to impress my mate, he had a set of dirty alloys wich was totaly cleaned and sparkling in 20 minutes.
I had a go at the interior as well, don't do it in a garage as i did :eek: Next time I will spend a little more time working with the cleaner, got rid of most of the surface rust and odd dots.

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:11 pm

Here are a few pictures of the result. Pictures are thankfull :) You can't see the rust spots.

All in all it was a bless working with the steamer, I can only recomend it :D Next on the agenda is looking at a few electrical problems, changing of some light bulbs and other stuff, maybe treating the bumpers with bumper black. Hopefully that will be done on friday. On the way is a front cluster and a set of rear cluster seals. When the seals arrive I will try tackling the job of changing the rear clusters and sealing the rear window at the same time, but I don't think it will be this week.

jamesy12345
480 Veteran

Post by jamesy12345 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:05 pm

love the Dancing Moose stickers Chris!
Current:
Volvo S60 '04
Renault 21 '91
Subaru Legacy '05
Mazda RX-7 '93
Renault 5 '84

Previous:
440 2 litre, 440 Turbo, 460 Turbo, 480 Turbo x2, 854 T-5R, S40 T4, V40 T4, S70 T5 & R, V70 R x2, S60 R

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:41 pm

Chris when you have to write a long post, copy and paste it to notepad a couple of times, and save that.
after over 10 years parted with the 1995 Volvo 480 ES 2.0

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:49 am

Thanks for the comments. I like the dancing moose too it gives the car a touch of sportiness LOL, Van I'm now trying the notepad trick, since this post was timed out too, not only once but twice even though I used the notepad.

But here are a brief update on yesterdays work. Picked up the front cluster I got from j480es, gave it a qiuck polish and on the car.

While I was at it I changed the 5w bulbs to 21w making it a proper DLR, the bulb sockets I got don't support the 21w/4w solution but it dosn't matter. The 21w gives sooo much more light and gives me the choise of weather to pop-up or not. the lamps got a littet hot thoung but I hope it dosn't matter.

A while ago I got a interior light from Marek, got it changed today - nice

My mate and I had a look around the eceltronics, very confusing, I have a problem with the long range light and the rear fog's not working at all. So all the fuses were cheked and the rear fog bulbs replaced, still didn't work. I even had a look at the relay box but >I'm not sure if I'm missing a relay if not I'm having a nasty bug in the electronic system.

Yet another update. Tomorrow the car is going to the work shop to get an air pipe/vacum thing hose changed, hopefully that will make riding more smooth as it has started rattel and shaking again. And I it is ready on wednesday I have an apointment to see a man about the rear wheel arches.

sorry folks no pictures in this post, everytime I try po post pictures I get timed out. Oh Oh and the seals for the rear clusters came with the post this morning, they look really nice.

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:47 pm

A breif update. I got the new seals for the rear clusters a couple of days ago and thought I would share this with You. I got them from Joep in Holland he is mentioned in a thread in the forum, can't remember wich. But if annybody else needs new seals for the rear clustres You can email him at joepvrijling@tele2.nl He supplies very quickly :) .

Other than that I picked up the car from the garage today and had a chad with the mecanic. Brake fluid, oil, oil filter and the air pipe vacum tube thing was fixed. He recon's the rough running might be down to the mass air flow meter, maybe My imagination is playing with My mind but I had a distinct feeling that the engine was running much better and even the throttle responce was better, but as I said maybe My imagination was telling Me the car was fixed, I pain for the repair therefor it was running better :eek:
BUT My needs for spares seems to never end. The expansion tank for the cooling fluid is leaking and a new one is needed, ennyone got ideas where to find a new one ??

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Wed May 08, 2013 3:56 pm

Yesterday it was nice ewather for a drive, so Me and a mate went to the Kalø castle ruins a good 40 min drive away from our town. Every tuesday in the sommer there is an informal meeting. Classic cars on the one side of the road and motorcycles on the other side of the road. It is not a organized meeting, people just show up and have a good time.

Did you spot the white 480 ? NO let's try again

NO ?? :cryhard: :cryhard: I wasn't there. It was at the garage again!!

Lots of motorcycles

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Wed May 08, 2013 5:39 pm

Once again I was cut off from the forum, don't really knows what happens it seems like I get an IP band, I literally has to restart the computer defore I'm able to lockin again :?

But here's the picture of the motorcycles. Notice the castle ruins in the background

To my surprice there was a 480 at the meeting.

The weather was really nice and there was about 100 cars and 200 motorcycles :) the queue to the kiosk was too long and the thought about coffe was abandonded.

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Wed May 08, 2013 8:37 pm

Here comes the garage stories. I have been noticing some knocking sounds it's been coming and going and I wrote it off as just sounds from an old car. I put in the car on monday to have the expansion tank changed as it was leaking cooling fluid, the mechanic had a closer look underneath the car and it turned out that the left side ball joint (??) something attatched to the stearing was broken and the right side wheel baring also was broken, and since he was goint to take it all apart the sencible thing to do was change both things on both side. Uhh and the disks needed replacement too. :(

So apart from the expancion tank, two ball joints and two wheel barings the front disk was replaced, I have not got the bill yet but I suspect it's not a cheap fix.
I don't dare sum up all the money spend on mecanical things but a rough guess would be 1700 £ which means I have paid 1,17 £ pr kilometer I have driven so far, and that's just repair cost!!
I still need to tackle rust and paint :badmood: on top of that the engine is still not running smooth. I need a bit of streangh, courage and wisdom. I think the cost of fixing the car has by far superseeded the value and for that kind of money I could have bought a MG Midget or a BGT in the Uk and importet it to Denmark. I'm totaly in a bad mood at the moment, hopefully things will look better tomorrow.

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Tue May 21, 2013 10:16 am

Not much going on in the Danish 480 garage at the moment, the mood is still bad. Last weekend I took the car and the girlfreind to visit some freinds, we did a 150 km round trip with speeds between 120 - 150 km/h with an average comsumption of 7.1 L/100 km Not that bad actualy :) and the car was rock steady at 150 km/h no fuss, even the girl freind was a littel bit impressed.

This weekend we had the Classic Race Aarhus in our city, I live only 1 mile away so there was no point driving to the event. I did try to take some pictures but the cars was moving to fast or maybe I was to slow taking pictures, I reckon youtube can provice footage for those who are interested in the event.

I got the bill from the garage the other day and to no surprice it was massive :cryhard: wich meens I will have to wait a bit before I'm able to ordre more spare parts, Right now I'm looking at the MAF and the idlecontrol to fix the reacurring problem with unstalbe motor. Hopefully I will be able to borrow My freinds garage with in the next week or so to check out the fuse box, his garage has electricity in case I need to do some soldering. I also need his garage in order to change the rear clusters, I'm still debating what to do. The problem is that there is a bit of rust underneeth the left side cluster and I really want to fix that while the cluster is out. I don't have the equipment to blast or sand it down or paint the area but I rekon it would be foolish not to adress the problem before replacing the clusters.

Happy driving to all :)

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:08 pm

Yesterday I took the Volvo to the race curcuit closest to My town, it's called The Jytlands Ring and is only a 40 min drive away - and NO I didn't get to take the Volvo around the curcuit :cry: But there was lots of entertainment. It was classic car race weekend with the attendense of the royal house, one of the prince's is actually several time Danish champion in his Lotus Cortina. It was good fun, nice sonny weather, a few beautiful girls :) and lots of nice cars.

The Volvo performed flawless, within the boundaires of it's issues :) Right now I'm waiting to receive a new MAF from UK and I'm hoping it will be here within the next two days as I can borrow My mate's garage on wednesday to check the fuse box and hopefully change the MAF. I've read on a Volvo forum somewhere that it could be the reason for the rough running.

There was lots of nice cars, and the MG club had some odd 25 cars on display and they got the opportunity to test the race curcuit, lucky bastards :wink: In My next post hopefully there will be some pictures (got thrown off the forum again)

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:00 pm

Another try at posting pictures :)

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:21 pm

So !! Big day in the garage today. A lot of work was on the agenda and it went rather good.

First thing first. I got the new MAF from a supplier on EBAY last week.

The Old MAF

New MAF

Installation was a breese (for a new bee like Me) I didn't really have the chance to check for a bifference I only had a short drive home, but it seemed like the engine was running smooth.

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:26 pm

Next thing on the agenda was a combined job. Changing the rear clusters (with courtesy of GlascowJim) sealing the rear window and changing the center plate.

Work in progress, dismantling the interior

Clusters removed revealed some minor rust spots, as of now I didn't want to tackle this problem.

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:30 pm

More interior bits was removed and the rear window was sealed, and hopefully watertight from now on

After the installation of the new rear clusters they were sealed to make sure no water can leak in.