My new life with a youngtimer

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

ChrisDK
Knows where Volvo is from

Re: My new life with a youngtimer

Post by ChrisDK » Tue May 27, 2014 10:03 am

Thanks for the support :)

Jim, you know me and technical terms, not a good match. The rules in denmark are quit complicated, the way I have understood it is like this. When the car is road worthy you can deliver it to scrap, but it has to be able to drive there legaly, you will then receive a bonus of 100 £ from the government. You are allowed to take off the numberplates and make it SORN (and then take of the pieces you need) but if you then need to scrap the remains of the car, it will have to be toved away for which you will pay 130 £ (because the scrap dealer need to drain it for fluids) very strange and complicated, very Denmark.

anyway I'm going t have a chat with the mechanic shortly, and see what my options is.

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Thu May 29, 2014 12:22 pm

So the giraffe was no incident: 480s are treated the same in Denmark. I have to say, this really changes my view on your country. At the same time I realize any country will have it ridiculities.
after over 10 years parted with the 1995 Volvo 480 ES 2.0

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:49 pm

Like Dr. Frankenstein said IT'S ALIVE, IT'S ALIVE :shock:

So.. I have been preocupied with exams at the university for the last couple of weeks, but that is over and it's time to catch up with the she devil (not the mrs :wink: )
It has been sitting at the workshop for many weeks now, but yesterday I picket it up. It now got a fresh MOT and will survice until next time. All the things on the faliure list was taken care of, and it now has a clean MOT. Some of the things was done without charge, like the CO2 and the parking brake, my mechanis is old school and takes a professional pride in his work, which you can only respect and apreciate.
(on a note it nearly failed due to matte rear clusters, so they need another polish) Hopefully I can work my debt off by sweeping floors and washing cars ha ha :)
First thing, next week is a good wash and then I guess I will start tackling the minor rust spots, or just enjoing driving it again.

Cheers

Chris

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:54 pm

@Van

No the giraffe is just the beginning :( but a funny thing is, fewer cars are scrapped now than before. An african freind of mine told me a few days ago that it is popular to buy old Toyota's and ship them to Africa. Africans simply love Toyota's and there are no more Peugeot 404/504 left to buy.

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:13 am

I'm happy for you and the car you escaped.

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:05 am

So.. have You been enjoing your car? You might aks.
NO.....It's been sitting at the same spot the last two weeks
Have You been busy ? is that it ?
YES... I have been busy, got work buring the summer to save up money for next semester at the university. But that is not why
What then??
ARGH...... to fix the CO2 problem the mechanic disconected some sort of filter in the engine, which led to lower emmision, but with the bad side effect that the car is almost impossible to start in first gear. the engine rattels and shakes wildly, at one point it shaked so much the it jumped out of gear. I have been looking at the various components in the engine, and the only filter I can find is some sort of charcol filter :o I just need to locate the bugger and reconnect it, hopefully that will make the engine run better.

Fourteen days ago the mrs and I were going to visit some freinds that lives across town. The mrs do not like driving the Volvo :shock: but on this occation I persuaded her, only to find out that it was driving really bad, and on top of that the pop up's decided to stop popping up. We were meeting with the freinds at a restaurant and were supposed to go to their house for coffe afterwards so I quickly realized we would be going back after dark, properly not a good thing without lights, so I had to go back through town, leave the Volvo pick up the Hyundai go back to the other end of town. Can You image my mood ??

So hopefully this weekend I have time to sort out things, could it be a fuse, loose connection or the pop up relay ??, and I need to find the charcol thingy.....

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:48 pm

RUST MASTER :shock:
So with the mrs out of the house, it is time to catch up with all the projects. As stated in the previous update, there are a few issues to tackle. With the help of the forum I have located the charcole thingy.. but I guess I need better working facilties than the parking lot. Hopefully I can borrow a garage from my freind, but he's going on vacation and won't be back the next couple of weeks. The second issue was the headlights not popping up, I was poking around yesterday trying to find a way to locate the fault. And I figured that the headlight contact needs to be working to enable the rear fog lights to turn on, and they didn't. They only operate with the headlights up, so I'm hoping that a new headlight contact will do the trick.

But on today's agenda was rust repair. and for that I have bought this.
It seemed easy enough to work with, and I applyed it to warious places, see pictures below (if I'm able to attach pictures to day)
And a few other places. I'm looking forward to see the result tomorrow, but it seems that the treated areas goes black :( It might stop the rust from spreading but It won't do any good for the visual impression.

sorry no pictures. will try to change file type, that might be the problem

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:29 am

Changing the format on the pictures and resizing them did not help, so You will have to use your imagination :)
I was playing around with the car this morning, and took it for a quick test drive and much to my surpirce it drove really good, no shaking or what have you. I did try to remove the inner lining to get to the charcole filter but it's not possible without removing the wheel, so that will be another day.

The rust converter does in deed go black, and to be honest, it dosn't look to good. I'm thinking of buying a cheap airbrush set..... but I need to investigate the implications more.
So besides no light, I had a plesant little drive to the gas station to full up the tires with air.

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:31 pm

I used something similar and for as much as I know the rust converter should go black. You can't expect it to go to your paint color. Due to chemical reaction it changes rust to something else. You may have to apply it several times. Finally, sand it, ground it and paint it.

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:53 am

I wish it would come in car specific colors :D no just joking, it the bottle it looked more grey isch which would match the rear lights :shock: ha ha
On the serious part, I'm thinking of investing in a small airbrusch to paint it later, any one got experiences with airbrusch's pro - cons ?

I took the car out for a quick spin this morning, even without lights it was a beautiful trip through the forest and coastline listening to quality music. I should proberly get a camera man/woman and make a short film.

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:00 am

A few days ago, the new headlamp control came, with courtesy of Glasgow JIm's sparelist :) I have not had the time to change the headlamp control yet, been soooooo busy working last week, both at my summer job and at a coffe shop at our local festival. In danish it's called SMUK FEST which translates to Beautiful Party, which dosn't really make sence, but it's a big festival with more than 30000 vicitors situated in a beech forest. So i'm now a master in making espresso, cappucino and cafe latte :D
At the same time, I won a bidding on flee bay, and is now the owner of a complete Airbrusch set with compressor and what have you. All I need now ot to locate the color code, order some filler, grounder, sandingpaper, paint and borrow a indoor garage to do the work.

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:37 pm

I'm going all in :)
I have just ordered paint, sandingpaper, filler/grounder and what I need to tackel the paint job, just need some nice weather, well at least a couple of days without rain.
I have also ordered some plastic primer and 2k lacquer, I was thinking that while i'm sanding and painting I might as well try to improve the clarity of the rear clusters, and I found a "how to" So I guess I will be sanding and lacquering the rear clusters. Off course I will share my experience :)

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:40 pm

:cryhard: :cryhard: :cryhard:
Sorry I'm just in a really bad mood at the moment, if it ain't the mrs who is giving me gray hair it's the she devil. I been poking around this morning, trying to get some light on the car. No lights and no wiser, in all my effort I blew a few fuses and the front parking light bulb. It took me ages to get it changed as the pop-up have desided to stay down. work work work putting it all together and taking it for a short spin, only to realise that front indicator bulb is not working, so I have to repeat the process again. I'm fed up with electrical problems, they have been preventing me from driving all summer. The problem is that I have just started an internship where I will be needing a car to get around, on a daily basic.
Sometimes I actually dream about having a Volvo 340/360 no difficult electronics, rear wheel drive and better supply of spare parts but don't tell. And the most sad part is, that the car drives beautiful now, today's spin was a bliss.

Joolz
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by Joolz » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:30 pm

have you put the correct bulbs in your sidelights?? the correct bulbs have offset pins if they are not offset they will fail, also there is a manual switch which will raise the headlights, its a little white ish round thing as I recall, if you do a search you'll find it on here. :D
Volvo 480 Celebration 466 Dark Grey Metallic (PUS)
previously
Volvo 480 2 ltr Paris Blue
Volvo 480 2 ltr Peacock Green
Volvo 480 1.7 White
Volvo 760 GLE Saloon 2.8 V6 Blue

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:37 pm

Thanks Joolz

The bulbs should be the correct type, they have worked so far. Yes I found the little white bugger :) it's a pain to raise them :shock: well not to raise them but to get to the little white nob. Thanks for Your advice.

Regards
Chris

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:54 pm

Update time. Not so much to update on, the pop-ups still don't work. The family I30 diesel is now gone, it was sold a couple of weeks ago and of yesterday the mrs and I are now owners of a used citybug (C1) we will have it delivered next week. It's cheap, got good milege and the mrs think it's cute :? so that schould be all right. speeking of fuel consumptiion, I have been using the Volvo to commute when ever I knew I would be able to go home before it was dark. It seems that it dos not like rush hour trafic ha ha ha at one point I only got 25L/100km but other than that it has behaved and delivered stable commuting.

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:55 pm

Just for Fun.
I found an online service where you can see how many cars are still registered in Denmark. The 480 is a rare breed around here.

In total 274 Volvo 480 have been registered
45 have survided and are still registered
10 have been exportet
and the rest? death by rust, perhaps.

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:58 pm

FINALLY :hopping:

The missing light have caused some logistical problems over the last many month, but especielly now that we have entered the dark period of the year. As you know I have tried all sorts of things, with no luck. I haven't had the time or money to go to the mechanic, but last week I finally made an appointment with the local auto electrician, and it turned out that all my problems were due to a faulty connection in the fuse box, there was no connection with fuse nr. 22 a quick soldering and the light works again. A fault that I would never have found, makes me wonder if resoldering all the connections on the back of the fuse box would be a good thing, it proberly would.
But hey presto :D I can drive without planning to be home before the street lights are turned on. NICE!!

jamesy12345
480 Veteran

Post by jamesy12345 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:04 am

Glad to see the car is still with you Chris, keep at it!
Current:
Volvo S60 '04
Renault 21 '91
Subaru Legacy '05
Mazda RX-7 '93
Renault 5 '84

Previous:
440 2 litre, 440 Turbo, 460 Turbo, 480 Turbo x2, 854 T-5R, S40 T4, V40 T4, S70 T5 & R, V70 R x2, S60 R

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:12 pm

Thanks James :) it's still alive and driving well.
Only a small issue has occured within the last days. The indicators are getting pretty intermittent, to the left it stoped working a couple of times on the way home friday and to the right the interval vary according to the speed i'm traveling at. Makes me wonder if I soon need another CEM. By the way does any one know of a electronic mechanic (that's what they are called in denmark) a old school electrician or company that can solder and possibly change a relay on the CEM board ? and that service these kind af things? years back we had several places that could fix old electronics, but with modern time they seem to have disapeard.

I know that there are places around Europe the services dials, spedometers and other things mechanical things for old cars, but haven't heard about electronic services.

Chris