Poppy the Celebration - AcidicDavey's Turn!!

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Lee77
Started learning about 480

Re: Celebration - AcidicDavey's Turn!!

Post by Lee77 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:26 pm

Those wheels look great!, where'd you find them?

I ended up selling the oz ones.. They were a little too boy racer for me.. Bought the volvo 480 turbo ones that were on eBay recently and am now selling the Vesa ones

AcidicDavey
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by AcidicDavey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:15 pm

Well I got the wheels off eBay, always searching for 4x100 alloys ;) I think Oscam actually made the Vegas for Volvo so they basically are the same but without Volvo on the centre caps :D

This happened today...

And sod it, here they are on the car!
Poppy sold 2 year ago, sorely missed :(

Now driving my 98 V70 AWD inherited 8 years ago!

Lee77
Started learning about 480

Post by Lee77 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:40 pm

They look great.. Similar to the turbo ones I've put on

AcidicDavey

Post by AcidicDavey » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:26 pm

Thanks bud ;) I'm really, really pleased with them. These are staying! :D

Today after a quick wash...
ImageImage
ImageImage

I'm in love with these wheels

AcidicDavey

Post by AcidicDavey » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:29 pm

Well, this little car nearly met it's maker last week. Went round a corner (sensibly ;) ) on a country road and there was a bloody lorry driving towards me just to go around a little twig, at least I know the brakes work! Bloody hell!!

Also, the exhaust has started to blow (it's only 2 years old!), thank God for the lifetime guarantee :D

Annnd... As you may have read elsewhere the info-centre was playing up last week. Freezing, full illumination and zero illumination but today and yesterday it was absolutely perfect!

The car is totally disgusting right now after 2 weeks, took a buddy back up to uni in Birmingham yesterday but once we got there he realised he forgot his bloody key. Some people just need shooting don't they? :p

frow
480 Newbie

Post by frow » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:18 am

Great work with the new wheels, car looks so much better! :D

AcidicDavey

Post by AcidicDavey » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:44 pm

Thank you, I'm so happy with the way the car looks now but.......

I'm really struggling to fight the urge to put the car for sale. Yes, less than a month ago I was all for the idea of lowering it and continuing to make it minty but know I'm thinking I should just put the money to the side, sell the 480 and it's bits so I can buy something else! I'm such an indecisive fool aren't I?

I'd love a BMW E30, Saab 900 Classic, Peugeot 205 GTi ... the list goes on and on!

But then, when I clean up the 480 I think "My God do I have a nice car, could I really sell it?"
I'd probably ask too much for it anyway lol

Here are some photos from today:

In this 'shot' you can see my sunglasses storage solution and my fab PacMan tax disc holder! :D

Do I still want to sell it?

:? :? :?

AcidicDavey

Post by AcidicDavey » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:24 pm

I do indeed love this little beast and it seems to get a lot of attention!
Sat on the doorstop this afternoon while the car was on the road as I was cutting the hedge a large group of people walked past and the one shouted out "WOW! Look at that little Volvo! And look at that one on the drive!" Another one said "Yeah I really like that blue Volvo!" That made me smile lol.

Well anyway I got hold of a 'Headlight Lens Restoration Kit', I thought at a £10er it was worth a punt, it took a while and it has improved them, but of course they aren't 'As new' :P

Started with the front clusters. They really improved the outside of them but due to Volvo's hot bulbs they put in the DRL the inside is still um, how do I put this? Aged! I'll say it again, if you've got good clusters then upgrade to some LED bulbs from Spree on the 480 forums to stop your's aging like mine!

In this pic the right one has just been worked over, can't get the dirt from in between the lenses sadly :(

Dried and fitted back to the car:

And the backs, they would look good after a polish but by the time they were dirty and washed again they looked kac again!

One down, one to do...

All sorted and looking much better, I'll get another photo tomorrow when the sun's on the car a bit more.

I may be tempted to get my V70 back on the road. I took it off the road in June as I got bored. Nearly had it six years now! Inherited it when I was 15 off the old man, nearly sold it back when, glad I ended up keeping it :D
Here is a couple of pics taken after I put the refurbished Comets on it March 2012 (wish I didn't go for such a dark colour now):

jamesy12345
480 Veteran

Post by jamesy12345 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:14 pm

Davey, check out the Wheeler Dealers episode with the Saab 900 turbo...almost made me buy one))
Current:
Volvo S60 '04
Renault 21 '91
Subaru Legacy '05
Mazda RX-7 '93
Renault 5 '84

Previous:
440 2 litre, 440 Turbo, 460 Turbo, 480 Turbo x2, 854 T-5R, S40 T4, V40 T4, S70 T5 & R, V70 R x2, S60 R

AcidicDavey

Post by AcidicDavey » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:48 pm

Good ones are a bit more expensive than when that was made! Love wheeler dealers mind, be cool if they did a 480, never going to happen though obviously :D

I did have my eye on this example - Looks fooking stunning for the money!

But if I do actually end up selling the 480 which is doubtful really I'd end up with a BMW E30, preferably a Touring. Always wanted one and now it just feels the right time. Or of course get the V70 back on the road :D

jamesy12345
480 Veteran

Post by jamesy12345 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:02 am

Yeah saw that one)) nice. They are a little heavy I think, put me off
Current:
Volvo S60 '04
Renault 21 '91
Subaru Legacy '05
Mazda RX-7 '93
Renault 5 '84

Previous:
440 2 litre, 440 Turbo, 460 Turbo, 480 Turbo x2, 854 T-5R, S40 T4, V40 T4, S70 T5 & R, V70 R x2, S60 R

AcidicDavey

Re: Poppy the Celebration - AcidicDavey's Turn!!

Post by AcidicDavey » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:34 pm

Random Pics :P

Where these pics where taken is the same place as those of my V70 in the other post!
ImageImage

And my personal favourite...

I'm going to stop talking about selling it now (or should I say for now???), I offered the car for a swap for something on eBay and the guy was actually interested and then it hit me, 'Do I really want to change it? Could end up with a bag of crap!'

So yeah, that's that for now!

I got the exhaust repaired the other day, it's quite unbelievable the difference a small blow from a joint can make to the car, runs so much better now, it just wants to gooo!!

I have been waiting to fix the info centre as I was waiting on some bulbs for some of the switch gear on the dash and I can't be bothered with taking it out twice! Went to Halfords and the bulbs were £1.99 each! Got a pack of 10 off ebay delivered for less than the price 3 from them!

P.S. I'm sorry about the poor quality photos, I've found since getting my new camera the images go crap when they're uploaded to photobucket so what's the bloody point lol

Well Friday was the first time I've seen a 480 on the road while mine's been out! A white celeb' just a min from my home, made me feel really weird lol. The person I was with was like "Woooooow!!" (And this is a guy that hates Volvos never mind 480s!) And I then told him about the 480 sitting on a container in a farm yard under a barn near us. I've mentioned it here previously I think but it's such a weird sight to behold! The first time I saw it up there was in the V70 so at least before June! But, my friend convinced me to stop and have a look from the gate. I think you know where this is going...

He tried to get me to go and knock on the farmhouse but you lot probably know what I'm like, "No man, we're going!" I gave in but no one was in, we went back to the yard gate and then the house owners pulled up behind us. Long story cut short, the Car is for sale, it's a Turbo like I thought (wheels and a front splitter) and we've got the owner's number. If it's the right price...

So yeah, last week or so I was talking about selling the 480 but now I'm tempted to buy another!!!
Insane.

My new dash bulbs arrived on Saturday so out it came. The info centre has been totally dead for the last few days, took out the binnacle and it seems it was just the one plug loose on the back! Been perfect since! Used 3 of the bulbs; ashtray, fog light switches and one for the centre of the heated switch panel. Also, broke the hazard switch trying to replace the bulb in there. Obviously I'm going to need another :( But again today the info centre has been fine :)

I'll keep you updated on the Turbo front, you never know...

AcidicDavey

Post by AcidicDavey » Tue May 07, 2013 10:07 pm

Not much going on here at the moment.

Haven't bothered calling about that 480 Turbo, little money etc. But hey, it's hardly going anywhere!

A few days ago with a buddy driving around with the camera we thought we'd pull over for some pics of this old Jag XJ (series II I think?). Been there for as long as I remember, poor old girl.

It's just round this corner but for some reason Google street view doesn't go round the corner! :(
There used to be a Mk2 Granada Estate there too but that probably died on the track I imagine like most.

While I was there I had too...

It's really dusty now with all this dry weather.

The info-centre has still been perfectly fine so it really was just the loose connector! Lucky me lol
Buuut... The front suspension however is starting to knock/squeek, sounds like a top mount to me. So we need new dampers, lowering springs and since bits are stupidly cheap we'll get rid of all those possible failings with new droplinks, top mounts, track rod-ends and ball joints and possibly the bushes although that's probably going too far!

P.S. I wish the a/c still blew ice cold air!

AcidicDavey

Post by AcidicDavey » Sat May 25, 2013 7:56 pm

Right.

Not a huge amount happening here.

Got a replacement info switch (which btw, is still working perfectly) with clear writing on it, mine was all worn off. I also chanced buying a replacement hazard switch in the hope that the light in it would work but no luck and I'm not going to bust another trying to open it lol

Waxed the car the other week but yeah you guessed it, during wax-off it started to bloody rain!!

Anyway, here are a couple of picies :D

And then one in high town, Hereford:

Also, you may notice that I put my initials on the windscreen as I'm a sad little bugger :)

And some black 480 profile stickers:

Yesterday I went over the car AGAIN! Here it is (and yes I have blackened the tyres since this pic):

Still haven't been able to get money together for the suspension upgrade :(

AcidicDavey

Post by AcidicDavey » Fri May 31, 2013 8:21 pm

So on Wednesday I was liking the idea of selling this to buy a different car, then yesterday I thought vividly about selling to spend the dosh on the V70.
That is a silly Idea trust me! It'd just be money down the drain as I'd never see it back where as by having the money tied up in a different car I'm essential better off aren't I?

Today however I've got the thought of not being even slighlty interested in selling, what am I like eh? I'd ask too much for it, waste money by getting tyres for the original wheels and look a fool by putting it for sale and probably withdrawing it :p

I got some bits from glasgowjim this morning so this afternoon they were fitted! A new hazard switch so I could put a new bulb in it, a glove box pin, a centre console large bin wwith no broken tabs and an unbroken seatbelt buckle thing. Bought one to replace the front passie one as my passengers keep moaning about scratching themselves on it, especially the barsteward that broke it! I dare no fit it yet as I may end up breaking the little stopper that stops it sliding down the belt.

Also, the other week a CD got stuck in the stereo so I decided to swap it for my identical spare radio but the buttons on that are fucked! You press the volume up button and you guessed it, it'd stick and go up to full, you press the down key and then it goes back down and mutes! Frustrating! You can't just swap the face panels for some reason so I had to do the achingly fiddly job again of swapping the internals of the face plates. So now I have a different stereo to what I had originally (but still the same, boy this is confusing!), the same face plate outer case and the majority of buttons but the actual motherboard bit is of the replacement stereo, two bads for one good un'! Why don't I just give in and buy a different stereo eh?!

While the dash was out to fit the Hazard Switch with a now working bulb I applied some runny glue to the back of the ever worsening dash corner to help keep it together and to be honest the crack looks pretty much invisible now, just 2 small hairline cracks. So that should be sorted now :). All dash lights are now perfect so my ocd can be at piece at last!

AcidicDavey

Post by AcidicDavey » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:58 pm

On Sunday I (kind of) broke down :(.

We were coming up to a tight little roundabout that has good visibility so easy to take speed through but my friend goes "Please Dave, for the love of God, go round it sensible for this time!". I did. Very sensibly.

When going up Aylestone Hill after the car began to stall so I pulled over thinking maybe one of the vacuum hoses off the inlet manifold was loose, but no. So we set off again as we were only 3 miles from home (even though it's the complete other side of our little city!) but it got worse! Hesitating and missing hugely under load. Not good. Half way through Hereford at the main roundabout it was about to konk out so I pulled into the mini Bus Station behind Tesco (good job it was Sunday!). It practically died. After a small amount of thought I decided we might as well go and get some fuel (even though the trip said there was 20 miles worth left!).

So we walked the mile or so home to get a can and stopped off at Sainsbury's on the way back to get some fuel and a drink, it was bloody hot! When we got back to the car in went the fuel (for us and the car!) and brum! She was fine! Feeeew I thought.

So yeah, don't believe your trip computers folks!

Yesterday me and a couple of Friends went for a walk so it was a perfect chance to get some photography practice in, the one took some of the car on the go, haven't got them off him yet but he says they ****e! "The colour of the car makes it difficult to get a good photo of in this light bla bla bla."

Oh I don't know...

AcidicDavey

Post by AcidicDavey » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:22 pm

Hi guys, after much thought this car will be for sale soonish :)

Just have to get some new tyres for the original wheels and then we'll be ready to go, I've written up an ad in preparation and believe me it's a biggie! It's just time for something else but for now have some pics from this evening. The car is really dirty although it probably doesn't look it in the photos, and yes I've decided to stop using photobucket for a while as for some reason it just takes detail from the pics and makes it look a bit blocky, it seems that Flickr doesn't but it's **** to use!

What will I be replacing her with? I really don't know. There are too many cars I want! We'll have to see what's available when the time comes :). BMW E30, Peugeot 205 GTi, Saab 900 Turbo, Volvo 850 R, MK2 Golf. There are quite a few on my bucket list!

For now though, bye ;).

AcidicDavey

Post by AcidicDavey » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:32 am

Well after 8 HOURS(!) yesterday with the rag I got her looking absolutely stunning!

First, she was washed.
So rinsed with the hose, thoroughly through the arches and cleaning the tyres and liners with an old brush (can't stand seeing dirt on the plastic arch liners etc). Got my two buckets, one containing Bilt Hamber Autowash (my first time using this shampoo) and the other just water to rinse the lambs wool wash mitt. Started with the roof then the windscreen and passenger side windows. Then, bonnet, top of door and wings, front bumper and finally below the moldings. Then rinsing the car again with the hose aiming down to help blast the shampoo off the car, drying the whole car after with my micro fibre towel, folding it as I go. Due to my hose which is slightly too short (no jokes please!) I have to turn the car around to do the driver's side and repeating the above tactics leaving the rear of the car till last as it's the dirtiest. Before starting on the bodywork though I brush the wheels down while blasted by the hose, the dirt comes off very easily, last sealed before I installed them in March or whenever it was.

So, she's clean, now I need a break as it's soo dam hot!
As the sun is still out the front since the house is south-east facing so time for the vacuum. Using the brush attachment I start by going over all the trim and seats, especially the rears as I don't often have people in the rear as no one fits behind me! Then remove the posh mats and brush the carpets with a dustpan brush to loosen any clingons, then hoover obviously. The mats are of such high quality in these cars that you never need to hoover them, just hold the vertically against a wall and brush them following the pile. Doing this every couple of weeks means I hardly ever have to vacuum the car, just brush the mats off, simples!

Since I wasted enough time hoovering and petting the kitty the car was now in the shade so time for the clay.
For the first time I used a Bilt Hamber (you may see a pattern here :D) Soft Clay Bar. Cheap, easy to use and usable with water so convenient too. I have my spray bottle with water and a clear plastic pot with water in it. Use a clear container to put the clay in when you need to put it down, with a clear one it's easier to spot any filth in the water, if you spot any specs in it then renew the water. I used a container my crappy microwaveable burger I had for lunch was in! After doing the whole car half a panel at a time, drying as I go I went on and did the wheels with the 1/5 of the bar I used, which by the end of it was barely marked at all. I did the exhaust too and saved the bit of clay to use again on the tailpipe but obviously not the paint work.

You're expect me to polish now aren't you? No point, doesn't need it on this occasion, the paint's smooth and obviously nice and glossy. Sooo, now it was time to try something new, some AutoBalm, yes another Bilt Hamber product!
My first impressions were that it is really difficult to apply. Following the instructions and using the applicator supplied it snagged against the surface (is that normal?) and after applied it was also difficult to buff off as again the cloth was snagging against the stuff but at least one wipe was pretty much enough and it didn't create any dust. The finish however is glorious, almost impossible to smudge or smear and the swirl marks have been dramatically reduced but after all that work I was completely knackered!

I've rabbited on enough here I think, take a lookie!

Obviously we had to go for a drive and a pose, sort of wish we didn't though as the car ended up getting quite dusty on our country roads. Sorry one or two shots are a little blurry, I need a tripod really.

When back in Hereford I was awarded for my hard work by spotting this car that I've spotted about a few times parked down a close. When I drove by I saw it in the corner of my eye so just had to turn around since I had the camera on me!

I really do wish Hereford was a bit bigger, if you want to go for a cruise you have to leave the 'city' really which means the car get's filthy (which it is now due to the bloody weather!), if you don't leave then you'll be home after doing a loop in about 10minutes! I sort of wish I had a thirstier car so I wouldn't leave the city! Today, driving around when the range light came on (so 8 litres of fuel left!) it predicted I could, based on the driving I was doing, do 95 miles before conking out. That works out at over 50mpg! And no, I'm not a slow driver, just a very very smooth one. ;)

Well that's it for today, a bit longer that it needed to be!

AcidicDavey

Post by AcidicDavey » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:33 pm

Today the car looks pretty cheap at the moment, took the badges off as the paint on them has bubbled up due to the terrible primer I used when I painted them, the question now though is do I paint them Black again or do I do the rears in body colour? Probably Black, we'll see.

Don't like the look of this car without the badges on the back!

BTW, the cars high on my list are as follows:
- Volvo 850 R
- BMW E30, preferably a 318is but too expensive!
- VW Golf MK2
- Saab 900 Classic
- Peugeot 205 GTi
Those are the top 5, not in any order, changes everyday!

jamesy12345
480 Veteran

Post by jamesy12345 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:26 pm

Yes, stick the badges back on Davey :)

May I add another one to your list.....309 GTI? My mate is restoring one - just my opinion but I prefer them to the 205

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... &mid=73101
Current:
Volvo S60 '04
Renault 21 '91
Subaru Legacy '05
Mazda RX-7 '93
Renault 5 '84

Previous: