Poppy the Celebration - AcidicDavey's Turn!!

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

AcidicDavey
Can tell where the 480 was built

Re: Celebration - AcidicDavey's Turn!!

Post by AcidicDavey » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:56 pm

And the big clean is complete!! It only took 2 hours with my buddy plus of course the car wasn't dirty, just a bit of dust. I washed, he rinsed, over very quickly indeed! Then dried and clayed, dried and polished and the finally buffed up nicely. My buddy likes washing cars but he is a bit ignorant towards detailing! He goes, 'I'd just T-cut it personally!' Are you stupid Wayne? When it was finished though he had to admit how good it looks! Really really smart, this car looks stunning for a car of over 17 years old, my camera doesn't do it justice, I'm trying to save for a dslr so that'll help!

Anyway, here's the clay bar after just doing the roof. It was fun using the clay, never have before but will again lol. Just to let you know it was a Bilt Hamber Regular Clay Kit :thumbs_up:

Only managed to apply wax to the roof before the rain started :(

I sort of regret offset mounting the front plate, oh well! Also, there's no headlight on the drivers' side at the moment hence it looks mis-shaped.

Polished the rear lights which has a very good effect indeed! Also put the VOLVO badge on but it started raining right after so the 480 one is still not on yet, they look good mind imo.

The number plate looks fine mounted against the bumper, the lights are tilted towards the plate so all is good ;)

BTW, just to let you know I did all this after dropping a trolley jack on my foot in the morning!

Ouch!!
Poppy sold 2 year ago, sorely missed :(

Now driving my 98 V70 AWD inherited 8 years ago!

jamesy12345
480 Veteran

Post by jamesy12345 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:41 am

Ouch indeed! Apart from the squashed toe ( :angry: ), looks very good!!
Current:
Volvo S60 '04
Renault 21 '91
Subaru Legacy '05
Mazda RX-7 '93
Renault 5 '84

Previous:
440 2 litre, 440 Turbo, 460 Turbo, 480 Turbo x2, 854 T-5R, S40 T4, V40 T4, S70 T5 & R, V70 R x2, S60 R

AcidicDavey

Post by AcidicDavey » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:21 pm

Cheers!

I peeked out of one of the upstairs window this morning and there was a bloody kitten trying to jump on the car! :angry:
It jumped up to the bonnet but slipped off :boom:
Thankfully, no marks left as it was wet and it just slid off lol

Put the 480 badge on this morning, looks smart with the ghosted badges imo!

It'll get mot this week, promise!

AcidicDavey

Post by AcidicDavey » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:24 pm

We have fully functioning pop ups!!!
Bloody nightmare to swap out the motor but it's done now!

Swapped the 2 around as she's booked in at the garage for the mot TOMORROW!! :D
Got a couple of pics of them on the roadside, really need to give the V70 a good going over now mind!

I need to go over the driver's side again as my buddy who did the polishing missed a couple of spots when buffing, too wet to do it today though!

So, MOT tomorrow!!! She's already insured so I'll be able to tax it too once she's passed!!

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:57 am

Looking good!

Best of luck for the MOT.....

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

AcidicDavey

Post by AcidicDavey » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:52 pm

Well David she's passed!!
Just needed the front calipers easing off a bit as they were biding a bit, I was a bit worried about the exhaust as last year they put an advisory on it due to it's volume lol. I should have the car back but the starter motor has failed and the garage can't get the car started :( Obviously I've ordered a new one and that's on the way. There was one occasion when the car was on the road were it would turn over after one drive so I'm not surprised that it's failed, it just means it's going to be a few more days until I can get the car back!

AcidicDavey

Post by AcidicDavey » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:46 pm

The new starter arrived on Friday at 12:30 and I ran down to the garage with it and I got 'the call' at 4pm to go and collect the car, the starter was the correct one which I was unsure about. It now starts with much more confidence than before, the boss said they were never able to get the car started once without a push start lol, it's weird that I didn't have any issue like when moving the cars around on the drive since I only had 1 battery the car had to be started 3 times, all of which were issue free!

It failed the MOT first time for the front brake imbalance due to a sticking caliper as previously said and no advisories!!! Not even for the exhaust which is far quieter than I remember and a damn lot quieter than the MK3 Golf I had!

So I've done over 120miles completely trouble free. The brakes no longer squeal, the rear suspension doesn't chatter anymore but the rear tyres do deflate slightly so I'll have to get a new pair. Thankfully, the new wheels I have that are without centre caps won't be needing me to buy any, the spare old style Volvo caps I have fit perfectly! and they suit!

When I last saw my one buddy 4 weeks ago he said if you don't have that car on the road by the time I come home again I'll have to hit you! I made, by less than an hour lol! I went to pick him up from the train station right after I collected it ;)

I'll get some pics up tomorrow but she is a bit dirty due to wet weather so I might give her a clean in the morning if possible.

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:07 pm

Well done on the MOT!

Glad you got the starter motor problem sorted too - go have some fun driving her now!

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

AcidicDavey

Post by AcidicDavey » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:14 pm

First pics in this forum with the car on the road! Woo!

She playing nicely, quicker than I remember :thinking2: and then with the little exhaust farting away, I'll have to upload a video sometime maybe!

Anyway, here are some pics like promised after a nice spruce up again!

The last pics of the current wheels hopefully!

Random interior shot, standard mats!

Somewhere else,

AcidicDavey

Post by AcidicDavey » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:06 pm

As promised, I got the wheels and some new tyres so we now have Avon ZV5 185/55 R15 all round. May I say that widening the track on this car has transformed the handling! The ride is a touch more harsh but the weight of the steering is increased to an acceptable level which gives much more confidence, the castor effect is much more obvious, in other words when you let go of the steering it wants to straighten itself up quicker than it used to. Simply the best automotive change I ever done, seriously!

Pics!!! Volvo centre caps and Black + Red dot dice valve caps :cool:

Sweeet!!

AcidicDavey

Post by AcidicDavey » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:07 pm

Have some random shots from my day about :D

Earlier I wrote:
Work to do:
1. Clean exterior.
2. Fit new discs and pads all round, I'll also paint the calipers so colour ideas please! I'm thinking black or silver.
3. Fit new rear anti roll bar links.
4. Fit new downpipe as the old one has been welded up several times it seems.
5. Fix o/s headlight as it's currently failing to 'pop up'.
6. Remove interior and clean it all thoroughly.
7. Source good rear light clusters.
8. Figure out why the rear suspension was chattering when on the road, I'm told it's more than likely due to the damper bolts coming slightly loose.
9. Give her a good service with genuine parts.
10. Possibly she'll need some new rear tyres due to cracking in the side wall which is a shame as they have loads of tread and are a good brand.
11. Sort srs light for MOT

So, here's what's gone down:
1. Exterior spruced up.
2. New rear brembo discs and pads, fronts responded well to a good clean.
3. Fitted rear drop links, advisory on last years MOT.
4. Not bothered, not blowing.
5. Fixed with a replacement motor.
6. Couldn't remove the seats as the bolts were covered underneath with underseal so I left alone, haven't cleaned it either, just wiped down!
7. dcw helped me with the lights :thumbs_up:, only good ones I could find.
8. This was just the drop links! Suspension is creak free!
9. Service complete with genuine parts.
10. Rear tyres replaced which probably wasn't completely necessary but better to be safe :thumbs_up:
11. Still on now, wasn't an issue apparently!

Stuff still to do:
1. Keep it clean!
2. Clean carpets and seats thoroughly.
3. Ummm... Oh I got one!
4. Look into replacing rear engine mount as a) The engine shakes around a bit and b) Sometimes difficult to engage reverse.
5. Sort rough ideal from cold.
6. Fit front plate in the centre?

AcidicDavey

Post by AcidicDavey » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:53 pm

Proof! I'm keeping this one clean, 3 washes in 3 weeks!

The car definitely has a small issue now though, an electrical fault :(. The lights flicker inside and out plus it doesn't seem smooth. Plus, just to confirm things my volts gauge needle bobs about like a mad thing when it's doing it! I'm guessing the belt is loose or the alternator is on the way out.

AcidicDavey

Post by AcidicDavey » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:01 pm

Here are some pics up in the Malverns!! Sorry about the picture quality but it was late and getting dark.

Magic Numbers ;)

Here's a video of the volt meter. Sorry about Dakota ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5OHE6nm ... el&list=UL

I'm pretty sure now that maybe it's just the earth from the battery, another owner of one of these has told me he had something similar happen with his. If not it doesn't really matter as I have a brand new alternator lying around anyway!

Here's a video my buddy took in the car on the go but the numpty with his 'smart' phone...well you'll see what I mean.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9Ozi7gXbyA

P.S. I would definitely be lowering it if it didn't mean ruining the handling, but in this case it does so...

AcidicDavey

Post by AcidicDavey » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:03 pm

The car's still doing it's game but I haven't looked into it yet nor have I driven it much but today it was quite bad around town. Holding it at 2k rpm in 3rd was very jerky for example! I definitely think it's the alternator but hey it might be something simple? Here's hoping!

AcidicDavey

Post by AcidicDavey » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:53 pm

Soooo, I gave in and revealed the battle scars.
Looks much better but the condition of the paint isn't great, she definitely wouldn't be welcome on a show field!

Being outside, the car does leave itself open to paint damage and sure enough there's a new small scratch on the roof and on one headlight! Bloody cats! Overall though it's a real good thing that it's not in the garage any more, it quite literally is on the point of falling down! The mortar has dried up and there are cracks and loose bricks, the hedge at the back is pushing the bricks out! The roof is being held up by paint cans on a shelf of the wall that is falling apart! Not good :(, but can we afford to knock it down and replace? Like hell can we! I vote that we knock it down and build a car port and a shed in the back garden were there's currently a greenhouse but all that will cost at least 2k I'd say!

AcidicDavey

Post by AcidicDavey » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:20 pm

Since it was a lovely afternoon I took the motor down the road for some pics in the sun.

And outside the Abbey you see in the back ground of the others:

AcidicDavey

Post by AcidicDavey » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:42 am

The 480 is still behaving itself and it gets the cleaning treatment it deserves, could do with another good going over though as the bottom sides of the car feel rough when you wipe them over with the mitt, needs to be clayed again I guess?

The other week it looked like this after about 400 miles:

After just a fast wash:

If anyone on here doesn't see the point in waxing/sealing your wheels then look below, before:

Ok it doesn't look that bad in that pic but after just washing with a brush and a bucket of water (no chemicals) they look like this:

Well worth doing!

Here's that sticker I was on about last month, says it all really!

It's filthy now though after the driving we've been doing recently!

AcidicDavey

Post by AcidicDavey » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:54 pm

Apparently, the car's got a mini feature in this months Retro Rides reader's ride section. Haven't got my copy yet :hopping:

I washed the car on Thursday, washed it again today too! My fingers are still numb lol

Ok, I know this car isn't at all related to my old man but since it's over 5 years now I thought I'd add a little tribute to him :)

I did intend to clay and polish the car tomorrow but snow is forecasted so I doubt this'll happen :( Also, meant to be going to a mates up the road on Tuesday but if it's snowing I doubt I'll bother. Don't want to fill the car with crud and shit!

AcidicDavey

Post by AcidicDavey » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:09 pm

We did indeed have a little bit of snow but it soon went due to rain!

Took a few bits down to the tip so I went home via the pointless half bypass for a couple of pics :)

I know this thread is a bit boring these days due to no money so don't ecpect much more from here than an odd smart photo :)

AcidicDavey

Post by AcidicDavey » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:30 pm

Got my copy of Retro Cars this morning, they aren't helping me with my dilemma of whether I should buy a dslr or spend some money on this old thing! Camera is the way to go I think!

Got a couple of videos but the cameraman is a numpty and they had half the road conned off so I could hardly get up to speed :(. Plus, the video's are poor quality :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGNB9sVJTyc

This one makes the car sound much raspier than it really is! (Warm start by the way!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4rqcGnXWmM

And then a few photos for well, why the hell not eh?

Nice sky in this one :)

Snow on the 'mountains' in the distance here!

One more thing before I go, I'm tempted to vinyl wrap the roof as there's a bit of lacquer peel the size of 50p piece (always been there) in black, any thoughts? Worth a go as I can easily remove it!